UFC 85: Bedlam predictions and discussion

Discuss sports leagues, put together fantasy leagues, brag about your team winning a championship, etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
gutterhippo
VIP Member
Posts: 2577
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:39 pm
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Contact:

UFC 85: Bedlam predictions and discussion

Post by gutterhippo » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:52 am

**Note the earlier deadline due to this being an international event.**


The Rules:
+1 point per right answer (other than bonus questions, which will have the point value indicated next to the question)
+Will be asked to predict who wins, how, and in what round (note: title fights are 5 rounds, all other fights are 3 rounds)
+Ways to win:
Unanimous Decision
Split Decision (will include rare instances of Majority Decision and Draw)
Knockout
Technical Knockout/Referee Stoppage (includes doctor stoppage due to cut)
Submission (includes physical/verbal tapping out and corner stoppage)
DQ
+Only main card fights
+To get points for predicting the round and way the fight ended, you must correctly predict who won the fight (For example, if you said that Liddell would win a first round TKO on Rampage at UFC 71, you would get zero points because, even though the fight ended with a first round TKO, Liddell didn't win it).
+Predictions must be in by 11am Pacific/2pm Eastern time of the day of the fights.




UFC 85: Bedlam
Saturday, June 7, 2008

Matt Hughes vs. Thiago "Pitbull" Alves
(who wins? how? round?)

Nate Marquardt vs. Thales Leites
(who wins? how? round?)

Marcus Davis vs. Mike Swick
(who wins? how? round?)

Fabricio Werdum vs. Brandon Vera
(who wins? how? round?)

Michael Bisping vs. Jason Day
(who wins? how? round?)


**BONUS QUESTIONS**
2 points: It seems like in the main event, it would be to Hughes' advantage to stay away from Alves' strikes and take this to the ground. How many times will Hughes shoot in for a takedown before actually being able to take Alves down?
-Note: if no one gets the right answer, the person with the closest answer will get the 2 points.
-Note: if the fight ends before Hughes makes a successful takedown attempt, no one will get the bonus points.
Image

User avatar
go to sleep
Developmental Talent
Posts: 448
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:22 pm
Location: USA

Post by go to sleep » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:25 pm

Matt Hughes vs. Thiago "Pitbull" Alves
Matt Hughes-TKO-3rd Round

Nate Marquardt vs. Thales Leites
Marquardt-Submission-2nd Round

Marcus Davis vs. Mike Swick
Davis-1st Round-KO

Fabricio Werdum vs. Brandon Vera
Werdum-3rd Round-UD

Michael Bisping vs. Jason Day
Bisping-1st Round-TKO

Edit: Bonus Question-Takedown will occur on the 1st attempt by Hughes.
Last edited by go to sleep on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check Out and Follow My MMA Blog: http://justincohee.blogspot.com/
UFC Predictions Game Results: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... 38pEj7scHA

Evolution
Mid Carder
Posts: 1777
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:20 pm
Location: Toronto

Post by Evolution » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:23 pm

Alves vs Hughes
- Hughes by UD

Marquardt vs Leites
- Marquardt by UD

Davis vs Swick
- Davis by 2nd round TKO

Vera vs Werdum
- Werdum by UD

Bisping vs Day
- Bisping by 2nd round TKO

Bonus Question: 3
Last edited by Evolution on Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TDFG
Rookie
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:40 am

Post by TDFG » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:01 am

Hughes vs. Alves
Hughes, tko - rnd 2.

Marquardt vs. Leites
Marquardt, sub - rnd 3.

Davis vs. Swick
Davis, tko - rnd 2.

Werdum vs. Vera
Werdum, UD.

Bisping vs. Day
Bisping, tko - rnd 2.

Bonus - 2nd attempt.
Bret Hart: The best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.

User avatar
gutterhippo
VIP Member
Posts: 2577
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:39 pm
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Contact:

Post by gutterhippo » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:23 am

Evolution, you can give the bonus question a shot if you want.


My predictions...

