Hall Of Famer

Re: What are we reading?

Post by El Canuck » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:59 pm

Picked up four graphic novels this past week:

Civil War: Ms. Marvel
Civil War: The Fantastic Four
Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America
The Sworn Sword: The Hedge Knight II

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:46 am

Just started on best in the world by Jericho been looking forward to this one

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:39 am

I greatly enjoyed his first two books, will need to get the 3rd when it hits the paperback scene too.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:59 am

Only took me 10 months, but I have now completed my re-reading of A Song of Ice & Fire, and can thus begin my first reading of A Dance With Dragons. Definitely enjoyed Feast For Crows more this time, as the Cersei chapters really dragged for me the first time around. Now that I knew where we were headed, I was able to enjoy the endless follies along the way, whereas when I read it the first time, it just felt like all the cool people in King's Landing were gone, and this was the crap that was left.

Anyway, definitely stoked to dive into the next book, which has been patiently waiting on my shelf to be opened for the first time.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:08 am

I think Feast is underrated, I think I enjoyed it more than AGoT in my last rereading.

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:03 am

Cersei was the only sticking point, my first time reading. She was still sometimes a bit of a chore, but Jaime totally made up for it. Once he gets out of the city, it's game over. Easily the best character of the book.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:44 pm

I found her inclusion as a PoV to be an interesting choice, she was always such a compelling, broken, tragic character. Being in her head, seeing the gears that resulted in such awful, terrible decisions working was, to me anyway, made for good reading. It's not often that such a clear heel is used as a PoV, so to have Cersei, the biggest shit heel left in the game by A Feast for Crows as a PoV was welcome. Especially with characters like Dany, Tyrion and Jon being almost entirely absent. (The latter most appears in Sam's early chapters only)

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:52 am

In preparation for the movie Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon, what an interesting book, amazing writing, rapport between the characters and humour too. Can't wait to finish it over Christmas.

“What a strange girl you are. Flung out of space.....”

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:12 am

Just read all the heroes of Olympus set and have to say I quite enjoyed them.
Blood of Olympus was my favorite

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:28 am

Finally got around to reading one of the graphic novels the Muse bought me as a Christmas present, this one was Wolverine: Hunting Season. It's a newer comic released since the events of Civil War. I loved the story, it ends with a cliff hanger so now I have to track down the next part, but I enjoyed what I read thus far.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:32 pm

Mark Kermode's PHD Thesis on "The Radical, Ethical, and Political implications of British and American Horror Fiction" Flabbergasted to be honest. No idea what to make of it, I always assumed it was made up. Never thought someone could get an accredited Doctorate based on their love of the horror genre. Interesting read nonetheless.

“What a strange girl you are. Flung out of space.....”

coco
Mid Carder

Post by coco » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:20 pm

Finished all the heroes of olympus and now I'm on Athena's Mark. Very enjoyable reading with its moments that really suck you in. Probably taking a break after it and do some marketing readings before going to House of Hades
towney007 wrote:Oh and btw... to the 'duhhhhhhhh *drool* Taker don't wear no suitz~' comment: **Shows picture of Calaway in a suit**
Svck my d~ck with sh!t on it.

Dynasty
Title Contender

Post by Dynasty » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:30 pm

About to finish the first Outlander book. Pleasantly surprised with this considering alot of the reviews I read were hinting at this being a "smutty" kind of book. Couldn't be further from the truth. Great historical fiction looking forward to the rest of the series.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Post by AndyF1069 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:37 pm

Harry Potter and The Cursed Child.

Not impressed. Tons of glaring plotholes and feels too much like a fanfiction.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan