The Cricket discussion thread

Discuss sports leagues, put together fantasy leagues, brag about your team winning a championship, etc.
Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Re: The Cricket discussion thread

Post by Legend_Killer » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:45 pm

OK, maybe not Pakistan.

Dram
Developmental Talent

Post by Dram » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:49 pm

I haven't seen a nation with test status play this poorly in about 24 hours.

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:54 pm

Every time I see Pakistan play like this my mind goes onto one thing, match fixing.

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:07 am

I hear what you're saying about the format, LK. I don't get it at all. NZ played three games in the first week, while SL and Afghanistan only played one. In the other group, WI and Zimbabwe have both played two games already, and play their third game against each other the day after tomorrow. Meanwhile Ireland and UAE will still only have played one each by that point.

And the trend of games between Full Members being completely one-sided continues. Are we going to see a single close game between top eight sides in this tournament?

From an Irish standpoint, I don't know what to make of that result. My initial feeling was disappointment, as we are hoping to beat the Windies to fourth place, so them beating the third best team in the group puts us under pressure to do the same. Now I'm beginning to think that we should really fancy our chances when we play against Pakistan. A much weaker Irish side defeated a much better Pakistan side in 2007. I see nothing in that team to fear. It now seems that India and South Africa are the only teams guaranteed to progress from the group. Third and fourth place are apparently up for grabs.

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:46 pm

That UAE game was far too close for comfort. We were basically dead at the halfway point of the run chase, but some fantastic middle and lower order batting has seen Ireland make it two wins from two. South Africa will probably give us a proper hiding in the next match, but with games against Zimbabwe and Pakistan still to come, I'm really starting to believe that we might make it out of the group.

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:51 pm

You boys were lucky you played the Windies when you did. Gayle was amazing against Zimbabwe. In saying that though Zimbabwe appear to be reasonably handy, especially with the bat. That will be a key game for your Irish team Lyon.

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:31 pm

Indeed. A win against Zimbabwe alone could be enough to see us qualify. If we can beat Pakistan too, qualification will be guaranteed.

In other news, Australia are currently in danger of being skittled by New Zealand for a lower total than England were. This is a really bizarre innings. The batsmen are smashing the bowlers around the park, yet they keep losing wickets. I feel like Australia are hurtling towards 150 all out in 25 overs.

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:49 pm

Does TheLyontamer botch as much talking about Cricket as he does in the 1 to 1,000,000 game?

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:59 pm

I don't know if I have ever gone through the range of emotions for a sporting event as I did for the NZ-Australia game. Jesus that was a rollercoaster. Good win for us though because it shows we have a LOT to work on with our batting. Winning easily wouldn't have helped us I don't think.

It was a pity about Ireland last night, but they ran into a South African side that has been on a mission since their defeat to India.

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:28 am

South Africa annihilated us, and I don't see how that would surprise anyone. While it's nice to get excited about Ireland doing well, people have to be realistic with their expectations. SA are several levels above us and it showed.

That Zimbabwe game, though. I don't think a cricket match has ever had me so tense. It was do or die and I was convinced that we had thrown it away after scoring 330 and taking four early wickets. The dream is still alive, though. Bring on India and Pakistan. It would also be pretty sweet if UAE could turn over WI, in which case I believe we'll qualify even if we lose our last two games.

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:39 pm

Scotland, UAE, Afghanistan, England... Yeah, as expected, the four minnows are the first to be eliminated.

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:01 pm

Man, the Irish cricket fans will be LOVING this.

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:05 pm

It's fantastic, man. Regardless of what happens from here, we're going to end up finishing with more points than England. How sweet it would be if we could join Bangladesh in the last eight and set up a showdown with the Kiwis.

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:37 am

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/ ... 42hjv.html

You might like this Lyon, a good column from former Aussie test player Dean Jones regarding the Irish and test cricket. He makes a lot of sense.

