UFC 68: The Uprising Thread

Discuss sports leagues, put together fantasy leagues, brag about your team winning a championship, etc.
Evolution
Mid Carder

UFC 68: The Uprising Thread

Post by Evolution » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:58 pm

I was waiting to make this thread when the card was completed so here it is..

Main Card:
- Tim Sylvia vs. Randy Couture
- Chris Lytle Vs. Matt Hughes
- Drew McFedries Vs. Martin Kampmann
- Rich Franklin Vs. Jason MacDonald
- Jason Lambert Vs. Renato Sobral

Prelim Fights:
- Rex Holman Vs. Matt Hamill
- Jon Fitch Vs. Luigi Fioravanti
- Gleison Tibau Vs. Jason Dent
- Jason Gilliam Vs. Jamie Varner

So ya this card has alot of big names. Three former champions are fighting(Hughes, Franklin, Couture). And of course the return of Babalu. Should be a good card. I'm intrested in seeing how Lytle and MacDonald fair against Hughes and Franklin. Both arent chumps, MacDonald has beaten 2 good fighters and Lytle should of won the decision against Serra.

And of course how could I forget Sylvia and Couture. Should be an intresting fight but as much as I want to see Couture win I think Sylvia is just too big and he's really improving as a fighter so I look for TKO in the 3rd round.

So share your thoughts about the next UFC..

Xaintrix

Post by Xaintrix » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:41 pm

I'm so buying this one. A good chunk of the card is worth watching. Interested to see if Hamil has improved any. What I like about some of the people I like is that more often than not as much as I'd like to see them succeed - I'm also interested in seeing their head kicked off. God I love this sport.

I'm debating whether to make picks because I'm notoriously wrong whenever I do it. It's nigh on impeccable how badly I choose at times.

Just waiting to see thread regarding Fantasy MMA haha...

Evolution
Mid Carder

Post by Evolution » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:48 pm

Well Xaintrix if your looking to bet on UFC 68 I would take the safe bets, I mean UFC 67 had no upsets and there were some one sided fights. I'd wait for the betting line and if you find Couture favoured over Sylvia take that bet because theres no way Couture can beat him, he has had trouble with bigger heavyweights in his career i.e Barnett and Rodriguez.

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:07 pm

Sylvia/Couture will be interesting for the pre-fight interviews. Couture has already taken some shots at Tim for sleeping through his fights. Hopefully he really gets in Tim's head and we see a more aggressive fight this time. Either way, I'm picking Sylvia, just because I can't wait to see Cro Cop kick his head off, and it'll be even sweeter with the title on the line.

If Jason MacDonald can beat Rich Franklin, he's gotta be close to a title shot. And it could happen, too. He put away Leben with ease, and Leben was seen as a huge threat when Franklin had the belt. The only thing is, wasn't Mike Swick up for a title shot as well? I hear his next fight will be against Yushin Okami. Who knows what's going on with that division. The only thing that's for sure is that they're hoping to build Franklin back up to get a chance to take back the title. Same with Hughes.

btw, don't forget to watch Warrior Nation tonight on MSNBC, feat. the Liddell/Ortiz feud.

EdGe HeAd 2K6
Developmental Talent

Post by EdGe HeAd 2K6 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:53 am

IMO this isnt really the best card ive seen... i mean yeah theres big names in Hughes, Franklin, Sylvia and Coutoure but still it doesnt appeal to me. Sylvia will destroy Captain America as much as it pains me to say it. If AA cant beat Sylvia standing and The Snowman cant beat Tim on the ground then i cant see Randy beating Tim unless its by a 5 round boring arse judges decision fight.

Hughes vs Lytle... this one sounds really bad to me another boring fight but Hughes will win by whatever he wants really.

Franklin vs MacDonald... im looking forward to this one actually but still Jason does seem overhyped i mean he beat Ed Herman and Chris Leben... not exactly two great fighters. Rich is just coming back from a big loss to The Spider but imo it was his fight againt The Crow which really beat Franklin... the injurys he sustained in that fight all added up to the loss againt Anderson... not taking away any crediy from Silva there though he owned Rich muay thai clinch style. This could be a dangerous fight for Rich if he gets caught with a sloppy submission but i'll go for Frankling 2nd round KO on the feet.. MacDonalds standup isnt crisp enough for Rich.

As for Babalu vs Lambert well i hate both these guys Babalu fought cans basically to get that 10 fight win streak and is nowhere near main event status as it showed against The Iceman.. Lambert well i havent seen much of this guy but i saw him get schooled by Rashad so this shouldnt be anything difficult for Renato... my prediction: sh*t fight.

As for the undercard fights theres one that im looking forward to and thats Drew McFedries vs The Hitman this one should be a good standup war so far what ive seen from Martin has been could and his striking should be too good for the miletich fighter McFedries.
Owen Hart: The best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be.

THE KING
Developmental Talent

Post by THE KING » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:10 pm

I see Randy winning the HW title.
silva regardless of size just doesnt seem to be a highly skilled MMA fighter at least not at the level of Capt America. it will be a uphill battle but Randy can win.

