UFC 83: Serra vs. St. Pierre 2 predictions and discussion

Discuss sports leagues, put together fantasy leagues, brag about your team winning a championship, etc.
gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:41 pm

go to sleep wrote:1. A lot of people already think Serra's win was a fluke. Yes he beat GSP badly but a lot of people think Serra got lucky, GSP got caught, and that Serra won by freak accident. If Serra loses tomorrow it gives the appearance that Serra was supposed to lose the first fight and just got lucky. That of course wouldn't be totally proven until the two fought a 3rd time, but Serra would have to beat someone like Hughes, Fitch, Kos, Davis, Sanchez, etc. to show that he deserves that rematch in the 1st place. A loss would put Serra down a few pegs and in that weight division it's not an easy road back to the top.
If Serra loses (or wins for that matter), there's still big money in Serra/Hughes. Then, after that (assuming he's no longer the champ), I fully expect Serra to drop back down to 155. Depending on how many fights he's got left in him, he could really mix things up in that division. Maynard, Sotiropoulos, Nate Diaz, Gamburyan, Mac Danzig, KenFlo, and a rematch with BJ Penn would all be pretty fun fights. I don't think he'll ever touch the 155 belt, but he'll certainly be a great addition to an already deep 155 division.

For GSP, it's an interesting position because, should he win, he can pick up where he left off last year. He might find himself where Anderson Silva finds himself. There aren't any clear contenders in sight. Jon Fitch is inching his way there, and a fight with a top 10 welterweight might seal the deal. But, I don't see Fitch beating GSP. Karo Parisyan was recently derailed. We're not going to have a Hughes/GSP 4. Kos/GSP 2 isn't terribly appealing right now, but if Kos got a few big wins under his belt, it might be a possibility.

Basically, I'm hard-pressed to think of a current welterweight that is a legit threat to GSP. That said, I would love to see GSP/BJ Penn II at 170. And, I'm afraid to even mention GSP/Anderson Silva because I don't want to jinx it, but that would be A-FVCKING-MAZING!!!

El Rockero

Post by El Rockero » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:10 pm

Matt "The Terror" Serra vs. Georges "Rush" St. Pierre (Welterweight Title Fight)
GSP 3rd rd TKO

Rich Franklin vs. Travis Lutter
Franklin 2nd TKO

Nate Quarry vs. Kalib Starnes
Starnes 1st Submission

Charles McCarthy vs. Michael Bisping
Bisping 3rd KO

Mac Danzig vs. Mark Bocek
Danzig 2nd Submission

**BONUS QUESTIONS**
Will one or more preliminary fights be aired AFTER the airing of the main event?
Yes

Including the preliminary fights, how many fights will see the 3rd round (0-11)?

go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Post by go to sleep » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:37 am

just some thoughts on the fights this evening.

I live in Greensboro, NC and have been hard-pressed to find a place that shows the fights around here. There's a local bar next door to my apartment building that used to get every PPV but they got busted for having a residential cable hook-up and now the owner won't shell out the money to get em anymore.

Found out there is a Buffalo Wild Wings in High Point about 10-15 minutes away that got the fights. There were a couple other bars/restaurants in the strip mall and it looked like nearly everyone had the fights. As soon as me and my buddy walked in you could tell why people were there. TONS of GSP fans. One guy even had GSP's head band on too...cool stuff KING if you want to know what GSP's appeal is jsut ask anyone at a local bar like this and I'm sure someone will give you some different answers than from what we said. Anyways, on to the fights.

Danzig v. Bocek: Probably my favorite fight of the night. Bocek controlled Danzig for the 1st round only to take a serious beating in the 2nd. Danzig has some pretty good stand up...good knees. I was kind of hoping that Danzig would call out Florian during the post-fight interview...no such luck.

Bisping v. McCarthy: Bisping really took it to McCarthy. I don't know what McCarthy's strategy was but apparently part of it was to get hit a lot, act like it didn't phase him, then get hit a lot more and lose the fight. I thought Bisping might get caught with that armbar attempt but he kept his cool and looked impressive.

