Affliction: Banned Thread

Discuss sports leagues, put together fantasy leagues, brag about your team winning a championship, etc.
go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Affliction: Banned Thread

Post by go to sleep » Thu May 15, 2008 4:46 pm

On July 19th, Affliction will hold their first MMA event named "Banned" at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California. I'm not positive due to all the changes and issues the event has had, but I'm pretty sure it will be on PPV through Mark Cuban's HDNet. UFC and EliteXC have both banned their fighters and cornermen from wearing the clothing brand at fights, hence the name of the event. The card is shaping up nicely and has some real big names.

Main Event
Fedor Emelianenko v. Former UFC HW Champ Tim Syliva

Ben Rothwell v. TBA (rumored to be Andrei Arlovski)

Josh Barnett v. Pedro Rizzo

Matt Lindland v. Fabio Negao

Renato "Babalu" Sobral v. Mike Whitehead

I'm really excited for these fights, especially the main event. I've been known to not show much love for Fedor, but after watching and re-watching a lot of his fights, I can't help but be impressed...even amazed at the talent this guy has. Fedor has been known to take on less then stellar opponents, though, as evidenced by his last few fights. Even though he fought Matt Lindland about a year ago, Lindland is a 185 fighter and Fedor consistently fights as a HW or super HW. Sylvia is going to be a real test to see if Fedor is truly the best ever and if he can hang with UFC caliber guys. People give big Tim a lot of crap, but the guy can bang. I look for Tim to try and keep this standing because if this goes to the ground (which is likely) Fedor can sneak in an armbar from about any position.

Former IFL HW Champ Ben Rothwell is set to fight a yet to be announced opponent. Rumor is that his opponent is possibly former UFC HW Champ Andrei Arlovski. This is questionable, though, as Dana White recently expressed interest in re-signing Arlovski to a new deal with the UFC. If it's not Arlovski, hopefully Rothwell will get a descent opponent.

In a rematch from UFC 30 that had one of the best KO's in UFC history, Josh Barnett looks to avenge his loss to Perdo Rizzo. Wow, 3 HW fights that are arguably better than anything the UFC could put on right now.

On top of those 3 high profile fights, Matt Lindland has his first fight since his loss to Fedor against Fabio Negao. I don't know anything about Negao, but hopefully he KO's Lindland. Plus, Babalu is set to face former UFC figher Mike Whitehead. Babalu is not going to have an easy time with Whitehead and I look for it to be an exciting fight.

What do you guys think?
Check Out and Follow My MMA Blog: http://justincohee.blogspot.com/
UFC Predictions Game Results: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... 38pEj7scHA

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Thu May 29, 2008 2:10 am

Between the UFC, WEC, and EliteXC, it's going to be a great Summer of fights! Great card so far for Affliction's first event, and the main event should be huge. I guess I can't say that Fedor is ducking top competition anymore..

Evolution
Mid Carder

Post by Evolution » Fri May 30, 2008 9:35 pm

I cant wait for this card, other then Dream 5 I think this is the second for fight cards I'm looking forward to.

Fedor/Sylvia will be great, Sylvia has the power to drop Fedor but can he keep it standing? Most likely not, Fedor by armbar.

I'm suprised with how much money Affliction is dishing out, I wonder if it will last long.

THE KING
Developmental Talent

Post by THE KING » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:23 pm

what up ya bunch of PUNKS!

I like this card, 1st off affliction has kickass t shirts and now fights they rock. they have also teamed with TRUMP so UFC will have some competition.

IF fedor looses to Trucker BOB tim silvla than we will all know that he was always a chump as trucker bob aint much.

but the way its looking we have 3 fight promotions and each looks to have their area. Affliction Heavyweights! WEC small guys! AND UFC everything in the middle and top. pretty cool.

I no you all have missed me so just for the record I am full FITCH supporter now and look forward to him beating GSP

serra hughes will be good to and I look to serra defeating him.

some how diego is back as contender I dont know how but hes ranked which is cool
Edge is Mid-Card for Life.
Jeff Jarrett is better than Edge
Theres a reason Cena gets booed.

Heres a thought....think outside the MODS!

Evolution
Mid Carder

Post by Evolution » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:58 pm

KING I'm suprised you haven't noticed that not too many people on this board take your thoughts seriously.

Good for you being a Fitch fan, its gonna be bad for you when GSP armbars him.

go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Post by go to sleep » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:44 pm

Just a few updated on the card:

Arlovski has been confirmed as Rothwell's opponent.

These fight have been added:

Aleksander Emelianenko v. Paul Buentello (FSN)
Antonio Rogerio Nogueira v. Vernon White (FSN)
Vitor Belfort v. Terry Martin
Ray Lizama v. Justin Levens
Mike Pyle v. JJ Ambrose
Savant Young v. Hominick

I'm surprised Arlovski ended up with Affliction. Dana expressed interested in keeping him with the UFC and their HW division is struggling as it is.

Now I've been working a lot so I haven't been able to keep up with MMA as much as I would like, but the Affliction site is listing two fights as being on FSN. Does this mean we get to see some of the card for free on cable?

