Game Of Thrones

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Re: Game Of Thrones

Post by El Canuck » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:36 pm

We are definitely on the cusp of something HUGE. To paraphrase Roddy Piper: Dany came to kick ass and chew bubblegum and she's all out of bubblegum. While Jaime is feeling pretty smug right about now for having the better strategy than his little bro, he's made the mistake of marching the bulk of the Lannister forces out in the open fields of Westeros... A place that no one wants to meet the Dothraki in combat. Theon is heading for Dragonstone after losing the Sandsnakes, his sister and the half of the Greyjoy fleet they commanded, which happens to be where Jon is. They haven't seen each other since Jon left Winterfell for the Night's Watch and Theon's done some awful, awful things to Jon's family and Winterfell since then. Lastly, little Arya is going home, where Sansa and Bran now are. Living Stark siblings reunite!

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:36 am

Looking forward to it on Monday. I wish Sky weren't so shit with their streaming options and platform but that's another story.

“What a strange girl you are. Flung out of space.....”

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:29 pm

Apparently the next episode has already leaked online. I'm going to wait for Sunday night, regardless.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:10 pm

Quite the spicy meatball supposedly.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:00 pm

I'm hoping by the end of this season we have a definitive answer to what path lies ahead for the remaining 6 episodes. Jon and Dany continuing to fight both Cersei and the Whitewalkers would kind of be a little indecisive for the sake of these 7 episodes.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:47 pm

Bear in mind this is all conjecture and opinion from a nobody writer with delusions of being able to write plotlines:

Last episode was the beginning of the end of the LanniGaryen war. The armies of both sides are exhausted. Dany just dragged two armed forces, one Dothraki, the other Unsullied, across the narrow sea and stuck them on an island with no food resources. Outside of fishing, they can't stick around for a long, drawn out siege like Dany wants. Cersei's army are just plain done with warring. See the scene with Arya and Ser Edward of House Sheeran and notice just how done with it those Lannister men were. That scene was meant to show that they simply don't care anymore and they just want to go home. As much as Cersei thinks her army are ready for war, they're merely following orders at this point.

Yes, Cersei trimmed down Dany's numbers considerably by eliminating Highgarden's army and commander; destroying Asha's half of the Iron Fleet, and killing the last of the Martells (Making Dorne a non-factor as they have no one at the top of the chain of command now. So, unless some other house takes the reigns and desires to avenge Ellaria and the Sandsnakes or help install Dany on the Throne, the Dornish have no reason to stir) but Dany still has her entire force of foreigners. She was going to use them strategically, so the people didn't think of her as a foreign invader, but that plan is out and as we saw from the preview, Dany is done with Tyrion's clever strategies. Plus, you know, dragons.

From a plotline standpoint, the destruction of Dany's allies is both character consolidation and evening out the odds to increase the tension. We're nearing the end of a show, that while having full hour long runtimes with no commercials, still has limited overall screentime. You don't keep actors like that on the payroll for thirty seconds of dialogue and background filling for a season and a half that's going to focus on one major plotline (the Living vs. the Dead). So, trim the heroes roster, introduce a weapon that can potentially kill dragons and boom, Dany is no longer invincible, making Cersei now seem like a legit threat to her, thereby increasing the stakes when the battle commences. Win/win for what's left of the Iron Throne plot and the accountants at HBO.

Jon has stated, like a broken record, that he has no time for Cersei in any capacity and just wants to go back to the north with as much dragonglass as his ship can carry so he can fight the White Walkers. I don't know if Dany will let him go so easily, but even if he's neutral to the war in the south, that's good for Dany as it's one less (huge) kingdom she has to worry about fighting against.

I would say this episode will bring the War of the Two Queens to a boil, setting up for its climax over the next to episodes, particularly the penultimate episode of the season. The loose ends will be tied up in the last episode of the season, leaving the War To End All Wars as the sole major plot of Season eight.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:30 pm

Indeed, there are so many lingering questions, my conjecture for what it's worth: Jamie and Cersei are clearly running out of capital on the show so it would make sense to wrap up that angle by the end of these seven episodes. What remains to be seen is how many dragons she can afford to lose (Cersei is clearly trying to be Wile E Coyote with the spear shooter she ordered from ACME corporation). I'm also a tad doubtful Dany will make it to the end, I could see Jon commanding the dragons as he fights the white walkers, would make sense given his Targaryen blood.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:50 pm

Dany is making it to the end. Or at least to the final battle with the Walkers. The Dragon has Three Heads, is the book prophecy, after all. She and Jon are obviously two of those heads, being Targs and all. Head Three is likely Tyrion, as he's the other major character of both books and show. He also has a fondness for dragons and Rheagal and Viserion both seem to like him after he removed their chains.