Quarry v. Starnes: Quarry looked real good. Not only are his punches as good as ever but his leg kicks just looked brutal. I like the guy a lot and hope he can continue with the success. I'm not sure if Starnes was scared of Quarry's KO power or what but he really looked like he didn't want any part of that fight. Funny how Quarry mocked him running away. I don't know why Starnes and his camp had to get all bent out of shape when it's obvious he did nothing to try and win that fight.

Franklin v. Lutter: Good for Franklin, especially with the armbar escape. I was really impressed with how easy he made that look. Lutter is just not impressing me with anything these days. First he doesn't make weight for the Silva fight and now he looked like he just completely gave up on that fight. His shoots were weak and he left his head out like he was begging for Franklin to land a knee or kick to just end the fight. His conditioning obviously needs a lot of work. Apparently he's training with Phil Baroni conditioning wise haha.

GSP v. Serra: Once again GSP is the champ and looked great doing it. Serra did a good job of protecting himself on the ground in the 1st round but still got caught with a couple good shots and elbows. GSP did exactly what he needed to do and controlled Serra the entire fight. It looked like Serra was pretty gassed after the first round and really didn't offer much in the 2nd. Brutal knees by GSP to Serra's ribs for the finish. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to complain about the finish but even Serra knew he was getting beat and the ref was just saving him from having broken ribs and other internal injuries.
Check Out and Follow My MMA Blog: http://justincohee.blogspot.com/
UFC Predictions Game Results: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... 38pEj7scHA

THE KING
Developmental Talent

Post by THE KING » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:50 am

Yeah well I am not impressed at all.

I wont even say GSP won the fight because it shouldnt have been stopped. Credit needs to be given on equal ground. Serra GSP 1 the reff give GSP a solid amount of time to come back, but he didnt. Serra GSP 2 the reff stops the fights on knees to side? WTF WTF. Yes serra was hurt so what that doesnt mean the fight was over. I dont buy it but I have to say I felt come hell or high water GSP was walking out as champ just to please French-Canada. just like bisbing hammil. I knew it would happen. Any way this win means little GSP did not give the beat down that equaled the one he got, and nothing changes that. Bottom line serra has humiliated GSP, and not vice vera.

Bad stop, and also why was GSP a coward to through hands??? But we all know why.
Edge is Mid-Card for Life.
Jeff Jarrett is better than Edge
Theres a reason Cena gets booed.

Heres a thought....think outside the MODS!

go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Post by go to sleep » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:10 am

^^^^

How did I know this was going to happen...

If it was such a bad stoppage then surely Serra would've been pissed at the end of the fight. Oh wait that didn't happen!!!! Serra congratulated GSP and knew he got beat fair and square. MMA isn't all about beatdowns and KO's it's about skill in all aspects of the game. Serra got taken down with ease and GSP controlled the entire fight. Serra is known for his BJJ and still offered nothing the entire fight.

GSP a coward to not throw (check your spelling and usage dude) with Serra??? Serra knocked out GSP with his stand up last time so why would GSP give him the chance to do it again? That is what I like to call smart fighting. GSP scored takedowns and damage and completely controlled that fight where he knew he could.

I'm sure that you're upset your boy lost but don't make excuses when he isn't. Knees to the body are no joke. Fractured ribs aren't the only worry as then you have to worry about internal injuries. A broken rib can pierce a lung and cause serious damage and even death. Watch the fight again and watch closely at the end of the fight. When GSP is landing the knees to the body Serra's head and hands just flop lifelessly with the rest of his body. No attempt to protect himself or get out of the situation. Serra was done and he knows it.
UFC Predictions Game Results: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... 38pEj7scHA

PuckaOne
Developmental Talent

Post by PuckaOne » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:10 pm

If the fight wasn't stopped, Serra would've had some major internal problems. He knew he had been beaten by the better fighter and acknowledged this by his show of class after the fight.

GSP v Silva please!

