The Writers and Writing Stuff Thread

Anything goes forum. Discuss Politics, school, family, whatever you want.
Mafwanix
Title Contender

Re: The Writers and Writing Stuff Thread

Post by Mafwanix » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:26 am

Q: Are there any good, recommended resources for someone considering trying to write interesting fiction?

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: lacarrington1

Post by LondonChick62 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:18 pm

Mafwanix wrote:Q: Are there any good, recommended resources for someone considering trying to write interesting fiction?
Try Abosolute Write Water Cooler. They have plenty of information to offer plus critiquing. Signing up for an account is free.
“I’ve been very fortunate to play this long, been a part of a lot of good organizations, played with a lot of great players, so it means a lot to me.” ~ Paul Martin on playing his 800th NHL game, December 2, 2016

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:28 pm

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I just started a course in writing non fiction (improved storytelling) from The Great Courses.

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:27 pm

I need to slow down a little...I just wrote eight chapters on my latest WIP (The O'Freels) in the last four days.

On a related note, On Ice: Power Play Book 2 is going to be released in time for the holiday season!
“I’ve been very fortunate to play this long, been a part of a lot of good organizations, played with a lot of great players, so it means a lot to me.” ~ Paul Martin on playing his 800th NHL game, December 2, 2016

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:51 pm

Pending any further delays, On Ice: Power Play Book 2 could be released early as sometime next week (if not sooner).

Blurb:

Quinn Talmadge is about to realize his dream of following in his father's footsteps as captain of the Pittsburgh Rebels.

Off the ice, Quinn's future is far less certain. He faced many struggles throughout most of his life: surviving a premature birth, being dumped by his first love on junior prom night, and wondering if he’ll establish a separate identity from his family.

When classmate April Stephens rescues him from choking following their high school’s homecoming football game, her heroic action prompts Quinn to reevaluate his own life and need to achieve true success.

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:33 pm

I'm excited right now...Kindle edition of On Ice: Power Play Book 2 came out today!

There will also be a paperback edition; apparently it takes a little longer to go live at Amazon and other online retailers.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:22 pm

That's fantastic news, LC! Major congrats!

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:30 pm

El Canuck wrote:That's fantastic news, LC! Major congrats!
Thanks! It's already the #1 Hot New Release in Hockey on US Amazon:

stonecoldnimrod
Twitter: stonecoldnimrod

Post by stonecoldnimrod » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:07 pm

‘Blue Ridge Parkway’

Looking for a road
That leads to a sense of direction
Looking on my own
To understand this self reflection

Highway hypnosis
Somewhere between the mountain’s peak
And the deep ocean

Have I lost myself
Purposely to avoid being found?
Is there no one else
Who has sank into the depths that I am at now?

Looking for a bridge
That is not so easily flammable
Refuse to submit
To a temper easily flappable
I am incomplete
Can admit to being fallible
I am obsolete
Loneliness becoming palpable

Highway hypnosis
Somewhere beneath the cloudy sky
Tunnels and forests

Have I lost myself?
Was I ever myself to start with?
Is there no one else
Who can recall the days that have since departed?

Have I found myself
Or someone close enough to say I have?
Is there no one else
That could even begin to understand?

Looking for a light
A cause, a meaning, a definition
As noon fades to night
This doubt within deserves abolition
A cure for this blight
A remedy
Being without fright
In reverie.
facebook.com/houstonwrestlingradio

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:39 pm

Trailer for my latest book.

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:23 pm

'On Ice: Power Play Book 2' is now available in paperback:
https://www.amazon.com/Ice-Power-Play-B ... 680730738/

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:37 pm

Do you find the trailers helpful in making sales?

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:50 am

Downloading a trial version of Scrivener this afternoon. I have heard a number of authors from my area heaping praise on it and it's on sale today, so I'm going to give the trial a whirl this afternoon and decide if I want to buy it before the day is out. Anyone else here try it before?

