UFC 82: Pride of a Champion predictions and discussion

Discuss sports leagues, put together fantasy leagues, brag about your team winning a championship, etc.
go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Post by go to sleep » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:50 pm

^^^

not a bad list....

I would switch Silva and Fedor around...at least until Fedor beats someone like Couture.

GSP should be higher up. Only 2 losses and they're to Hughes and Serra. Since the first loss to Hughes, GSP has destroyed him twice, and Serra isn't the bum everyone tries to make him out to be. GSP also holds wins over sherk, penn, trigg, and karo.

rampage is tough...he got worked by wanderlei twice...also by rua. but he turned around and beat the ish out of liddell twice and win the LHW belt. and i think liddell deserves to be right there with him. Liddell may have lost to rampage twice and jardine, but he looked like he was back to form against wanderlei. best doesn't mean pefect.

penn is questionable...he is one of if not the best BJJ guys in the business, but he really needs to prove himself moreso than just winning the LW title against Joe Daddy. If he can beat sherk, and maybe beat GSP like he says he wants to...then yea i'd give him some consideration.

1. Anderson Silva
2. Fedor
3. GSP
4. Rampage
5. Liddell
Honorable Mention: Penn/Gomi
Check Out and Follow My MMA Blog: http://justincohee.blogspot.com/
UFC Predictions Game Results: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... 38pEj7scHA

Evolution
Mid Carder

Post by Evolution » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:05 pm

I dont hate Serra, I think he's a great fighter but the way GSP lost to him is what makes him #5 on my list. Serra has 1 win by KO and it happens to be against GSP. If GSP beats Serra he should move up but not that much.

For Fedor I dont think he has to beat Couture to remain #1. Guys like Cro Cop, Barnett, Kharitonov and Monson are all worthy contenders and possible opponets for him.

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:23 pm

Unless I'm completely missing the logic here, the best P4P is not the same as the best fighter. It's the best fighter considering their weight. BJ Penn is a 155'er, and he's an absolute killer. Sure, there's lots of bigger guys, like Fedor, that would maul Penn. But they also outweigh him by 100+ pounds, and considering how much bigger they are, they're not that much better. That's why I stick by my picks of GSP, Penn, and Anderson Silva. A win over Sherk would solidify Penn's standing in the top 3, and a lose could potentially kick him out. But, big Fedor is definitely not in my top 3 P4P (maybe not even in my top 5).

As for GSP losing to Serra the way he did, he got caught. Not taking anything away from Serra, but there's a reason why he was the underdog, and will be the underdog in their upcoming fight. GSP just got clipped in the back of the head with a crazy haymaker, and it was over from there. All the credit in the world goes to Serra, but does that really make GSP look that terrible, especially looking at his otherwise impressive resume?

Piggins
Rookie

Post by Piggins » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:56 pm

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents into the Fedor for GOAT discussion.

If Fedor were, let's say during the summer, to beat Randy Couture clean as a whistle by knockout or submission, would that significantly change people's view of him as a potential GOAT?

Thanks a lot to Old School Expulsion!

go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Post by go to sleep » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:17 pm

^^^

absolutely...

i'd really like to see fedor v. barnett too. evolution suggested that i think that would be pretty sweet. i think either one of those would prolly have me change my list. i've got fedor a very very close second to anderson silva...one huge win like that would def move fedor to the top for me. then again, if silva goes up to LHW and walks thru someone like rampage or liddell, then the debate starts all over again.

btw...randy is tryin to set up a submission/grappling match angle...i'd love to see him beat the ish out of angle and shut that psycho up.
UFC Predictions Game Results: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... 38pEj7scHA

Evolution
Mid Carder

Post by Evolution » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:10 pm

gutterhippo wrote:Unless I'm completely missing the logic here, the best P4P is not the same as the best fighter. It's the best fighter considering their weight. BJ Penn is a 155'er, and he's an absolute killer. Sure, there's lots of bigger guys, like Fedor, that would maul Penn. But they also outweigh him by 100+ pounds, and considering how much bigger they are, they're not that much better. That's why I stick by my picks of GSP, Penn, and Anderson Silva. A win over Sherk would solidify Penn's standing in the top 3, and a lose could potentially kick him out. But, big Fedor is definitely not in my top 3 P4P (maybe not even in my top 5).
Well I know P4P is the best fighter period. Look at boxing, PBF is without a doubt the best boxer on the planet. Fedor will remain #1 P4P until he loses. Penn is probably the most gifted MMA fighter with his skills but has made some wrong choices (leaving UFC for K-1). Silva is right up there with Fedor but I'm still gonna give the edge to Fedor right now..

Fedor is fighting soon, rumored to be against Barnett, hopefully its true so he can solidify his rank as #1.

go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Post by go to sleep » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:07 pm

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=11698

apparently fedor is a free agent again. let the bidding war begin. article talks about different options fedor has. deals with cuban and hdnet, elite xc, and the ufc are all discussed.

dana says he doesn't think fedor is the best by far but still wants to sign him. interesting dana is talking like that when it was his attitude that turned away fedor the last time they talked. calling fedor's management "crazy russians" and now saying the guy is a farce is not the way to lure a guy to your company.

Evolution
Mid Carder

Post by Evolution » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:34 pm

I really hope Fedor doesnt end up with HDNET Fight or EliteXC. Because then I would agree with you guys saying he fights weak competition. Like who is he gonna fight? Kimbo? Fedor even though will more then likely not sign with UFC should go to Dreams or WVR.

go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Post by go to sleep » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:19 pm

i'd like to at least see him do a limited deal with ufc....just like a one year 3 fight gig. that way he can come in, do his thing, and if it doesn't work out he can jump to dreams or w/e promotion(s) he wants to work for.

have him fight randy, big tim, and maaaaybe lesnar (just for the hype)

hey it might up working out really well. then he can extend the contract, pick who he wants to fight and solidify the legacy.

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:08 am

damn, sorry I let this slip my mind for so long. The results are in (finally)...

Congrats to TDFG for getting the high score for this PPV (that's 2 in a row), and to El Rockero for somehow clinging onto that top spot like his life depended on it. Only a matter of time, Rockero. Only a matter of time...

Thanks to all who played, and sorry again for it taking so long to get the results up.

El Rockero

Post by El Rockero » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:05 pm

gutterhippo wrote:damn, sorry I let this slip my mind for so long. The results are in (finally)...

Congrats to TDFG for getting the high score for this PPV (that's 2 in a row), and to El Rockero for somehow clinging onto that top spot like his life depended on it. Only a matter of time, Rockero. Only a matter of time...
Thanks to all who played, and sorry again for it taking so long to get the results up.
I don't know much about MMA. It might just be beginner's luck...but I have to say my strategy to research (wiki) each fighter is doing pretty well.

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:45 pm

El Rockero wrote:I don't know much about MMA. It might just be beginner's luck...but I have to say my strategy to research (wiki) each fighter is doing pretty well.

If anyone cares, my strategy has been to first pick which fighter I think is going to win just based on intuition. Then I hit up Sherdog.com's Fight Finder feature and see how my pick usually wins and in what round, and how the other guy usually loses and in what round. Another (cheaper) way to pick the fighters in the first place is to do it based on the bet lines. But with so many upsets in MMA, it's not necessarily the safest bet.

TDFG
Rookie

Post by TDFG » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:53 am

I think I've learned to go with my head than pick my own favourites for certain fights.

Quick learner that I am. :lol:
Bret Hart: The best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.