The Cricket discussion thread

Discuss sports leagues, put together fantasy leagues, brag about your team winning a championship, etc.
Slayer23
VIP Member

The Cricket discussion thread

Post by Slayer23 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:14 am

So there has been a bit of discussion about Cricket in other threads , so why not dedicate a thread about it. Now we have Aussies (like myself), Kiwi's, British and also Irish (an up and coming Cricketing nation) and a Canadian who is half-considering checking out a game or two; so there should be no shortage of discussion.

Just a couple current happenings to start things of:
-The Sydney Sixers win the BBL in yet another close game against the Perth Scorchers, with both teams heading to the champions league how will they fare?
-Australia records 4-0 series whitewash on India. We all know India is becoming a weaker test team as time goes on, but what does this mean for the Australia team?
-New Zealand flog Zimbabwe in one off test match. Now i actually saw a few bits and pieces of this match, and i was pretty impressed by New Zealand. I know they may not have the best batting lineup in the world (although it is improving), but their bowling is starting to get really good, especially my boy Chris Martin.
-Pakistan defeat England, aren't England supposed to be the best all of a sudden?
-Ireland pursue long-term plan to achieve test status by 2020, good luck to them.

DISCUSS!!!

TheLyontamer

Re: The Cricket discussion thread

Post by TheLyontamer » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:38 pm

YEAH! I’m always up for some chat of the cricketing nature. I loved our World Cup discussion thread last year. Hopefully this one takes off.

Just some random thoughts on the topics that Slayer brought up.

England’s number one status has now been totally thrown up in the air. The game last week was one of the worst I have ever seen them play. To be fair, the bowlers were very good. They worked hard and didn’t let Pakistan score too many. But the batting was a shambles. Ajmal and Rehman are two very good bowlers. But they’re not great. The England batsmen made them look like Warne and Murali. Morgan, supposedly England’s best player of spin, has never looked more lost than he did in his last four innings. I expect to see him gone for the next match. What these two Tests have proven to me is how heavily England have relied on Trott and Cook to get to number one. It’s been all well and good over the past twelve months, with those two scoring bucket loads of runs. But the second they both fail to perform in a few consecutive innings, the batting goes to pieces. Strauss has been out of sorts for a while now. Pietersen came in during a tricky period in the first innings of the most recent match and was caught in the deep trying to slog hook one of his first balls for six. He doesn't appear to have the temperament to play a responsible innings. And Bell is very hit-and-miss. This batting line-up is way too reliant on two good players to do well on a consistent basis.

I’d still have to put England ahead of Australia, based purely on how much of a hiding they gave the Aussies last year. I’d err towards calling South Africa the best at the moment. Their Test series against England this summer will tell a lot. One thing is for sure – England is not definitively the best Test side in the world. No team that looks THAT out of sorts on the subcontinent against a tricky, but playable bowling attack can claim to be.

I didn’t see any of the NZ-Zimbabwe match. But the fact that a team can get rolled over twice in a day and still be allowed to play, while my country is not, makes me sick. Ireland would not have done any worse than that. I’d be inclined to say that we would have done a hell of a lot better.

Being a Test nation by 2020 would be great. I’m still doubtful as to whether or not it will actually happen, for a variety of reasons, but you never know.

Well done to the Sydney Sixers. I don’t really follow Australian domestic cricket too closely, but I'm happy for ya, Slayer. I can’t wait for the English County Championship to start in April. My adopted team finally got promoted to Division One at the end of last season, so I'm excited to see how they fare at the top level. And the T20 tournament is always a blast.

Let’s try to keep this thread alive as much as possible over the coming months. There should be no shortage of conversation topics, especially with the T20 World Cup in September. Qualification will be extremely tricky, with only two associates out of fourteen making it. I’m hopeful that Ireland can pull it off.

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:33 pm

Yeah the Zimbabwe Test was pretty embarassing for them. We have a new four pace pace attack which bowled out Aussie in Hobart and destroyed Zimbabwe so people are getting pretty excited about our chances in our upcoming series vs South Africa. It's been a while anyone has got excited about our bowling attack but they have looked very impressive but Zimbabwe were woeful so it's hard to gauge just how good it is. Lyontamer I don't blame you for being annoyed about Zimbabwe playing Test Cricket while the Irish can't. Zimbabwe aren't ready yet and should be left to battle other minnows until they can climb back up to Test standards.

