The Ultimate Fighter: Team Rampage vs. Team Forrest

Discuss sports leagues, put together fantasy leagues, brag about your team winning a championship, etc.
gutterhippo
VIP Member

The Ultimate Fighter: Team Rampage vs. Team Forrest

Post by gutterhippo » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:07 pm

Note: Please do NOT post any spoilers in this thread. After the show airs (on Wednesday) any fighters/eliminations/happenings are open for discussion. And, any predictions about the next week's episode are welcome. But if you read spoilers somewhere and know who's going to win ahead of time, keep it to yourself.

The Ultimate Figher 7: Team Rampage vs. Team Forrest

First Round:

Team Rampage:
>C.B. Dollaway
Matthew Riddle (eliminated)
Patrick Schultz (eliminated)
>Dan Cramer
Gerald Harris (eliminated)
Mike Dolce (eliminated)
Brandon Sene (eliminated)
Jeremy May (eliminated)

Team Forrest:
>Tim Credeur
>Amir Sadollah
>Jesse Taylor
>Matt Brown
>Cale Yarbrough
>Dante Rivera
Nick Klein (eliminated)
Luke Zachrich (eliminated)

Quarter-Finals:

Dante Rivera (eliminated) vs. Jesse Taylor
Amir Sadollah vs. Matt Brown (eliminated)
C.B. Dollaway vs. Cale Yarbrough (eliminated)
Tim Credeur vs. Dan Cramer (eliminated)

Semi-Finals:

Tim Credeur (eliminated) vs. Jesse Taylor
C.B. Dollaway (eliminated) vs. Amir Sadollah

Jesse Taylor eliminated for being an a$$

C.B. Dollaway vs. Tim Credeur (eliminated)

FINALS:

Amir Sadollah vs. C.B. Dollaway (eliminated)

note: fighters are listed in order they were picked. Fighters who have advanced to the next round will be bolded and in blue, while fighters who are eliminated with be italicized, in red, and noted.
Last edited by gutterhippo on Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:23 am, edited 15 times in total.

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:17 pm

I was going to wait until the teams were set before I start this, but I figured I'd go ahead and get it going.

I personally have mixed feelings on the new format of the show. I do like how them having to fight their way into the house weeds out the Gabe Ruediger's. But, I don't really think it was fair of them to expect the fighters to cut the weight within 24 hours and fight within 48 hours. On every other season, the fighter of the team in control had lots of time to prepare for the cut. But these guys just come in and realize they have to cut some crazy weight in not a lot of time, and have to prepare to fight without a coach. That one guy that had to cut 12 pounds could have gone far in the competition, but that cut killed him and he eventually gassed in his fight and lost to a lesser fighter.

And, I feel like the show hasn't started yet, like we have to wait until the 3rd episode to really get going. I watch the show for the fights, but also for the interaction between the coaches, the training, and the drama in the house surrounding the fights. But for the first two episodes, we're just going to get fight after fight with fighters we've never heard of.

go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Post by go to sleep » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:37 pm

i agree with you to an extent about the show hippo. i'm not really feeling the whole fight to get in thing. we're basically seeing a bunch of guys just jump into the cage and listen to rampage make fun of them. while that's all good and fun for a bit i'm looking forward to the dynamic we get to see when the guys get into the house. i really wanna see how rampage and forrest get along considering how everyone is saying they got heated towards the end.

the whole thing about cutting the weight in 24 hours sucks but i don't necessarliy think it's a terrible thing. these guys are fighting for a big time deal and should be prepared to hop into the cage as soon as they walk into the door. yea guys don't normally take fights on 24hrs notice, but this is a reality tv show. i understand that there can a big difference between a fighter's walking around weight and fighting weight but they shouldn't be coming into a show knowing they could fight at any moment so overweight to the point that it becomes a problem.
Check Out and Follow My MMA Blog: http://justincohee.blogspot.com/
UFC Predictions Game Results: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... 38pEj7scHA

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:11 pm

Well, we got those preliminary fights out of the way, and we can finally start the show. My early pick to win it all: Tim Credeur, the BJJ blackbelt.

Btw, a quick correction to what I said earlier: all 16 fighters are middleweights, there are no light heavyweights on the show. Kind of interesting as Rampage and Forrest fight at light heavyweight, but I'm glad they're trying to build their MW division.

go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Post by go to sleep » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:01 am

man when that guy got KO'd I felt sick to my stomach. usually a knock out like that has me jumpin out of my seat, but not this one. when the guy was groaning when he came to and then had no idea where he was....scary stuff. hope he's ok.
UFC Predictions Game Results: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... 38pEj7scHA

Evolution
Mid Carder

Post by Evolution » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:17 am

gutterhippo wrote:Well, we got those preliminary fights out of the way, and we can finally start the show. My early pick to win it all: Tim Credeur, the BJJ blackbelt.

