The Ask El Canuck a Question Game

Thread games, where a members posts and everyone replies over and over.
AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Re: The Ask El Canuck a Question Game

Post by AndyF1069 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:42 pm

What has the feedback for your book from the general public been like?
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:50 pm

Generally positive, insofar as I've seen. Though I haven't seen much.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:57 pm

That's something at least. What are the parameters of determining if you've been successful or not?
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:22 pm

How do you feel about GOT only having 23 episodes left?

“What a strange girl you are. Flung out of space.....”

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:47 pm

AndyF1069 wrote:That's something at least. What are the parameters of determining if you've been successful or not?
The day I'm financially able to support myself on writing alone is when I'll consider myself a success. Not anything extravagant, just independence from any other job to keep me afloat.
eobversion1 wrote:How do you feel about GOT only having 23 episodes left?
To quote Sheila Broflofski from South Park: "WHAT, WHAT, WHAT?!?!"

What's your source on this?

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:56 pm

I don't need a source, it's pretty much everywhere that GOT only has 13 episodes left after S6, 23 EPs from now. It's so confirmed that GRRM is already pitching spin off ideas to the internet.

“What a strange girl you are. Flung out of space.....”

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:02 pm

Well, all good things must come to an end, I suppose.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Post by Big slim » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:57 am

Better hope the spin off is more like Frasier than Joey.

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:24 am

Well I meant more of the book itself. What is required for your publisher to determine that with your book, that every box has been ticked and that you've hit a home run? Sales? Good reviews? A balance of both?

And not for your book specifically but in general (I'm thinking of 50 shades of grey). Is a book considered a success if it has bad reviews but sells well?

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:58 am

Technically I am the publisher and author alike. The company that prints my book are just that, printers. It's like running a small business. And my metric for success is that when I can manage that business (and write more books) independently of any other job, I'll consider myself a success. That same metric would also mean quality of the product in my case, as I don't really have funds for much advertising and the series is not well known yet. I rely on the good review of word of mouth to get people to buy my books.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:16 am

I was under the assumption that you were signed to a deal. Fair enough on all those points then.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:21 am

Nucks might not be a wrestler anymore, but he's an independent contractor at heart

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:43 am

Precisely, Goobs. I went from worrying about putting asses in seats to putting books in hands.

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:40 am

Would you prefer a got spin-off with a prequel to how tageryans lost there power or a Ned Stark spin off

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:37 am

I would absolutely love that spinoff. If they were to do a show detailing the fall of the Targaryen's, it would be a Ned Stark spinoff as well, as ol' Neddy was intrinsically involved. It's called Robert's Rebellion and it tells the story of the war that preceded the current one and put Westeros in the political climate that precipitates all the events of A Song of Ice and Fire.

This could even be followed with a season of the Greyjoy Rebellion, which tells the story of how Balon Greyjoy attempted to take advantage of a weakened Westeros and go independent. Only for Bobby, Neddy, Barristan, Jorah, Stannis, Thoros of Myr and pals to stomp Balon's army and Theon's two older brothers into non-existence. To ensure Balon behaved, Ned took Theon as his ward, which is how he came to be in Winterfell at all at the start of the books.

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:58 pm

And we get Sean bean and mark addy back.

Will you be suprise If jon snow is resurrected tonight ?

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:19 pm

stigsyv1 wrote:And we get Sean bean and mark addy back.
Actually, I would say we wouldn't. Consider that Robert's Rebellion takes place nearly twenty years before even the events of Season 1 of Game of Thrones. Then consider that Sean Bean and Mark Addy both played their first characters in season 1, which was filmed from mid to late 2010 and aired in early 2011, when Bean and Addy were 51 and 46 respectively at the time. Even if they started filming now, those same actors would be 57 and 52. If we're going by the actors ages and putting their show counterparts at the same age as their actors, you'd be asking Bean and Addy to, at their current ages, play characters aged 31 and 26. That makes no sense. The roles would have to be recast to someone closer to the age of the actors that played their children.
stigsyv1 wrote:Will you be suprise If jon snow is resurrected tonight ?
Jon Snow is dead, the show writers have said it virtually on repeat.

And to quote the Greyjoy's and their drowned god's scripture: "What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger."

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:04 am

The Greyjoys are a tricky bunch. Drowning themselves so that they can claim to be dead and never dying

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Tue May 03, 2016 1:55 am

Jon Snow is dead, the show writers have said it virtually on repeat
Spoiler: show
how do you feel now we know they played us

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue May 03, 2016 6:03 am

Read the rest of my post, dude, all the way to the bottom. Or for that matter comb through the GoT thread. I knew we were being played since I finished A Dance With Dragons.