"Last Film you watched" chain

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Re: "Last Film you watched" chain

Post by isrs4life » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:08 pm

I rewatched The Guilt Trip for the 3rd time first time thow at home.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:49 pm

True Fact: There was a movie that had both Batista and RVD in the same film is called Wrong side of town
I accually had it before but wish I kept the film I just did not believe in it at the time...

Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Post by Big slim » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:59 pm

Time to see how the new Power Rangers is!

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:23 am

Watched the new power rangers movie and Damn I never thought I would have an image of Rita repulse in my spank bank she was hot

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:29 pm

Yep. Unique way to end the final fight to say the least 😂

endless
Hall Of Famer

Post by endless » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:13 pm

I've been in an obscure classic dramas kick lately:

The Children's Hour(1961)

Karen(played by Audrey Hepburn) and Martha(played by Shirley MacLaine) are two teachers in charge of an all girl's boarding school. One day their lives are thrown into chaos when a rumor that they are lesbian lovers gets out. Shirley MacLaine and Audrey Hepburn give A+ performances in this hard hitting drama. They have really great chemistry with each other. MacLaine is especially great. She is on another level here. Fay Bainter, Karen Balkin, James Garner and the rest of the supporting cast do a good job in their roles as well. And William Wyler is an all time great director who does a subtle, but excellent job as well.

If you are in the mood for a classic drama, I could not recommend this movie highly enough. It's a bit of a hidden gem. Despite the all star cast in front and behind the camera, this movie isn't really talked about all that much. Probably for the same reason that it wasn't a big awards winner in it's day, the lesbian theme. But trust me, this is probably the best movie of 1961. The only two movies that might be in it's class are The Hustler and Splendor in the Grass, and even then I think The Children's Hour is better.

Desperate Characters(1971)

A depressing snapshot of 70's New York City through the lens of a depressed and lonely middle aged, middle class couple having a mid life crisis. This film is not for everyone. It's very slow and it meanders without a real external plot or conflict that can be resolves. Some of the dialogue is clunky at times as well. If you are in the mood for a character driven movie, and don't mind the tone or pace then you may enjoy it. The acting is excellent in it's own understated and "real" way. That's probably this movie's biggest strength.

The Slender Thread(1965)

A very good drama. Sidney Poitier is never disappointing as an actor, but this is really Anne Bancroft's show. She delivers a captivating, nuance, complex and powerful performance. You really won't be able to take your eyes off the screen because of her. This also happens to be Sydney Pollack's directorial debut, and he does a good job. This feels like the movie of a director that would one day grow to become one of the best in Hollywood. The city of Seattle, just a couple of years removed from the 1962 World's Fair, provides an interesting backdrop for the story and some beautiful images.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:34 pm

Endless! Welcome back.

“What a strange girl you are. Flung out of space.....”

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:40 pm

A few films for the week:

The Blue Max (1966)

Pretty good movie about German WWI flying aces. Very realistic dogfight scenes using real planes and stunt pilots. Story involves a cold hearted pilot up from the ranks, doing everything he can to win the highest medal (the Blue Max), much to the chagrin of the other flying officers who come from the German Aristocracy. A theme being the death of chivalry in the face of all out total war. A must see war film, a favorite of my father.

Three Ring Circus (1954)

12th film by the team of Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, whom we're told were getting sick of working with each other by this time. Another circus film sorta like The Greatest Show on Earth from a few years earlier. The boys are being discharged from the army and Jerry has arranged to be a lion tamer's apprentice, in order to get a foot in to follow his real passion of becoming a circus clown. Martin is along for the ride, and to chase the girl (Zsa Zsa Gabor). Funny segment with Sig Ruman as the lion tamer. Average film.

Possessed (1947)

TCM had a full day of old Joan Crawford movies on, many from the 1930s. Caught the end of one and the beginning of another, this is the only one I watched full through. She plays a mentally disturbed character found walking around town in a catatonic state. The psychiatrist at the hospital treats her and gets her to tell a story of how she got that way. A love - hate triangle involving a man who doesn't reciprocate her love turns her into a psychopath. Not a great film, but the story kept my interest the whole time. Crawford was able to play psychos pretty well.

