The Ask Evan A Question Thread

Thread games, where a members posts and everyone replies over and over.
eobversion1

Re: The Ask Evan A Question Thread

Post by eobversion1 » Mon May 09, 2016 3:35 pm

Ah, the thought had crossed my mind slightly but it wasn't my first impression I confess.

“What a strange girl you are. Flung out of space.....”

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Mon May 09, 2016 4:38 pm

I just got to New Years and...well did you see that coming? Because I didn't. The movie seemed almost unconcerned with being anything but subtle and coy about their relationship, and then BAM, they threw it all out there

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Mon May 09, 2016 4:47 pm

Oh yeah, I knew that was happening. I was surprised they waited as long as they did.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Mon May 09, 2016 4:50 pm

I mean I knew it would happen too, but that it stuck with it so long. I thought we'd get Carol pulling her robe, we'd see the kiss where they gave in, and then we'd move along. I did not expect it to linger for so long or so explicitly.

That was just unexpected

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Mon May 09, 2016 4:54 pm

That's why it's such a beautiful film. It makes the minute seem spectacular. So precise that you don't even notice until it hits you.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Mon May 09, 2016 8:56 pm

Since I don't feel any particular need to inundate the movie thread with more thoughts about Carol, would you like to ask me a question about my thoughts to hear more about how I felt about the movie?

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Tue May 10, 2016 4:01 am

Yes please.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sat May 28, 2016 3:21 pm

Have you ever given thought to a career in the movie business? As a professional reviewer or otherwise?

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sat May 28, 2016 3:28 pm

Seriously? No.

There's no future in film reviewing. Even on YouTube all that real estate has been taken up.

For fun? Yeah sure. If I take it too seriously then it wouldn't be as fun.

I've written outlines of movies I would want to see but I've never explored them fully because I'm sure they'd be terrible and would never be made.

Then again you look at some of the shit that does get made and think..."I could do way better than that!"

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Post by AndyF1069 » Sat May 28, 2016 3:44 pm

If it was something you would actually be willing to try, Youtube is the place to go even if the market is already overcrowded. You'll have a backlog of videos that won't vanish and all it takes is one person with an audience to see your stuff, be impressed and mention you and decide to mention you wherever. And if that doesn't happen? So what? You're doing something you enjoy doing.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sat May 28, 2016 3:48 pm

Interesting, I'd need a unique angle to try it out with, if I can crack that I'd definitely consider it.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sat May 28, 2016 3:52 pm

Indeed, you'd need a gimmick. Is your accent as thick as Cian Twomey's?

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sat May 28, 2016 3:54 pm

No. His would be much stronger.

My friend and I have been talking about a website for a while as well. We've developed it fairly well. If we can get that off the ground then there could be plenty of ways to go from there.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Post by AndyF1069 » Sat May 28, 2016 4:13 pm

Note to self, read posts before posting. "be impressed and mention you and decide to mention you wherever". Cringe.

Another bonus Youtube has over a website is there are no hosting fees. You upload a video and you're done. You don't pay for bandwith or any of the expected nuisances. But if you don't want to do audio reviews then it's a moot (lolmuteandnottalking) point.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sat May 28, 2016 4:27 pm

I would definitely consider all options. A website seems like the first port of call.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sat May 28, 2016 8:25 pm

Do you think that Netflix would pad the ratings of their original shows and movies?

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sat May 28, 2016 8:37 pm

The way I see it is that they can say certain shows draw ratings but what matters is if they renew them or give them the money they need to make the show properly.

Protecting rating is protecting their share price the way I see it.

New show announcements are treated with pomp and circumstance

Cancellations drift away into the background.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:27 am

So I recently checked out Creed. What do you think it says about the actual state of Hollywood and how it rewards and represents people, that a movie made by a young black director (I had no idea he was black until I saw the Blu-Ray extras), created a new story in the Rocky universe, following the same path Stallone took in creating the character and first movie in many ways, made a very solid movie, and a disproportionate amount of the ultimate praise went to Stallone, who really didn't have his hands that deeply into the project?

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:39 am

Also, I just looked back at your initial thoughts about Creed, and you used the term "very solid movie" to review it. That's kinda scary that I used the same terminology without realizing it

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:33 pm

I would agree to an extent with your assessment. That's kind of the problem with awards season. The spin takes over once you've released the movie. It was an excellently crafted movie but after that, it becomes a matter of "sex sells".

Somehow the narrative became about Stallone rather than Ryan Coogler or Michael B. Jordan. The Academy whether they like it or not have at least a subconscious bias towards movies about the concerns of the demographics they make up which in their case is older white males. I'm not saying that you don't have voters that are more discerning but it's this kind of reason why tides gather in certain directions. You can't fault them really for going with what's been catered to them.

There's a lot of greasing the wheel, campaigning, politicking and canvassing involved and naturally the voters will be drawn towards the films and the aspects of them that they find most appealing. That's especially true after the fact also. They'll be drawn to the PR spin they find most agreeable and vote accordingly. They're only human.

Case in point with The Revenant which I thought was pretty damn good but stopped just short of real greatness. How it managed to spin itself was by planting stories in the trade press about how difficult a shoot it was and how hard it was to make. It was because of this that they already had an "Awards Friendly Narrative" that they could work with even before the film was released, and it paid off.

If the producers of Rogue One had have done the same thing then arguably they would be on the same track but unfortunately, they caught themselves on the backfoot with the negative stories about "reshoots". They should have got out in front of that one.

In summation, yeah I would have fired the publicity team for Creed. However, it's easy to say such a thing in hindsight.