WWE Payback 2015 - Discussion Thread

Discuss anything about the WWF/WWE past or present.
Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Re: WWE Payback 2015 - Discussion Thread

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon May 18, 2015 9:25 am

Pretty shit finish to Rusev/Cena I felt. Rusev won the match, but they refused to call for the bell because Cena couldn't literally say I quit? I can't remember this ever happening before.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Mon May 18, 2015 9:42 am

Considering Eden Styles laid it out very clearly in the match announcement "The only way to win is to LITERALLY make your opponent say the words I quit", that makes it pretty unambiguous. Rusev overdid it by making Cena pass out.

It's like when in a book or movie they torture someone and accidentally kill them instead of hurting them right to the line and then stopping. I remember that happening on 24, they were torturing Jack Bauer and they actually stopped his heart, and had to resuscitate him before he stayed dead

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon May 18, 2015 11:04 am

Right, and that's what made it a weird stipulation. They've had guys lose I Quit matches before when they passed out but not this time. It made for a weird finish because everyone saw that Rusev won. When someone is passed out, their body has quit, just because they can't vocalize it doesn't mean they didn't quit.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Mon May 18, 2015 11:27 am

The most famous one I can think of is the Rock/Mankind I Quit match, and Rock won that by playing a tape of Mankind saying I quit after he passed out. But the words were still said. Remind me of a an I Quit match that did end without the words coming out, cause I don't actually remember any ending like that of the top of my head

Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Post by Big slim » Mon May 18, 2015 11:29 am

Goob, I was just about to type that one up as an example. Rusev should've planned ahead.

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

Aftermath
Mid Carder

Post by Aftermath » Mon May 18, 2015 11:40 am

GooberBM wrote:Considering Eden Styles laid it out very clearly in the match announcement "The only way to win is to LITERALLY make your opponent say the words I quit", that makes it pretty unambiguous. Rusev overdid it by making Cena pass out.

It's like when in a book or movie they torture someone and accidentally kill them instead of hurting them right to the line and then stopping. I remember that happening on 24, they were torturing Jack Bauer and they actually stopped his heart, and had to resuscitate him before he stayed dead
Considering Eden Styles laid it out very clearly in the match announcement "The only way to win is to LITERALLY make your opponent say the words I quit"....

RUSEV NEVER LITERALLY SAID "I Quit"

And for the entire last month and even before the match, Rusev made it Clear that he can say "I Quit" in English. Hell, The ref was in the ring during the pre fight promo where Rusev asked Cena to say "I quit" and spare himself the beatdown he was going to get.

So, Rusev does not win the match by making Cena pass out for 5 min, but Cena wins by never getting Rusev to say "I Quit"???

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Mon May 18, 2015 12:21 pm

Now that is a very fair complaint and one I had with Jama as we watched the show. We settled on the idea that Lana translated that one for the ref, because she didn't say that she was throwing in the towel for Rusev, she said "he says he quits". Rusev may or may not have been saying it in Bulgarian, which is why he's pissed at Lana for outing him and told her to get out.

Either way, I'm expecting this to carry into Raw tonight, some way or another.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Post by AndyF1069 » Mon May 18, 2015 1:12 pm

Lana tweeted that exact thing. "I was translating for Rusev"
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Post by Big slim » Mon May 18, 2015 1:16 pm

I wasn't paying attention, but did they do anything with the IC title last night?

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Mon May 18, 2015 1:23 pm

It's going to be up for grabs at elimination chamber in 2 weeks so there was nothing to be done with it last night.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

coco
Mid Carder

Post by coco » Mon May 18, 2015 1:48 pm

Great PPV. There seems to be a trend of underwhelm build up and excellent execution lately. Maybe it is because I expect so little based on the weekly shows that watch the PPVs without expectations.

The main event was just too much fun. Credits to the guy who make me forget for a quick second that there was no other logical outcome but to have Rollings retain. Loved the shield reunion spot.

I'm loving everything about heel Sheamus. It really makes me want to punch him in the face and shave that haircut so good job! His matches with Ziggler has been really entertaining and though I can do without the arse-kissing they have been able to build him as a legit threat without burying Ziggler.

1999 Kurt Angle meets the Bella twins and there you have your New Day. Another heel act I just dislike (in the good and intended way).

As for the I quit match, love the whole dynamic of it. These two really put together great matches. The ending will definitely bring controversy today and it will help not bury Rusev who's been in a terrible streak since Mania. Sure, it's what happens when you are paired with Cena (Spoilers: he wins) but still he needs a new feud to pick up steam.
towney007 wrote:Oh and btw... to the 'duhhhhhhhh *drool* Taker don't wear no suitz~' comment: **Shows picture of Calaway in a suit**
Svck my d~ck with sh!t on it.

Aftermath
Mid Carder

Post by Aftermath » Mon May 18, 2015 1:50 pm

GooberBM wrote:Now that is a very fair complaint and one I had with Jama as we watched the show. We settled on the idea that Lana translated that one for the ref, because she didn't say that she was throwing in the towel for Rusev, she said "he says he quits". Rusev may or may not have been saying it in Bulgarian, which is why he's pissed at Lana for outing him and told her to get out.

Either way, I'm expecting this to carry into Raw tonight, some way or another.

And the ref kept putting the mic up to John Cena and asking him "Do you Quit" John Cena kept saying "No"! So you didnt have to say "I Quit", You could of just answered "Yes" when the ref asked.

When the Ref asked Rusev if he quit throughout the match, Rusev kept saying no in either russian or Bulgarian!!!!

So, the Ref clearly understood yes and no in either russian or bulgarian!!!

When Lana said "He says he Quit" Isnt it the refs job to ask Russev if he quits like he has done the entire match and understood when Rusev said no?!?!?!?!

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Mon May 18, 2015 2:10 pm

Much like Seth using an RKO in a match where the RKO was banned, we shall use this loophole to keep the aggrieved party from "looking weak". That's how I'm going to go with it

coco
Mid Carder

Post by coco » Mon May 18, 2015 2:17 pm

Time to quote Max Landis?
towney007 wrote:Oh and btw... to the 'duhhhhhhhh *drool* Taker don't wear no suitz~' comment: **Shows picture of Calaway in a suit**
Svck my d~ck with sh!t on it.

Aftermath
Mid Carder

Post by Aftermath » Mon May 18, 2015 2:21 pm

Seth using the RKO
Sheamus not kissing Ziggler's ass
Rusev not saying I Quit

Its been real bad lately

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Mon May 18, 2015 2:33 pm

You say bad, I say fantastic

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Mon May 18, 2015 3:26 pm

Bret vs Stone cold at wm 13 came to mind when Cena passed out they could have let rusev win and emphasised that rusev won but he never made Cena say I quit

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Mon May 18, 2015 3:37 pm

That wasn't an I quit match.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Mon May 18, 2015 3:47 pm

I forgot all about payback last night but its good to see Rollins retain I just don't
see where orton fits in all of this.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Mon May 18, 2015 4:21 pm

Where does Ambrose fit it into it?

If you forgot about the show then you probably weren't paying much attention to know why Orton or Ambrose were involved. Kane is testing/trapping Rollins which is why a triple threat and eventually a fatal four way were made. This match wasn't about The Shield, the three of them just happen to be the most relevant people to have put into the match.