Last video game you played- chain

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Re: Last video game you played- chain

Post by AndyF1069 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:22 pm

Rise of the Tomb Raider is available for $12 (as well as a bunch of other unknown games that will be revealed at the end of the month) in Septembers Humble Monthly. I'm a bit iffy on cash right now. I absolutely adored the Tomb Raider remake and I am quite eager to play the sequel.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:57 pm

For anyone interested in Speed Run World Records, Youtube happened to suggest a video for me and I found a goldmine of a channel. The dude puts into clear, yet very simple detail the history of records, how people accomplished them, what discoveries were made to make runs quicker and goes through the evolution of records from the first recorded up til the current day.

This is the channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtUbO6 ... VIOGML3c8w

And here are examples of videos

Super Mario Brothers

Mario 64 (120 stars, there is a separate video for any %)

Half Life 2

Sonic 2

"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jama7301

Post by Jama7301 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:50 pm

Darbian and Kosmic trading the SMB1 record for a bit back and forth was fun times when it was happening.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:50 am

Heat Signature is a very good game, and once I play more of it, I will post more thoughts about why it's good and rad.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:43 pm

Heat Signature is a sci-fi, slower paced Hotline Miami.

You start off on a single space station, and you pick from one of 4 randomly generated characters. Your goal is to help liberate the other stations in your galaxy from the various factions that hold them. You do this by undertaking missions that involve stealing an item, rescuing a person, assassinating a person, or capturing a ship. All the missions take place on randomly generated ships out in space that you fly to. As you do missions, you earn hold in the area, and once a meter fills, you can Liberate a station that is adjacent to one that you've freed. These can provide things like special characters you can play, or permanently making certain types of items available for everyone to purchase going forward. Additionally, unlocking some stations unlock modifiers for missions. For example, the Enigma clause means that there can be no living witnesses to you on a mission with that clause. You'll either have to kill everyone you come across, or use your items to avoid being seen while you get in and out. Conversely, the No Bloodshed clause means that you can't kill anyone (with the exception of an assassination target), so you'll need to either stealth or use non-lethal items.

This game likes teleporting. It has several different types you can acquire. The ones I've seen are
- Sidewinder - Let's you arrive at a point in range, provided a walking path exists there (no matter how winding). Good for getting to a spot that has several guards between you and it.
- Visiter - Teleport into an area, then return to where you left after a few seconds - Good for breaking into storage holds, or leaping to an assassination target, and hopping out.
- Swapper - You and another person in range switch locations.
- Glitch Trap - You place a beacon on the ground, and choose a location in range (except into a solid wall). When any NPC steps on it, they will be teleported to where you selected. You can use this to move people into rooms that are out of the way, or you can teleport people into space, if you don't want to deal with them anymore.

Similar to games like Diablo, these items can come with prefixes that modify their properties. A Long Range Swapper and an Extreme Range Swapper increase the target distance by 1.5 and 2 times, respectively. Recharging and Self-Recharging make items more valuable, as they recharge their uses upon returning to a friendly station, or over time on their own, respectively. Guns can have words like Quickfire or Quiet, to lower the downtime between shots and making them better stealth killers. The list goes on.

In Hotline Miami, you needed to get into a rhythm; kick down a door, fire two shots from the handgun, throw it at someone, roll behind cover, and sweep the room. In Heat Signature, the actions are similar, but the rhythm is more clinical. This is due to the ability you have to pause and queue up actions. At any time, you can press the spacebar, and pause the game. While paused, you can adjust which items are your primary and secondary (bound to left and right mouse buttons), and you can queue up an action by holding the mouse button. When you release it, or press a movement key, the game resumes and if your action was available, it will go off. It's not uncommon to dash at a pair of enemies to take out one, pause, and then shoot the other with a silenced pistol.

If you get popped during a mission, either with lethal or non-lethal means, the people on the ship will chuck out out the airlock. It is imperative that you pause the game as soon as they do, because that's the only way you can remotely control your pod to save yourself from dying in space.

If you do a lot of missions with the same guy, build up their personal loadout, and liberate bases, the missions will start to yield less and less points towards liberating the next base. They become a known hero, and building a rebellion is all about having many people step up to inspire, so it's not a one man crusade. When a character reaches this point, you can keep working at reduced gains, attempt their Personal Mission (if you have the money to buy the needed intel), or you can retire them. If you retire them, you can name one of your items and release it to the world. This means your Steam friends can find it, and any characters you have going forward can stumble across it. You're essentially releasing your own relics into the world.

I really enjoy this game as a way to kill time, and it makes you feel really clever when you have the right item for a mission. For example, I had a single use Visitor teleporter that I found in a previous mission that I didn't sell. I took an assassination mission, and the target was right by the pod docking bay. If I had done the level normally, I would have had to weave through the ships to get to his location, but my Visitor allowed me to pop over the wall, kill him, and return to the area by my pod. In and out in under 30 seconds. The random generation was kind to me that time.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:52 am

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:33 pm

Between Zelda and Mario, I've never been as interested in a current Nintendo console as much as I am with the Switch.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Post by Big slim » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:56 pm

How is Odyseey?