Matt Hughes by TKO, 2nd round
Nate Marquardt by unanimous decision, 3rd round
Mike Swick by TKO, 2nd round
Brandon Vera by TKO, 1st round
Michael Bisping by TKO, 1st round

Bonus Question: 1st attempt


To be honest, I'm not too excited about this card. They keep talking about how the winner of Hughes/Alves and Vera/Werdum will be in the title picture, but we all know that GSP/Fitch and Nogueira/Mir are already set. So, even if they are in the 'title picture,' they'll likely have to go through another opponent and won't get their shot until late this year or early next year.

And, it doesn't help that Hughes is talking about wanting to fight Serra after his fight with Alves. Hughes/Alves might be fun, but reminding the fans of Hughes/Serra isn't a great way to get PPV buys.
Image

User avatar
gutterhippo
VIP Member
Posts: 2577
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:39 pm
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Contact:

Post by gutterhippo » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:48 am

Last call for predictions, get em in now if you haven't already. Remember, there's an earlier deadline due to this being an international event.

And, if you haven't heard, Thiago Alves did not make weight. He weighed in at 174, it's like he didn't even try. First he gets busted for using a diuretic in a previous fight, with his only explanation being "my bad," and now this. He's certainly not doing a great job endearing himself to the fans. Here's hoping Hughes smashes him.
Image

User avatar
El Rockero
Posts: 942
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:46 pm
Location: Salinas, CA

Post by El Rockero » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:01 pm

Am I too late? I think the prelims aren't even done yet. If so my predictions can be void. No biggie

Matt Hughes vs. Thiago "Pitbull" Alves
(Hughes TKO 2nd)

Nate Marquardt vs. Thales Leites
(Marquardt Submission 2nd)

Marcus Davis vs. Mike Swick
(Davis KO 1st round)

Fabricio Werdum vs. Brandon Vera
(Vera TKO 1st round)

Michael Bisping vs. Jason Day
(Day Submission 2nd round)

Bonus: 2
Image

User avatar
gutterhippo
VIP Member
Posts: 2577
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:39 pm
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Contact:

Post by gutterhippo » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:18 am

^^^ Yeah, we'll count it. Results should be up in the next couple of days.



I didn't watch the event live, I just found most of the fight videos online, so that might have taken some of the energy away, but it just seemed like a blah night of fights. The fact that they had ZERO buildup to it might have also contributed, but anyways, here are my brief thoughts on the fights:

Werdum/Vera- the stoppage was a close call, but you have to err on the side of caution. It didn't matter if he was getting hurt or not, what matters is whether or not he was still defending himself. And, I guess he was, but it's tough because he was in such a bad spot, and shots were getting through. The crowd needs to be lined up and backhanded for booing Werdum after the fight, he had nothing to do with it being an early stoppage. Btw, lol at the toolbox of a translator Werdum had!

Bisping/Day- Eh, what can you say? Bisping dominated, but he was supposed to. I guess I can't blame the guy, or the UFC, as they originally had him up against Chris Leben until Leben went to jail. But, I really hope they give Bisping a test in his next fight. He seems the closest to a shot at Anderson Silva at this point, but he should have to get through a bigger name (Rich Franklin maybe?).

Marquardt/Leites- don't know, didn't watch it. I can't find a video of it, if anyone can find it, a link would be much appreciated. I hear some controversial stuff went down..

Davis/Swick- this fight was hot-and-cold, with some great action at some points, and then some obnoxious lay n' pray at others. Marcus Davis has a lot of gifts, but he really needs to know how to work better off his back. You don't have to be a BJJ expert, just do something. Every fighter should study Jared Rollins/Jon Koppenhaver, and practice those elbows from the bottom. Lots of guys seem content to hold on and throw little pitter-patter shots until they get a stand-up. Compare Davis' guard to Swick's guard. I'm not saying Mike Swick is the best fighter, or really even a better fighter than Davis, but as soon as Swick was taken down, his hips were up and he was going for a triangle. When that didn't work, he was pushing Davis away with his legs and standing up. That's an active and threatening guard, not just an excuse to rest on your back.

