The best video game console ever made.

Anything goes forum. Discuss Politics, school, family, whatever you want.
brandonking34
Curtain Jerker

Re: The best video game console ever made.

Post by brandonking34 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:43 am

Oblivious PS3. It can do so much, like play games in Hi-Def, and surf the internet. It is from the future.The fat PS3, not only because it has some pretty good exclusive, but because it's backwards compatible with PS2 and PS1 games, plus you also get a cheap blu-ray player out of it.
[url=http://www.skinnable.com]free mahjong[/url]

Doug_Lackey

Post by Doug_Lackey » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:03 am

We need to get specific here guys... if you're going to say that the PS3 is the greatest console ever, you need to clarify which generation of PS3. And it better be the 'A' line or 2nd model PS3.

Backwards compatability for PSX and PS2
4 USB ports
Wireless connectivity to home network allowing for streaming from PC
Blu-Ray Player
Internet Browser
Potential to run on different operating systems (recent firmware update eliminated this function... BOO!!!)

But the big one of all...
Interchangeable HDD: What once started as a feeble 60GB HDD, after $55, is now a massive 500GB HDD. I can house anything and everything on this badboy.

I could be nostalgic and say that Atari 2600/7800, NES, N64, or PSX are the greatest... but if we are talking about functionality, PS3 destroys all.
ImageImageImage
*********EMOTING: SKILL OF THE SAVIOR... YOU'RE WELCOME*********

Xaintrix

Post by Xaintrix » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:43 pm

But is that really fair? We expect so much more out of a modern console. Rather than greatest ever, I like to focus on what consoles give me the most value for the type of gamer I am and my tastes. Hehe, but that's not the question I guess.

What is functionality if it's a pain to code for? I've been gaming since the 80s (since playing ASCII games on an 8086), and the one console I don't have is the PS3. Not because I hate it, but because the content is too limited even for my wide tastes. My TV is only 720p so BluRay isn't much of a selling factor either

The PS3 from a build standpoint is THE beast - there's no way to spin around that nor would I want to. But when I started to Amazon wish list the games I would want for the console I'm left with few choices compared to when I did the same thing for X360 and the Wii.

Would you also have to include a console company's online distribution model too? I have personal experience with Sony from the portable side of online distro. Just look at the PSPgo's numerous content problems including the upcoming Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep going UMD only. Total slap in the face for Sony fans that bought the PSPgo concept.

I'm a bit crossed since for "greatest ever" I still fall back to the NES. I think it was the perfect blend of performance (at the time), simplicity, and marketing. Consoles are starting to outpace the general public in the complexity of controls and data management (on screen). For a heavy gamer (me included) that's of course what we like right? But I see people who used to game and don't any more like my fiance get completely lost, frustrated, and/or sometimes even ill (3D motion sickness).

But as I started out - I don't think past consoles can really be compared to their modern counterparts. The consumer base has grown along with consoles and games produced.
Xaintrix - Official Wrestleview Transcriptionist
Transcript Archive - VIPs Only

Malice
Mid Carder

Post by Malice » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:52 pm

It's so hard, because you have different eras, and at different ages things can get skewed. I remember just absolutely loving the shit out of my NES and my PlayStation. Those are the two that come closest to memory as my favorites.

All in all, NES is probably my all-time favorite followed by PS1, PS2 and the Wii.

You have to account for all the terrific games NES had. The Zelda games, all the Mario games, Contra, etc. Too many classics.

I agree that I prefer the 360 for games over PS3 even though the hardware BLOWS harder than Whitney Houston.
LORDmalice.
The IWC marks out for me.

towney007
Site Admin

Post by towney007 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:16 pm

I really don't know how anyone could make a case for anything but the original NES. From providing the basis of the modern day game controller, to experimentations (albeit most of them failed) with wireless, a game library that was so much better than any system, ever - a system that basically spawned half of the brands that serve as pillars for the modern gaming world.... It's not even close.

This thread should be named second best video game console ever made.

Xaintrix

Post by Xaintrix » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:37 pm

This is why we have a happy race war detente Hunter. *gong*
Xaintrix - Official Wrestleview Transcriptionist
Transcript Archive - VIPs Only

candyxwrapper
Mid Carder

Post by candyxwrapper » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:31 pm

What I play the most right now is my old Nintendo 64 and my Nintendo DS. I see play games on those 2 things til this day.
Captian Hook never looked so good

Darkstorm Classic
Developmental Talent

Post by Darkstorm Classic » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:59 am

towney007 wrote:I really don't know how anyone could make a case for anything but the original NES. From providing the basis of the modern day game controller, to experimentations (albeit most of them failed) with wireless, a game library that was so much better than any system, ever - a system that basically spawned half of the brands that serve as pillars for the modern gaming world.... It's not even close.

This thread should be named second best video game console ever made.
Because most of the best in genre games on the nes were bested on the snes.

Super Metroid is light years better then metroid, likewise for zelda 3 compared to zelda 1/2.
I do think that mario 3 is better then world though.

Snes completely smokes the nes on rpg's, beat'em'ups and racers, and the only area where it competes for me is platformers.

I would have the snes game library over any other going.
Heyman: "TAP! TAP!"
JR: "The Rock won't tap with this much on the line."
Heyman: "Why doesn't Earl Hebner just ring the bell?"
JR: "Because he didn't tap!"
Heyman: "Well it never stopped him before."

towney007
Site Admin

Post by towney007 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:18 pm

Nah. No NES, no super nintendo. Of course SNES' games were deeper. It was better technology. The NES' quality STILL holds up today. I win forever.

Darkstorm Classic
Developmental Talent

Post by Darkstorm Classic » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:07 am

The OP was pretty much based on what he had the most fun with. Sure on an industry basis the NES is the most important. Hell, the Nes revived the American market after it crashed and burned in the eighties. The Nes is the most important thing in gaming in the last thirty years, without it there might not even be an industry.

But if we're arguing this on the merits of the games, the Snes's game library was superior to the Nes. And the Snes trumps its successors as well, even though they also had the technology to make their games deeper and look nicer. I find myself breaking out my snes a lot more often then my nes to play old games.
Heyman: "TAP! TAP!"
JR: "The Rock won't tap with this much on the line."
Heyman: "Why doesn't Earl Hebner just ring the bell?"
JR: "Because he didn't tap!"
Heyman: "Well it never stopped him before."

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:54 am

For me it will always be the N64, goldeneye mario kart , no mercy and the greatest game ever made zelda orcania of time

Crow013
Mid Carder

Post by Crow013 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:57 am

For me, it will be the SNES or the Sega Genesis.

The SNES had some of my absolute favorite games ever. MMPR: The Game, MMPR: Fighting Edition, MMPR: The Movie: The Game, any Mario anything. So much good. (I'll actually be buying myself a Retro Duo system soon enough.

The Sega Genesis is here purely based on a nostalgia stand point. from Sonic, to Vectorman, to Mickey Mouse's Castle of Illusion. I love the system. It belonged to my father and I will actually be buying one for him for Christmas since the wires for his are broken and my mom had us throw the one he had away because it was in a box with mice. She was afraid of mice poo.
This thread lost me when Crow said he respects DD's balls.
I'm Batman.

Chrissy Benny Wah
Legend

Post by Chrissy Benny Wah » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:38 am

jcrusious wrote:Consoles are more better than Pc's to play games.
I always found that consoles were for people that wanted to play games, whereas PCs users spend more time talking about playing games.

endless
Hall Of Famer

Post by endless » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:57 pm

Chrissy Benny Wah wrote:
jcrusious wrote:Consoles are more better than Pc's to play games.
I always found that consoles were for people that wanted to play games, whereas PCs users spend more time talking about playing games.
Bots, what do they know. lol

I spend more time playing PC games than I do console games, but really it depends on the types of games that I play. I spend most of my time playing shooters, and strategy games. RPG's, platformers, and sports games are better on consoles. Although the only reason for that it's that ports for sports games always suck on the PC(even though there is no real reason for that).

Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Post by Big slim » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:35 pm

Best consoles
Nintendo 64
PS3
PS One
Sega Genisis
X-Box 360
SNES
Ataria 2600.

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:57 pm

The NES was the most innovative. But best? I argue no.

The NES has a ridiculously huge library of games, and yes Hunter, there are tons of classics in there. But for every 1 good NES game, I would argue that you had 9-10 games that were just plain bad. Although it had some stinkers, you can't say the same for the SNES, which I would argue has the best ratio of great to terrible games of any console.