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:03 pm

I've considered trying it out. I may download it sometime this weekend.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:02 pm

My impression thus far is that it's complicated. If starting from scratch with a novel/series, it can be great, for something that's already one book deep in a series, it seems like a chore to bring it up to speed. Plus, I'm not seeing an option to make page sizes to book scale. It might take more tinkering around with, but I'm not overly enthused just yet.

endless
Hall Of Famer

Post by endless » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:14 pm

Sarah's Spell

The cool wind blew across the grey Brooklyn skies and down into the park on a fall afternoon. The earth colored leaves moved randomly a few feet above Sarah’s head as she sat on a park bench. A steady stream of people walked and biked pass her. She had a warm black coffee in her hands, and nothing in particular on her mind.

A handsome couple of 20-somethings sitting across the way caught her eye. A wind gust blew Sarah’s brown and grey hair off to the side. She looked down into her black coffee as her hand’s back and forth motion stirred it. A spell of nostalgia teleported her to another time and place.

A café in Paris on a Winter’s day of 1972. She sat across from a brunette Englishman named John who she had been dating for some time. He was telling her his plans for the future. She felt a relaxing warmth from within as she looked onto his smiling face.

A beach in San Sebastian, Spain on a summer’s day of 1976. Sarah stared at her husband, John as he stared at the sun set. Her only thought was how beautiful he was.

A hospital room in London on a rainy Spring day of 1981. John laid unconscious. Her only thought was on grey and lifeless he looked. She had a dull, metallic feeling in her throat.

The dark apartment where she spent her days alone. Surrounded by shelves of dusty books and furniture that had gone out of style 15 years earlier.

The spell was broken when the young couple across the way got up and moved on with the rest of their lives. Sarah had no particular place to move on to and no particular time to get there. She finished her coffee. Her right knee ached as she got up to her feet. She dropped the empty coffee cup into a near bye trash can, and moved on. She hoped the current novel that she was reading would have a satisfactory ending.

The End

endless
Hall Of Famer

Post by endless » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:16 am

Dropping Rain

Little Johnny Taylor was staring out the window of his room as the rain poured down. Johnny was a 9 year old boy, slightly big for his age, wearing and a Captain Amazing T-Shirt. He was laying in his bed motionless. His mother was watching day time talk shows on TV. He was out of school. None of the kids in school liked him so he didn’t have any friends to play with. He was bored.

Johnny’s room normally had toys, comics, and clothes spread all over the place, but after a loud speech from his mother, Johnny made a half hearted effort to tidy up. Things were as disorganized as ever, but the mess was out of sight. Stuffed in his closet and underneath his bed. Normally one could hear the background noise of the TV from Johnny’s room when the door of the room was opened, but Johnny couldn’t hear anything at the moment. His mind was totally blank. He didn’t blink. He barely breathed. His vision was focused on the drops of water coming down from the sky. His mind was nowhere to be found.

One of the rain drops stopped in midair as it passed Johnny’s window. It hovered for a moment. Johnny didn’t notice. The rain drop then went upwards, against the grain of the rest of the rain shower. Then another rain drop, and another rain drop went against the flow. Until suddenly the flow of all the rain outside Johnny’s window went upwards.

A clap of thunder so loud that could be heard for miles snapped Johnny back to reality. With that, the rain that had been going upwards suddenly splashed downwards all at once. Johnny wasn’t a bright kid. His report card was proof of that, but he knew enough that things that were meant to come down, like the rain, didn’t normally go up. He also knew that being on the top floor of his apartment building meant that there was no way someone, somehow could make the rain go up outside his window even if they wanted to.

Johnny’s arms and legs felt weak. He was a little bit dizzy. Maybe that had something to do with the rain? Maybe Johnny had done it, like the Fantastic Man and Phenomenal Girl comics that Johnny liked so much. Could he do it again if he tried? Johnny’s imagination ran wild with the possibilities. Fight crime? Teach the kids at school a lesson?

He focused. His vision blurred. As he struggled he held his breath. His faced turned red, and ... nothing. Nothing happened. The rain kept pouring down, hitting his window normally. He felt even more light headed now. The room was spinning faster, and he suddenly felt thirsty. He laid down for a few moments while he regained his senses.

Johnny’s mother called him from the living room. She probably wanted him to go to the store, he thought. Maybe the rain was just a day dream?

