What are we reading?

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
coco
Mid Carder

What are we reading?

Post by coco » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:41 pm

I remember when I joined this forum back in '05 there was a thread like this and there was some good discussion going on and people recommending books etc. As I haven't seen this in a while I wanted to start again so i shall begin

Since finishing high school i stopped reading for a couple of months. Eventually i picked:

Crime and Punishment it's a most read for any Dostoevsky fan. It's an amazing story that keeps you entertained from beginning to end with a lot of psychological description of the characters. It's a bit of a heavy reading and at times a bit awkward specially when you're reading the main character main and train of thought but then again, most of Dostoevsky books are a bit dark.

As for now I'm finishing Swim with the sharks without being eaten alive by Harvey B Makay. It is a nice Little book it gives a lot of tips for everyone in the business world or anyone planning to go into business. All the tips are backed up with personal memories of the author which gives you a better understanding. It's an easy reading at times funny and clever book; I actually would say that it is good even for people not going into the business world as there are a lot of tips which you can use in every aspect of your life.
towney007 wrote:Oh and btw... to the 'duhhhhhhhh *drool* Taker don't wear no suitz~' comment: **Shows picture of Calaway in a suit**
Svck my d~ck with sh!t on it.

Supro
Twitter: suproawesome

Post by Supro » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:39 pm

I finished The Death Of WCW. It was a great read. It goes into detail about alot of things that happened during the final years of the company. I couldn't believe how bad they were doing (It said that if WCW basically had the wrestlers work for free, the company would still lose $40 million in 2000). I highly recommend it to everyone, especially those who will find out why people are saying TNA could be in trouble.

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:10 am

"Bastard Out of Carolina" by Dorothy Allison. Just finished it this morning, and holy sh!t that was a good book. I've been thinking about it all day, it's just so fvcking tragic.

The Voice Of Reason
Developmental Talent

Post by The Voice Of Reason » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:16 am

toonamil wrote:I finished The Death Of WCW. It was a great read. It goes into detail about allot of things that happened during the final years of the company. I couldn't believe how bad they were doing (It said that if WCW basically had the wrestlers work for free, the company would still lose $40 million in 2000). I highly recommend it to everyone, especially those who will find out why people are saying TNA could be in trouble.
Now this angers me.

How in the blue hell would the people who wrote this who weren't even in the damn company, goes into detail of things that happened, how would they know, because they heard it from someone, give me a break.

Anyone who list en's to that book needs their head checked because the people who wrote the book know nothing. They talk about figures, again how would they know, WC figures where never made public. It's just all rumor's and info from third and fourth hand info, things like this really pisses me off and takes away the truth about what really happened with WCW. This is when the Internet and wrestling together piss me off.

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: lacarrington1

Post by LondonChick62 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:57 pm

White House Chef-Eleven Years, Two Presidents, One Kitchen by Walter Scheib and Andrew Freiedman. It's a great book that combines stories of Walter's years as Executive Chef at the White House and some recepies It's quite a fascinating read.
“I’ve been very fortunate to play this long, been a part of a lot of good organizations, played with a lot of great players, so it means a lot to me.” ~ Paul Martin on playing his 800th NHL game, December 2, 2016

Supro
Twitter: suproawesome

Post by Supro » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:11 pm

The Voice Of Reason wrote:
toonamil wrote:I finished The Death Of WCW. It was a great read. It goes into detail about allot of things that happened during the final years of the company. I couldn't believe how bad they were doing (It said that if WCW basically had the wrestlers work for free, the company would still lose $40 million in 2000). I highly recommend it to everyone, especially those who will find out why people are saying TNA could be in trouble.
Now this angers me.

How in the blue hell would the people who wrote this who weren't even in the damn company, goes into detail of things that happened, how would they know, because they heard it from someone, give me a break.

Anyone who list en's to that book needs their head checked because the people who wrote the book know nothing. They talk about figures, again how would they know, WC figures where never made public. It's just all rumor's and info from third and fourth hand info, things like this really pisses me off and takes away the truth about what really happened with WCW. This is when the Internet and wrestling together piss me off.
Actually, they do. The book was written by R.D. Reynolds and Bryan Alvarez, who happens to be a journalist for Figure Four Weekly. Many of their sources come from Dave Meltzer, creator of Wrestling Observer and possibly the most respected wrestling journalist out there. Meltzer had inside sources too, which is important to know. Even in the book, it tells us that he interviewed Bret Hart.

The book also has alot of TV rating numbers, which you can easily find on the internet anyway. The book is actually factual because many of the stuff that happened in the book did happen on TV (also revealed on the WWE DVD Monday Night Wars).

Flair_Pinned_Me
Mid Carder

Post by Flair_Pinned_Me » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:27 pm

toonamil wrote:
Now this angers me.

Actually, they do. The book was written by R.D. Reynolds and Bryan Alvarez, who happens to be a journalist for Figure Four Weekly. Many of their sources come from Dave Meltzer, creator of Wrestling Observer and possibly the most respected wrestling journalist out there. Meltzer had inside sources too, which is important to know. Even in the book, it tells us that he interviewed Bret Hart.

The book also has alot of TV rating numbers, which you can easily find on the internet anyway. The book is actually factual because many of the stuff that happened in the book did happen on TV (also revealed on the WWE DVD Monday Night Wars).
Yeah, I've just finished reading this and you're right. They could get the buyrate numbers from the cable companies and gate's etc from the venues. Meltzer reported those numbers before the book anyway... It's a really good read but i dont think it talks enough about the AOL-Time Warner takeover.

Solon_Jee
Rookie

Post by Solon_Jee » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:58 pm

http://www.paulnemer.com/viewtopic.php?t=20787

Here's the original thread.

Right now I'm reading the Secret Story of Inquisition, by Peter Godman. Next ones will be Existentialism is an humanism of Sartre, and Bodei's Sensation of Déja Vu (déja vu is the sensation Neo has in the first matrix with the cat).

coco
Mid Carder

Post by coco » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:23 pm

I started yesterday Da Vinci Code. It's really entertaining and cleverly written. However how can people take this seriously is beyond me. People who look too much into this story is ignorant. Nonetheless Dan Brown makes a terrific job blurring the lines between fantasy and reality.
towney007 wrote:Oh and btw... to the 'duhhhhhhhh *drool* Taker don't wear no suitz~' comment: **Shows picture of Calaway in a suit**
Svck my d~ck with sh!t on it.

Quinn
VIP Member

Post by Quinn » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:24 am

Flair_Pinned_Me wrote:
toonamil wrote:
The Voice Of Reason wrote: Now this angers me.

Yeah, I've just finished reading this and you're right. They could get the buyrate numbers from the cable companies and gate's etc from the venues. Meltzer reported those numbers before the book anyway... It's a really good read but i dont think it talks enough about the AOL-Time Warner takeover.
Bischoff's book talks a bit more about the AOL-Time Warner merger and how it effected the running of WCW.

The Death of WCW seems to have been written from the perspective of fans, which it actually says at the beginning. And it comes across that these fans were getting increasingly annoyed and frustrated at where WCW was going and what it was doing. Bischoff's book on the other hand is obviously very pro-WCW as most of the success of WCW was down to Bischoff ideas or ideas under his leadership. Obviously it does not focus so much on the things that went wrong.

The truth of it is somewhere in the middle of Bischoff's, Reynolds and Alvarez' and the pro-WWE's views, I think.
Thus Quoth the Quinn "When I want your opinion I'll give it to you!"

Quinn's Cement Soup - When you think of Cement Soup; Think of Quinn's Cement Soup!

Flair_Pinned_Me
Mid Carder

Post by Flair_Pinned_Me » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:59 am

I've read Bischoff's, and largely hated it.

I'm currently reading Rant by Chuck Palahnuik.

theflamereturns
Developmental Talent

Post by theflamereturns » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:58 pm

I finished Bischoff's book a few months ago and found it entertaining. Of course, he's got his own viewpoint on things and makes it out to be ALL about the big merger that drove WCW under...but still, a lot of what he says makes sense, and I guess you've gotta take what he says and combine it with what McMahon says...the truth's probably somewhere in the middle.