Hughes/Alves- Maybe it's because my friend and I happened to be walking past a bar when we heard it announced that Alves won by TKO. Or maybe it was because Alves didn't make weight. But I'm just not all that excited about Alves' win here. Definitely a cool finish with that perfectly timed flying knee, but thoughout the fight, I was more focused on how bad Hughes was doing versus how good Alves was doing. This is the guy that not too long ago was slamming everyone through the mat, and it was kind of depressing to see how much of a hard time he had taking Alves down. If anything good comes of this, I guess it makes Hughes look very beatable, and makes the Hughes/Serra match-up (which I hope they follow through with) look like it could be a very competitive contest.
Image

User avatar
THE KING
Developmental Talent
Posts: 492
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:38 am
Location: TEXAS

Post by THE KING » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:57 pm

well I saw this UFC and thought is was a pretty solid card with not really a must see fight.

My main comment is that the refs have to stop calling fights early! let the guy take a few more shots before stepping in. I am not saying let guy get pounded, but we should all know that the guy is DONE! too many fights are being stopped early. Vera was not done at all and I though that was a bad stop.

I am soooooo disappointed in hughes. his last 2 fights have sucked! I almost want to disown the guy already as one of my top faves. Its getting painful to watch him fight. I dont think either of the guys that beat him are better tham him I just think that Hughes is not the same fighter. I really give no credit to GSP or alves. they basically beat a man whos not who he use to be. In any case since alves didnt make weight does the fight still count? is it like not sanctioned? Hughes should just stop fighting. I would just fight 2 chumps and go out on a winning streak.
Edge is Mid-Card for Life.
Jeff Jarrett is better than Edge
Theres a reason Cena gets booed.

Heres a thought....think outside the MODS!

User avatar
El Rockero
Posts: 942
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:46 pm
Location: Salinas, CA

Post by El Rockero » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:33 pm

gutterhippo wrote:^^^ Yeah, we'll count it. Results should be up in the next couple of days.
Thanks. In the end I don't think it mattered much...I think I got all my predictions wrong. haha.
Image

Evolution
Mid Carder
Posts: 1777
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:20 pm
Location: Toronto

Post by Evolution » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:04 pm

THE KING wrote:I am soooooo disappointed in hughes. his last 2 fights have sucked! I almost want to disown the guy already as one of my top faves. Its getting painful to watch him fight. I dont think either of the guys that beat him are better tham him I just think that Hughes is not the same fighter. I really give no credit to GSP or alves. they basically beat a man whos not who he use to be. In any case since alves didnt make weight does the fight still count? is it like not sanctioned? Hughes should just stop fighting. I would just fight 2 chumps and go out on a winning streak.
Still hating on GSP eh? What else is new.
My main comment is that the refs have to stop calling fights early! let the guy take a few more shots before stepping in. I am not saying let guy get pounded, but we should all know that the guy is DONE! too many fights are being stopped early. Vera was not done at all and I though that was a bad stop.
I know this stoppage gets alot of hate but Vera did nothing to cover up and was taking shots, legit stoppage, and who cares, Werdum was going to win anyways.

User avatar
THE KING
Developmental Talent
Posts: 492
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:38 am
Location: TEXAS

Post by THE KING » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:35 pm

Evolution wrote:
THE KING wrote:I am soooooo disappointed in hughes. his last 2 fights have sucked! I almost want to disown the guy already as one of my top faves. Its getting painful to watch him fight. I dont think either of the guys that beat him are better tham him I just think that Hughes is not the same fighter. I really give no credit to GSP or alves. they basically beat a man whos not who he use to be. In any case since alves didnt make weight does the fight still count? is it like not sanctioned? Hughes should just stop fighting. I would just fight 2 chumps and go out on a winning streak.
Still hating on GSP eh? What else is new.
My main comment is that the refs have to stop calling fights early! let the guy take a few more shots before stepping in. I am not saying let guy get pounded, but we should all know that the guy is DONE! too many fights are being stopped early. Vera was not done at all and I though that was a bad stop.
I know this stoppage gets alot of hate but Vera did nothing to cover up and was taking shots, legit stoppage, and who cares, Werdum was going to win anyways.
Yeah I am still slamming GSP. And I will keep doing it! I just wish I could do it on a Newspaper Sportspage where more people would see!

