Game Of Thrones

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
Mafwanix
Title Contender

Re: Game Of Thrones

Post by Mafwanix » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:00 pm

At least the longer run times on HBO will actually be story content.
AMC and FX like to have 90 minute 'special' episodes, but in that extra half hour, you get an entire hour's worth of extra commercials and maybe 10-12 more minutes storytime.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:09 pm

Yeah, when HBO means longer episodes, they really mean it.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:32 am

Particularly for season 8, you're not going to be looking at TV episodes anymore. You're going to be looking at 6 feature-length films instead

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:35 pm

So I've heard. That prospect has me quite intrigued and I certainly won't complain about it.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:19 am

The episode last season with the Hodor/Hold the Door thing was very dramatic and cool to watch, but even after several viewings of the dvd, I still don't really understand what exactly happened?
A future event affected the past? Did Bran just witness it, or did he cause it? Is there some sort of time travel going on?
The whole thing just does not make a lot of sense to me, what am I missing?

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:55 am

The most rational explanation in my own mind is that Bran created a time paradox: His being at the center of the Hold The Door moment, combined with his just becoming the Three-Eyed Raven and not having control of his powers yet led him to cause his pleas to interact with the past (as the TER had warned Bran about interacting with Young Ned, because they can be affected by their presence in past events) and his terrified screams overtook young Hodor (who's actual name escapes me) and left him in the persistent state we know him in for the duration

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:56 am

That's pretty much what happened. Powerful wargs like Brynden Rivers (the Three Eyed Raven) are usually not seen or heard by the people of the past when they visit them, and someone who can control his powers like Rivers can was needed to teach Bran how to do things like control where his travels take him and enter and leave at will and teach him the discipline to do all this without altering anything. Of course, Bran led the White Walkers to them and was touched by the Night's King, allowing them entry into the Children of the Forest's protected cave, interfering with Rivers' work. As a result, Bran, now left to roam the past on his own and unable to withdraw at will without Rivers, can still here Meera begging him to warg into Hodor, just like any dreaming person can here someone yelling at them. However, Bran couldn't withdraw at will and confused by the yelling from Meera, started concentrating on Hodor of the past until Hodor briefly saw him. The time paradox and the attempted warging basically fried Hodor's mind in one big traumatic moment.

Also, Hodor's name is Walder in the books, meant to be a direct reference to Walder Frey, indicating that he was likely the offspring of one of Walder's children, as most of them are named either Walder or Walda. The show writers didn't think their audience would grasp this or would be confused by two people having the same name (The same reason why Asha Greyjoy is Yara in the show, to differentiate from Osha the Wildling) and so they named his Wylis.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:06 pm

HOLY SHITBALLS!

GAME OF THRONES IS BACK WITH A BANG.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:11 pm

Am I watching the replay? Why yes I am watching the replay.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:49 pm

That episode was FREAKIN' INTENSE.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:14 pm

I think Maisie Williams wants to be in a Mission Impossible movie.

Solid opening two episodes, looking forward to next week if it delivers on what it promises.

“What a strange girl you are. Flung out of space.....”

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:15 pm

Well, she's already as tall as Tom Cruise, if that helps.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:37 pm

Before we get to tonight's Game of Thrones, here's a pic of the most savage person in the entire north... And Tormund Giantsbane.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:08 pm

Well, SHIT.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:47 pm

Cersei is a stone cold bitch.

Joffrey is not the cunt of the Lannister clan. Not ever again

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:51 pm

Olenna Tyrell owns, even in death. Hardly surprising considering she comes from the same family as that fine lady Margaery. I miss her.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:09 pm

Cersei is a Cunt. Olenna is the Boss to the bitter end.

That episode summed up in two sentences.

In other news, after seven seasons, we get the biggest meeting of them all: Jon and Dany. AND two major reunions in Tyrion/Jon and the much less spectacular, Sansa/Bran.

Also, Davos is the best hand of the king. *After Dany is introduced with her dozen titles* "This is Jon Snow... He's King in the North."

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:54 pm

I can't wait for Sunday/Monday's episode.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:52 pm

I have been awaiting it most eagerly myself. I'm excited to see where it goes. It's so far off from the books, that it's more like a "What if" fanfic, so even though we are ahead of the books, I don't feel like they're spoiled for me in the least. I have no idea what is going to happen and I'm on the edge of my seat.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:51 pm

Of course, I say this with no knowledge of how good Sunday's episode is likely to be but I think there are likely to be a few combatants that would get hot under the collar.