ProElite coming to CBS...

Discuss sports leagues, put together fantasy leagues, brag about your team winning a championship, etc.
Phil C of WV
Title Contender

ProElite coming to CBS...

Post by Phil C of WV » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:42 am

http://www.reuters.com/article/sportsNe ... 22&sp=true

No editing of the fights for content, they will air the way they air on Showtime now.

There will be female fighters, too...such as WV favorite Gina Carano (Crush on American Gladiators).

What do you guys think?
The Poster Formerly Known As "CollegeDropout"

Author of "On Second Thought..." on Wrestleview.com

"Oh, you're broke? *gun shots*...now ya dead broke" - Big L

go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Post by go to sleep » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:45 pm

I'm pretty excited about this. Nice to see some competition in the MMA world getting some love from a major major channel.

Part of me is concerned, though. While I will def tune in, I wonder how many people who watch CBS will actually watch it.

Note to Elite XC: Put Kimbo on TV as soon as POSSIBLE!

Kimbo=Ratings

(oh yea Bud Light is now the main sponsor of the UFC-big news for them as well)
Check Out and Follow My MMA Blog: http://justincohee.blogspot.com/
UFC Predictions Game Results: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... 38pEj7scHA

Ironclaw
Mid Carder

Post by Ironclaw » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:59 pm

go to sleep wrote:I'm pretty excited about this. Nice to see some competition in the MMA world getting some love from a major major channel.

Part of me is concerned, though. While I will def tune in, I wonder how many people who watch CBS will actually watch it.

Kimbo=Ratings

I like the idea but I'm not sure how long it can stay a float on CBS

Phil C of WV
Title Contender

Post by Phil C of WV » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:18 pm

Ironclaw wrote:
go to sleep wrote:I'm pretty excited about this. Nice to see some competition in the MMA world getting some love from a major major channel.

Kimbo=Ratings

I like the idea but I'm not sure how long it can stay a float on CBS
Well, they're talking about only putting 4 shows a year on CBS for now...which would work fine to start out. Provide more exposure for the Showtime cards.
The Poster Formerly Known As "CollegeDropout"

Author of "On Second Thought..." on Wrestleview.com

"Oh, you're broke? *gun shots*...now ya dead broke" - Big L

Ironclaw
Mid Carder

Re: ProElite coming to CBS...

Post by Ironclaw » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:51 am

TVS wrote:
CollegeDropout wrote:There will be female fighters, too...such as WV favorite Gina Carano (Crush on American Gladiators).
Yeah, baby - more Gina Carano on my screen is always a positive!
Oh Yeah! TVS I like you man my kind of guy! More Gina Carano.........

go to sleep
Developmental Talent

Post by go to sleep » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:44 pm

well according to mmajunkie, the elite xc fights drew a 2.7 rating on cbs. not bad considering it was the first mma show to ever be on network tv. another busy night at the bar so i only got to watch the kimbo fight. i did catch the end of smith/lawler...which sucked. hopefully we'll get to see those guys go at it again soon. word is that their rematch will headline the next card.

as for the kimbo fight...wow weird stoppage. thompson was def gettin knocked around but he seemed like he was ok to continue for the time being. no idea why he didn't have that ear drained before the fight. also thought it looked like kimbo tapped when thompson had him in the guillotine but it could've just been me. as for the rest of the fight...kimbo didn't really show me much and it looked like he gassed pretty quick. his ground game doesn't look so bad though thanks to his strength but i still think he'd be in a bit of trouble against a wrestler/bjj expert.
Check Out and Follow My MMA Blog: http://justincohee.blogspot.com/
UFC Predictions Game Results: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... 38pEj7scHA

Evolution
Mid Carder

Post by Evolution » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:28 pm

Well I catched the later show of EliteXC on the Fight Network. Anyways the fights were entertaining with good commentating.

Alot of MMA sites have been bashing EliteXC but there just a bunch of noobs and haters of Kimbo Slice. Kimbo is not Fedor and he knows that, he's just entertaining to watch fight.

BTW I wanna see a rematch between Lawler and Smith.

El Rockero

Post by El Rockero » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:51 pm

go to sleep wrote: another busy night at the bar so i only got to watch the kimbo fight. i did catch the end of smith/lawler...which sucked. hopefully we'll get to see those guys go at it again soon. word is that their rematch will headline the next card.
I came into it late too but I did catch up from the Carano match until the end of the card. I was impressed by how badass the women were. Kaitlin Young was in pretty bad shape in the end but a very gutsy performance by both women. I know that Gina was a bit gassed in the end but I attribute that her only having 3 weeks to train for this fight.

Smith/Lawler was just an all out brawl and very entertaining to say the least but I was very disappointed by the decision to stop the fight.
go to sleep wrote:as for the kimbo fight...wow weird stoppage. thompson was def gettin knocked around but he seemed like he was ok to continue for the time being. no idea why he didn't have that ear drained before the fight. also thought it looked like kimbo tapped when thompson had him in the guillotine but it could've just been me. as for the rest of the fight...kimbo didn't really show me much and it looked like he gassed pretty quick. his ground game doesn't look so bad though thanks to his strength but i still think he'd be in a bit of trouble against a wrestler/bjj expert.
I liked this fight and although some of Kimbo's weaknesses were exposed I was impressed he was able to pull it out in the end. We all just need to remember that he just fought his 4th pro fight and is a bit of a project. He still needs to polish his techniques, as was evidenced by the failure to wrap his legs on the multiple guillotines he had locked on. Kimbo didn't tap, he was giving the thumbs up sign to the ref say he was ok. He just needs to be careful making those kinds of hand gestures in a match. I thought the stoppage was fair, Kimbo left that ear a mangled mess. Once it started to bleed out, it was only a matter of time the fight would be stopped by either the ref or the ring physician.

Gus Johnson on commentary freakin' kicks arse and it makes me want to hire him to do commentary for a day. The most mundane aspects of my life would seem like the greatest thing in the history of history.

Overall it was a pretty fun card on free tv and I look forward to seeing more of EliteXc.

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:00 am

El Rockero wrote:I thought the stoppage was fair, Kimbo left that ear a mangled mess. Once it started to bleed out, it was only a matter of time the fight would be stopped by either the ref or the ring physician.
How would a popped cauliflower ear constitute a serious enough injury to stop a fight? I personally think that stoppage was sketchy as hell. And, on a side note, like gts, I'm wondering why Thompson didn't have that thing drained.

When Kimbo/Thompson went to the ground, that had to be one of the sloppiest ground games I've ever seen, by both fighters. They looked like two white belts out there. Kimbo had almost no sprawl or takedown defense, and once on the ground, he would sometimes just use his strength to "sweep" Thompson. That would never fly with anyone that has any semblance of a ground game. And Thompson could get him down, but then he was completely lost. He had Kimbo pinned up against the cage and more or less beat since Kimbo didn't know what to do, but because he couldn't utilize his position (or because he was tired), he couldn't get any powerful shots off.

Kimbo deserves credit for clearly being gassed, and still having very heavy hands. But I think the whole aura behind Kimbo has been more or less dissolved by this point. And I'm not terribly interested in the next can that they undoubtedly have lined up at this point.

El Rockero

Post by El Rockero » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:08 am

gutterhippo wrote:
El Rockero wrote:I thought the stoppage was fair, Kimbo left that ear a mangled mess. Once it started to bleed out, it was only a matter of time the fight would be stopped by either the ref or the ring physician.
How would a popped cauliflower ear constitute a serious enough injury to stop a fight? I personally think that stoppage was sketchy as hell.

Could Thompson have continued? Very likely. Did it look worse than it was? Probably.

What I meant was that the ref may have freaked out after the combination of the ear being popped along with a BRUTAL uppercut, jab, and right hook before the stoppage...and that may have influenced the ref's decision to stop the fight.

PuckaOne
Developmental Talent

Post by PuckaOne » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:41 am

Stoppage seemed early to me, especially after kimbo taking many more unanswered shots earlier in the fight.

The crowd seemed to be as unimpressed as many at home.
"Damn! I can't spell what I wanna say!" Just like Rampage