Btw, a quick correction to what I said earlier: all 16 fighters are middleweights, there are no light heavyweights on the show. Kind of interesting as Rampage and Forrest fight at light heavyweight, but I'm glad they're trying to build their MW division.
To me its no suprise that they would be doing middleweight this year. Look at their previous winner, Kendall Grove. Out of all the TUF winners (not including Lutter) he has been the lease impressive.

For an early pic I'm gonna say Dolce but I wanna see the guy with the mullet win.

go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Post by go to sleep » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:04 pm

man sucks for that guy with the herpes symplex thing. dana was right though, when it comes to contagious disease you can't mess around. esp when there isn't a cure.

anyways....wow dolce had ZERO ground game. i was with evolution and looked for him to do well but that def didn't happen. i don't have the guys' names down yet so its hard for me to make picks.

but i remember on the 2nd episode there was a black belt bjj guy who did real well. w/e his name is...that's my pick thus far.

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:40 am

gts, I think you're talking about Tim Credeur, my early pick as well. Not to mention Forrest's first pick, and the guy Rampage jokingly pointed to when asked who he wanted to come back and be on his team. Guy's got potential for sure.

I'm glad the teams are finally picked and we can get this season underway. Sucks for that guy with herpes. When Rampage had a choice to bring someone back, I was surprised his team chose the guy with the goofy haircut. I was sure they'd choose the guy that had to cut a ridiculous amount of weight for his first fight. He looked like he had tons of potential, but just gassed because he wasn't expecting to lose all that weight. I'm also surprised Rampage didn't choose his best friend...

It's an interesting dynamic among the coaches this season. On the one hand, Team Forrest is clearly inferior. Team Rampage has got a world class boxing trainer and all of the experience of Rampage, while Forrest's training staff has guys I've never heard of before, Gray Maynard who is only two seasons removed from being on the show himself, and Forrest who is still really young in this sport. But, on the other hand, Rampage has a reputation for being lazy, while Forrest is known to be a relentless workhorse in the gym.

All things considered, it seems like Forrest is still the underdog in this competition, but there have been underdog coaches who ended up surprising me (most notably Jens Pulver and Matt Serra). Forrest is off to a great start, hopefully he can keep up the momentum.

go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Post by go to sleep » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:32 pm

is it just me or does forrest's BJJ guy look like he's about 18 years old?

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:51 am

So, the preview for this week's episode talked about the fight "exploding in controversy." Hmmm... all I saw was one illegal upkick, where the ref caught it and warned the fighter. It made absolutely no difference in the end, anyways.

As for the fight, it was kind of disappointing. Not that it wasn't fun, but I really expected more out of Tim Credeur. He was taken down pretty much at will. He had his back taken within the first minute. Any time he was in a dominant position, he didn't do much and would soon get reversed/swept. On top of all of that, he looked pretty damn tired pretty quick, but that might have just been those "UFC Jitters." In the end, he won by armbar, and it makes me really wish the losing fighter had to go home as I can't stand Riddle.

Forrest is now 2 wins to none, and they just took out one of Rampage's top guys and got one of their top guys in the next round. For whatever reason, I find myself cheering for Forrest's team, so I hope this keeps up.

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Sun May 04, 2008 5:21 am

Well, Forrest is now up 3-0. It's so interesting how teams get momentum like that, and I think it all goes back to who has control over the first fight. At the beginning, they usually do a coin toss and give the winner of the coin toss the option of either picking the first fighter, or picking the first fight. On every season where they've done that, the coach who wins the toss chooses to pick the first fighter. But, picking the first fight gives you a HUGE advantage. It means that you're more likely to win, and more likely to pick the next fight, and so on and so on. Out of the next five fights, Forrest only needs to win one to break even going into the next round of the competition. If he wins more than one (which will likely happen if he maintains or regains control of fight selection), he'll have a distinct advantage in the competition.

An example of this advantage is season 5, with both fighters in the finale coming from Jens Pulver's team. Season 6 is the exception to the rule, as Hughes only managed to get two guys past the first round, but then managed to get those two guys all the way through the competition to the finale.

Next week, we've got two fights scheduled, one of which is the Matt Brown/Jeremy May grudge match. Should be good, but I'm really starving for some drama on this season. I'd rather not see two fights per show in the place of some drama, but it seems like there's really nothing going on in the house this season. All of the guys seem pretty serious about their careers. Not necessarily a bad thing, but doesn't make for the most compelling television.

go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Post by go to sleep » Mon May 05, 2008 6:16 pm

Lime juice in the dip wasn't dramatic enough for you? haha

go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Post by go to sleep » Wed May 07, 2008 10:32 pm

so jeremy says his knee is hurt...can't spar or do conditioning. then he says he over-played it so he wouldn't have to do that kind of training...claims that's what works for him. he gasses early and gets KO'd. post-fight he goes back to blaming the knee injury for not being able to work on the conditioning.

while I'm sure he wanted to be careful cuz of the knee I think laziness was a factor as well. sick KO.

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Fri May 09, 2008 1:42 am

Yeah, glad to see Jeremy May get punked out like that. The first shot Matt throws, the guy flops over like a sack of sh!t. I don't think I've seen that since middle school, that was just embarrassing. Overall, it was a pretty sloppy fight with a nice ending.

Zachrich/Cramer is a good candidate for fight of the season, that was some good stuff. I was sure they wouldn't make it out of the first round with shots like that, but they somehow did, although there wasn't much left. Now Rampage is in control, and it's 4-1 Forrest. Rampage has to win the next 3 fights to go into the next round even.

PuckaOne
Developmental Talent

Post by PuckaOne » Fri May 09, 2008 7:38 am

I hope Rampage keeps winning so he can keep dancing!

The preview at the end of the show saw him looking pretty angry again next week though...
"Damn! I can't spell what I wanna say!" Just like Rampage

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Thu May 15, 2008 7:34 pm

Some very fun fights this week, but same complaint as usual: we still don't have much of an idea of who these guys are. They didn't even show any footage from the house this week. And this huge blowup between Rampage and Forrest turned out to be more or less nothing more than what the preview showed.

I think they'll have tons of great fighters come out of this season, but it might be one of the most boring seasons just because they're not really taking us inside the house.

For those keeping score, it's Forrest 6, Rampage 1 so far. But next week, one of Forrest's last picks will go up against Rampage's #1 pick, so it'll probably be 6-2 Forrest going into the next round.

PuckaOne
Developmental Talent

Post by PuckaOne » Fri May 16, 2008 11:43 am

Another poor decision in my eyes, even after the poor judging in an earlier fight.

Schultz was taken down twice in the first round but had no damage inflicted and Cale was pretty much bossed standing up for the majority.

Obvious second round win for Cale but the we surely should've seen a third.

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Sat May 17, 2008 3:17 pm

^^^

I agree that Cale lost the first, and Schultz lost the second. But, IMO, the first round was 10-9 Schultz, and the second was 10-8 Cale, giving Cale the 19-18 decision. Although Cale's takedowns were garbage and he didn't really know what to do on the ground, Schultz had zero takedown defense and did absolutely nothing on the ground except try to cover and maintain half-guard. I'm not sure if they're scoring the rounds on a 10-point system, but that would explain the decision.

As for the poor judging in the earlier fight, I can't say I see where you're coming from with that one either. Gerald goes down into the turtle position and starts getting pounded, the ref tells him to move, he doesn't and the ref stops it. Later he says that he was never out, but the ref might have thought he was because he didn't move. But really, that doesn't even matter. All that matters is if you're intelligently defending yourself or not. This whole debate came up with the Parisyan/Alves and Alexander/Irvin fights at the last Ultimate Fight Night. When Parisyan and Alexander lost by TKO (note, TKO, not KO), both claimed that they were never out. Although that's a pretty poor argument in Alexander's case as his arms were at his sides and his legs were stiff, who cares if they're "out" or not? All that matters is if they're intelligently defending themselves, which both men were clearly not. And, I think the same applies in this situation. Gerald was turtled up taking hard shots to the head with no answer, it's the ref's job to step in.

PuckaOne
Developmental Talent

Post by PuckaOne » Sun May 18, 2008 7:16 am

No i meant the fight earlier in the series which went to a decision. (Dante Rivera?)

I'm under the impression there is no ten point system, just round winners. Hence the final round if scores are even

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Wed May 21, 2008 11:15 pm

PuckaOne wrote:I'm under the impression there is no ten point system, just round winners. Hence the final round if scores are even
Yeah, I think you're right, my mistake.

The quarter-finals are set. It looks like they're hoping for CB vs. Tim in the finals. Next week we have another double-fight show. That'll be the third this season, they're just blazing through this season for some reason. At the most, we have 5 more shows, and I still have no idea who these guys are. Don't get me wrong, the fights have been great, but I'm just dying for some out-of-the-ring drama, in the house, between the coaches, wherever. Rampage shooting his future opponent with a Super Soaker isn't necessarily the feud that I hoped this show would cultivate.