Elite XC 2/16: Kimbo v. Tank Abbott

Discuss sports leagues, put together fantasy leagues, brag about your team winning a championship, etc.
go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Elite XC 2/16: Kimbo v. Tank Abbott

Post by go to sleep » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:41 am

just got done watchin the elite xc event on showtime...gotta say i was impressed. i typically just stick to the UFC but i found out one of my buddies had showtime and i really wanted to see the kimbo/abbott fight. the card had 5 fights total including a heavyweight fight featuring ricco "celebrity rehab" rodriguez (who lost a real close split decision). i can't remember the names of the other fighters but a lot of em were new to elite xc.

first fight: sick 1st round KO....guy's head looked like it was gonna fall off

second fight: my personal fav. 7sec left in the 1st and one guy goes for a single leg takedown but his opponent keeps his balance on foot hops around then jumps up to deliver a knee for the KO...def hadn't seen that before

third fight: smith won by KO 4sec into the 2nd round. announcers said he had fought in the UFC with little success. rocked some aussie dude and split his lip big time

fourth fight: another silva wins a split decision over ricco rodriguez. really good fight. if ricco would stop being fat he'd have a chance of gettin back to his glory days. i had never seen this silva guy before but they were talkin him up like he's the future of the HW division. looked okay i guess. p.s. if conan o'brien did one of those things were u combine celebs to see what their kid would like....silva would be the product of jay leno and the great khali

fifth fight: kimbo v. tank...kimbo wins a decisive 1st round KO. tank went for the takedown until he got rocked like 20sec in but kimbo landed 3 shots to the back of the head so the ref stopped them very much like the situation in the mir/lesnar fight. fight continues and kimbo knocks down abbott two more times but lets him up before finishing him off with the KO

fun night of fights with all the KO's but the whole card took 2hrs. no prelims i guess so they just killed a ton of time between fights and had a crap performance by pitbull. elite xc needs to learn how to cut back on the time wasting crap...i mean even the introductions were painfully long. each fighter got a minute description including fighting style (one guy's was thug jitsu), win/loss record, how they got those wins, nicknames, hometown, fighting camp, etc.....either way it took forever.
Check Out and Follow My MMA Blog: http://justincohee.blogspot.com/
UFC Predictions Game Results: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... 38pEj7scHA

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:45 am

I just watched the Kimbo/Tank fight, and man was that fun! I wonder where this puts Kimbo with Dana and the UFC. Dana has talked trash about Kimbo before, but with the UFC's shallow HW division, and with the buzz that this fight drew, and with the amazingly fun fight that it turned out to be, Dana would be a fool not to try and scoop this guy up. Kimbo/Tank was the "2 HW's meet in the center of the octogon and start swinging" fight that Dana always promises but never delivers. As unpolished as Kimbo is, he's fun and he's a draw.

go to sleep wrote:fun night of fights with all the KO's but the whole card took 2hrs. no prelims i guess so they just killed a ton of time between fights and had a crap performance by pitbull. elite xc needs to learn how to cut back on the time wasting crap...i mean even the introductions were painfully long. each fighter got a minute description including fighting style (one guy's was thug jitsu), win/loss record, how they got those wins, nicknames, hometown, fighting camp, etc.....either way it took forever.
Well, to their credit, EliteXC did stream the 5 prelims live (and free) earlier in the day (not sure if they're still up though).

Evolution
Mid Carder

Post by Evolution » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:24 am

I was unable to see the EliteXC last night because I went out but I'm gonna catch it later today on The Fight Network.

Only result I saw was Kimbo winning in 43 seconds, called that one gutterhippo 8)

go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Post by go to sleep » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:02 pm

with the way the HW division looks like in the UFC right now signing kimbo might not be the worst of ideas. imagine the draw a kimbo/lesnar fight would bring. i would def pay to see that one.

haven't seen kimbo's ground game so lesnar could make it interesting on that front while kimbo tests out lesnar's chin.
UFC Predictions Game Results: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... 38pEj7scHA

Evolution
Mid Carder

Post by Evolution » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:28 pm

Right now I dont think EliteXC wants to lose Kimbo Slice to anyone. And seeing how their paying him huge money I dont think UFC wants to take that chance again.

