Maintenance issues & the needed presence of Paul Nemer

Post your comments, questions, and suggestions for WrestleView.
El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Re: Maintenance issues & the needed presence of Paul Nemer

Post by El Canuck » Fri May 30, 2014 5:04 pm

You never crossed me as someone who was an advocate of nagging as a means to get things done.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Post by AndyF1069 » Fri May 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Take it from somebody in Greg's position who also has to maintain a website used by thousands daily. Nagging doesn't increase the speed it takes to have a message seen. If Greg sends a hundred messages and Paul isn't looking for messages, then 99 of those messages are wasted.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri May 30, 2014 5:42 pm

Well there's no other means he has of communicating with Nemer. He evidently doesn't have FBook nor has he left any other means of contact like a phone number. So, if he doesn't answer soon, perhaps there's some means by which we can claim the forum for ourselves due to abandonment?

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Fri May 30, 2014 5:45 pm

The internet doesn't have squatter's rights, sorry.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri May 30, 2014 5:51 pm

I'm sure there's a cause somewhere, with the phpBB hosts or something.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Sat May 31, 2014 10:16 am

What is it you're expecting to happen exactly? Do you think he's lounging around, too lazy to check anything?

I don't know the nature of his work, but if Greg say he's busy, then take that for what it is. He's busy. Even if he knew about the problems with the forum, it's unlikely that he would be able to just type up some code adjustment and be done. Pestering him won't change anything, including the speed at which the issue is going to be addressed.

I know with my guy, he's currently in university studying for a masters degree in sports psychology, whilst working enough hours of the week in his part time job to be considered a full time job. All of that is whilst planning a wedding with his fiancée. My website isn't a priority for him. It doesn't mean he doesn't care, it means he has to take care of what is important to him.

I don't imagine many alarm bells ringing in Paul's mind if he hears that a sub section of a forum doesn't have an edit button and that isrs doesn't have a theme that he wants. Doesn't mean he doesn't care, it means that they are less important than whatever he does in his day to day life.

It sucks, I get it. But constant pushing and pressing is going to accomplish nothing except potentially annoying people. Your concerns are heard, they have been forwarded. Nothing more can be done until Paul has the time to do something about it.

If I'm wrong and he is a lazy millionaire, then this post is invalid.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sat May 31, 2014 10:49 am

He doesn't have to write any code, I've seen the admin functions on phpBB, it's pretty damn simple. But I ain't even asking him to fuck around in the functions of each board. All I want him to do is log in for five minutes and give someone else that's actually here admin authority. That's it, Paul can stay on, or he can go whistle dixie then for all I care. That's all I want, it can be me or Greg or X or whomever, I don't care, just give it to someone who has the time to so much as log in every six months or so.

Yep, he's busy, I get it, job and real life and all that jazz. But man, you make it seem like Paul is "He who shall not be bothered", like he's the fucking President of the United States or something. He's an average guy with a life and as a result, he's busy, well, WHO ISN'T?! Seriously, we're all busy here to some degree, even us lowly peons that aren't forum admins. Goober looks after his grandmother, LC and I both write books, Tamer, Jama & Slim are in college, Greg's readying himself to embark on the next chapter of his life. We all have shit and priorities in life that we have to deal with, Paul has different priorities than us; fine, sign in, sign off and that will be one less priority on Paul Nemer's list.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Sat May 31, 2014 11:47 am

If I was comparing to Obama I would say he was too important, not too busy.

You missed the point, the forum isn't on his mind. He isn't thinking about the forum. He isn't thinking about checking for messages. That's part 1.

Part 2 is the severity of the issue. As much as it annoys you, it's not a massive problem. Even if he is aware of the issue, he isn't going to just drop what he's doing to come hop on.

There's also a trust factor. You can't just trust somebody with your property which you pay for. It doesn't matter how well you know somebody or how good they seem. This forum reflects on wrestleview which is why there are rules that are enforced. There needs to be the trust that the power of admin won't be abused, that you are secure with your computer and won't ever get a virus that might spread to the website, or that you don't get a keylogger for a hacker to get control.

As I said, I really get your annoyance. I'm not ever going to tell you that you're wrong. I keep comparing to my own situation. I've volunteered my time over 6 years for my website and I'm doing the bulk of the work keeping it going - Just like it's the mods and the posters who keep this forum running. Not only do I have thousands of unique daily visitors and tens of thousands of unique monthly visitors to try to keep the website running smoothly for and to answer their questions, feedback and ideas, I also have a facebook feed to maintain and keep interesting. I do all that for free, and I do it all on my own. So when I have statistics that have a screwed up script and aren't updating daily anymore, when I have average values not automating anymore, when I have no new features to add, no articles to post (despite being typed up and ready for weeks), bugs in player profiles and the one guy who can fix them not answering my messages or even looking for them, I get annoyed too. It reflects poorly on him, but I'm the guy putting my time in to something which is falling apart and the one who answers to the community. More importantly, I answer to the developers of the game. They chose us to be a promoted fansite, and our website reflects on them. But my guy can't just give control to somebody else. It's too much power and too much risk.