Icepick
Mid Carder

Post by Icepick » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:37 pm

THE KING wrote:Yeah well I am not impressed at all.

I wont even say GSP won the fight because it shouldnt have been stopped. Credit needs to be given on equal ground. Serra GSP 1 the reff give GSP a solid amount of time to come back, but he didnt. Serra GSP 2 the reff stops the fights on knees to side? WTF WTF. Yes serra was hurt so what that doesnt mean the fight was over. I dont buy it but I have to say I felt come hell or high water GSP was walking out as champ just to please French-Canada. just like bisbing hammil. I knew it would happen. Any way this win means little GSP did not give the beat down that equaled the one he got, and nothing changes that. Bottom line serra has humiliated GSP, and not vice vera.

Bad stop, and also why was GSP a coward to through hands??? But we all know why.
I seen GSP's hnds thrown, unless I was to tanked and Serra was just snapping his head back for the hell of it

shouldn't have been stopped? a fight gets stopped when a fighter can no longer intelligently defend himself, and last I checked curling up eating multiple knees to the kidney, is not a smart defensive plan

and lets say you're right, it was a bad stop, the firsttwo rounds of domination never existed? I know there always a chance of hitting that one knock out, but from bell to bell, I seen zero attacks from Serra, and zero ability to stop the onslaught from GSP

and you can call GSP a coward for not acting like a punching bag I guess, but he still beat him on the ground, and that's where Serra's supposed strength is

Don't get me wrong, I like Serra, but he got filled, and you can't argue anything about it

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:06 am

King, I offered you the opportunity to prove yourself by beating me in the predictions game. You didn't reply back. As far as I'm concerned, you really can't say sh!t now. You have shown zero knowledge for MMA, and zero respect for the fighters, so there is no reason why any of us should show you any respect.

That is the last time I will address KING and his dumba$$ disrespectful posts. I encourage you all to do the same. If we don't feed the troll, he'll die away.

On to the fights....

Danzig/Bocek- I was very impressed with both of these guys. I feel like an a$$ for not giving Bocek any credit in my predictions, I didn't even do any research on the guy. I just figured they were feeding Danzig a win. Danzig looked great, as did Bocek, and now we have even more additions to an already overstacked LW division. I'm thinking it might be time to open up the 145 division...

Bisping/McCarthy- I've been critical of Bisping before, but he looked excellent in there at 185. And, that comment about him not even having to cut to make 185 makes me wonder what he'd be like at welterweight. But, smart of him to stick to 185 considering how shallow that division is right now.

Quarry/Starnes- I laughed my a$$ off when they announced that one judge scored it 24/30, serves Starnes right for not doing anything. I am baffled as to what his strategy was. He just got hit and ran the whole fight. And, the worst part was, his corner kept telling him to stand with Quarry. He's clearly getting his a$$ kicked there, why not at least go for a shot or pull guard? As for Quarry, he looked very impressive and very fluid. His last fight was pretty sloppy, so I was glad to see him look so smooth in there on his feet.

Franklin/Lutter- VERY fun fight, probably my fight of the night. The first round, Franklin did awesome on the bottom, he was so squirrelly and did a great job of using his legs to create space and neutralize Lutter. Of course, this was a bit easier as Lutter didn't throw much so there wasn't that to be worried about. Eventually, Lutter mounts and gets the armbar. And, here's my rant: How in the world does a supposedly world class BJJ guy not finish that armbar?? This might be my ignorance (in fact, I'm sure it is, so correct me if I'm wrong), but a basic armbar involves squeezing your knees together to lock the arm and keep the guy from turning out of it. Lutter triangled the arm, which I don't doubt is some advanced armbar, but with that extra space and Franklin's technical knowledge, he was easily able to spin his arm out. Sorry, but it's just rare that you see a guy get his arm fully extended like that and not have it result in a tap/snap.