I hate the fact that hughes is fighting lytle. uh who is this lytle guy that he deserves a fight with hughes?. I call BS and the truth is that Hughes is scared of Diego.

Franklin is a poster boy for the UFC And i have no problem with it at all. build him up and put him aginst silva and lets see if silva is the champ we think he is.
Edge is Mid-Card for Life.
Jeff Jarrett is better than Edge
Theres a reason Cena gets booed.

Heres a thought....think outside the MODS!

Evolution
Mid Carder

Post by Evolution » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:35 pm

EdGe HeAd 2K6 wrote:Babalu fought cans basically to get that 10 fight win streak
I never knew Shogun Rua and Jeremy Horn were considered cans. That was probably the dumbest things ive ever heard on this forum, if you dont know who Shogun Rua is you dont know anything about MMA. Best 205 lbs fighter in the world, yes he is better than your boy Chuck.

Piggins
Rookie

Post by Piggins » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:04 pm

My Picks

- Tim Sylvia vs. Randy Couture

Randy Couture, 4th round, TKO

- Chris Lytle Vs. Matt Hughes

Chris Lytle, 2nd round, TKO

- Drew McFedries Vs. Martin Kampmann

Martin Kampmann, Unanimous Decision

- Rich Franklin Vs. Jason MacDonald

Rich Franklin, 1st round, TKO

- Jason Lambert Vs. Renato Sobral

Babalu, 2nd round, submission

Thanks a lot to Old School Expulsion!

TentaReignsSupreme
Hall Of Famer

Post by TentaReignsSupreme » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:32 am

COUTURE DID IT! F'N-A! I DONT FREAKING BELIEVE IT ! SO DRUNK! WOOHA!

Princess Erica
Title Contender

Post by Princess Erica » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:22 am

Yeah, that was pretty insane...

I frickin love it. Good for you, Randy. You earned that.
CGH: Rest in peace, eh? <3

Flair_Pinned_Me
Mid Carder

Post by Flair_Pinned_Me » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:56 am

Man, what a story.

Just awesome.

Evolution
Mid Carder

Post by Evolution » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:10 am

Couture looked unbeatable last night. I knew right when he dropped Sylvia in the 1st round with his first punch Sylvia was in trouble. Couture is a 5 time champ, thats insane. I would post my thoughts about the entire show but I dont remember much from last night.

Piggins
Rookie

Post by Piggins » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:10 pm

For anyone who saw the show, what did Tim Sylvia say in his post-match interview about his injury? I've read that he was making excuses about some kind of hurt, and I was just hoping for some clarification on that. Thanks in advance.

Thanks a lot to Old School Expulsion!

Flair_Pinned_Me
Mid Carder

Post by Flair_Pinned_Me » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:14 pm

Piggins wrote:For anyone who saw the show, what did Tim Sylvia say in his post-match interview about his injury? I've read that he was making excuses about some kind of hurt, and I was just hoping for some clarification on that. Thanks in advance.
He said Randy outworked him; and that he Randy basically kept him guessing the whole time. Then he said he came in with an injury; didn't think it would affect him, but it obviously did. Then there were loud boos. And he said he wasn't trying to take anything away from Randy, that Randy was simply the better man.

He did go in with a back injury, though.

Evolution
Mid Carder

Post by Evolution » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:18 pm

Sylvia may have gone into the fight with a back injury but it must of been a minor injury because it was never mentioned during the fight I believe? Not 100% sure of that but i dont remember hearing Rogan or Goldberg mentioning it. Plus he was getting owned in the standup department and I wouldnt blame your back for it.

Now because of his lackluster fight will never see Fedor vs Sylvia... thank god.

Jrag
Mid Carder

Post by Jrag » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:11 pm

Couture vs Cro Cop just became one of the biggest money matches in UFC history.

I will never doubt Couture again. The man is a ninja.

Flair_Pinned_Me
Mid Carder

Post by Flair_Pinned_Me » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:12 am

Evolution wrote:Sylvia may have gone into the fight with a back injury but it must of been a minor injury because it was never mentioned during the fight I believe? Not 100% sure of that but i dont remember hearing Rogan or Goldberg mentioning it. Plus he was getting owned in the standup department and I wouldnt blame your back for it.

Now because of his lackluster fight will never see Fedor vs Sylvia... thank god.
Matt Hughes in the post-fight press conference said he hurt himself last week and was considering pulling out of the fight. Strange that Sylvia or the commentatoes never mentioned it though.

Evolution
Mid Carder

Post by Evolution » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:39 am

I liked the post press conference after. The next Ohio show will be great, Silva vs Franklin II (depends on UFC 72 if Silva can beat Marquart) and Matt Hamil wants Michael Bisping which would be a great fight but I'd put my money on Bisping because of his striking ability.

PastorofMuppets
Mid Carder

Post by PastorofMuppets » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:00 am

i thought that was an incredible PPV
i got a bit trashed and loved every fricken minute of it
go randy

dude is a bad Motherfvcker

kendrick
Developmental Talent

Post by kendrick » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:16 pm

Awesome Show. Timmy losing the belt is the best thing ever to happen to the Ufc.