For instance, CC was a failure in the UFC, and Lesnar lost his first fight against a washed up Frank Mir.

go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Post by go to sleep » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:11 pm

^^^

I agree with you on the point that Elite XC doesn't wanna lose Kimbo right now...but just because someone doesn't win, it doesn't mean they aren't going to see tickets. You put someone like Lesnar or Kimbo on a card, tickets and PPVs are going to sell. Lesnar had a pretty good showing despite the loss and next time he fights I'm sure that PPV will sell very well.

and mir washed up? man I can't help but disagree with that. yea he's arguably not the fighter he once was but for a guy who has gone through what he has...I still think he's a force. this is especially true now cuz people are writing him off as a has been. The guy has a professional record of 11-3 and is a former heavyweight champ. his loss to marcio cruz isn't great for the resume but losing to someone like brandon vera doesn't make you washed up. anyone can lose at anytime. it's like liddell says...if you're undefeated you aren't fighting the right people. and with the talent pool the way it is in MMA right now...anybody can win at anytime and that is why the sport is so great. one little mistake can cost you big time (hint lesnar hint).

Evolution
Mid Carder

Post by Evolution » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:57 am

I'm just saying the last time Mir was a force was at UFC 48 when he beat Sylvia. The motorcycle accident took alot out of him, I mean he was getting beaten by Lesnar until that leg lock.

Like Mir still is a good fighter but do you think he can beat a Sylvia, Nog or Werdum?

go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Post by go to sleep » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:50 pm

^^^

I def think Mir could beat any of those guys. the motorcycle accident def took away some of his game but I think Mir has the skill to beat most guys in the HW division. obviously an accident of that magnitude is going to mess with you a little bit but I think people point at it like its turned him from a former champ into an absolute bum. only 3 losses in his professional career and arguably the one against marcio cruz is the only one he def should not have lost.

He's beaten Sylvia before and should they fight again and go to the ground Mir could submit him again. syliva is talented no doubt about it but when a fight makes it to the ground he is def in his weak spot.

Nog, while a great fighter, is not without his flaws. I see Mir as being ahead of Heath Herring in terms of skill and Herring had Nog beat until he let him back up like a fool.

I haven't really seen Werdum fight that much so it's hard for me to make a call on that. the fact that he tko'd gonzaga, though, makes me wanna see more of him.

Evolution
Mid Carder

Post by Evolution » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:29 pm

Although good points I'm gonna stick with my opinion.

Sylvia even though has a limited game on the ground was not submitted by Monson, who you could say is just as good on the ground as Mir now. Arlovski failed to sub him in their second and third bout. Sylvia has underrated sub defense but can be beaten on the ground. Sylvia would KO Mir early.

Mir beating Nog is defiantly not going to happen. Herring knocked down Nog but does Mir have the striking ability or power like Herring? Not even close. Nog by sub early in the fight.

go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Post by go to sleep » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:32 pm

^^^

haha no worries man you are entitled to your opinion and you make good points as well. we'll just have to wait and see how stuff unfolds. prolly won't see mir fight again until late spring or sometime in the summer anyways.

until then we'll just have to settle for herring/kongo....which i'm not all that excited for.

Evolution
Mid Carder

Post by Evolution » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:07 pm

go to sleep wrote:^^^

haha no worries man you are entitled to your opinion and you make good points as well. we'll just have to wait and see how stuff unfolds. prolly won't see mir fight again until late spring or sometime in the summer anyways.

until then we'll just have to settle for herring/kongo....which i'm not all that excited for.
Herring/Kongo is a decent fight, Herring best chance to beat Kongo is take it to the ground. I hope they bang it out but I have a feeling it will be a snorfest.

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:14 pm

This may sound cynical, but I honestly don't think we'll see Mir in any high-profile fights, at least until he racks up one or two more wins. The focus of Lesnar-Mir was on Lesnar. When the fight was over, it was about Lesnar losing, not about Mir winning. It was an absolutely beautiful submission and awesome win, but unfortunately, it seems like all people cared about was how well Lesnar did until he got submittedd. And what do people say about Mir submitting Lesnar? Well, he was supposed to win by sub anyways so who cares. He's got a great comeback story, and could definitely be a force in the division, but I really question whether everyone believes that he's fully recovered from that accident.

On the topic of Kimbo, I'd love to see him fight Tim Sylvia. Imagine how that would go. Tim would stall with jabs and try to fight in the clinch, and Kimbo would go apesh!t and knock Tim's face in. I don't think very highly of Kimbo as a fighter, to be honest, but I just think his explosiveness and unpredictibility would match up well with what Sylvia has to offer.

Evolution wrote:Herring/Kongo is a decent fight, Herring best chance to beat Kongo is take it to the ground. I hope they bang it out but I have a feeling it will be a snorfest.
I love how Dana's talking about Kongo's amazing takedown defense in the preview. Here's Herring's fight-winning gameplan:
fight starts
shoot from the other side of the octogon
grab a hold of Kongo's leg, toe, or even the air around him and take him down.
pound on him for three rounds

It has a potential to be exciting if it stays standing, but it would be absolutely retarded for Herring to try and strike with Kongo and not try to take this one to the ground.
Last edited by gutterhippo on Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Post by go to sleep » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:16 pm

yea im leaning towards snorefest....i'd rather see the arlovski fight

besides the main event i'm really lookin forward to okami/tanner...

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:24 pm

go to sleep wrote:besides the main event i'm really lookin forward to okami/tanner...
Yeah, I'm surprised they're promoting Kongo/Herring over Okami/Tanner. I'm also looking forward to the Kos, Leben, and Arlovski fights and Cummo/Fiorivanti. That whole card is absolutely stacked, my only complaint is that they're feeding some nobody to Jon Fitch to continue his Goldberg-esque streak.

go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Post by go to sleep » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:38 pm

^^^

yea this card is loaded...which is good and bad in its own right.

hippo i think u made this comment before but with the card so stacked you get guys like kos, cummo, diego, and even arlovski in the prelims...which we might not even get to see on PPV. and a lot of those guys and fitch aren't exactly fighting top contenders...

not sure how i feel about leben being so high up in the card too

the main event is makin me drool tho....hendo is out to prove himself that he belongs in the ufc but he's gotta go thru the best fighter in the world today...

Evolution
Mid Carder

Post by Evolution » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:34 pm

go to sleep wrote:the main event is makin me drool tho....hendo is out to prove himself that he belongs in the ufc but he's gotta go thru the best fighter in the world today...
He's fighting Fedor now?

go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Post by go to sleep » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:09 pm

Evolution wrote:
go to sleep wrote:the main event is makin me drool tho....hendo is out to prove himself that he belongs in the ufc but he's gotta go thru the best fighter in the world today...
He's fighting Fedor now?
haha not quite...he's fighting ken shamrock

PuckaOne
Developmental Talent

Post by PuckaOne » Wed May 07, 2008 9:28 am

No idea what fights/events they're going to show but sky sports in the UK is advertising 'Mixed Martial Arts' on for two hours at 9 o'clock tonight and the infobar shows it's elitexc.

Maybe a one off to gauge interest in a new company as Cage Rage has been performing quite well on the channel i believe.
"Damn! I can't spell what I wanna say!" Just like Rampage

alphaman04
Mid Carder

Post by alphaman04 » Thu May 08, 2008 11:12 pm

I saw the fight. Man what an upper cut he put on Abbott!!! Kimbo is for real.

WWE would be better if Jamie Noble and Fit Finlay won the RAW & SD titles... kids everywhere would cry "wtf are all my roidhead favorites?"

PuckaOne
Developmental Talent

Post by PuckaOne » Fri May 09, 2008 7:39 am

I watched a bit but had already seen most fights online, quite a delay getting to air over here. Keep it coming though
"Damn! I can't spell what I wanna say!" Just like Rampage