GSP/Serra- I'm not at all surprised that GSP took Serra down. He took Kos down, he outwrestled Hughes. I was sure GSP was going to try to out-BJJ the BJJ guy just to prove a point, even if GSP had a clear advantage on the feet. On the ground, Serra didn't offer much. I'll give him credit for not just staying there and hanging on for the stand-up, but he really didn't do much else other than squirrel around down there. I really do hope he goes back down to 155 because he could be a pitbull in that division.

As for GSP, it was sort of a lose/lose situation. Either he loses again to Serra and everyone sh!ts on him for it, or, if he doesn't absolutely kill Serra in the first 5 seconds like he was supposed to, people aren't impressed. Tough spot to be in, but a win's a win and now we can get the welterweight division rolling again. With the Ultimate Fighter 6 and Serra's injury, that belt had gone far too long without being defended. Now, it's exciting to think about who's next for GSP.

A couple of odds and ends:

-KenFlo did awesome on commentary.

-The Canadian fans were crazy disrespectful all night. One thing I love about MMA is that it's not about hometown heros. It's just about who is the best fighter. I don't care if Anderson Silva can't speak English and he's fighting Marquardt, a guy from my home state. In the cage, all that matters is who is the better fighter, period. There's always going to be some morons in the crowd that boo the fighter that's from another state, but the chants of "Fvck you, Serra" were way over the line.

-I wish we could've seen more prelims. The submission of the night by Damien Maia on Ed Herman looked sick, I might have to d/l that fight.

TDFG
Rookie

Post by TDFG » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:47 am

I didn't see any of the Prelim fights so I can't comment, but the main-card:-

Danzig/Bocek - Best fight on the main card, I didn't no anything about Bocek before this fight but even though he came away with a defeat and a battered face he gained credit, good comeback by Danzig in the 2nd rnd.

Bisping/McCarthy - Great performance by Bisping, he looks more at home in the 185 division, he did well off his back when he was taken down and finished well with those knees, McCarthy.

Quarry/Starnes - Starnes deserves to be cut after a non-performance like that, he just didn't want to be in there. Quarry, good peformance but hard to really judge when he was chasing his opponent for 15 minutes.

Franklin/Lutter - I thought Lutter had him with that armbar, but Franklin got out of it without too much damage, and from then he dominated, Lutter really needs to work on his conditioning.

GSP/Serra - GSP dominated Serra like he did Hughes, Serra just wasn't able to get into the fight at all, I think it was the right decision to stop the fight, hopefully it's Fitch next for GSP and Serra v Hughes.
Bret Hart: The best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.

PastorofMuppets
Mid Carder

Post by PastorofMuppets » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:39 am

i had to work saturday night
can anyone link a video of the gsp serra fight?

go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Post by go to sleep » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:48 am

^^^

don't worry about the pic at the beginning...vid starts 5 seconds in

http://mixedmartialartvideos.com/2008/0 ... eo-ufc-83/

THE KING
Developmental Talent

Post by THE KING » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:45 pm

Mr Hippo!

I have no interest in playing your point game sorry not my cup of tea. I have no reason to prove anything to the likes of you. I had opinion about GSP and the fight Voiced it and that’s it. U and evo have been real trolls as far I am concerned refusing to allow me my right to voice my thoughts. I have little respect for GSP and his showing this past sat proved I was right. Anyway no need to comment on whats been proven.

I dont appreciate your comment on my MMA knowledge in which I am well versed, a simple point game basically gambling has little to do with knowledge.

And 2nd who are you to say that u speak on behalf of WV posters? R u towney? NO I think not.

I would encourage all members to not respond to Mr. Hippo or Evolution since they would have all of us not voice opinions if they don’t go along with their own.
They are bigots and oppressors.
Edge is Mid-Card for Life.
Jeff Jarrett is better than Edge
Theres a reason Cena gets booed.

Heres a thought....think outside the MODS!

go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Post by go to sleep » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:24 pm

THE KING wrote:Mr Hippo!

I have no interest in playing your point game sorry not my cup of tea. I have no reason to prove anything to the likes of you. I had opinion about GSP and the fight Voiced it and that’s it. U and evo have been real trolls as far I am concerned refusing to allow me my right to voice my thoughts. I have little respect for GSP and his showing this past sat proved I was right. Anyway no need to comment on whats been proven.

I dont appreciate your comment on my MMA knowledge in which I am well versed, a simple point game basically gambling has little to do with knowledge.

And 2nd who are you to say that u speak on behalf of WV posters? R u towney? NO I think not.

I would encourage all members to not respond to Mr. Hippo or Evolution since they would have all of us not voice opinions if they don’t go along with their own.
They are bigots and oppressors.
KING I don't think the problem is your opinions because you are certainly entitled to them, but it's your reasoning that is really lacking with me. You already admitted that you're a Serra fan and that's cool I like him too, but you started this whole thing off by claiming Serra's some machine who has won 5 fights in a row. That is just a bold face untruth. If you're going to make claims about wins and stats and what not just hop onto sherdog and double check the facts before you start making statements that are clearly untrue. People such as myself, hippo, and evo watch enough MMA to know stuff like that isn't true and it makes your reasoning moot.

As far as you being well-versed in MMA, please please show that this is true over just saying you aren't impressed with GSP's performance or that Serra beat GSP badly the first time they fought because that's all you've really shown me thus far. You say GSP's performance is "proven" as being unimpressive. WHY!!!

As an avid MMA fan I was completely impressed by GSP's performance. He took down Serra at will and Serra did nothing despite his supposedly great BJJ and submission skills. Also you can't deny that Serra was gassed in the 2nd round. He took several unanswered jabs to the face and just looked totally defeated. I have, and so have a couple others, made my case for the legitimacy of the finish so I won't go into that again.

I talk MMA on this Forum more than any other subject mainly due to hippo and evo. In fact, I've avoided joining MMA specific forums due to my inability to find a group of people who can talk MMA in a civil manner and offer a lot of great points and views to the discussion. Both guys know a lot about the sport and don't act like total marks for one specific fighter to the point that they can't just admit that hey my guy got beat...sucks but it happened.

TDFG
Rookie

Post by TDFG » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:56 am

Dana White obviously reads my posts here :lol: Starnes has had his contract terminated by UFC.
Bret Hart: The best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.

Evolution
Mid Carder

Post by Evolution » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:35 am

KING your just mad because GSP destroyed both your boys Serra and Hughes.

Anyways I went to the event live, i missed the first two prelims because my friend lost my ticket, luckily we found a scalper and got him one. To the fights..

Stout/Clementi: The crowd went absolute apesh!t for Stout, but I knew Clementi would win based on Stout's ground game isnt the best out there. Anyways the crowd was loud throughout the fight and Clementi won which to me was no suprise.

Maia/Herman: I saw Maia fight back at UFC 77 and this guy had great gound game so I was going for him. I just didnt think he beat Herman like he did. He got a triangle on Herman which Herman rolled over so Maia was on top and started punching down on Herman and he was out cold. Brutal KO/Submission.

Day/Belcher: I knew Day from beating Loiseau on Canada's HCF organization so I knew a little about him but I thought Belcher would stand there and KO him. Anyways Day looked great in there and finished Belcher quite easily.

MacDonald/Doerkson: So two Canadians fighting and pretty much everyone was behind MacDonald. It started with MacDonald almost finishing Doerkson with a guillotine which got reversed into a kimura which he had for the majority of the first round. Second round Doerkson looked gassed and MacDonald TKO him for the win on the ground, intresting after he got up he gave him 2-3 extra shots, I dont know what happened there I hope to see a gif of it soon.

Danzig/Bocek: Everyone gained Bocek respect by the end of the fight. Me and all my other friends thought Danzig would walk through him but the guy showed lots of heart, Danzig gets the win but I wasnt too impressed with his fight.

Bisping/McCarthy: I must of been the only guy booing Bisping, havent liked him since UFC 75 and what he had to say about Hamil after he won. Anyways I'm not a fan of McCarthy either so I wanted a quick fight. Bisping looked good at 185 and hopefully we see him fight Maia or Almeida next.

