"Last Film you watched" chain

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
Mafwanix
Title Contender

Re: "Last Film you watched" chain

Post by Mafwanix » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:46 pm

Hmm, been a while since I posted one of these. I know there seems to be little activity here on the board anymore, but I notice in the past week, there has been over 100 views of the Oscars thread. So, someone is looking at these posts, and I'm in the mood to mention a few old films I've viewed over the past 2 months.

The Bowery Boys made 48 films between 1946 and 1958. This ensemble was a later incarnation of the East Side Kids from 1940 (22 films), and originally the Dead End Kids from 1937 (6 films). As the Bowery Boys, many of their films were patterned after popular Abbott & Costello films of the 1940s. Watched a small handful of them:

Master Minds (1949)

Horace Debussey Jones AKA Satch gets a toothache and becomes able to see into the future. To make some money, the boys put him to work as a carnival attraction, until he gets abducted by a mad scientist who wants to put his brain into a half human wildman in an effort to create a superhuman army. OK film.

Ghost Chasers (1951)

The boys are aided by a real ghost as they try to expose a fake psychic who is swindling one of their friends. Pretty averge film, a few good parts, but the ghost angle is dumb.

The Bowery Boys Meet the Monsters (1954)

Probably one of the better known BB films. Outright silly, juvenile movie. Directed by Edward Bernds, well known for directing Three Stooges comedies. Kinda stupid film includes everything, 2 mad scientists, robots, a vampire, wild gorilla, and a man eating plant. They went over the top with this, and it just comes across badly. This one's a dud.

Spook Chasers (1957)

One of the last few Bowery Boys comedies, after Leo Gorcy left the group. Written by Ellwood Ullman, who worked a lot with The Three Stooges, this fast paced comedy recycles a bunch of old Stooge's gags, and primarily features Huntz Hall (Satch). I thought this one was above average for one of these kiddie matinee movies and a lot of fun.

Cavemen and Dinosaurs!

One Million B.C. (1940)

The original, starring Victor Mature and a bunch of trick photogrsphy iguanas and lizards. Silly, unrealistic movie made for kids by Hal Roach Jr., who'se father was famous for 'Little Rascals' 'Our Gang' comedies, among others.

One Million Years B.C. (1966)

Hammer films remake of the Hal Roach film, featuring the Dynamation dinosaurs of Ray Harryhausen and a scantily clad Raquel Welch as a cavegirl. The poster of her was probably more famous than the film itself, as seen in The Shawshank Redemption. Same basic story but much better film than the original. Decent movie.

When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth (1970)

More animated dinosaurs, this time by Jum Danforth and Dave Allen, in a sort of fantasy sequel to Hammer's previous caveman movie. Hot cavegirls in bikinis! Whoohoo! From the period that Hammer was including more nudity in films.

The Valley of Gwangi (1969)

More Ray Harryhausen animation! Some rodeo/circus folk discover a secret valley where dinosaurs are still alive, and capture one to bring back and put in their show. Of course, it all goes wrong. Pretty good movie.

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:54 am

I gave the Oscars a pass this year, but was able to watch the one part I like to see: the In Memorium tribute short. ABC had it on YouTube. I was a bit surprised that, for actor James Karen, they showed a clip from. . .

Return of the Living Dead (1985)

.. So I felt like giving it a re-watch. Horror/Comedy, spawned a whole slew of sequels. This one is a real good dark comedy that blends more elements than you would expect in a straight up zombie film. One of my favorites.

While I was in the mood. . .

City of the Living Dead (1980)

Directed by Lucio Fulci, an Italian contemporary of George Romero, known for a slew of gory zombie movies. This one was supernatural based, but I think suffers a bit from a sort of abrupt editing. Weak story, some plot points make little sense, but a very visual driven film. The sets are pretty creative, even with an evident low budget, and the make up/gore effects range from cool and creative to outright cartoonish. Good for one watch and a few laughs, although I don't think it was meant to be funny.

The Adventures of Captain Marvel (1941)

The original! I dunno where this new one came from, this is the one I remember. Ten chapter Republic serial. Typical serial from the day, not the best, and I'm not really a superhero fan. Shazam! and Billy Batson is transformed into Captain Marvel to battle the evil Scorpion and save earth from a powerful weapon uncovered by archaeologists. OK movie, if you like this sort of stuff (I do).