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:02 pm

I don't actually own a switch, but the games that have come out for it have been blockbusters. I've seen nothing but phenomenal things from the two games I mentioned. Mario has an average rating of 97 from 75 critic reviews.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:53 pm

Yep, Mario Odyssey is getting rave reviews so far.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:04 am

Girlfriend preordered Odyssey, since Amazon Prime members get 20% off game preorders, I guess, so I'll be picking up a switch either this weekend or next week to give 'er a whirl.

In the meantime, hooray got my busted Wii U gamepad replaced. Now to play some Mario Maker again. Gots the itch.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:20 am

Super Mario Odyssey review after an hour and a half.

It is incredibly pretty, charming, and I've already been impressed with the things you can do.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:18 pm

I'm intrigued by it. On account of having Breath of the Wild on Wii U, I've had no reason to want a Switch, but having checked one out recently and hearing such good things about Mario Odyssey, I'm definitely interested.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:46 pm

Here we go. About 4 ish hours in, so this will double as a Mario Odyssey review and a Switch REview.

We got Odyssey first, off Amazon for the 20% discount, but on the day of getting the switch, we bought Puyo Puyo Tetris, because multiplayer puzzle games rock.

(aside: Puyo Puyo Tetris rocks and is fun if you liked Kirby's Avalanch/Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and Tetris).

Mario Odyssey may be the best 3D mario game I've played. The control you have doing your basic moves, long jump triple jump, etc, feel sharper and more responsive than previous games, and the jumps that require you to use 3D Depth are easier to judge than in a game like Mario 64 or even in a new one like Super Mario 3D World.

This is a game I'd rather play using the joy cons detached than with a traditional controller attached. It's easier to perform some maneuvers with the joycons than with the regular controller, such as the spin attack (Flick joy cons from left to right or right to left versus spinning the joystick and pressing Y).

The levels are gorgeous as hell. Remember what Nintendo did with the Mario Galaxy games on the Wii? It's that, but better. The levels are so densely packed that you can explore in lots of places and be rewarded. On top of that, you're encouraged to return to previously visited worlds because MORE stuff is packed in there that was inaccessible before.

Mario Odyssey is very good.

For the Switch, it has a lot of what I loved about the Wii U, with off-screen play, without the drawback of being tethered to a base console. Switching from on-TV play to off-TV play is super smooth too. Came home from work, saw that girlfriend was using the TV, just pulled the Switch out of the dock and fired it up, moving away from the console.

Despite having a great Launch year, it will live and die by it's game selection. While Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2, and Odyssey are great, they helped buoy this year. Hopefully they can keep up the first party support into next year and beyond. If you look beyond this though, the Switch is like, a smorgasbord of fantastic indie titles. Axiom Verge recently debuted, as a weird Super Metroid-y game, Golf Story harens back to the Mario Golf Advanced Tour days of a top down golf RPG, Shovel Knight is great on any platform, Stardew Valley scratches the Harvest Moon itch better than most, VVVVVVV is coming soon and is a fun, gravity bending platformer with a rad soundtrack, and Steamworld Dig 2 appears to be a lesser known gem. This is going to be my go-to indie device, because sometimes, firing them up on a computer is just too much of a pain.

Another smaller game that I grabbed the demo of is Snipperclips, which is a charming as hell puzzle game for one or two players where you use your characters to cut shapes out of each other. For example, if both characters are a O, and you overlap them a bit, one character could be a C and one an O (letters used for shape purposes). You can then use the C to do something like reach into a crevice or pop a balloon. Might have to pick that up down the line.

The Switch is already on pace to pass the Wii U in total sales within the next year. If they end up launching a Mario Maker 2 in the next year or two, it'll easily clear that.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:53 pm

The Switch works for me, based off what I want from a game console, and how I game. If you're into big block busters and such, you may be left wanting on the switch, as big releases may be few and far between. It also works really well if you like playing away from your TV, or if you like playing in spots other than your living room. I like taking things off the TV to just lie in bed, or play on a couch. but not everyone likes that.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:19 am

Another Pro in the Switch column: Can keep playing through power outage. Power went out for a bit when it was being used to play on TV. Removed it from dock, continued game.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:59 am

Because I keep missing edit windows: Switch cartridges - cons, smaller storage capacity than the Blu-Rays for major consoles. Pros: Super quick loading times.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:42 pm

I will likely make the Switch in the late winter/spring of next year once I get my apartment situation fully figured out. I am a big Nintendo fan and am glad to hear the so far positive reaction that the Switch is getting.

The big seller that will likely cause it to surpass the Wii U is the Pokemon game that will launch on the console. Whether it is a return to something like Pokemon Snap, Stadium, or Colossieum, or if they are finally going to give the people what we've needed for 20 years, and that's a fully realized Pokemon adventure on the home console. With Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon being the final games on the 3DS, this seems to be the case and I am eagerly anticipating either a revisit to an old region like Kanto or Sinnoh or diving right into Generation 8, it should be an exciting game regardless.

Although I still want a Snap remake too!

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:29 pm

Anybody with $5 to spare and four hours of time needs to buy To the Moon for Steam or for mobile. I have a short review in my gaming thread. I can't describe the game without ruining the experience but I can say that it is extremely story heavy and will make you feel all of the feels. It's one of the strongest gaming experiences I have ever had.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:38 pm

Episdoe 3 of Season 2 of Batman The Tell Tale Series is out! I will be hammering through it on my day off tomorrow!