UFC 80 Rapid Fire predictions and discussion

Discuss sports leagues, put together fantasy leagues, brag about your team winning a championship, etc.
go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Post by go to sleep » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:21 pm

im def lookin forward to the fights on wed

solid card....im lookin forward to seeing swick fight at the new weight

diaz fights (either one) are usually pretty exciting too

ps....check out the ufc site....swick looks crazy different since the weight change
Check Out and Follow My MMA Blog: http://justincohee.blogspot.com/
UFC Predictions Game Results: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... 38pEj7scHA

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:06 am

Anyone catch the fights? I thought it was a pretty good night of fights.

Swick/Burkman- What the hell was the crowd booing for?! Was it really that terrible?? I thought it was a pretty good fight. Like gts said, Swick looks really odd at 170. He was huge at 185, but pretty damn scrawny at 170. The fight had some good strikes and fun stuff, but there was something off about the takedown attempts. Either Swick has crazy good takedown defense, or (what I think happened) Burkman just didn't commit enough. Now, I'm not going to claim I know anything about wrestling, but I have been training in judo for the past year and a half, and in that short time I've learned that follow-through is everything in takedowns. Watch how Koscheck just mows through guys, he doesn't stop driving forward until he gets the takedown. It seemed like Burkman was so close to a double-leg multiple times, but then he'd just pause and let Swick slowly get his underhooks in. This led to those tie-ups that the crowd wasn't too pleased with. Again, I'm not saying I know anything about wrestling, but I suspect that Burkman was getting into those tie-ups because he wanted one of his signature pick-you-up-and-slam-you-down takedowns, and Swick was just too good for that.

McFredries/Cote- It's obvious that Cote has some major holes in his game, but I love seeing him against other strikers. Here's hoping they give us a few more of these types of match-ups for Cote. Fun, fun stuff.

Tavares/Omigawa- The first round was fun, but beyond that it wasn't anything too remarkable. Not the suckfest that Rogan and Goldberg made it out to be, but I think everyone expected a bit more.

Diaz/Robinson- alright, I'll admit it, Nate Diaz is good. I guess I'm over him getting that cheap win in the TUF5 finals. Diaz seems like he's for real. Of course, they'll probably feed him lower-level fighters for a while and ride out his popularity before really testing him (don't want what happened to Kendall Grove to happen to him), but this kid deserves credit for his crisp BJJ game. Btw, I wish they'd bring Nick Diaz back. Imagine Nick Diaz as a TUF coach...

Pellegrino/Crane- fun, back and forth fight, glad it made it to the air.

go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Post by go to sleep » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:55 am

i watched the fights and enjoyed them for the most part

i really enjoyed the cote fight. after a rough start in the ufc, cote is on a bit of a role. like hippo said he def has some flaws but d*** he's entertaining.

diaz is legit. nuff said

alberto crane kicked pellegrino's teeth thru his lip and still lost the fight. pellegrino is a tough dude. fun fun fight to watch.

i really expected tavares to mow through omigawa after the BJJ clinic he gave him in the first. again, like hippo said, it wasn't absolute crap like it was made to be but omigawa didn't look like he had any ida of what he wanted to do. his strikes lacked enthusiasm and for a judo guy he just kinda layed down when tavares shot on him. really think tavares should've blown thru him.

swick/burkman was what is was. i was actually pretty shocked that we didn't more striking then we dd. i'm gonna disagree with hippo on burkman's lack of takedowns. i just think swick's defense was that good. solid stuff. swick just needs to not cut as much next time and he'll be back to form i imagaine.

good for corey hill...too bad we didn't get to see it
Check Out and Follow My MMA Blog: http://justincohee.blogspot.com/
UFC Predictions Game Results: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... 38pEj7scHA