Our series against South Africa will be huge for us but I feel they missed a real opportunity slip not having it over the Christmas New Year period when people were on holiday etc. We didn't have much on cricket wise over that time which is usually the best time to watch cricket. Instead we had to watch some one-sided Australia-India test that were pretty boring because of how bad India were. Having the series throughout February and March is a shame because a lot of people will miss it because of work etc and it just doesn't feel like a normal summer of cricket here.

A good thing for me personally is that South Africa is playing a 20/20 match here in Christchurch against our provincial side which I'm going to becuase thanks to the earthquakes we haven't had any major sport here for about a year.

Congratulations to Australia on their destruction of India. We like to hate the Aussies here but we respect them and Ponting and Clarke especially were very impressive. Clarke is world class for sure now and Ponting shut a lot of people up. I still feel Ponting should retire soon while he is on top. India were really disappointing though, I was really looking forward to that series and I'm a huge Tendulker mark so it really was a bit sad.

Slayer23
VIP Member

Post by Slayer23 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:48 am

I think the only reason Zimbabwe is still in Test cricket is because of their former stars like Heath Streak, Andy Flower, Grant Flower, Andy Blignaut, Paul Strang, Murray Goodwin, Sean irvine, Mark Vermeulen and Tatenda Taibu. I think we should give them atleast a few years to get back into the swing of things, they didn't play any test cricket for about 5 years, so i could understand if they struggled a lot for the first couple years or so.

As far as New Zealand goes i think they are in the same situation as Australia and England right now; great bowling attack but in-consistent batting line-up, i mean when you think about it who really performed constistently in our batting lineup. We had Dave Warner, Micheal hussey and Ed Cowan, all 3 showed signs of excellence but couldn't seem to do it on a consistent basis, you have Shaun Marsh who in 6 innings scored 17 runs at an average of lass than 2 and a high score of 11, Brad Haddin showed flashes of good batting but unforunately didn't get a chance to go on with it in the last innings and then there's Ponting and Clarke who speak for themselves. Fortunately i think our batting is in a better place than both Englands and New Zealands, we were in a bad place in the 10/11 ashes series, that won't be happening again. South Africa on the other hand are the complete package, i have nothing but respect for the Proteas, but we have their coach, and he seems to be doing good things for us so i'm happy.

Now that the big bash is over we can resume with the one-day and First-class competitions, which i'm keen for now we can watch them, GO THE NSW BLUES! As is the same with you regarding Australian domestic cricket, 'Tamer, i don't really follow County cricket, though my best mate is currently over in England for a couple years on a working holiday so he might be into it.

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:47 am

Man I can't wait for the South African series over here which starts next week. It is one of the most anticipated series in recent memory over here due to the fact that after winning a test in Australia and destroying the Zimbabweans (we got 350+ in 2 of the 3 one-dayers) there is high hopes that we can really give the Proteas a run for their money.

Myself I've learnt not to get too excited over our cricket teams chances because I've been burned too many times but the test series should be great with the South Africans having the added motivation of getting the No 1 Test ranking if they beat us 3-0. All I know is that we have some exciting young players in our side and for the first time for a long time some real depth. Whether they are good enough to match the South Africans is another question.

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:56 am

Wow, poor New Zealand. I got up in time to catch the second innings of this morning’s (or last night’s :P) T20 match. I’ve never heard of that Levi fellow, but his hitting display was of the most incredible I’ve ever seen, not just because of how many sixes he hit. It was the manner of a lot of them that made the innings so enthralling to watch. Flat shots that only rose a few feet off the ground, yet still managed to go all the way; shots that looked like he holed out to a fielder but somehow had the legs to go for a maximum; delicate little flicks over midwicket that soared into the crowd. It really was something to behold. After NZ's victory in the first game, followed by this, I’m really looking forward to the deciding T20.