As for what I'm reading now, I recently picked up copies of Mick Foley's first two autobiographies, Have A Nice Day and Foley is Good. Working my way through the first one now and finding it very good indeed. I've got my eyes open for The Hardcore Diaries to complete the set.

Credit to ashranch.com for the sig!

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:46 pm

I also read Bischoff's book a while back. I liked it, mainly because it was unlike most other wrestling books I read in that it focused more on the TV production and large company business-end point of view, not so much the "what it was like working with so and so in the ring" and road trip anecdotes many other books take.

Currently reading "The Year of Living Biblically" by A.J. Jacobs.
"One man's humble quest to follow the bible as literally as possible".
Actually pretty funny so far.

B3
Mid Carder

Post by B3 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:47 pm

I am America (and so can you!) -stephen colbert

"Bret screwed Bret"
-Paul Nemer, 3/5/2005-

WallsOfJericho
Title Contender

Post by WallsOfJericho » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:58 pm

toonamil wrote:
Now this angers me.

Great read. I read that book last summer in about a day and a half. I couldn't put it down. I appreciated the sarcastic comedy they threw in there too. Bischoff's book was good too and looked at things from a different perspective. It kind of gave me another view on why WCW crashed.

As for what I am currently reading: mostly graduate school applications and "How to get into the Top MBA programs"

When I do have time I'm reading through a book called "The Tender Bar." It's a memoir and a pretty good read so far.

I'm also paging through (slowly but surely) a book on careers in management consulting. Yes I am that lame.

Finally, I just have to vent about the death of Robert Jordan. May he rest in peace, but his d@mn Wheel of Time series better get the proper conclusion it deserves.
Holla if you hear me!

El Rockero

Post by El Rockero » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:44 am

I got a book for the holiday season called Wrestling Babylon by Irvin Muchnick.

Does anyone know if it's any good?

martyjannettyfan
Mid Carder

Post by martyjannettyfan » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:35 am

I just finished Jericho's autobiography, which I loved. My favorite wrestling biography outside of Foley's. I'm also planning on ordering Bret's book sometime soon. Up next for me is J-Pod by Douglas Coupland. I'm also looking to pick up Nick Hornby's newest.

Solon_Jee
Rookie

Post by Solon_Jee » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:35 am

Just finished La mécanique du coeur of Malzieu. Gonna start the last book of Roth "a man", then I'll go with the big biography of Napoleon Bonaparte ! Nice to have time for reading.

Phil C of WV
Title Contender

Post by Phil C of WV » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:59 pm

I just finished 2 books...

"Dutch: A Memoir of Ronald Reagan" by Edmund Morris...this book is great, because it's not a typical biography. Morris actually creates a fictional version of himself that, in the book, was a former classmate of Reagan's and his life and Reagan's crossed paths several times. However, everything in the book that relates to Reagan's life is factual, and due to large amounts of research. A great read and an incredible twist on your typical biography.

"SCUM Manifesto" by Valerie Solanas...A fellow politico/blogger friend of mine sent me this as a Christmas present because of it's historic noteworthiness (Solanas was the woman who shot and nearly killed Andy Warhol) and the fact that I'm a conservative. This manifesto pretty much states that men are the root of all evil and should be killed, and women would reproduce and keep just enough men around to milk for sperm. The book itself isn't too interesting to me, but correllating Solanas' life to the theories in the book intrigues the psychologist within me, lol.

I'm halfway through Drew Carey's "Dirty Jokes and Beer: Stories of the Unrefined", this is a GREAT book, so far.
The Poster Formerly Known As "CollegeDropout"

Author of "On Second Thought..." on Wrestleview.com

"Oh, you're broke? *gun shots*...now ya dead broke" - Big L

WallsOfJericho
Title Contender

Post by WallsOfJericho » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:26 pm

I read Jericho's autobiography a few weeks back. I think it's the best of the bunch I've read (Eddie/HBK), but not as good as The Death of WCW.

I also started reading the Dilbert Principle. Sadly the book outlines how my office runs.

I can't wait to quit my fvcking job....
Holla if you hear me!