Winds of change

Discuss anything about the WWF/WWE past or present.
stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Winds of change

Post by stigsyv1 » Wed May 25, 2016 8:58 am

Wwe.com has just reported that on July 19th smackdown will air live every Tuesday night and will have its own separate roster from Raw.
So soon we will have a draft pick for the blue and red.
Who will go where ?

Quinn
VIP Member

Re: Winds of change

Post by Quinn » Wed May 25, 2016 10:11 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Thus Quoth the Quinn "When I want your opinion I'll give it to you!"

Quinn's Cement Soup - When you think of Cement Soup; Think of Quinn's Cement Soup!

Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Post by Big slim » Wed May 25, 2016 11:48 am

Well now, this is interesting. 5 straight live hours of wrestling is...a lot to take in within the span of two days, plus an extra 3-4 after a pay per view, and another hour for NXT, and another 2-3 for a Network special. Jesus that is a lot to take in.

Now with that being said this could work out. Remember, the original Brand split worked in the being because of thr seperation of the rosters and the distinction between the two. The spilt really fell apart when they started taking up Smackdown time with Raw replays and treating the brand as just a recap show. If they are smart with who writes the show and if they can book it similar to how it was in the beginning, then I think this could be a good thing.

I would say like the spilt of the past, the World, Tag Team, and Women's Championship should be used on both shows, you can have different contenders on each show, but those champs should be gunned for by teams/women/superstars from both shows. The IC and US Titles could be used as the anchor titles for either show. How each roster is structured will determine which belt goes to which show.

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Wed May 25, 2016 11:55 am

Lastly, each show will need an anchor talent. Someone who could either compete for the midcard/world title or be involved in a high profile feud, similar to how Taker and later on Edge and Randy Orton held the role for Smackdown and how HHH and HBK held it for Raw. Cena is the obvious guy to take up the role on either show, as any feud he is in will draw importance. More than likely he'll take the Raw anchor spot, but I would be interested in putting him on Smackdown, giving that show an automatic boost and bringing his career full circle in a way as that is where he got his start. Orton is a good nominee to take the other spot because he has experience in doing it before, Miz is another.

Also, Rollins and Reigns will probably be the main guy on either show when they don't have the championship.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Wed May 25, 2016 12:06 pm

Cena's going to Smackdown, no doubt about it. He's the draw to legitimize the new Live Smackdown as something must-see. Roman vs. Seth and the aftermath of that is more than enough to carry Raw but you need something that really grabs at making Smackdown something that you have to watch.

And what better than giving Smackdown the Face That Runs the Place?

PLUS Cena going home to Smackdown, the brand that turned him into a star, to revive it as a dominant brand? Yes please

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Wed May 25, 2016 2:47 pm

Cena will be the big name for smackdown just like taker was for years
For raw I think they will keep reigns on raw as the guy
And AJ will be the face of sd

meta
Title Contender

Post by meta » Wed May 25, 2016 4:38 pm

So who will be the new Smackdown Six?

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Wed May 25, 2016 5:07 pm

We'll have to see how thing shake out after the draft. The original 6 (Eddie, Chavo, Mysterio, Edge, Angle, and Benoit) happened almost naturally and I don't think anyone could've seen those guys being that good together, same (but to a far lesser extent) with the brief Smackdown 6 in 2009 (CM Punk, Edge, Jericho, Jeff Hardy, Mysterio, and John Morrison).

My money would be on AJ, and possibly Sami Zayn being two of the new 6.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Wed May 25, 2016 6:58 pm

GooberBM wrote:Cena's going to Smackdown, no doubt about it. He's the draw to legitimize the new Live Smackdown as something must-see. Roman vs. Seth and the aftermath of that is more than enough to carry Raw but you need something that really grabs at making Smackdown something that you have to watch.

And what better than giving Smackdown the Face That Runs the Place?

PLUS Cena going home to Smackdown, the brand that turned him into a star, to revive it as a dominant brand? Yes please
Oh, Yeah! bring back the blue ropes, please :) and red for raw

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Wed May 25, 2016 7:04 pm

Who books the show is another factor that can't be understated. A big reason why the brand spilt worked in the beginning was because of the booking of Smackdown by Paul Heyman.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jama7301

Post by Jama7301 » Wed May 25, 2016 11:16 pm

As I'm going through the roster, I'm just trying to pick a few names that jump out to me, because, hey, baseless speculation can be fun.

Titus, Sin Cara, Kalisto, Neville, Apollo Crews, Zayn, Owens, Rusev, Orton, Cena, Del Rio, All of the Wyatts, Darren Young, and either Corbin/Cass.

Hooray, nothing but hunches!

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Thu May 26, 2016 12:20 am

Triple H sent out a cryptic tweet that some people think has implied that NXT is coming to an end and the NXT talent might go to Smackdown. It might be a bit of a stretch but it certainly adds to speculation.

Anyway, if this halfs a lot of wrestlers workload then I am all for it.

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Thu May 26, 2016 4:43 am

They won't scrap NXT that is a entity on its own. But I can see a few move to the blue brand.

Quinn
VIP Member

Post by Quinn » Thu May 26, 2016 11:25 am

Hmmmm so everyone is wearing the rose tinted nostalgia googles, are they? Do none of you remember what the brand split became? No, just me then?

Given the track record of the WWE for things like this it will only be good for 6 to 12 months (if that) before it goes sour.

So I would like to go on record as saying this will end up as a bad thing.

What makes the WWE roster at this point in any better shape to handle a brand split then it did originally? The original brand split had the bloated roster of WWF/WCW merger to do this with, while the current roster has just been trimmed for whatever reasons.

At the moment we do not have enough information about what this is going to look like but think about what is going to happen with the titles? Specifically the WWE Heavyweight, the Women's and the Tag titles. If you remember in the original brand split the WWE champion appeared on both shows but that did not work very well, IMO.

The WWE has spent the last year or two building up the Tag division again so it is at last fairly strong. Is that division to spread over two separate rosters? With the tag titles only on one brand? What happens to the tag teams on the brand without the title?

Same thing with the Women's Title, as the WWe has made a very specific point of building up the Women's division how is that going to work over two brands? Are each of these divisions going to be on separate brands?

With all of that being said I think there is a way this could not suck like it did before.

For me Smackdown has mostly been shit for a while now. I don't know what version or edits people here get but the one we get on Sky has only approx. an hour of new stuff with the other hour being made up of RAW Rebounds, Exclusives and Rewinds showing stuff from this week's RAW (often edited wrong, IMO - with the next match been shown before the RAW recap which makes no sense). Also add in all the internal adverts for WWe events, apps and features and other promo videos.

So a live Smackdown might be better and especially if it made use of parts of the roster that get underused normally, like making the the mid-card feuds the main event.

The way I would do it would make the WWE into three divisions/league/rosters/tier, with a promotion system between them. So we would have NXT as the lowest tier where new talent is tested and taught, or taught to work the WWE way for incoming Indy talent. Wrestlers would then be promoted to the a Smackdown Roster, where they are introduced to the wider WWE universe and given more time on TV. From Smackdown they could be promoted to the prime roster on RAW, where most of the big talent would be. Of course as well as promotion there would be demotion, where a wrestler could be moved down to hone skills or repackage or whatever.

That might work as it would mean that Smackdown would been different from RAW, it would be where you go to see up and coming talent in fresh and new feuds, and not a carbon copy or poor imitation of RAW.

That would fit in with having Cena on SD! as he could do his Open Challenge type thing to bring new talent in etc...
Thus Quoth the Quinn "When I want your opinion I'll give it to you!"

Quinn's Cement Soup - When you think of Cement Soup; Think of Quinn's Cement Soup!

Creepster
Developmental Talent

Post by Creepster » Thu May 26, 2016 5:52 pm

This could be a complete lie, but rumours are that SD will be getting a new title belt. I'm guessing g it will be the cruiser weight

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Thu May 26, 2016 5:56 pm

I wonder if they will bring back the world heavyweight championship or make a new title called
Smackdown world championship? I remember one time we almost got that belt.