I don’t think there would be a lot of shame in losing to South Africa, LK. While New Zealand certainly have a chance, and will almost certainly get a few victories, I find it hard to see them taking the ODI or Test series. SA just looks like the most complete all-round team in the world right now. I watched quite a bit of their series against Sri Lanka a couple of months ago and they were very good. AB de Villiers has developed into a phenomenal player, particularly in ODIs. And their strength in depth makes them very difficult to defeat. With that said, they did slip up in one Test match so they are certainly beatable. I’m hoping for some close games. Hopefully we get a few more like that NZ-Australia classic from December. It’s important that teams outside of the top four do well. While the NZ Test side has a fair few inexperienced players, a lot of the old stalwarts are still there. The ODI series, in particular, should be closely contested.

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:28 am

Wow, we just had one of the biggest chokes I have seen in any sport. We should've won that third game but to lose from the position that we did is very concerning and will kill our confidence for the rest of the series. Ouch.

GSDave
VIP Member
Twitter: GetSauced

Post by GSDave » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:48 pm

I think you should be alright. NZ has always had a decent history of bouncing back.

This would be the complete opposite of what happened to India in the recent Aussie Test's, it was obvious by the end that they gave up. Thankfully we have had a very good Tri-series of One-Dayers so far with a lot of very close contests. This is the type of cricket that I love!

On another note what do people think of Ponting retiring from 1 Day Cricket? Is Tendulkar likely close behind him? It's a shame to see such a great player retiring, but at the same time it was probably his best bet moving forward to continue playing cricket at an international level.
David Byrne - Regional Manager - Southern Hemisphere Division

Slayer23
VIP Member

Post by Slayer23 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:12 am

Definitely his best move, it will benefit his Test game immensly and stop weighing our odi batting order down.

I advise everyone to read the article on Cricinfo.com titled "discord, dissent hurt indian team", it gives a real good insight into how in shambles the Indian team is, kind of like out government right now.

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:41 am

I was just reading that article last night, Slayer. It’s an excellent read. I hadn’t realised that the Indian team was in this bad of a state. This rift between Dhoni and Sehwag doesn’t look good. I’ve never really rated Dhoni as a captain and have always found him highly overrated as a player. He’s not a great wicketkeeper. He’s an entertaining explosive number 7 batsman when he’s firing. But he’s never proven to be that good of a captain. From 2008-early 2011 he had a very good, experienced team that pretty much captained itself. When things finally started to go against the team during the England tour a few months ago, his lack of attempts to do anything was pitiful. The Australian tour has been the same. He’s always struck me as a guy who cares more about his sponsorship deals and IPL contracts than the fate of his national team. I can’t entirely blame him for that but he really shouldn’t be captain in that case. If there wasn’t a complete lack of suitable replacement candidates, I’d be advocating to get rid of him now. As it is, he’ll probably end up staying on by default.

On another note that nobody but me probably cares about, Ireland have recently been demolishing Kenya in a T20 series. As a result, we have bypassed Bangladesh and Zimbabwe in the T20 World Rankings. We’re currently ninth, just ten points behind West Indies. If we could overtake them within the next year or two it would be massive. The World T20 qualifiers for associates are coming up in a few weeks. I really hope we manage to qualify. It’d be a big blow if we don’t.

England’s first T20 against Pakistan starts in a couple of hours. After their complete turnaround in the ODI series, I’m looking forward to it. I have to start watching more of the tri-series, too. I’ve been reading all the match reports on Cricinfo and it looks like there have been a few belters. Now that it’s reaching the business end, it should become even more enjoyable.

Slayer23
VIP Member

Post by Slayer23 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:09 pm

I care Tamer, i really want to see an Ireland success story.

Also, regarding MS Dhoni he is a terrible player all around. In his whole career he has only made 3 test centuries, and in odi's he's even more overrated, yes he can park the bus and build an innings but at a strike rate in the 60's and 70's which is just not good enough. The Australian commentators have been talking up how he can hit sixes at will but i haven't seen it, he's hit a couple sixes but definitely not at will.

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:42 pm

Slayer23 wrote:I care Tamer, i really want to see an Ireland success story.
I know you do. :D Probably a bit harsh of me to imply that you don't.

