What are we reading?

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
coco
Mid Carder

Re: What are we reading?

Post by coco » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:08 pm

The One-Week Job Project by Sean Aiken

Very interesting book; it's simply the story of a guy who finishes university and has no idea what to do with his life and so he decides to start this project of working one different job every week.
towney007 wrote:Oh and btw... to the 'duhhhhhhhh *drool* Taker don't wear no suitz~' comment: **Shows picture of Calaway in a suit**
Svck my d~ck with sh!t on it.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:12 am

The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: lacarrington1

Post by LondonChick62 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:52 pm

I just pre-ordered a novel written by a friend of mine, So Shall Ye Reap. The title just debuted yesterday on Amazon.uk. :D
“I’ve been very fortunate to play this long, been a part of a lot of good organizations, played with a lot of great players, so it means a lot to me.” ~ Paul Martin on playing his 800th NHL game, December 2, 2016

coco
Mid Carder

Post by coco » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:20 pm

Red_And_Yellow wrote:The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman.
I gotta read this book soon for a class; is it a good read?
towney007 wrote:Oh and btw... to the 'duhhhhhhhh *drool* Taker don't wear no suitz~' comment: **Shows picture of Calaway in a suit**

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:28 pm

coco wrote:
Red_And_Yellow wrote:The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman.
I gotta read this book soon for a class; is it a good read?
I found it incredibly interesting. It's been almost eight months since I completed it. I think the way it's written, and the extent of detail that he goes to when describing places around the world makes it really captivating. At least it was to me anyway.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:50 pm

Contagion by John Talbott, interesting read 90 pages in. The only thing that really bothers me is the arrogance that this guy has since he predicted a few things leading to the recession.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:54 am

My wwe career by marcus bagwel i use the panthlet as a book mark when i read other books lol.

seriously though i have just finished undisputed and in my honest opinion that book made me laugh cry and feel good all in one chapter the one with his mum and her last days . To anybody who has not read this masterpiece of literacy i make this plea to read it

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Wed May 25, 2011 11:33 pm

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall.

I got word of this book from Darren Rovell on Twitter, and read other reviews online, this is a must get. I'm only 40 pages in, and I can't even put it down for more than 20 minutes at a time.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Sat May 28, 2011 6:54 am

Words and Rules, a book on the regular and irregular aspects of language, written by the linguist Steven Pinker. Absolutely engrossing stuff and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who has an interest in the nuances of how we understand and use language. I've read close to half of it in the past two days.

Aussie_Wolf
Mid Carder

Post by Aussie_Wolf » Sun May 29, 2011 9:16 pm

Just finished The Painted Man by Peter V Brett. About to get stuck into The Desert Spear which is the sequel to this amazing fantasy
SHHH! Quiet! You might piss somebody off!

coco
Mid Carder

Post by coco » Mon May 30, 2011 7:11 am

I'm about to finish The world is flat by Thomas Friedman. I'm reading it for a class and i'm glad we have to do that. It's interesting though it didn't surprise me as an eye opener. It helped to put some things in perspective and as my professor says be aware of the technology around again. We are so used to things that we think it's been like that for ever to the point we ignore technology we just react blindly. It's amusing how much much different the world was just 15 years ago, I guess that happens every time you look 15 years behind but still amazing how much connected, creative and product we've become.

As for the book itself, it goes on and on which is good for getting a message and remembering but at the same time you get the point so easily that it got a bit annoying for me because of that going on and on about certain points. I'm not an expert in writing or anything but there's something about the way the book is written that got me slightly annoyed.

Good reading overall once I finish I may read either the long tail by Chris Anderson; or Onward by Starbucks' CEO

coco
Mid Carder

Post by coco » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:59 pm

I'm reading right now "The Long Tail" by Chris Anderson. It's my first ebook which is pretty exiting for me. So far I adore this book. It's a really nice read especially for any marketer out there. I'm a music fan and his thesis is based on the evolution of the music industry so I have to say I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:21 pm

I'm reading "The Book of Basketball" by Bill Simmons. Whenever I read his columns, I always thought he was a very good writer, with a decent understanding of basketball. The more I read this book, the more I realize how MUCH basketball he knows. There are always viral campaigns to make him a GM, and while he isn't THAT good, he shows me a meaning of the game that I didn't know he possessed.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

coco
Mid Carder

Post by coco » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:00 am

I'm currently reading "The Starbucks Experience: 5 principles for turning the Ordinary into Extraordinary" by Joseph Michelli

I've read only the intro but it seems a cool little book that highlight the success of Starbucks.

templar
Developmental Talent

Post by templar » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:51 pm

I am currently reading "The Hero of the Ages", by Brandon Sanderson, book number 3 in his Mistborn-triology!

And for some reason I keep thinking of John Cena when I read the title.. ;)
If you say plz because it's shorter than please, I say no, because its shorter than yes.

Aussie_Wolf
Mid Carder

Post by Aussie_Wolf » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:42 pm

Seven Deadly Sins by Slipknot/Stonesour frontman Corey Taylor
SHHH! Quiet! You might piss somebody off!

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:53 am

Play Their Hearts Out by George Dohrmann. It's a story about George Dohrmann following around an AAU basketball team with a star player at age 11. From there it evolves into how the players develop, and how their coach Joe Keller acts. It's almost a tragic story, not done with it yet, but only 100 pages to go, and I don't see any positives for Demetrius Walker in the near future.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:58 pm

"Midnight at the Well of Souls" by Jack L.Chalker.

Found this book in the attic while installing an antenna. Never read it before, but I guess I bought it because I met the author at a film festival in Baltimore many years ago. I thought the guy was an obnoxious dick, but his work was well regarded in the sci-fi community.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:09 pm

Decided to give the A Song of Fire and Ice series by George R.R. Martin a try, never watched an episode of the show before, and haven't read a Fantasy novel since I pored over the works of J.R.R Tolkien many moons ago. Started A Game of Thrones two weeks ago, on A Storm of Swords by now, absolutely engrossing series, I can't put the books down.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

RatedRSuperstar
Hall Of Famer

Post by RatedRSuperstar » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:28 pm

Currently reading George Orwell's 1984. I had always heard what a great read it is, and I finally got my hands on a copy and thus far, I'm not remotely disappointed.

Cool people vote in the Best of the Best Tournament on the Member Games forum, I hear.