PS- Belfort in the prelims which may not air? Stacked card I'd say.
UFC Predictions Game Results: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... 38pEj7scHA

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:27 am

Seeing as how they're on the same day, I thought I'd post the card for the UFC offering for the 19th:

Anderson "Spider" Silva vs. James "Sandman" Irvin (at 205 lbs.)
Frankie Edgar vs. Hermes Franca
C.B. Dollaway vs. Jesse Taylor
Brandon Vera vs. Reese Andy
Anthony Johnson vs. Kevin Burns
Jake O'Brien vs. Cain Velasquez

Preliminary fights (may not be broadcast):
Tim Credeur vs. Cale Yarbrough
Brodie Farber vs. Rory Markham
Nate Loughran vs. Johnny Rees
James Giboo vs. Brad Blackburn
Dale Hartt vs. Shannon Gugerty

Should be a good night of fights for both promotions. I'm planning on watching the UFC on free TV, and then downloading the Affliction show later (hey, I'm cheap!).

It's pretty surprising how much of an underdog Tim Sylvia is on the bet lines. They're giving him about the same odds as James Irvin in the Silva fight. If I were a betting man (read: "If I knew where/how to bet"), I would put some money on him. I heard somewhere that Fedor will be fighting two more times this year, and it looks like Affliction has some good HW contenders for him to challenge.

Anderson Silva should put on a good show. CB Dollaway/Jesse Taylor is an interesting fight 'storyline'-wise based on what happened on TUF, but I can't think of a more boring match-up. It'll be semi-interesting to see how Vera does at 205. The rest of the card is eh, but it's free so I can't complain.

go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Post by go to sleep » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:38 am

fedor choked of big tim is 36 seconds....timing wise it sounds about right, i just expected it to be an armbar.

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:28 am

damn, Fedor and Anderson win by murder!

PuckaOne
Developmental Talent

Post by PuckaOne » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:01 pm

Hahahahahaha. Fedor pretty much showed up the UFC heavyweight division for the past three years
"Damn! I can't spell what I wanna say!" Just like Rampage

Evolution
Mid Carder

Post by Evolution » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:57 pm

After seeing Fedor's performance last night there's no doubt in my mind he's gonna armbar Couture if they ever get to fight.

BTW I hope Fedor's next fight is either Barnett or Arlovski.

THE KING
Developmental Talent

Post by THE KING » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:09 pm

PuckaOne wrote:Hahahahahaha. Fedor pretty much showed up the UFC heavyweight division for the past three years
uh no he didnt....
dont get all on a high horse just cause he beat Tim. Fedor had alot to loose last night Tim has been on top of the ufc for a whie only cause the there was no one to challenge him. The min a real fighter did (randy) he lost.

Nogeria beat him too. Basically fedor beat a guy who the other world champions beat. Which proves nohting other than all three guys are better tham Tim. Thats all. If fedor would have lost than it would have proven that pride is was and always will be hype. Well he won so it proves hes MAY be as good as the internet thinks.

dont ever fool your self Randy will beat him.

Evolution
Mid Carder

Post by Evolution » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:47 pm

THE KING wrote:
PuckaOne wrote:Hahahahahaha. Fedor pretty much showed up the UFC heavyweight division for the past three years
uh no he didnt....
dont get all on a high horse just cause he beat Tim. Fedor had alot to loose last night Tim has been on top of the ufc for a whie only cause the there was no one to challenge him. The min a real fighter did (randy) he lost.

Nogeria beat him too. Basically fedor beat a guy who the other world champions beat. Which proves nohting other than all three guys are better tham Tim. Thats all. If fedor would have lost than it would have proven that pride is was and always will be hype. Well he won so it proves hes MAY be as good as the internet thinks.

dont ever fool your self Randy will beat him.
So Sylvia beating Arlovski twice doesnt mean anything to you??

And I cant wait to see Fedor beat your hero Couture, armbar first round.

PuckaOne
Developmental Talent

Post by PuckaOne » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:08 am

If Tim was on top in the UFC doesn't that mean he's the best they have to offer?

Seeing as i've seen nearly all of Fedor's fights from his debut in PRIDE onwards I have no concern as to what the 'internet' thinks.

THE KING
Developmental Talent

Post by THE KING » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:15 am

arolvski really has nothing to do with it. you cant contest that the HW division in the UFC was not all that. Dont even try to say it was just forget it. Fedor's best fight was with crocrop and look what happend to him? bottom line is that
is fedor proved that he may again may be super human. tim is not randy in fact very few fighters are at his level. Fedor himself knows that randy is the sh!t and thats why he wants to fight him.

And I am gonna laugh at your a$$ when randy takes fedor 5 rounds and takes that stupid WAM BAM belt off him!

THE KING
Developmental Talent

Post by THE KING » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:20 am

PuckaOne wrote:If Tim was on top in the UFC doesn't that mean he's the best they have to offer?

Seeing as i've seen nearly all of Fedor's fights from his debut in PRIDE onwards I have no concern as to what the 'internet' thinks.
AGAIN he was the best of a division that was not very deep.
most to the fighters that could be at that HW are in the Light HW and we all know that. really Tim was basically a default champion and we all know that.
fedor beating tim is NOTHING special AT ALL. the speed he did it in is a different matter, so woopie to that! no really it was great.

just remember NEVER count randy out

PuckaOne
Developmental Talent

Post by PuckaOne » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:02 am

It's pretty obvious how bad the heavyweight division has been, that was sort of the point of my original post....

Sylvia is a very awkward match up for a high percentage of heavyweights worldwide