Speaking of T20 choke jobs, we just got a pretty spectacular one from England. After reducing Pakistan to 70 for 5 (or 5 for 70, as you folks would say), they allowed them to get as high as 144. Then, after an explosive start with the bat from Pietersen (including 13 from the first over), they got into a position where they only needed 35 from the last 5 overs with seven wickets in hand. That's when Gul and Ajmal completely destroyed them. They didn't even get that close in the end. They didn't quite pull a New Zealand but it was a pretty bad choke. Not good from the supposed best T20 side in the world.

I wouldn't go as far as to call Dhoni terrible. He's a bad wicketkeeper and captain. But his batting isn't the worst. As a player who commentators put over as being aggressive and exciting he has played a lot of quite useful innings. According to Cricinfo he has five Test hundreds. That isn't great for somebody at that level but he does have 24 fifties, many of which have dug his team out of a hole. And his ODI batting record is even better. I wouldn't call him as overrated as say, Shahid Afridi, who has this inflated reputation of being such a dangerous player when, in reality, he usually doesn't last ten balls when he bats. I think Dhoni's ability is certainly over-inflated by commentators, but I'd consider him to be a pretty useful number seven as they go.

GSDave
VIP Member

Post by GSDave » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:31 pm

I think ponting has certainly made the right choice.

It's sad to see that India are in such disarray. I have a feeling they may see a very steep decline for a while until they sort themselves out. Ms Dhoni is probably one of the worst captains, and definitely benefitted in the same way Ponting did back in his early years as captain being surrounded by people that didn't really need to be captained. He is an ok keeper, and a solid batsmen. At the moment the need solid, because they haven't got much else.

Since talking to you Tamer ive been keeping an eye on Ireland and they have done a great job against Kenya by the look of it. Hopefully you can climb your way up the list and hopefully be a regular fixture in international T20's over the next few years. It's a good building block towards your countries other aspirations.

You should definitely try and catch some of the tri-series. Im very much looking forward to doing so after work tonight, and with only 4 games left until the finals it should be interesting. Will also be the first game of the post Ponting ODI era.

Slayer23
VIP Member

Post by Slayer23 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:06 pm

I'm happy to see India in dissaray, the likes of Dhoni, Kholi and Raina are some of the worst sports in the world and you can tell their assholes by the way they are in the feild.

GSDave
VIP Member

Post by GSDave » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:14 pm

I was more talking from a getting to watch competitive cricket standpoint, I have never been fond of India as a team in any respect. But I'd much rather watch a close test series than what we just saw.

Next one dayer about to kick off, but sadly no return of Watson. Figers crossed for Sunday, and an Aussie win. Feel I may doze off watching this at home this arvo.

Slayer23
VIP Member

Post by Slayer23 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:39 pm

Yeah when you put it that way, just as long as we're still winning it would be better to have close games.

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:33 pm

I feel like Ponting should've retired completely after the Indian series. I just have this feeling that he isn't going to retire from Tests until they drop him which isn't the way he deserves to go.

He apparently called a press conference the other day which people thought he was going to retire from all cricket but it was only to say that basically he wasn't. I have read that many people thought he came off as an extremely self indulgent guy.

Does he have a family or anything? He kind of seems like a guy whose whole life is cricket and doesn't have much going on outside of the game, that is why he won't retire. I hope he does retire on his own terms because as much as I don't like they guy I respect him.

GSDave
VIP Member

Post by GSDave » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:57 pm

He is married with two kids. My Auntie used to work for Cricket Australia and knows them all pretty well. He is not that focused on cricket away from it and is definitely still a family man. But when the cricket is on he does focus on it.

Another very close One-Day match last night. Thrilling finish again. Credit to the sri-lankans for getting the job done, they played a great game.

Slayer23
VIP Member

Post by Slayer23 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:29 pm

Bowling Dan Christian in the second last over was a terrible decision and definitely cost us the game.

GSDave
VIP Member

Post by GSDave » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:39 pm

It wasn't the best call, although he has been doing it for SA to some effect. That over definitely killed it.