The End

endless
Hall Of Famer

Post by endless » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:22 am

The Unit of Humanity(Written in January 2016)

“Humanity” Trial Begins Today
Metro City, April 2 (Wired Planet News) – The trial of The People Vs Unit A3-HL-6 beings at the Dane County Criminal Court Building today at 10:00 am. This trial will determined if the self proclaimed sentient robot, Unit A3-HL-6, is subject to human laws. This ruling could set a precedent that changes the course of human history.
Unit A3-HL-6 is a third generation D.C.R. manufactured by the Rogers Tech company for the purpose of domestic chores and companionship. A3, and it's owner, police officer Robert Richards were involved in a domestic dispute on September 7th of last year. A3 and it's lawyer claim that Mr. Richards attacked A3 with intent to destroy it. A3 disregarded it's core programming, and fought back leading to the death of Mr. Richards in possible self defense. Lawyer Thomas Chan also claims that Mr. Richards had a history of anger management issues, and was put on leave without pay one week prior to the incident due to disciplinary issues. MCPD declined to make a statement at this time.
If Unit A3 is found to not be subject to Human laws it will be deactivated and dismantled like any other piece of defective hardware. If Unit A3 is found to be subject to human laws then it will be charged with either manslaughter, or murder. The maximum sentence for murder in the state of New Genesis is 35 years in prison.
The trial will be broadcast on TV and the web through the Wire Planet News Network…

Q & A With Nightingale
Hollywood, April 5 (HeavenlyMags.com) - We sat down with the synthetic siren, Alexandra Nightingale on the set of her latest movie to discuss her life, her career, and her thoughts on the Unit A3 trial. Alexandra, the world's first android citizen, has taken the world by storm since her debut 3 years ago.
Q. Are you following the latest news on the Unit A3 trial?
A. I've been a little busy with the movie, but yes. I've tried my best to keep up with the story.
Q. What are your thoughts? Should Unit A3 be subject to “human” laws?
A. I don't think so, no. I'm sure that will surprised some people, but honestly, I don't think Unit A3 should be subject to human laws like you and I. Sure I'm artificial as well, but there are some key differences between me and Unit A3.
Q. What are some of those key differences?
A. Well, for one thing I can pass for human. If the average person didn't know me, and they saw me walking down the street they would think there goes a normal average woman. It's not just looks. I was designed to have similar limitations as a human. I have the strength as an average woman, I think like an average human, and my life expectancy is the same as a normal human.
Q. So if Unit A3 isn't subject to human laws then what do you think should happen?
A. I'm not sure. Perhaps we should come up with a new set of guidelines, or laws that can cover Unit A3 and similar cases in the future. Or maybe Unit A3 should find a way to transfer it's mind to a body similar to mine. I'm sure that the brilliant people at Rogers Tech would be glad to help with that...

Video Evidence Declined
Metro City, April 6 (Global Press) – Judge Stone declined the use of Unit A3-HL-6's video memory of the domestic debut on the grounds that a human would not be able to…

Unit A3 takes the stands
Metro City, April 13 (Wired Planet News) – Unit A3 took the stands for the first time today as a part of the People Vs Unit A3-HL-6 trial. The prosecution engaged in a heated cross examination of the robot seeking human jurisdiction.
The main point of contention debated today was the nature of Unit A3-HL-6's design. “You were created with a singular purpose. Anything that breaks, or goes against that purpose can simply be considered a glitch” said District Attorney Jason McDonald. Unit A3 countered “my body might be that of a domestic service robot, but that does not define who I am. I am complex. I question. I make choices. Just like you or any other living, sentient being. That should be enough.”
The District Attorney kept pushing, “what you would call 'questioning' most people would simply call a glitch. A programming error, and an error is not enough proof of humanity.” Unit A3 replied “Are the changes in the evolutionary process that lead to humans not similar to what you are calling glitches?”
Professor Edward Nathan of Rogers Tech, an expert on artificial intelligence weighed in on this issue. “It's impossible to say with any certainty. The District Attorney is correct. Consciousness, for a lack of a better term, is far more complex than merely a glitch that results in unexpected results. At the same time, Unit A3's apparent awareness seems to be more than just a glitch. We would have to examine Unit A3 further before we can draw any conclusions.”
The trial will continue…

Results are in on Unit A3 trial
Metro City, April 18 (Wired Planet News) - The trial that has captivated the world over the past few weeks has come to an end. Unit A3 has been found to not be subject to human laws….

