WWE Battleground 2015 - Discussion Thread

Discuss anything about the WWF/WWE past or present.
Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Re: WWE Battleground 2015 - Discussion Thread

Post by Little Jimmy » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:01 pm

Why don't you just go shit yourself, Red? Go shit your knickers in the corner. :x

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:02 pm

I would but then I wouldn't be able to shit on WWE.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:07 pm

They likely just didn't bother planning out a technical conclusion to the match, no announcements cues or whatever. Taker returning and attacking Lesnar sort of explains itself, it's one of those big moments where we're supposed to not notice something like that.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:11 pm

Then save it for RAW. PPV isn't the time or place to go black when there's a title match going on.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

meta
Title Contender

Post by meta » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:27 pm

Taker's return is supposed to trump all that nonsense and who cares about the damn bell ringing.

I hate this for other reasons...mainly because I think there's a possibility Taker doesn't walk away from the next match with Brock.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:46 pm

Because Taker has been a draw in his career? He's a big deal but has been a part timer for years. It would make far more sense to have Taker come back on RAW tomorrow than do some bs finish because they are afraid to pin Lesnar.

Taker is hardly relevant anymore, there's no rhyme or reason to have WWE Title matches ever being secondary to anything.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:36 am

Jesus, Taker coming back and beating on Lesnar? Why? Lesnar beat him clean, Rollins destroys his brother. I try to find ways to watch the WWE again full time but I see this shit and I am kind of glad I don't give that many shits anymore. I mean, do we really need to see Lesnar gently beat an old man he has already beaten fair and square at Wrestlemania of all places? I wish the WWE had some competition but as it stand they can basically do what ever they want and not give a shit.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:29 am

Oh that's what we're supposed to tune into RAW Monday to figure out LK! Book the PPV so people need to tune into the free TV show. It's a TNA/WCW strategy.

But they had 15 minutes left, why not have Rollins roll in and just get a simple pinfall after Taker does all the damage. If they were pressed for time okay but they went black at 10:45. Like are they that afraid of pinning Lesnar after The Undertaker of all people and beats him down? We all know he was beat anyway, we aren't going to think less of Lesnar after Rollins pins him under these circumstances.

I think we're starting to see the damaging effects of being so reliant on part timers for these big shows. These headline matches are opportunities for them to create new stars and there's basically going to be 2 headline matches, the WWE Title match and Taker/Lesnar rematch, which will feature 1 active wrestler, 1 active character, 2 part timers. That's not a productive way to create stars. Keep in mind how shitty the show was booked in general tonight too.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:12 am

If Taker wanting revenge on the man that broke his Wrestlemania streak and made him question his mortality, before coming back at this year's Wrestlemania and looking rather rejuvenated for his advanced age, isn't a story you're interested in that's fine.

To act like there is no story there at all, or it makes no sense, is just completely disingenuous

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

meta
Title Contender

Post by meta » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:01 am

There's story there, no doubt about it. But I'm worried that Mark Calloway will not be able to walk away from this one. Last time, he suffered a concussion and collapsed as soon as he made it backstage and had to be taken to the hospital. That was a year and a half ago. What would happen this time? His body is completely shot. He needed to walk away long ago.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:09 am

I don't really buy the Streak excuse although that will ultimately be used. In kayfabe, if that was the case, why didn't Undertaker challenge Lesnar to a match at WM 31?

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:14 am

Because he was a broken man. Bray challenging him, and then Taker rolling him over at Mania showed Taker that he is not, in fact broken. Then Brock got suspended the very next night. This is the very first opportunity that Taker has had to get his hands on Brock in a way that would matter to Brock, since Taker got his groove back. That's simple logic

As for Taker's health, he actually looks healthy and ready to go. Yes lifting a 300 lb. guy for a Tombstone ain't simple physics for him anymore, but he looks more physically capable than he has since WM 27 when the wheels came all the way off for him. If he won't walk away, no matter how much I'd like, at least he looks less like a crippled old man

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:30 am

Where's this story that he was broken coming from? When did Taker have to prove to himself that he wasn't broken or even exhibit that he may have been broken?