Quarry/Starnes: Nothing needs to be said.

Franklin/Lutter: Once again I was the only one I knew in my section that was booing Franklin. I know Franklin beats anyone not named Anderson Silva and Lutter gassed and went for lousy takedowns and Rich finally finished him off.

Serra/GSP: Well you guys all I saw it as I did. GSP dominated every aspect of the fight, looked like a f'n monster in there. Serra landed I think one left hook that was it. As for the stoppage I think it could of gone a little bit longer but because Serra did absoloutly nothing I dont have a problem with it.

Other notes:
- Sound system sucked in the Bell Centre
- I met Matt Hamil at a strip club, I was half in the bag when I met him and told him he beat Bisping and I asked him who was gonna win between Sherk/Penn and Silva/Jardine. He couldnt give me a straight answer but his buddies said Silva and Penn so I was happy to hear that.
- Beer is too expensive at the Bell Centre, $10 a beer, and no Molson Canadian but being that I'm able to drink in Quebec I couldnt complain.

PastorofMuppets
Mid Carder

Post by PastorofMuppets » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:29 pm

ohhhh Puhhhleeezee

serra got his as$ handed to him
plain and simple
the finish was clean as a new born baby's pink buttcheeks.

hey, i was pissed when gsp beat hughes but there is no doubt that hughes also was handed his ass, also clean as a whistle

quit suckin your favorite fighters dick
and please consider leaving this forum forever
your legacy here will last about as long as my last lit fart

THE KING wrote:Yeah well I am not impressed at all.

go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Post by go to sleep » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:56 pm

TDFG wrote:Dana White obviously reads my posts here :lol: Starnes has had his contract terminated by UFC.
Starnes is saying that he asked Joe Silva for his release. He also said that his performance was lacking due to a broken foot that he suffered after the first kick he threw and that Quarry's leg kicks furthered messed him up. Starnes has been pretty vocal about how he feels the UFC mistreats their fighters.

Couple things on this: I don't know about you guys, but I would think that a broken foot would result in some kind of limp. I didn't see Starnes favoring the foot the entire fight but I'll have to rewatch it. Starnes made the comment about how the main eventers have all the power and money. Yea...and? Main eventers sell tickets and PPV's, Kalib Starnes does not. He was put towards the top of the card in his home country which would have been a great time to showcase the talent and make a move for that main event/big money status. Instead he acted like a chump.

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:08 pm

^^^

I've heard that Starnes is "protesting" the fact that the UFC will not pay for the medical bills as a result of his fight. And, I kind of have to agree with him on that point. They absolutely should get medical coverage (I feel the same about pro wrestling, but that's a different story). The fighters on the undercard are paid so little. Training camps aren't cheap. And on top of that, if they have to use their fight money to pay medical bills, they won't have much left over. The UFC should step up and cover medical costs for any injuries as result of a fight. Now, I don't know what their specific policy on this is, but that's supposedly what Starnes is upset about.

However, is Starnes really in a position to "protest" anything? Does he really think he holds any power in the situation after last Saturday's fight? And, remember, this is the same guy that, on the Ultimate Fighter 3, turned down a free pass into the semi-finals because he didn't want to get beat on TV. I think Dana White put it best, he needs to find a new profession.

go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Post by go to sleep » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:32 pm

^^

does anyone know the UFC's medical policy? also, could starnes' denial of medical coverage have something to do with his contract being terminated? the UFC may very well cover most medical expenses for their fighters (or have insurance policies do so) and starnes just got denied cuz he was no longer a UFC fighter.

go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Post by go to sleep » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:53 pm

mmajunkie has an article up about Charles McCarthy retiring from fighting...I guess Captain Miserable wasn't a fan of the beating he took from Bisping.

mmajunkie is now reporting that the UFC has cut travis lutter. no surprise there. first he doesn't make weight for his title shot against silva and then he showed some horrible condition in the fight with franklin. talented guy but seems to lack motivation...good riddance.