In a way, it almost feels like my website with how much work I put into it (all of which is done in my free time over 6 years of studying, working and more studying). I'm also frustrated with all of the problems. Our website offers unique functions, which is the bulk of what it's used for so the probems are "forgiven" but it doesn't make it acceptable. Just like the forum is a minor part of the wrestleview website in the eyes of the majority, but that doesn't make the problems on the forum acceptable.

I'm the team leader who has to tell the other volunteers "I can't do anything until he answers me". Just like Greg tells the forum users that he can't do anything except pass on the messages. And then even when my guy does answer, he doesn't do anything due to time constraints.

That ultimately is what I'm trying to get across. Greg doesn't need you to remind him about what's broken or to be pushed to annoy Paul. If you keep pushing Greg, he becomes one of the people you end up accidentally annoying, despite your good intentions. It seemed clear to me by the quote I posted that he was trying to give you a hint of "I'll post when I have an answer, until then nothing will change, please stop asking". Of course, that's just my impression and I'm not speaking on his behalf.

Tl:dr

You're not wrong in your annoyance, we as users deserve a working forum. But it'll be fixed when it's fixed. Pushing won't change anything

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sat May 31, 2014 12:00 pm

I get all that, I really do. But when half a month passes by without an update, I don't feel in the wrong or that I'm pestering to ask if there's any sort of movement at all on the "Where's Paul Nemer" front.

As for trusting someone to be admin, I get that too. However, at present, Paul has zero admins. This forum is without ANYONE that can do ANY administrative duties here and Paul doesn't have the time to even so much as fart in the direction of the board. If he doesn't put trust in someone to take care of this place for him, (above what Greg and X can do) then it's going to be a poor reflection of WrestleView.com, regardless. It doesn't help matters that by all appearances it looks completely drab and has Modern Warfare 2 logos all over it.
But it'll be fixed when it's fixed. Pushing won't change anything
And not only is "It'll get fixed when it gets fixed" a meaningless tautology, but pushing is exactly how things get changed in society.

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Sat May 31, 2014 9:47 pm

I covered a lot of this in the Off-topic forum a while back, but anyway I pretty much agree with Dandy Andy, and not to go against Nucks' right to raise the issue or keep on it. I don't think the issue is dire. We're a lot better off than we were as far as being able to edit posts and having some active moderation. Could the forum use an admin? Yes. Are we in desperate need for one? I don't think we really are. The forum isn't THAT active. This forum kind of reminds me of Cheers, it's a place where everybody knows your name. I think the activity has picked up a bit. It tapers on and off. I don't want to push Paul too hard basically because I'm kind of afraid that at some point he could decide that we no longer need the forum, and instead of giving us the upgrades we want, he could decide to close down shop. He'd really only be catering to a few people here. Would he give up the forum to somebody else, sell it or whatever? I don't know. I kind of doubt it, and whether or not it would be what it is if not an official part of WrestleView. I would buy it and rebrand it, but it just wouldn't be the same.

The biggest issue I think is for people like Mafa, who has been a loyal member for many years and doesn't seem to visit us very much anymore. He is colorblind so the board theme actually did effect him to a bigger extent than it has effected others.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:29 pm

The Main Page wrote:Wrestleview.com Owner/Webmaster Paul Nemer passed along these results.

7/7 WWE Superstars tapings:

* Adam Rose def. Titus O'Neil. During the match, Rose tried to put his sucker in Titus' mouth. Rose pins Titus for the win.

* Curtis Axel w/ Ryback def. Tyson Kidd w/ Natalya.
The Main Page wrote:Wrestleview.com Owner/Webmaster Paul Nemer passed along these results.
The Main Page wrote:Wrestleview.com Owner/Webmaster Paul Nemer
The Nemer lives.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:05 am

Hurray for not being dead!!!!!

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:53 am

Was that when they were in Montreal?

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:35 am

Aye, 'twas.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:59 pm

Well I think the new theme is great on windows 8.1 but I still want want
the subsilver2 type of theme again as an option there must be a version of
white on black theme from where paul got this one from.

he also hasn't visited us for a while now

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:04 pm

And I once use to receive a nice e-mail from Paul Nemer

i'm not even sure if pauls e-mail still at webmaster@wrestleview.com

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:23 am

Greg, I think it would be prudent at the juncture of prolonged unresponsiveness from Paul Nemer to perhaps renew efforts to establish communication with him. If this step has already been taken, please disregard this message.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:50 am

He sent me a Skype message on Thursday, wishing me a happy birthday. I hit him up when I saw the message (I was asleep when he sent it), but haven't received a response.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:04 am

I am somewhat satisfied with this, at least we know he is still capable of communication.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:29 am

I hope that one of Paul Nemer's New Year's resolutions is to visit this board just once and assign at least one new admin or promotes Greg to that job and makes one other person a mod.