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:23 am

That is a good article. For me, the important thing isn't the Test status exactly, but that the big teams are forced to play us on a regular basis. Bangladesh and Zimbabwe have Test status, but rarely play against teams other than each other these days. As long as the ICC continues to allow teams to arrange tours amongst themselves, England, Australia and India will play another four thousand games against each other between now and the next World Cup, with the other members of the top eight picking up the scraps, and the likes of Ireland and Afghanistan will once again be left with almost nothing.

It's a shame to bow out of the tournament on NRR. On reflection, what a crucial game Pakistan vs West Indies a few weeks ago turned out to be. If Pakistan hadn't collapsed at the start of their run chase, and actually won the game, Ireland would have qualified ahead of WI with a game to spare. Still, the team can be immensely proud of itself. We won more games than England and Zimbabwe, the same number as WI and Bangladesh, and just one less than Australia, South Africa, Sri Lanka and Pakistan. We very much belong at the top level, and could be as good as anyone else with the right support and practice. Now to sit back and see what happens during the qualification process for the next World Cup. If the ICC persists with its present plan of holding a qualification tournament in Bangladesh, there's a very real possibility that Ireland may not be at the next tournament, despite proving to be every bit as competitive as most of the top nations.

It's been fun to have a team to follow over the last few weeks, but it's time to go back to being a neutral. On paper, the only quarter-final that looks to me like it'll be close is the SA-SL one. Every other seems to have a very clear favourite.

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:20 am

Wow man, Guptill with a 200. Unbelievable stuff. I feel bad because I was calling for Guptills head after a lacklustre summer before the World Cup but man did he prove me wrong and I am glad. We showed today that we can put on runs without McCullum and Williamson. South Africa though are going to be tough, I don't know if we can do it.

I really think it would be good for world cricket if we won this thing. To break the stranglehold that the big 3 have on the game would be fantastic.

It sucks that is the semis are on weekdays. You would think that teams should be playing every 3rd day in pool play instead of the knockout stages but that is the ICC for ya. Can't wait for Tuesday.

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:01 pm

Yeah, and three of the quarters were also on weekdays. Apart from the first two hours of NZ-WI, I couldn't catch any of them live. Won't be able to see the semis either, which really disappoints me.

New Zealand and South Africa both have impressively terrible records in World Cup semi-finals, so it's fantastic that one of them will reach the final for the first time. Beyond any doubt, I'll be rooting for whichever team wins this game in the final. I have no interest in seeing Australia or India win again. This Kiwi team has definitely captured my heart, so I'm definitely pulling for them.

One of the most pleasing things for me has been the resurgence of Vettori. He hasn't had the standout performance of some of the others, but I think his experience and steady bowling have been a huge help to the team. I love watching good spin bowling and he's always been a favourite of mine. A few months ago, it seemed like he'd never again play for his country. It's been very pleasing to see him play a Test against Pakistan, as well as the entirety of this tournament.

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:21 am

Holyyyyyy shit. That was easily the most unbelievable sporting moment I have seen for us. I thought the Australian game was amazing but that was another level. Can't wait for Sunday. I will be getting Monday off work.

Dram
Developmental Talent

Post by Dram » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:36 am

Absolutely speechless. That took years off my life.

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:09 pm

I'm not even from New Zealand, but this morning was unbelievably tense at work as I hunched over the ball-by-ball text commentary on my phone for over an hour. So pleased for the Black Caps.

I just caught the highlights of the game. While I totally understand the praise for Elliott, as it took nerves of steel to hit the penultimate ball for six when a mishit likely would have handed the game to SA, it's hard not to acknowledge the amount of luck he had towards the end of his innings. A couple of missed run outs through fumbles from De Villiers and De Kock, the skyer that dropped between three fielders, and that ridiculous collision between the two fielders which resulted in the ball being knocked from the grasp of one of them. He made the most of it, which is all anyone can ask for, but I doubt NZ will be afforded so many chances in the final.

Now here's hoping that Australia prevail tomorrow to give us our dream final in Melbourne.