Rogue One (2016)

OK film, mostly well made but I have a few story issues. Better off discussing this in the Star Wars thread.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:06 pm

Weather is heating up, blockbusters are on their way. Head to Macho Mars to look over my Summer Movie Preview.

https://machomars.blog/2017/04/15/summer-movie-preview/

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:50 pm

Big slim wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:43 pm
Evan, have you gotten a chance to see Split?
Update: Yes I have. Thought it was pretty good, nice to see Shyamalan making acceptable movies again. Let's see where that ultimately takes him.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:57 pm

My viewing activity over the last few months. Will post extended thoughts if requested.

High-Rise
Dead Man's Shoes
Get Out
A Field in England
Sightseers
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me
Personal Shopper
Kong: Skull Island
Louis C.K. 2017
Spartacus
The Discovery
Mystic River
Attack the Block
Paprika
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Cabaret
Memories of Murder
The Conversation
West Side Story
Straw Dogs
The Last House on the Left
Unforgiven
Oliver!
Split
A United Kingdom
Christine
Queen of Katwe
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
The Great Wall
The Love Witch
Why Him?
Logan
Dick Tracy
Twelve O'Clock High
The Magnificent Seven
Batman Returns
Batman 89
Manchester by the Sea
War on Everyone
I, Daniel Blake
Assassin's Creed
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Rules Don't Apply
20th Century Women
American Pastoral
Arrival
The Love Witch
Fences
The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
Paterson
Passengers
Live by Night

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:49 pm

Kong: Skull Island, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Get Out, and Split are reviews I'd like to see.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:24 pm

I didn't really like Kong Skull Island, it felt very artificial to me, characters felt like placeholders and most of the film felt inauthentic because of the number of times the actors had to react to the VFX around them. All of the elements just don't gel and a lot of it lies squarely with the director and the screenwriter. Needed a few more months of post is my guess.

Mask of the Phantasm is one of the all-time great animated films not made by Pixar or Studio Ghibli. Incredibly thoughtful grounded and spiritual. Shirley Walker's score is an overlooked beauty, elegiac and thematic in the best possible ways. I love it, it's just about up there with the Burton and Nolan films for me. Would also recommend Batman Beyond which is heavily influenced by the likes of Blade Runner and Akira at least in the beginning anyway.

Split, like I said was promising. It seems like Shyamalan has found his footing again. You could see him trying to find his voice again in a lot of ways even if the movie flounders at certain points. Twists didn't feel shocking to me they felt like an interesting turn of events. Looking forward to what comes of this new shared universe.

I really liked Get Out. Will have to see it again though. It felt like a Shyamalan movie but if it had more depth in a lot of ways. It manages to be creepy and exciting in unique ways as events unfold. You're like a frog in slow boiling water with the protagonist the whole way through. A really good movie.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:14 am

Batman: Under the Red Hood is another one I'd recommend for you Evan. Great voice work, an emotional story, and well done animated action. I agree with you though, Mask of the Phantasm is one of the best superhero movies period. I would put it up there in terms of quality with any MCU film, the Nolan Dark Knight Trilogy, and even Logan. It's part of the reason why Kevin Conroy and Mark Hammill will always get me excited when they are Batman and Joker.

Batman Beyond was such a fun show, hate that it got cancelled before it's time, but it was great for what it was. Return of the Joker is also another gem of a DC Animated Movie.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:02 am

Edward Scissorshands, during a nice monday afternoon this past week :)

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Sat May 06, 2017 8:21 pm

I dont mean to sound gay but I found the movie, corina, corina but I always enjoyed it when I saw it on tv.

I have found 17 movies since hmv went out of business and hello sunrise records soon

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sun May 07, 2017 7:24 am

Don't worry isrs even if you did mean to "sound gay" there would be nothing wrong with that.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Post by AndyF1069 » Sun May 07, 2017 8:46 am

Still Alice (2014)

A 50 year old linguistics professor develops early onset Alzheimer's and the movie follows her deterioration. So scary to watch because it's based on reality and could happen to anyone. Incredible performance by Julianne Moore.

This movie was absolutely chilling.

"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Sun May 07, 2017 12:14 pm

Gotg2 just awesome movie and had the best opening segment in a marvel movie to date. And that line I'm mary poppins yo had me in stitches

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Sun May 07, 2017 4:24 pm

eobversion1 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 7:24 am
Don't worry isrs even if you did mean to "sound gay" there would be nothing wrong with that.
Ok, have you also seen Corina, Corina before to?