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Fri May 03, 2019 11:19 pm

A few recent viewings:

The Spy Who Dumped Me (2018)

I enjoyed this. Now, here is a film, starring female lead characters, directed by a female directer, that has a well paced story and plenty of humor and action without trying to be some sort of preachy 'girl power' feminist lecture. The failure of some all female reboots like Ghostbusters and Ocean's Eleven was not because of male sexism etc., they were just crummy films. I thought this was a good one, and I don't really even care much for Kate McKinnon. But she fit this role. The chase scenes, I thought, were particularly creative (and the wipe-outs made me LOL).

The Nun (2013)

No. not the horror film from last year. French film based on an 18th Century novel, which has had several adaptations over the years. It is 1760, and a teen girl, who'se family has gotten into some sort of financial trouble (which is not really explained in the film, but appears to be ruinous in that time's society), pretty much forces the young girl into a convent, against her will. The kind Mother Superior of the convent who helped convince her to take her vows, dies, and is replaced by a sadistic new nun who mistreats and tortures her. She manages to get a message out to a lawyer to try and get her vows annulled, but fails. She does finally get transfered to a different convent, where she becomes prey to a predatory lesbian mother superior nun. SPOILER She eventually manages to escape. In an earlier version of the film, it ends tragically. This film kept my interest through, even as it was in French and subtitled.

The Madness of King George (1994)

Award winning biographical period piece, mainly portraying the sadistic methods used to treat mental illnesses in the 18th century. Ian Holm, Bilbo in the Lord of the Rings films, is especially diabolical as the treating doctor here.

The Big Circus (1959)

Early feature film by disaster movie and TV producer Irwin Allen. Basically, a mediocre remake of De Mille's Greatest Show on Earth.

Rapture (1965)

Good film, featuring an old Melvyn Douglas and a young Dean Stockwell. Stand out performance by French actress Patricia Goozi as a somewhat disturbed teen girl. A bit slow in spots, but well paced overall with moody noir-ish B & W photography. A supporting role by Peter Sallis, later well known as the voice of Wallace in the Wallace and Gromit animated films.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Fri May 10, 2019 9:06 pm

I rewatched RV (2006/Robin Williams)
and
Justice League (2017), for the first time ever that I got back from christmas time.
It was my first multi super hero movie ive seen besides fanastic four. But I liked it and I enjoyed it :)

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Tue May 14, 2019 2:17 pm

Pet Sematary (1989)

Escape Plan 2, that had Batista in it which was good! but he did not have to many action parts in it.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Fri May 17, 2019 12:42 pm

I rewatched The Breakfast Club

jeeze I almost fell a sleep watching it late last night
but it was good as always :)

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Fri May 17, 2019 12:45 pm

Case 39 (2009)

This was one of the better supernatural horror films I've seem in recent times. Cop Ian McShane and social worker Rene Zellweger save young girl Jodelle Ferland from deranged parents trying to kill her, but don't know what they really saved. Good movie, made in 2006 but not released until 2009.

Warcraft (2016)

A mish mash of elements from Tolkien's Middle Earth and Conan the barbarian, liberally borrowing from a host of other fantasy tales, folded into a story pretty much entirely made up of genre cliches. It was a watchable, rather quick paced film; not bad but nothing that stands out either. I didn't care much for the visual style, not cartoony but not realistic, either. Probably meant to look like the game, I suppose? (I'm not familiar with it). A bit of a twist ending, obviously left open for a sequel (which doesn't seem likely at this point).

Papillion (1973)

Great classic film. Even though I've seen this a dozen times, it came on, and for some reason I didn't remember the first few scenes. I wound up watching the whole thing again, and still enjoy it.

Get Out (2017)

Pretty good movie. Not a particularly original story, but a few inventive twists updating a somewhat cliche story for today's audience. I did have the misfortune of seeing this on TV, and the network butchered it up pretty badly with commercials. But it's virtues came through anyway.