Yeah I think werdum would have won BUT its sill better to know the fight was really over. this is MMA real fighting not some crap Boxing JOKE. people wanna know they saw a good fight with a clear winner.
Edge is Mid-Card for Life.
Jeff Jarrett is better than Edge
Theres a reason Cena gets booed.

Heres a thought....think outside the MODS!

Evolution
Mid Carder
Posts: 1777
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:20 pm
Location: Toronto

Post by Evolution » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:39 pm

THE KING wrote:
Evolution wrote:
THE KING wrote:I am soooooo disappointed in hughes. his last 2 fights have sucked! I almost want to disown the guy already as one of my top faves. Its getting painful to watch him fight. I dont think either of the guys that beat him are better tham him I just think that Hughes is not the same fighter. I really give no credit to GSP or alves. they basically beat a man whos not who he use to be. In any case since alves didnt make weight does the fight still count? is it like not sanctioned? Hughes should just stop fighting. I would just fight 2 chumps and go out on a winning streak.
Still hating on GSP eh? What else is new.
My main comment is that the refs have to stop calling fights early! let the guy take a few more shots before stepping in. I am not saying let guy get pounded, but we should all know that the guy is DONE! too many fights are being stopped early. Vera was not done at all and I though that was a bad stop.
I know this stoppage gets alot of hate but Vera did nothing to cover up and was taking shots, legit stoppage, and who cares, Werdum was going to win anyways.
Yeah I am still slamming GSP. And I will keep doing it! I just wish I could do it on a Newspaper Sportspage where more people would see!

Yeah I think werdum would have won BUT its sill better to know the fight was really over. this is MMA real fighting not some crap Boxing JOKE. people wanna know they saw a good fight with a clear winner.
Legit stoppage or not I really dont want to see a rematch, Vera needs to go down to 205 where he could be a monster.

KING I have to ask what makes you such a big Jon Fitch fan? lol

User avatar
go to sleep
Developmental Talent
Posts: 448
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:22 pm
Location: USA

Post by go to sleep » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:55 pm

KING maybe you should rethink watching MMA all together. you talk smack about GSP and he beat serra easily. you talk bad about alves yet he spanked karo and hughes. hughes is def not looking like the hughes of old but you can't just be like well i don't like him anymore cuz he lost. he's had a long very successful career and still has some good fights in him. that's one crappy fan right there. swick beat davis and it sucks...but have i changed my sig or avie? nope.

PS..early stoppages are going to happen but I'd much rather see those then see guys end up like Ali.
Check Out and Follow My MMA Blog: http://justincohee.blogspot.com/
UFC Predictions Game Results: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... 38pEj7scHA

User avatar
gutterhippo
VIP Member
Posts: 2577
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:39 pm
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Contact:

Post by gutterhippo » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:38 am

The results are in....

Image


Congrats to Evolution on the high score. As a whole, we didn't do all that great...

btw, for the bonus question, I counted it as the 3rd attempt. On the second attempt, Hughes pulled guard, but I don't really consider that a take down. Hughes clearly got a take down on the 3rd attempt. But, this is open to discussion. If enough people think pulling guard is equal to a take down, I'll change the right answer to the 2nd attempt.

I finally got a chance to watch Marquardt/Leites. Very fun fight, and Marquardt proves he's more than a lay n' pray BJJ guy. That was some vicious ground n pound. As for the fouls, the knee was clearly a foul and I'm glad they stopped it at that point and let Leites recover. The elbow on the side of the head makes me reconsider my previous comment about how guys should throw elbows from the bottom. It's too hard of a call for refs to make, and they have to err on the side of caution (see Lauzon/Florian as well). But, Marquardt can't complain too much, as right after that he spike piledrives Leites and gets away with it.
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest