UFC 67: All or Nothing Thread

Discuss sports leagues, put together fantasy leagues, brag about your team winning a championship, etc.
Icepick
Mid Carder

Post by Icepick » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:37 pm

the more i think about it, the more I think this fight is vital to Mirko's career, what if he looses to the relativley unknown sanchez, who outweighs him by 22 pounds or so, sanchez has an undefeated record, not a long one but still

if crocop loses, his big build up will be wasted, and he can't merley return to pride either

Evolution
Mid Carder

Post by Evolution » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:53 pm

As much as I like Couture I dont think he can win against Sylvia. Couture had trouble with Josh Barnett and Ricco Rodriguez back in his prime and Sylvia keeps improving in every fight. Couture doesnt really have any submissions and his stand up isnt as good as Big Tim's. I see Sylvia by TKO in around the 3rd but I do see Couture really pushing the pace.

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:27 am

Seeing as how the next Ultimate Fight Night Live is a week away, I thought I'd post the card here to open up discussion.

Rashad Evans vs. Sean Salmon
Jake O'Brien vs. Heath Herring
Hermes Franca vs. Spencer Fisher

Prelim fights:
Dean Lister vs. Nate Marquardt
Chad Reiner vs. Josh Burkman
Ed Herman vs. Chris Price
Clay Guida vs. Din Thomas
Ross Pointon vs. Rich Clementi

This has to go down as the most lackluster card of all of the UFN's. Rashad Evans is fighting a guy making his debut in the UFC in the main event?! Like him or hate him, how could you get pumped for this fight? The guy's undefeated, at least give him a real test. Sean Salmon has fought a who's who list of absolute nobodies. On top of that, the undercard is completely pitiful. Really, the only fights that I am remotely interested in are Lister/Marquardt and Pointon/Clementi, and they might not even air those.

What a great way to build momentum going into the lackluster UFC 67 card.

Evolution
Mid Carder

Post by Evolution » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:06 pm

I agree with you gutterhippo. The last few UFN's have been great, and this one doesnt really have anything big on it. The only fight im really into is Lister/Marquardt. And if that doesnt air I dont see why I should watch it. Both fighters are undefeated in the UFC and rumor has it that the winner of the bout gets the next shot at Anderson Silva, but I think it would be after Franklin gets his rematch. And it should be a great fight too.

Xaintrix

Post by Xaintrix » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:16 pm

Cro Cop by death in Round 1.

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:30 am

Well I gotta admit, Ultimate Fight Night Live delivered!!

Hermes Franca vs. Spencer Fisher was a great fight. I don't think I've ever seen a bad Spencer Fisher fight. I want to see more of Franca.

Heath Herring vs. Jake O'Brien- I love seeing the underdog win! Seeing one guy come in with so much overconfidence get completely owned is always so satisfying. But, it was kind of disappointing to see O'Brien get Herring's back multiple times yet not ever able to sink in the choke. I can't believe Herring accused O'Brien of just laying and praying! That fight was on the ground because he had no takedown defense and he quit trying to standup from the ground.

Ed Herman vs. Chris Price- we all knew who would win, but what a sick submission!

Rashad Evans vs. Sean Salmon- This fight will put Evans on the map. Not because of how he fought for the majority of the fight (he was actually probably losing on points to Salmon), but because of that highlight reel high kick out of nowhere. The only other time I've seen a knockout that clean was Rich Franklin/Nate Quarry. Absolutely sick. Also, no showboating by Rashad, which is a definite plus.

blessed1stylez
Developmental Talent

Post by blessed1stylez » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:55 am

evans' kick was friggin sweet

AnthrAxNSB
Developmental Talent

Post by AnthrAxNSB » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:31 pm

I thought Rashad lost the first round and was winning the second round before that kick. It was quite a devastating kick. I jumped from my chair and turned away, actually.

I was very disappointed with the Herring/O'Brien fight. Herring looked terrible in that he couldn't defend the take down (I think he sprawled once), but O'Brien looked terrible in that for over half the time he had position on top (guard, half guard, side control, full mount, back) he didn't even attempt to do anything (never mind the fact that he didn't do much when he did make an effort, which is boring, but not objectionable). I do agree that Herring let it happen, but I though John should have stood them up several times during that fight. That's not what MMA is about.
"kill yourself, why wait" - necro

Xaintrix

Post by Xaintrix » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:03 pm

While Rashad was "fed" an opponent, I think he got the best possible outcome from a match like this. I think he partially lost round 1 because he didn't want to wrestle and actually put on a show. He won decisively, he didn't get himself hurt badly, and showcased skills people claim he didn't have. He showed he'd actually learn and train up for a match.

I'm not a huge Rashad fan, but he did show me something through his kicks he snapped.

Although I do think that trying to sell himself in the match was a dangerous risk to take and I'm just glad he capitalized on the opportunities presented to him. Still that's the world of fighting.

towney007
Site Admin

Post by towney007 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:04 pm

Gimmie a break.

In UFC there is the upper echilon then everyone else. Rashaad hasn't fought anyone worth giving a crap about yet. They feed him opponent after opponent. He's slimmed down and now they've got a guy with a look and nice attitude they can market. I don't understand why all three commentators didn't just all show us a video clip of them slobbering on his knob. The marketing machine behind this guy right now is boarderline retarded.

I've yet to be impressed with this kid. He's improving. Great. So are nine million other fighters. I want to see him fight someone worth something. Give him Tito, Lidell, someone of that calibur so I can watch his show-boating ass tap like gregory heinz on speed.

Sorry for the rant, but the ball gurgling on Fight Night tonight was way way way way too much for me to handle.

Evolution
Mid Carder

Post by Evolution » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:56 pm

towney007 wrote:I've yet to be impressed with this kid. He's improving. Great. So are nine million other fighters. I want to see him fight someone worth something. Give him Tito, Lidell, someone of that calibur so I can watch his show-boating . tap like gregory heinz on speed.
Watch his fight with Brad Imes to win the Ultimate Fighter and look at him now. His stand up has greatly improved and rumor has it that UFC 70 in England will have Tito vs Rashad. And I wouldnt be too suprised if Rashad wins.

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:20 pm

[/quote]He's slimmed down and now they've got a guy with a look and nice attitude they can market. I don't understand why all three commentators didn't just all show us a video clip of them slobbering on his knob. The marketing machine behind this guy right now is boarderline retarded.[quote]

Come on, do you really believe that the UFC is shoving this guy down our throats? A few months ago, they didn't give a crap about him. After his snoozefests with Bonnar and Hoger, he was pushed down the card, booked into an insignificant fight with Jason Lambert. Result: Knockout! He's still got a big-money contract from TUF2, why not give him another chance? Obviously he didn't skyrocket to the top of the card to face top 5 figthers. Why not let him face another B-level fighter to see how much he really has improved his game? Result: a highlight reel knockout!

More importantly, he has won the respect of (most of) the fans. He doesn't do the sh!t that made him so obnoxious before, like the ridiculous bobbing, weaving, and general showboating. And now he's finishing fights.

So, I'd say it's not that he's being shoved down our throats, but he is slowly but surely proving himself and slowly but surely winning the respect of fans.

Evolution
Mid Carder

Post by Evolution » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:38 pm

Yeah I believe if Rashad fought a big name fighter at 205 he would do really good. He's most likely going to fight Tito and I think he has a great chance at winning the bout. Remember UFC 59? Forrest Griffin beat Tito Ortiz, Ortiz shouldnt of won the decision. And Rashad is a much better fighter than Griffin. And like gutterhippo said Rashad has earned alot of peoples respect and fought his way to the top, unlike guys like Bonnar and Griffin who were pushed too fast to the top and look where they are now.

Jrag
Mid Carder

Post by Jrag » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:56 pm

Lutter didn't make weight. Haha.

Its now a non title fight.

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:43 pm

The only thing that made Silva/Lutter even a little bit interesting has now been taken away. And, it was one-sided enough before, but now with Lutter not making weight, you gotta wonder why. Lutter might already be hurting. I'll be surprised to see Anderson Silva not finish this one in under 2 minutes.

This PPV buyrate will be abysmal.

Evolution
Mid Carder

Post by Evolution » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:24 am

Well I just got back from my buddies house watching it and I have to say with a card that lacked a high calibur match-up this event was really good.

Anderson Silva vs Travis Lutter was probably the fight of the night. Although there was a pre-lim fight that probably was better overall this fight really had the suspense. Silva came out landing punches and eventually Lutter took him down and at one point was on full mount landing bombs and I think everyone in the building was thinking about a huge upset in the making. Anyways in Round 2 Silva got in this triangle and just was feeding Lutter elbows for about a minute when he decided to tap out. Silva is defiantly the #1 middleweight in the world, and Lutter showed alot of heart considering no one thought he would win.

Mirko Cro Cop vs Eddie Sanchez was such a one sided fight with Cro Cop just making the kid look so inexperienced. Sanchez showed he can take a punch but after too many the ref stopped the fight.

Rampage vs Eastman was a pretty entertaining fight with Rampage KO'ing Eastman in second round.

Overall this was a really good card with some great fights and showed why UFC PPV's are much more worth the forty bucks than WWE ppv's.

Princess Erica
Title Contender

Post by Princess Erica » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:30 am

gutterhippo wrote:The only thing that made Silva/Lutter even a little bit interesting has now been taken away. And, it was one-sided enough before, but now with Lutter not making weight, you gotta wonder why. Lutter might already be hurting. I'll be surprised to see Anderson Silva not finish this one in under 2 minutes.

This PPV buyrate will be abysmal.
I'll have your new sig for ya tomorrow. MWAHAHAHA
CGH: Rest in peace, eh? <3

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:46 am

... d@mn, well, so long Angle sig, you served me well these past few years..

As for UFC 67, I'll post my complete thoughts on the show later, but I will post this:

I'm not sure if they mentioned this after the fight during the actual PPV, as I just watched a d/l'ed version of just the fight itself, but Anderson Silva seemed to have won with an illegal move! Watch the fight again, just before Lutter taps, Silva is throwing SPIKE ELBOWS! Those are illegal in the UFC. You see the ref bending over to get a better look, then Lutter taps, and the ref stops the fight. I really thought the ref stopped it because of the illegal move, and he was going to give Lutter a chance to recover. After rewinding and seeing Lutter tap Silva's back, the thought also crossed my mind that Lutter just tapped so he could contest the illegal move and get a DQ win.

So, for those that watched the actual event, did they address the illegal move? Watch it again, he's clearly throwing spike elbows in the seconds before the tap. I count 3-4 illegal elbow spikes. And not only that, but they're on an illegal part of the body, on the top of Lutter's head (Mike Goldberg sees this and says, "You gotta watch the top of the head.."). When the ref steps in, you even hear Mike Goldberg and Joe Rogan in the background wondering if it really was over or if the ref was stepping in for another reason.

Princess Erica
Title Contender

Post by Princess Erica » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:23 am

Randy Couture clarified that because of the directionality of the swing on the elbows, it wasn't illegal. Goldberg and Rogan both called Silva on it when the fight ended, but Couture clarified the rules. After all, he would know!
CGH: Rest in peace, eh? <3

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:30 pm

Princess Erica wrote:Randy Couture clarified that because of the directionality of the swing on the elbows, it wasn't illegal. Goldberg and Rogan both called Silva on it when the fight ended, but Couture clarified the rules. After all, he would know!
Can anyone clarify this a bit more? The directionality of the elbows looked to be clearly up and down, and on the top of Lutter's head.

Also, what do people think about the Huerta/Halverson fight? Illegal knee, or Halverson just going for a cheap DQ win?