It's just shitty storytelling, again.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:44 am

That whole thing about Bray Wyatt calling Taker exactly that and that he's going to become the New Face of Fear when he took The Undertaker's legacy at Wrestlemania

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:15 am

When did The Undertaker ever remotely show that he was broken? Brat Wyatt saying it doesn't make it so, the content of his promos are all over the place.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:31 am

Maybe the fact that Taker couldn't even muster the energy to refute anything that Wyatt said, until it was time to step into the stadium for Wrestlemania. When was the last time he stayed in the shadows right through the ENTIRE Wrestlemania build? If you dig into that psychology even a little bit, you have to wonder if Undertaker was walking into that match with Wyatt expecting to lose, as he no longer was the Face of Fear. He wasn't prepared to lie down and accept his fate, but there were signs that he at least wasn't going in feeling confident about his chances.

So, Undertaker coming out of this year's Wrestlemania would perhaps feel that he did warrant another go with Brock Lesnar, where he wouldn't have felt himself worthy beforehand. This is the first chance to make a big statement sinc then, so... logic.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

Benf_uk
Developmental Talent

Post by Benf_uk » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:33 am

Taker returning on a show not called Wrestlemania is a far bigger deal than Bork winning the strap, or Rollins retaining. Taker looked a little old, and his gear and hair didn't help with that, but it was Taker. Drawing power or not, for the casual fans thats a big deal.

For me the best bit about it was Heymans facial expressions in the edge of some of the shots. I'm not sure I'd say best manager ever, but he's got to be up there

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:37 am

That and Brock Lesnar, the guy who has said he respects nothing, looking like the Hand of God came down to smite him. Good thing Brock wears black because he shit himself something fierce

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:38 am

Greg_McNeish wrote:Maybe the fact that Taker couldn't even muster the energy to refute anything that Wyatt said, until it was time to step into the stadium for Wrestlemania. When was the last time he stayed in the shadows right through the ENTIRE Wrestlemania build? If you dig into that psychology even a little bit, you have to wonder if Undertaker was walking into that match with Wyatt expecting to lose, as he no longer was the Face of Fear. He wasn't prepared to lie down and accept his fate, but there were signs that he at least wasn't going in feeling confident about his chances.

So, Undertaker coming out of this year's Wrestlemania would perhaps feel that he did warrant another go with Brock Lesnar, where he wouldn't have felt himself worthy beforehand. This is the first chance to make a big statement sinc then, so... logic.
Not saying something is not necessarily admitting to something. But he didn't say anything because he just wasn't there. That's why, it had nothing to do with psychology or storytelling. He wasn't even acknowledging Wyatt's remarks because they didn't even need to be addressed. That could easily be interpreted from his silence as well.

But we might as well kill this debate since there's really no point anymore and I'm not going to agree. We're going to most likely get a shitty match again at another big stage. Undertaker looks so horrible.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Robmayn
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: sRobXMayneZe

Post by Robmayn » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:04 pm

If you need to say something to be understood, that's horrible storytelling. It is like Luke Skywalker saying "Now I am not a kid anymore" at the end of Return of the Jedi. Silence is a powerful tool in every form of art, being music, storytelling and even painting, being what they used in here. It would had been even weirder if Taker himself has said that on the mic.

If you understood another thing from that subtext, more power to you, it doesn't make you interpretation wrong or right, but it seems that the most common interpretation is that he was unsecure of going into Wrestlemania due to him not trying to confront Bray Wyatt even when he has acknowledged even less important challengers before. If you thought differently of the storyline, that's fine.

But yeah, I didn't follow up the build up and when watching the match I got that Taker was trying to look for that second chance to prove himself after the Reality Check Lesnar gave him. Taker himself even thought he was unbeateble at Wrestlemania for decades and then this happened. All of us can relate to things like that, when you thought things were one way, and they weren't, it takes some time to digest and some courage to face it yourself and it can be a trauma for some time showcasing on insecurity.

Now that he got his confidence back, he wants his revenge. It is actually really simple.