I also have doubts about Cersei's dragon harpoon. It's good for introducing tension, but unless they have a whole bunch of them made, it remains to be seen if it can be effective. Also, it reeks of being done by the show creators and not GRRM, as it is directly lifted from the Hobbit.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:16 pm

I forgot about that bit in the Hobbit actually. Agreed, as I mentioned before she's going about with the dexterity of Elmer Fudd or Wile E Coyote.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:04 pm

"Ooooh, I'll get those wascally dwagons, if it's the wast thing I do! This harpoon will show 'em!" - Cersei Fuddister

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:26 pm

A point the shows makes quite well and that's true in real life is that it's easy to get people to care about familiar evils like we're seeing with Trump but it's a bit more difficult to get them to rally behind issues that seem distant and vague like climate change. We saw it with Jon trying to convince Dany of the threat of the white walkers. Toppling the despot of Cersei was more palpable to her than saving her Kingdom from annihilation.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:00 pm

I don't quite agree with that. Dany doesn't care about the White Walkers because they are way up north and aren't claiming possession over the Iron Throne that Dany feels was stolen from her. She doesn't really have much of a claim in my opinion and she has less right to that throne than Renly Baratheon. At least he would be claiming the throne after his oldest brother, albeit ahead of the middle brother.

Dany's family came to Westeros as outside interlopers centuries before and conquered the seven kingdoms by having big magic beasts to burn everything to a crisp. No one in Westeros had any say in the matter beyond the choice to bend the knee or die. There was no elections, no choice, just "I have big magic beasts that breathe fire so my family will be in charge henceforth for the rest of time. Neener, neener."

Her family then ruled for several centuries by birth right, incestuously coupling to maintain line purity and holding that throne by a level of fear invoked by the threat of those big magic beasties again. Harrenhall's brick walls didn't melt by a heat wave, after all. Once the dragons died out, there was not so much to keep the Targs on the throne and just as her family arrived, so did they leave, by being conquered by Robert Baratheon and his allies. If her family can conquer and claim the throne than so too must those rules apply to them and they too be conquered. Her right to the throne ended the day Jaime Lannister put a sword in her father's back. Robert conquered, so the throne goes to him. Now that he's dead and his brothers are both dead, and the children he believed were his are dead, it goes to his widow, Cersei Lannister. Since Cersei and Jaime have no heirs, the ruling line gets murky by show standards. (We don't have any other introduced Lannisters surviving in the show) But by all rights the next legitimate successor is not Dany, but her current hand of the Queen: Tyrion. Sure, Dany could conquer the throne, but until that time it doesn't make the throne hers by any sort of rights. Shit, by that logic Hot Pie has a claim to the throne as long as he can conquer it. When the long night comes and he has all the bread, he can buy an army to conquer it with that bread. How can Dany complain? He's only conquering it as her family did. "Well, he muscled his way in with an army full of bread, them's the rules. Tough luck for me, though."

Still though, Dany is undoubtedly the best of the two choices for the Iron Thrones right now. I'd support her for no other reason than she's better than Cersei, but make no mistake, neither one are top picks for the job. So, in that regard it sort of parallels the recent election in America. Cersei is Trump, Dany is Clinton. Dany won't be much, but she'll be a sight better than Cersei.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:13 am

That episode. God damn, that episode.

So good. God damn.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:46 am

Damn, that was outstanding.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:00 am

Drogon is going to need a few episodes of rehab before he can start roasting again but he'll be alright before he needs to be called on again.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:40 am

It's okay, Dany has two other dragons waiting to step in as substitutes while Drogon is recovering on Dragonstone.

I'm more worried about Jaime at this point.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:58 am

At this point, if he's gotta go he's gotta go. Given how he wasn't roasted I'm assuming he'll live to fight again.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:55 am

A video I know Nucks will appreciate. I know I did, although I would question it's assertions about the nature of the director's influence and control of what went into this episode or how it came off, that I would credit with the production team and Benioff and Weiss. They would just have so much more influence and control over a show like this.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:14 pm

I did appreciate that! Thanks for sharing it, Evan.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:13 pm

Well then. That was a fine setup for the penultimate "SHIT-GOES-DOWN" episode of the season.