The Ask Goober a Question Game

Thread games, where a members posts and everyone replies over and over.
eobversion1

Re: The Ask Goober a Question Game

Post by eobversion1 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:36 am

Are there other products that you make a point to spend above and beyond what is required because you know it'll be worth it?

“What a strange girl you are. Flung out of space.....”

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:52 am

Toilet paper. I don't actively use dry paper anymore (I have it in case of emergencies) because if it's not good enough for a baby's bottom, it's not good enough for mine. But I found a wet wipe that is septic/sewer safe, that's a little expensive but totally worth it. You feel clean every time you need to wipe and that's a good feeling.

Whiskey. I'll definitely pay the price for good whiskey.

If I were one to buy a prostitute, I absolutely would pay more than necessary for good pussy.

Getting a good hotel. Getting the best kind of service is worth the extra cost.

Now that I've gotten some real disposable income, getting the best seats in the house to a show would be worth the price versus just getting any old seat.

That's all I can think of, off the top of my head. I'm sure I'm missing other stuff but those definitely stick out

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:01 pm

Good choices personally a fine mattress and good quality razor blades for shaving are a must.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:56 pm

Yeah, those are things you want to get the highest quality you can, even if you pay a little more. I can agree with those

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:26 pm

I was in an argument with a guy on GTA 5 earlier about preowned items. The jerk reckoned that anyone who buys things preowned is nothing more than a cheap bastard. After minutes of trying to educate him on the financial differences on people who live with their parents like he obviously did and people who scrape by on what they can get. I gave up and just called the guy a prick and left the chat.
Now my question if not obvious is what is your opinion on buying preowned items or something I do freecycling. Getting things that people have thrown out and repurposing them so they can still be of use.?

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:48 pm

I'm a big big fan of pre-owned, in the right context. I don't really buy games for the digital generation pre-owned, because you don't know about DLC that's already been cashed-in but if there's no concern about that, then I see no problem with buying pre-owned games. That is really the best (and sometimes only) way to get your hands on classic games that aren't in major circulation.

And that mindset and policy certainly extends to other examples and topics, and such. Almost nobody's first car is a brand-new straight from the dealership car and there's nothing wrong with that. Most people don't buy a brand-new never lived in new build house, and that goes fine. The person you had that chat with was being excessively narrow-minded about his preference of video game purchasing and was unfair in not even giving you the space to have your own opinion. Was rather a prick, indeed

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:52 pm

Have you been doing any further reading of As Fierce as Steel?

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:23 am

Not as much as you'd hope. Your writing style is very dense, and my anxious and depressed brain hasn't been able to lock in long enough to break through it. I do keep your book in my bookbag with me, so if I'm doing any book reading, it will be your book. I just can't get into it right now

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:17 pm

Kind of a two parter here.

Do you think more people would watch and enjoy smaller films that A24 release if they had the push of a blockbuster?

Is simply a case of a distributor needing the confidence to put a lot of marketing money behind a film?

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:16 pm

I think that would take a shift in how people, at large, perceive the movies. I was thinking of it like how superhero/comic book movies gained legitimate acceptance over the last 15 odd years, but a large part of that did come from studios pumping serious advertising money into them to turn the perception over. So yeah, I suppose if A24 marketed themselves and their movies in that way as they kept pumping out quality work, they would grow that reputation of being a studio that you need to watch their movies.

As we've talked about before with the Oscars, getting out in front of the talk and doing it with force (ie. money) is what pushes the narrative. To change perceptions, you have to push that new narrative hard

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:36 pm

I'm 20 pages into your Novella but I suspect these observations will carry.

My first question is generally around the audience that it seeks, I'm not sure who's intention you intend to grab by it. It seems kind of stuck between fiction and young adult. Maybe a change in language here and there might give it more definition tonally.

Characters seem suffocated by their actions constantly, we're getting a view of Laurel and Max from a coldly second-hand perspective. Another approach might suit better. Give it space to breathe, focus on other characters for a bit. Pull back on certain actions and go forward on others. Don't just think about what it is but how it's about it.

I admit I am unfamiliar with the critical expertise of prose, I don't claim to know what I'm talking about, I might but I cannot say with any confidence that I do.

How does that sound?

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:05 pm

I like your questions and where you're thinking of it from. That brings up some ideas and thoughts to clarify. If you're 20 pages in, I'm thinking you stopped at the little wrestling vignette, at page 23 there is what I think is a tonal shift in the way I was writing it. Those first 20+ pages, I was writing it pretty extensively in a "I'm really depressed and want to write nice things that make me smile" mode of putting things together. I didn't have a clue about an audience or what I wanted to say or anything like that, which helps to explain why you would be having that disconnect. So what kinds of changes in language were you thinking of, that would give that more cohesion? Just a general idea of what you are thinking in your head would be fine there.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by the characters being suffocated? Something that sticks out to me, as I went back over the whole piece slowly, was that the piece itself grows slowly. At first it's just short little glimpses at Laurel and Max, in the same way that when you're a really small child nothing exists except the world right in front of you. You're getting into the section where that kind of thinking starts to fade out and you start observing more of the world, just as you're growing up enough to have to start going out into it. And where it stops, and I'm stuck, is in that transition to figuring out how to fit in the world. At least, I think that's something I'm seeing in it.

In terms of giving direct perspective from other characters, that wasn't something I really was looking to do. This always has felt like a study of Laurel and Max and how their relationship shapes how they experience things. The next section of things (pages 23-45ish) I think has more interaction from the two of them with other parties, that gives things a little more room to breathe. I think getting to there will give a better foundation to your concern there and I can get a better idea of where the criticism is coming from and where to adjust things. Again some concrete examples would help me see your viewpoint a little better.

To answer your actual question, that sounded pretty good and I can imagine the validity of your criticisms, I just need some more data to be able to fully process them and then respond. But you're on a good track and I like it

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:22 pm

By suffocated, I mean that sometimes the characters are "doing stuff" without the consideration of the implications or it or letting it lie. Sometimes you address it but sometimes it can be a bit much. That kind of gets to the nub of my criticism so far. It would be more cohesive if there was a bit more cause and effect to flesh out the characters a bit more, to not just hit moments but to bring them to life. Build up to them, survey the impact, plan what's next for the characters. From what you've written there's plenty of space for expansion. Think of it as a treatment/outline. Thanks for clarifying what you were going for, though. It helped.

I look forward to reading the rest.

All the references are a nice touch.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:28 pm

Could you give me an example out of the story of what you mean? I understand the criticism, but I need a reference point to be able to start clarifying the criticism in the work

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:48 pm

I'd say from about pg 10-17 you have a lot of character interaction, different scenarios, transition and change of perspectives within a very short space of time for the reader.

I would again stress, if you don't agree it doesn't matter.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:21 pm

What do make of LucasFilm's approach to how their movies are received online? In the sense that, if you have a problem with a female lead and a black stormtrooper we don't want your money. A pretty clear sentiment from the cast and the filmmakers.

Sending messages of political ethos is unusual for a movie studio. I wanted to get your take on it.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:19 pm

I don't even think of it as a political ethos. In modern times, Disney has gone out of their way to be progressive and inclusive in all of their branding and what they put out there. I don't think of it as LucasFilms doing something new and different. I think of it as Disney hammering home one of their mission statements.

Really, it shouldn't even come to something like that but the world is imperfect. And outside of producing content that is made for those bigoted types, in a way that will reach out to them to help start changing that mindset/culture (which if Star Wars Ep VII isn't going to help start that change, what else is there in their properties that can?), telling them they are not welcome until they start changing their mindset themselves is hopefully a step in the right direction

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:03 pm

Yeah, I figured as much, it can easily turn into a strawman narrative for them that Disney is the big evil corporation shoving their agenda down my throat. God forbid they become decent human beings. Shit clumps together I support.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:11 pm

Human beings are our own worst enemy, really

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:03 pm

Did you ever find yourself developing tastes that come out of the blue/left field and feel completely blindsided?
Spoiler: show
I often catch myself thinking "Damn, that is an attractive woman" despite having almost no basis for that thought process whatsoever. It lies totally outside my built in schematic of what I find attractive about women. Having a quirk like that honestly, makes me feel uncomfortable. Just random shit like that pops into my head. It strange because I never have those thoughts about movies because I can always find a way to find a reference point for something, knowing how and why it fits in.