Last video game you played- chain

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Re: Last video game you played- chain

Post by El Canuck » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:48 am

It's pretty much set. There's a fair amount of customization in terms of setting up the match, but once the bell sounds, what you get is what you get. In terms of controls, it's completely different than anything that the big promotions have ever released over the decades. The grappling system is timing based and the strikes/running grapples are very precise. It pretty much eliminates button mashing of all types. You gotta know what you're doing or even lower level CPU will kick your ass, so it's a steep learning curve, but once you figure it out, it's so much fun.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 am

After 29gb of pre-install updating, I'm finally getting to start Final Fantasy XV. So far, I'm enjoying it, but that said, I'm barely into it. I was afraid the battle style would be too close to FF XII, but it's much more fluid and plays more like a standard action/adventure game more so than I imagined. I still long for the days of turn based RPG's on TV consoles, but I suppose I must take what I can get.

Also, finished Suikoden III for the first time. It was above average. Not a fantastic RPG, but fairly memorable. It had its moments and the battle system was different from the standard Suiko system. Much better than Suiko IV, but beneath Suiko I, II and V.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Post by Big slim » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:44 pm

Slowly playing my way through Arkham Origins again. Definitely a different feel from the Rocksteady games, a little slower, but so far I still enjoy it.

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Post by AndyF1069 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:47 pm

"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:33 pm

Ps+ for August includes Just Cause 3 and Assassin’s Creed: Freedom Cry, PS4. I don't have any knowledge of the AC game but JC3 seems like a fantastic freebie to nab.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jama7301

Post by Jama7301 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:46 am

Just Cause games are like the Saints Row games, in that they both embrace their wonton destruction natures.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:12 am

Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry was the full DLC game that came with Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. It's set twenty years after and you play as Adewale. While basically its own standalone game that plays almost identically to AC:IV (Adewale is bigger and uses different weaponry, but it otherwise controls the same), it's nly about a quarter of the length and the world is much smaller, contained solely to the Port Aux Prince region of the Caribbean. Worth a play if you like the sea faring AC games.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:38 pm

Said it before and I'll say it again, I really wish we could explored more of the life of Edward Kenway or Adewale. I know both stories were wrapped up pretty nicely in their separate games (although I hated having to kill Ade in Rogue, fucking Shay!), but I wanted more from both characters as they were each a joy to know and play as.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:54 pm

I totally would have been all in for an AC IV sized game starring Ade. Such a solid character and I agree, fucking Shay!

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:24 pm

I couldn't fully invest in Unity. Arno is such a meh character and the French Revolution background is kind of wasted in the game. Syndicate was a definite step up, hopefully Origins can be a fun entry.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:37 pm

Unity is definitely the weakest AC game. If not for Elise I likely never would have even invested enough time to finish the game.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:55 pm

True, Connor as a character wasn't as strong as Ezio or Edward, but to me he was miles ahead of Arno. And the Tyranny of King Washington DLC helped him a lot as well.

Will probably dive back into Injustice 2 tonight and start a new story campaign. Both the Superman and Batman ending are really interesting and open up a ton of possibility with future titles, just like the modern Mortal Kombat series. Looks like Nether Relam Studios have to bonafide fantastic series on their hands; hopefully they don't get lost up their own ass like the original MK titles did.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:43 pm

Aw shit yeah, bought Patapon Remastered for the PS4. Now I'll never get that rhythm out of my head.

Also been playing Enter the Gungeon and just fired up Halcyon 6 for the first time. The former is a top down, twin-stick roguelike, the other is a... Well, once I get a better grasp, I'll fill it in.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:47 pm

Starfire is a tricky character to play as in Injustice, although I did enjoy her depressing ass ending.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:07 pm

Update: Halcyon 6 is the new XCOM games (base management) mixed with a turn-based RPG (combat) with shades of FTL (Moving through the star sector to find randomly generated events). The Ship to ship combat relies on infliction and exploiting various status effects on enemies. Literally, some moves work better if the enemy is suffering from a specific condition. For example, one of your moves may inflict Hull Breach. If a target has Hull Breach, you may be able to inflict a greater amount of damage, or secondary effect with move 2.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:20 pm

People can complain about Bethesda and their buggy engines, but if I'm running through Skyrim and something like this happens, I will bust out laughing every damn time:

http://imgur.com/r/GamePhysics/B7GLGJk

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:59 am

Picked up No Man Sky on PS4 and it's exactly what I want it to be. Exploring planets ans cruising through space is relaxing.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:57 pm

PS+ lineup for September

inFAMOUS: Second Son (PS4)
Child of Light (PS4)
RIGS: Mechanised Combat League (PS4 bonus title – PS VR required)
That’s You (PS4 bonus title)
Truck Racer (PS3)
Handball 2016 (PS3)
We Are Doomed (PS Vita & PS4)
Hatoful Boyfriend (PS4 & PS Vita)

Child of Light is a fantastic game, loved it on PC. Quite looking forward to inFAMOUS. Two months in a row of AAA games.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:04 am

Today in stupid, sleepy post work shiggles. Here's my Steam library category for RPGs, ranked from best to worst.

Alpha Protocol
Deus Ex
Saints Row 2
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (Gameplay is rough as hell, but boy does it nail tone and setting)
Shadowrun - Dragonfall
Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster
Shadowrun Returns
Final Fantasy IX
Path of Exile
Divinity Original Sin
Saints Row 4
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Dragon Ball Xenoverse
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Bastion
Penny Arcade On the Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness 1&2
Brutal Legend
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition

Undecided/Not enough played
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1
Saints Row Gat out of Hell

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:01 am

Shadow of War, the sequel to Shadow of Mordor is launching pretty soon. The first game was fantastic, introducing innovative features as well as being a world of fun. The sequel is expected to improve on the original immensely and thus is expected to sell extremely well.

One of the main people in charge of developing the game passed away from a very aggressive form of cancer recently. In tribute to him, the developers have added a dlc introducing a character based on his likeness that will occasionally lend a hand. It'll cost $5 and $3.50 of each purchase will go to the family.

All sounds well and good, if not a bit odd that the family doesn't gain all of the proceeds. However, a deeper prodding will reveal the shadiness of the situation. The remaining $1.50 goes to the publisher (not the developers). Not to charity. There are also a number of US states that due to law, will be exempt from their money going towards the family. Outside of the US, zero proceeds will go to the family. It goes into the pocket of the publisher.

A video explaining the shadiness in greater detail is available

I legitimately find myself hesitant to want to buy the game as a result of this practice. I can't support profiting from the death of another, especially an employee who put his heart and soul into the product that is being tarnished by the practice before passing away.