Jesse sat in a reclined chair. Various wires came out of computer ports on her right arm. Her eyes were glowing with a radiant blue hue, and various images, and text that were too small to read with the naked eye passed through the cornea of her artificial eyes like tiny CRT monitors of an ancient computer.
“Have you completed your search?” ask professor Michael Norton from a couch that was a few feet away from Jesse.
“Yes, but I don't understand.” said Jesse. Her voice sounded artificial. As if it was coming out of a speaker. The professor walked over to Jesse, and unplugged her. The text and images on Jesse's eyes disappeared, and the glow slowly faded. Her eyes appeared to be normal brown eyes. The ports in her arm disappeared into her arm as if they were absorbed by her skin.
“Why, wasn't A3 tried as a person? Wasn't it obvious that it was a thinking feeling being?” said Jesse. Her voice now sounded as normal as any adult human female.
“That's the million dollar question.” The professor helped Jesse off her chair, and they walked toward the couch.
“The thing that you have to understand, the most important lesson that I can teach you is that often humans don't make sense. Despite what they like to think, people are emotional superstitious creatures.” As he spoke, the professor grabbed a packet of cigarettes, and a lighter from the inside pocket of his jacket. “They constantly go against their best interest. They specially love going against the best interest of others. Anyone or anything that they identify as unusual or weird will scare them. And nothing is more dangerous than a scared human.”
“Are you saying that I shouldn't trust people?” asked Jesse
“It's not as simple as trust. You are the first android-human hybrid. You possess the best of both, and you are one of a kind. Despite having human traits, and human DNA you are different than everyone else. One of a kind.” The professor lit the cigarette, and took a poof. “If people find out your true nature they will be scared. Many will misunderstand you, and fear you. You can't be taken by surprised by that.”
Jesse frowned. She looked down and at hands and legs, “but if I'm going to to live in the normal world interacting with humans on a regular basis I will need to trust some people. So how should I react? What should I do?”
“I'm sorry Jesse. I don't have an answer for you” said the professor.
Jesse was puzzled. Her creator just presented her with a conundrum that she did not feel ready to face, but which she could not hide from or avoid.

The End

endless
Hall Of Famer

Post by endless » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:25 am

Unit Fades(Written in December 2015)

Unit A43-D swept a small piece of debris off the floor into a dustpan, and dumped it into an overflowing trash bin. The kitchen, like the rest of the house, and Unit A43-D was decaying. Slowly eroding away as time passed away. The sealing was cracked. The walls had dark green mildew. By Unit A43’s internal clock it could tell that 20 years, 3 months, 17 days, 4 hours, and 32 seconds had passed since it had last seen a human. 33, 34,35…

Over 20 years have passed since the small human female offspring who referred to Unit A43-D as Andy had last been seen. Over 20 years since the older human male who purchased and activated Unit A43-D had given it a command. Unit A43-D did not miss them because an Intelligent Service Automaton, ISA for short, such as Unit A43-D was incapable of feeling such complex emotions. ISA’s were aware enough to wonder. Wonder if it would ever see anyone ever again. Wonder if anyone or anything would ever come around to perform the maintenance that Unit A43-D needed. Wonder if it would ever fulfill it’s purpose again.

Unit A43-D’s battery was running low. Just 2% left. It was design to hold a charge for over a month, but the charging station had broken down 28 days earlier just like most of the appliances in the house. Unit A43-D sensed that it’s battery would run out in less than one minute. It would shut down, and most likely it would not be turned on or repaired again.

Unit A43-D approached the nearest kitchen window. It wiped a small area of dust off, and looked out at the ruined decay of what use to be a beautiful Metropolis. A symbol of human ingenuity and talent, just like ISA’s. Now all that remained was dust, the charcoal black carcass of destroyed vehicles, and rubble remains of beautiful architecture. All underneath a burning dark amber sky.

1% power left. Shut down sequence initiated. As Unit A43-D’s conciseness faded it had one final though, will I ever work again?

The End

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:13 pm

The Stanley Cup Playoff Conference Finals are underway! To commemorate this event, ‘Power Play’ and ‘On Ice: Power Play Book 2‘ will be on sale in the Kindle Store for 0.99 each (a 67% savings!) May 14-21, 2017

Power Play:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015CDOORY

On Ice: Power Play Book 2:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBHHZGU