2017 WWE Royal Rumble thread

Discuss anything about the WWF/WWE past or present.
GooberBM
VIP Member

Re: 2017 WWE Royal Rumble thread

Post by GooberBM » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:51 am

I was making a joke about the level of the hyperbole in your opinion, which I thought was amazing. Notice how I never said anything about how they couldn't or shouldn't do that. It's cool, man

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:22 pm

http://www.wrestleview.com/wwe-news/725 ... bruary-12/

CENA/ORTON WRESTLEMANIA MAIN EVENT YES NOW DO IT DO IT!!!!!!!!

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:06 pm

I'm in a totally different place than you guys with the idea of Cena/Orton again. There's real opportunity here to build up someone else.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:09 pm

I believe this is the 2nd time John Cena won the wwe title at the royal rumble
the last time he did was against edge and he beat him for it at the 2006 show.

BioticZombie
Legend

Post by BioticZombie » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:39 pm

Roman Reigns was a heartbreaking 30th entrant placing, but for all the right reasons.

I wish he won, because then the audience would have had stronger emotions than "Yay Reigns Lost! Well okay Orton won but Reigns lost!" My dreams of Balor/Reigns at Mania also died this night.

I guess the narrative of if Cena lost at Summerslam, he'd either be a loser or a liar just completely disappeared. So now Cena makes the excuse of his shoulder was hurt, and gets his win back. Cena winning the title 16 times just feels wrong because how is he ever supposed to have a successor if he surpasses every record imaginable in the WWE?
Image Image

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:46 am

Reigns at 30 would be quite a smart plan if they thought it would create the visceral reaction it did. It made someone like Orton winning an exciting prospect for fans.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:47 am

I'd like to give the WWE writers credit for being able to work the crowd like that. I really would.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:05 pm

With two years of tangible evidence about how the audience reacts to Roman Reigns in the Royal Rumble Match, it's okay to give in to your desires to give creative some credit about this

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:02 pm

GooberBM wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:05 pm
With two years of tangible evidence about how the audience reacts to Roman Reigns in the Royal Rumble Match, it's okay to give in to your desires to give creative some credit about this
My opinion of them is probably way lower than it should be, but very little surprises me with these guys.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:42 pm

I'd like to think that if the writing staff had any tangible awareness of how the audience was reacting to Reigns then he would have been turned heel long ago. Cena was getting better reactions than him. Cena. The face of the divide between the children/casual fans and the die-hards. Every time it looked like Reigns was going to beat KO the place erupted in boos, couldn't even hear the kids cheering, if there were any. When he showed up at #30 in the Rumble, the place was practically shaking with booing. When he eliminated Jericho, the energy of the audience plummeted. Jericho was the last great hope. Everyone thought he was going the distance and Reigns punched him out and the crowd died until Orton surprised them with the win. It's not a Philly crowd or a post-Mania, Raw audience trying to dictate the show, it was San Antonio. Yet, this big destructive force of ready-made heel heat they have that could get over in a "Chosen One" gimmick and be the answer to post-DX Triple H of the late 90's/early 2000's is still out there trying to be face.

Yeah, it can be argued that the writers are doing a reverse psychology effect here and using the heel heat that the face is getting to trick the crowd into cheering for an Orton victory, but that's giving those writers a lot of credit.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Robmayn
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: sRobXMayneZe

Post by Robmayn » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:17 pm

My guess is they are using the heat factor on Reigns to turn him heel against Undertaker at Wrestlemania. He felt like a differente character on the Rumble somehow. And if they are turning him heel, what a better way to do it than that?

Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Post by Big slim » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:10 pm

2 days later and I still don't know how to feel about Orton winning. I was pulling for Jericho to get the win, or Strowman, but it felt odd having Orton win. The Reigns entry was also odd and I think they may finally pull the trigger on a turn for him, they can't wait a decade plus to have him tease it like they have with Cena. And if WWE thought that Reigns was going to be a hero or anything like that then man are they deaf to how a portion of the audience clearly feels about him.

Either that or Orton winning was the plan all along and the Reigns entry was just a major troll job.

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Post by AndyF1069 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:05 pm

"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:49 pm

Dam I might have to buy the royal rumble on dvd I cant find a single full length match of cena and styles and if there is one on dailymanotion
or youtube it has a different background to the video and the accually size of the official video is small. And some of those asssholes edit the commentators voices and certain video quality sucks.

But I remember youtube back in the day was good for finding a match 2 or 3 days later after the ppv.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:51 pm

Well, I've been roped back into watching WWE, after a long, long hiatus. I actually attended Survivor Series live (which was amazing), but didn't get back into watching weekly television. That's going to change, going forward. I'm ready to be a full-time fan again.

I thought the whole Royal Rumble show was pretty damn good, and the Rumble itself was very well put together. We're in something of a big man renaissance, and they built the entire match to showcase all the gigantic people on the roster, giving an excellent platform for the Lesnar/Goldberg showdown, then building to Taker/Reigns, and the finale. Terrific job of handling Reigns, who was absolutely the heel of that finishing stretch. Baiting the crowd that he was going to win it was the perfect way to ensure Randy Orton got a MASSIVE reaction for winning, despite being someone the IWC portion of the audience doesn't vocally blow a gasket to support. They knew EXACTLY what they were doing, and executed it perfectly.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:51 pm

My biggest negative on the Rumble match was that very little seemed to matter until Goldberg/Taker/Lesnar came out. The match was fine but unspectacular in my view. I thought the show itself though was terrific.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:27 pm

Dam I am not buying ppvs anymore if it gets to be to much I dont want everything 2017 in my room.
I'll just download like everybody else does well I do like mp4 which is the codecs to all my matches on a nice 32gb usb stick.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:56 pm

Very much a back-heavy Rumble, to be sure. Definitely a match that was designed for one big climax, rather than rolling from peaks to valleys, as we usually see. I thought their use of the early match to showcase the gigantic people (particularly Strowman), made for a nice pacing device, that kept things rolling along until it was time for everything of consequence. I can understand how it may not have played that way for everyone.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:06 pm

Just because the Rumble is over doesn't mean the fun is. I have just completed my trek through creating the entrants quizzes over at Jet Punk for all the Royal Rumble matches and even compiled them into one massive, master quiz: http://www.jetpunk.com/user-quizzes/786 ... aster-quiz

If you want to take the individual rumble match quizzes, simply click on my username over on Jet Punk and scroll through for all thirty individual rumbles, including 2017's and other wrestling-related quizzes.