King Soloman's Mines (1985)

Campy 80's version, played for some laughs that just don't quite work. A bit silly, but watchable if you go in only expecting a mild, juvenile adventure story. Obviously a cash grab at the success of Indiana Jones. Prequel to Allan Quatermain and the City of Gold, this one is a bit better,

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Fri May 31, 2019 4:20 pm

The last witch hunter (2016)

I really liked the movie it was one of my first Ven Diesel movies i've seen believe it or not...

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:54 pm

The Next 3 Days (2010)

Prison breakout movie written and directed by Oscar winner Paul Haggis. Russell Crowe plays a mild mannered father who'se hot head wife Elizabeth Banks is convicted of murdering a co worker. After exhausting all appeals, he schemes a way to break her out and flee the country. But is she really innocent, as he believes? Film not action heavy, but a good watch.

Papillion (2017)

Another prison escape film. New version of the old story with Charlie Hunnam and Rami Malek this time around. I know a lot of folks don't like Hunnam, but I think he's a decent actor, and Malek won an Oscar this year for playing Freddie Mercury. Other than a few minor story differences, this well made film is probably about 70% shot for shot remake of the 1973 film. The biggest thing I noticed is in this account, the prison guards and warden come across as much less sadistic, compared to the original. A good take on a good story, but makes you wonder, why bother? A film that didn't need to be remade, some opine that this was primarily meant as an "Oscar Bait" movie.

Midway 1976

Surprisingly few war movies on TV over the recent US Memorial Day Weekend, this was the only one I wound up watching. Typical 1970's blockbuster, big movie with a huge cast of well knowm 'tough guy' a-list actors. Quite a bit of use of historical footage, gave a certain amount of extra realism to a movie with a somewhat mediocre screenplay. If you are interested in WWII history or navel films, this fits the bill, but as a dramatic war film, there are much better ones.

Journey to Shiloh (1968)

I wound up enjoying this one. Tragic story that is strangely upbeat. A group of young Texans take up a journey to 1860s Richmond VA to join up with a Texas regiment to fight for the Confederacy, with dreams of glory and heroism. Nothing winds up as they expected, experiencing the worst of Southern snobbery, racism and victimization along the way, as they wind up fighting at the battle of Shiloh. Film stars a number of almost unrecognizable young versions of later well known actors like James Caan, Jan-Michael Vincent and Harrison Ford.

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:35 am

Kong: Skull Island (2017)

Boy, was this a lousy movie. No wonder it's already on cable. On the plus side, it updated the classic King Kong story to 1973, to tie in Viet Nam war soldiers, has some creative new monsters and new environment of the island. A lot of good, fresh new ideas there. But, an over use of hokey looking CGI, a really poor screenplay, absolutely lousy character development, and poor, dramaless directing leaves us with 2 hours of boring crap. I even think the 1978 'Rick Baker in a gorilla suit' version was better than this mess. Pass on this one.

Novitiate (2017)

This apparently was a film festival darling with many nominations and a few awards. In the 1960s, a teen daughter of a non religiius single mother gets a scholorship to attend a Catholic school. At graduation, against her mother's judgement, she decides she wants to become a nun. She trains at a convent overseen by a harsh, old school Mother Superior nun. Both characters have their difficulties, the young girl questioning her faith and the old nun unable to accept the sweeping new changes to the Catholic church made by Vatican II. This movie was kinda plodding, I was waiting for something bad to happen like that other nun movie I saw, but it just sort a fizzled out. Ok for one watch, could have used more drama for my taste.

Iceman (198?)

Hadn't seen this in a long time, so gave it a rewatch. I like this film. They take the basic premise of several old horror films, thawing out some sort of caveman/troglodyte/missing link frozen in the ice, and update it to try and make it scientifically realistic. They throw in some emotional factors with an anthroplogist who wants to study his behavior, when every one else pretty much just wants to dissect him. Good little movie.

Firewalker (1986)

Chuck Norris plays it for laughs in this silly comedy. Two bungling adventurers join a young woman on a quest to find Aztec treasure in the Central American jungle. Not loaded with martial arts overall, but the bar fight scene is actually pretty funny, as is some of the dialogue. Light, kid friendly film good for one watch.