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Thu May 26, 2016 6:07 pm

It could be a possibility being that the cruiserweight tourney will be about the same time smackdown goes live.
But will that be the big title for sd or just a lower mid card filler like before

Robmayn
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: sRobXMayneZe

Post by Robmayn » Thu May 26, 2016 6:17 pm

I enjoyed the product more storyline wise with the Brand Split. I really enjoyed more of Smackdown, but it was hard for me to watch it on Thursdays when I was a little boy. But the roster was HUGE those days. RAW will get worse with that three hour timeslot.

I hope they keep the tag division together, it is the first time they had made that division relevant in a long time. Same with the women's división.

Although... my hopes are not high, it is WWE. They normally turn gold into shit pretty quickly.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Post by AndyF1069 » Thu May 26, 2016 6:33 pm

Smackdown got less relevant over the years when it became absolutely clear that it was the B show. This was long after the days in which Smackdown was beating Raw in the ratings with Paul Heyman booking. When all the major stars are on Raw and Raw is live, then Raw is the show to watch. When Raw became the supershow (both brand superstars could appear) then Smackdown became even more irrelevant. For most of the last couple of years, there has been very little reason to care about Smackdown. Admittedly since the move back to USA, it's been much more appealing to watch. I'm hoping that with the shift to a live Tuesday with an exclusive roster, that it becomes must see TV as it was in 2003.

I've been expecting a brand split for a long time, especially with how enormous the roster has become over the last two years (thanks to NXT). I'm hoping that lessons have been learnt, that Vince stays away from Smackdown and allows free reins to wheoever ends up handling it. NXT has taught us that simple and understandable is just as appealing as the razzle dazzle that is Raw and sometimes Smackdown.

Some examples of simple, yet exciting NXT moments. Hideo Itami feuding with The Ascension (who were THE team at the time). They kept ganging up on him, he could hold his own but eventually was overwhelmed. This brings in Finn. There was a build up and we eventually saw the Ascension get punched (and kicked) in the mouth. Sami Zayn vs Kevin Owens spoke for itself. Kevin wants to be the champ because the champ makes the most money. He attacks Sami and Sami is so incensed that he puts his title on the line in order to get his revenge against Kevin. Tyson Kidd was reestablishing himself in NXT and trying to earn the NXT title for validation. Adrian Neville is the record setting champ who doesn't plan on losing any time soon. Some great back and forth matches, Tyson coming so close. He eventually has one more match with the stipulation being if he loses, he can't challenge Neville for the title ever again. There was many things with the women too, especially with the four horsewomen all trying to establish themselves as players. Sasha unseats Charlotte, then Becky pushes Charlotte and Bayley out of the way to earn hew own title match, puts on a MOTY candidate with Sasha and is now a star. Charlotte, Sasha and Becky get called up whilst Bayley is injured, Bayley is devastated. She wants a title match to prove she is just as good as them and belongs with them. Another MOTY candidate, she wins. All four women are now stars, all four women are "must see".

I can go on and on. If Smackdown is different to Raw (other than talent available) then it has every chance of being as must see as Raw is. What remains to be seen is what the plans are to differentiate Smackdown from Raw. I believe that this is going to be a good thing in the long run, being live is a massive factor that should have huge implications on how the show is portrayed and perceived which is what will set it apart from 2009-2015 Smackdown.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Thu May 26, 2016 10:20 pm

In my ideal world, Raw would lose that 3rd hour, along with making Smackdown live on Tuesdays. I know that decision is out of WWE's hands and is on the USA Network, so there is no longer a point in talikng or complaining about it.

Like myself and Aftermath said, when Smackdown had its own feel, from about 2002-mid 2004, it was the better show to watch. Hope lessons have been learned and they don't go down the same rabbit hole and make Smackdown just a recap show with only a couple new things.

Oh and if the return of the brand spilt means we won't get literally the exact same match on Raw and Smackdown, then it will be a positive.