The Ask Evan A Question Thread

Thread games, where a members posts and everyone replies over and over.
GooberBM
VIP Member

Re: The Ask Evan A Question Thread

Post by GooberBM » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:07 pm

I'll pass Jama's question forward:

What are some of your smaller life goals? What are your larger ones?

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:27 am

For the moment anyway it's getting a car and a driving license. I need to do that to contribute to my larger objective of living and working in different parts of Ireland. I have quite modest objectives overall, they might increase over time. A wife and kids would be nice but if that's not meant to be, it's not meant to be.

“What a strange girl you are. Flung out of space.....”

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:05 pm

Is Guy Fawkes night much of a thing in Ireland?

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Post by AndyF1069 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:43 am

eobversion1 wrote:I have not heard of him Andy, he seems like he really knows his stuff. I can see he likes his reviews to have substance and depth through rather than relying exploitation which I always like to see.

I'm not that much of a gamer I must admit. I play most games by proxy more than anything because of my brother. I've played about three console games from start to finish. Gun, Red Dead Redemption and Grand Theft Auto V. Embarrassing I know. It might surprise you to hear that if you told me that games were a better form of entertainment than TV Shows or Movies then I would have to admit that you would have a valid point. It's more immersive and allows you to have your cake and eat it too so to speak. Do video games have the lineage and rich history that films or novels do? Not at all but they very well could at the rate the technology is progressing and if humans are still around in the next 100-200 years.
It's not embarrassing at all to have only finished a small amount of games. Quite honestly I'm surprised that you've played any. Although video games are beginning to develop a lineage. Look at warcraft, which 20 years and 4 different games later is now world of warcraft with a whole series of books, comics and now an upcoming movie which is set to be a summer blockbuster, designed to appeal to a mass audience. For me, gaming is something I can do when I want and invest as much or as little time as I want into it, similar to a book. I don't find a movie or a song to be as satisfying if there are pauses or breaks between start and finish. I also don't like the commitment of having to sitdown for 90+ minutes at a time if I'm not extremely invested into it.

The upcoming Star Wars movie is something I will have no problems with as I'm emotionally invested into it as a series and have a genuine interest in the plot and characters. But coming home from work or university and having the option of watching something I know little about for over an hour or being able to unwind on a game? I pick a game. But that's me. Your choice seems to (clearly?) be movies over other forms of entertainment (games or otherwise). I can hardly claim to know you, we've had very few interactions, but I've read plenty of what you've had to say and I have a feel for what I assume your personality to be and watching the videos in question gave off many similarities to my perception of you. I think you and Matthew could have a fantastic chat about whatever.

And to make sure I have a question (don't want Jimmy to get mad), is it as weird to you as it is to me to type video game instead of computer game? (I need to conform to keep in line with the jargon used on this forum).
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:29 am

Even if it's just a statement or a means of furthering the discussion I'm cool with it. It's my thread. It's up to Jimmy to have a problem with it and me to not care. Video Game/Computer Game it's all the same to me. Both are run by the same kind of graphics engine. I probably would very much enjoy speaking with him.

I do read a few books, I don't think I could live without music but movies will always be my preferred format for pure exploration to find new knowledge, wisdom and ideas. I don't try to find stuff that merely placates me. It rings hollow and turns out to be fairly dull. Most great music has been discovered already and has stood the test of time. Pop is in the doldrums, most acclaimed artists like Ed Sheeran and Adele I find to be merely tolerable. Michael Buble is good but not much more than merely pleasantly derivative. I listen to some stuff by the likes of U2, Hozier and Muse. They are good artists but we've become so fragmented because of the internet that really finding a piece of music that we can all connect over, that represents some fragment of the culture of the 21st century is nearly an impossible task given what we consume. There is no MTV anymore, the sort of Irish equivalent has descended into the doldrums so finding a well-curated outlet for that stuff has more or less disappeared. As a result the only music that I do listen to mainly consists of Jazz, Classical, Classic Rock and Pop but that's about it. They're more than enough for me. Still, that shouldn't be the case. I think "Clint Eastwood" by The Gorillaz is oddly enough I find probably one of the most progressive of the last couple of years. A 21st Century song about the 21st Century. A big hit at the time but it's been forgotten about somewhat.

I understand and agree with what you're saying about video games entirely. It's easy for me to really engage with something that invites my curiosity. It's the reason why you want to see films like "The Prestige", "2001 A Space Odyssey" or "A Clockwork Orange" again and again. There are a plethora of other factors, of course, that's just as simple a way as I can put it. Films challenge me, I don't really like to be pandered to. I have to see some value in it, otherwise I get kind of bored and irritated. Especially if I can see right through something. Sure, I like stuff that's relatable and has entertainment value but overall there really has to be a quid pro quo for me. A substantive, somewhat elusive quality to engage with.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:40 am

What are some of your pet peeves in human interaction that really aggravate you?

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:28 am

El Canuck wrote:Is Guy Fawkes night much of a thing in Ireland?
Also, because this was ignored entirely.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:14 pm

El Canuck wrote:
El Canuck wrote:Is Guy Fawkes night much of a thing in Ireland?
Also, because this was ignored entirely.
My apologies Nucks. I just didn't see it. The Irish don't celebrate it, maybe some folks up in the North do. Guy Fawkes night is much bigger in the UK where most people call it "Bonfire Night". Self-explanatory enough. Bonfires are lit and fireworks are set off. Everyone has a good time. The Irish just pack that stuff into Halloween as well really. We've very much had our fill after that.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:32 pm

That's quite interesting. In Newfoundland it's a noted day and for some weird reason we're the only province in Canada that makes note of it. I suspect it has to do with the fact that Newfoundland was still owned by the British until '49, despite the fact that most of the island are Irish descendants.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:45 pm

Aye, there's no connection there really. It just doesn't happen here.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:54 pm

GooberBM wrote:What are some of your pet peeves in human interaction that really aggravate you?
The constant sound of a phone vibrating. It started off like a cutsy fashion statement now I really can't stand it. I hate to hear that same generic sound effect in films too.

Also saying that a particular college was your "Alma Mater" sounds pretentious no matter who you are.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:03 pm

Oh wait, forgot to ask a question.

If you could watch the movies of just one director, who would you pick?

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:10 pm

If you only watched one director's films that would be considered your lowest ring of hell, for all of time, who would you least want to have to watch?

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:32 pm

El Canuck wrote:Oh wait, forgot to ask a question.

If you could watch the movies of just one director, who would you pick?
Probably Martin Scorsese for the sheer range of great films he's produced over the years. He has been so versatile it's kind of incredible.

Raging Bull
Goodfellas
After Hours
The King of Comedy
The Departed
The Last Temptation of Christ
Taxi Driver
Mean Streets
Gangs of New York
The Aviator

The man has greatness in spades, I'm sure I would find a lot more interesting stuff in some of his lesser known works too. The man is a treasure pure and simple.
GooberBM wrote:If you only watched one director's films that would be considered your lowest ring of hell, for all of time, who would you least want to have to watch?
I'm not as well-versed in these matters for obvious reasons. I'd probably agree with Nucks' assessment of Uwe Boll if I bothered to check any of his stuff out. There are guys like Ed Wood too, I also haven't seen any of his films. If Adam Sandler directed his own movies I'd pick him but he only uses "traffic cop" directors like they do on T.V. so I wouldn't subject any of them to my derision.

As short sighted as this sounds I'd have to go with Michael Bay. He might have one or two ok-ish films but other than that his films are like eating the greasiest most pumped up hormonally injected chicken you've ever had in your life. Just yuck. He is the multimillionaire auteurist of shit. You'd have a better time running into a wall than you would watching his Transformers films. He wouldn't know what a good film was if it bit him on the arse. Plenty of critics have given him more than a few second chance but to no avail.

Joel Schumacher is second. Bay is way out in front.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:40 pm

When is this Luther show airing?

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:50 pm

The three-hour special is airing here in the UK and Ireland on the 17th of December. It's airing in the U.S. a mere 5 hours later. I'll probably give it a watch on the Monday or Tuesday because there'll likely be no way I'll get over my Force Awakens hangover before then (If indeed they deliver what they're promising and are hiding all the good stuff for the actual movie). The first 3 series are on Netflix. Worth checking out.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:59 pm

Not Canadian Netflix. Turns out I'm not subscribed to BBC Canada, but I can easily remedy that in December.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:07 pm

Sounds good, I'm sure someone will be carrying it in Canada since it's airing in the UK and the US on the same day pretty much. I don't see any reason why it would be any different for Canada.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:07 pm

Have you ever had a close person pass away? If you did, what was one thing you can think of that would have brought you some form of comfort?

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:44 pm

I'm glad you asked me this Goober. I've been thinking a lot about this recently. What follows is purely just my personal response.

I would undoubtedly show them Terrence Malick's "The Tree of Life". You can dismiss the film as having one or two silly elements on the surface, but overall the film is just purely divine. I say this because I feel that it is a film that can easily comfort a viewer who is experiencing grief. I think it allows them to reconcile their personal loss with any belief system they might subscribe to. The film can ultimately be used as a vessel that the viewer can release their loss into, that washes and cleanses their soul allowing them to find inner peace with their loss knowing that their loved one has become one with a higher power. A state that they will one day ascend to.