Video Game Music

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
RatedRSuperstar
Hall Of Famer

Video Game Music

Post by RatedRSuperstar » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:34 am

The thread to share your favourite music to ever come from a video game. Maybe make lists and shit. Lists are fun.

Whilst discussing in the Reeking of Awesomeness Final Fantasy Thread, I realized how noticeable it is when a game has good music, and how I've always felt that Final Fantasy games are pretty damn high on the list for good music in video games. So, without further ado, I present to you:

RatedRSuperstar's Top 15 (Since 10 Was Too Hard) Final Fantasy Songs

15) Qu's Marsh: Final Fantasy IX

14) Searching for Friends: Final Fantasy VI

13) Golbez, Clad in Dark: Final Fantasy IV

12) People of the North Pole: Final Fantasy X

11) Cyan's Theme: Final Fantasy VI

10) Cosmo Canyon: Final Fantasy VII

9) Edgar and Sabin: Final Fantasy VI

8) Dancing Mad: Final Fantasy VI

7) Cid's Theme: Final Fantasy VII

6) Otherworld: Final Fantasy X

5) Rose of May: Final Fantasy IX

4) One-Winged Angel: Final Fantasy VII

3) J-E-N-O-V-A: Final Fantasy VII

2) Clash on the Big Bridge: Final Fantasy V

1) Man With the Machine Gun: Final Fantasy VII

Cool people vote in the Best of the Best Tournament on the Member Games forum, I hear.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jama7301

Re: Video Game Music

Post by Jama7301 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:38 am

#2 - Yeessssssssssssssss.

Good good list. Agree with a lot of it.

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:47 pm

My top 5 is probably 5 from Sonic The Hedgehog 2 on Mega-Drve (Genesis). Haven't played it in 20 years but I could still hum a lot of that music. THAT is a sign of good music.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:59 am

Excellent list Rates, very excellent indeed. I'll throw one of my own up sometime late tonight I would imagine.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

OneManX
Title Contender

Post by OneManX » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:53 pm

Fuck everything... This here.

Done.

/end thread

/Close Forums.
Co-Host of the WV Independent Roundtable

Master of Satsui no Hadou

ImageImage
YAO~!

Robmayn
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: sRobXMayneZe

Post by Robmayn » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:41 pm

No love for Kondo? Seriously?

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:20 pm

Five songs I really enjoyed, not an absolute list, but if I were to come up with one, these five would surely be on it:

Light Moans in the Darkness - Suikoden V

This is one of my favorite tunes in the whole game; it adds so much emotion to already sorrowful scenes. Very well done.

Corridors of Time - Chrono Trigger

It's hard to call this game anything but perfect, honestly. Square(soft) titles without Uematsu on music duties are so/so at best, but even in that category this game shines brilliantly; Yasunori Mitsuda crafted a song that's equal parts mystique and enlightenment in Corridors of Time, and it stands as one of my top songs from the soundtrack.

Amarant - Final Fantasy IX

Amarant's character reminded me of Shadow of FFVI and this tune reminds me Shadows as well. I like both themes, but I wanted to mix up the games on the list, so I chose Amarants instead.

Interrupted By Fireworks - Final Fantasy VII

One of my favorite scenes in FFVII had a beautiful track to guide us through the Golden Saucer.

Overworld/Terra's theme - Final Fantasy VI

Quite simply one of my favorite tracks in video game history, it never fails to move me to this day. The World of Ruin overworld track just doesn't quite add up to this one.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

RatedRSuperstar
Hall Of Famer

Post by RatedRSuperstar » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:53 pm

Time to dust off another favourite series of mine, complete with music that made my childhood what it was, and actually includes my first song I learned to play on guitar as an adult (naturally, song #1 on the list).

RatedRSuperstar's Top 10 Mega Man Songs

10) Heat Man: Mega Man 2

9) Bright Man: Mega Man 4

8) Gemini Man: Mega Man 3

7) Skull Man: Mega Man 4

6) Flash Man: Mega Man 2

5) Napalm Man: Mega Man 5

4) Intro: Mega Man 2

3) Dr. Wily's Castle: Mega Man 2

2) Proto Man: Mega Man 3

1) Snake Man: Mega Man 3

And, as a special bonus, here is a sig I created myself and proudly wore for many a moon on these here forums back in the old days. Mighty fine graphical design, if I do say so myself (and I do, because I'm biased).

Cool people vote in the Best of the Best Tournament on the Member Games forum, I hear.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:30 am

I highly recommend the OneUps. A jazzy band that covers video game music.

For example...

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:55 pm

Alright, here's some non-rpg video game soundtracks from the 16 bit era. First up:

Donkey Kong Country was a magnificent game, and started a great series, but a very important part of any game is the music, and DKC did very well with that. The Snow world music for example, and the underwater theme. But the final battle with King K. Rool was just plain awesome in its 16bit glory.

It's sequel, which is frustratingly difficult compared to the first, produced some fantastic themes as well, like the winter world, once again. God this all takes me back.

Nintendo's competition produced some fantastic themes in its time for its franchise games as well, like Aquatic Ruin in Sonic 2:

Then there's the crowing fighting series of the 16 Bit Era, Street Fighter II and all it's many versions. There has always been two themes from Street Fighter II that stick in my head, the first is:

Ken Masters, my favorite Street Fighter character. This song does exactly what it sets out to do, gets you in the mood to kick some ass. The other theme, and my absolute favorite from the SF series as whole is:

Simply awesome. As a bonus, here's a fake trailer an up and coming film crew did of Street Fighter. I would pay big bucks to see this movie if it was made:

Both themes are in this vid and sound AWESOME.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:37 pm

Sonic 2 had the best music in the series as far as I'm concerned.

Bar none.

RatedRSuperstar
Hall Of Famer

Post by RatedRSuperstar » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:49 am

Alrighty, here's something a little different that I'm borrowing from a Game Informer blog. I was gonna make a new thread on it, but I don't wanna isrs clutter the video games forum.

Albums that I game(d) to.
Albums and video games that I played at the same time. Technically, I didn't play all of these at the same time (some were just during the same time of my life) but I still immediately relate them to each other, so I'm counting them in the list.

ImageImage

I ran my batteries double-duty here. Between eating up countless hours playing Golden Sun (still one of my favourite RPG's, had a phenomenal time with this game) and playing System of a Down's Toxicity on repeat, I went through a small fortune in double-A batteries. To this day, memories of the Mercury Lighthouse and the song "Forest" are virtually one in the same.

ImageImage

This one is a case of "same time of my life". 8th grade, my first official "I don't give a fuck" year of school. My entire school day consisted of listening to Master of Puppets, and from the time I got home to the time I went to bed, it was all Final Fantasy IX. Despite never playing the two simultaneously, Final Fantasy IX is my immediate thought upon hearing any song play off that album.

ImageImage

I both bought and played these at the same time. My initial memories in Azeroth will always be mixed with the intense music off of Rust in Peace. I'll forever remember yelling the lyrics of the title track in-game as I blitzed people's faces off in Warsong Gulch as a troll warrior.

ImageImage

Another case of "bought and played them both at the same time". I will forever think of Eversong Woods and Ghostlands when I hear anything off of Demon Days.

ImageImage

Not sure how these two got related. When I first bought Unreal 2, I listened to about four different albums ad nausem, and The Battle of Los Angeles wasn't even one of them. Somehow though, the two mixed together in my mind, and now I can't think of "Testify" without thinking of destroying people online in Oddball mode with Szalor.

OneManX
Title Contender

Post by OneManX » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:29 am

Yeah... from Persona 4. Yeah it's more J-Pop, but this is only JRPG series I can stand these days.

And probably the best dungeon music... yes, Dungeon music. Totally fit the tone at that point in that game.

Co-Host of the WV Independent Roundtable

Master of Satsui no Hadou

ImageImage
YAO~!

RatedRSuperstar
Hall Of Famer

Post by RatedRSuperstar » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:50 pm

Wanna know the big problem with lists? Even when you're careful, you wind up accidentally omitting something. How I managed to forget this bad boy on my Final Fantasy list is beyond me. Top 5 material, at the very least, possibly even top 3.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:55 pm

YES!!

Here's one that always gets me, I even have it on my iPod, and in my opinion its the only decent track in X-2.

RatedRSuperstar
Hall Of Famer

Post by RatedRSuperstar » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:01 am

I feel like I'm missing out by having never played X-2. To be honest, the uber-J-pop-commercials always steered me right away from it. I should probably give it a shot though, since really, I've never played a Final Fantasy game that I haven't liked.

On the other hand, X might have been my least favourite Final Fantasy, so I'm torn.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:14 am

Well, you do have a love for the job system, and X-2 is the best representation of the job system in the 3-D era, albeit it's called the Dressphere system. It's the highlight of the whole game, that and that opening track. Since you like X the least it's a toss up, I loved X, and despite a girl I was dating at the time (I love dating nerdy girls) recommending I avoid X-2 like the plague I gave it a whirl. She wasn't wrong, per se, it was bad in an "I don't want people to see me playing this" kinda way, mostly due to the J-Pop music, (How could Marty Friedman leave Megadeth to make crap like that?) campy dialogue and story premise, and ruined blitzball game, but at the same time the job system and that wicked opening track made it highly enjoyable. It's my least favorite FF title, perhaps only ahead of Mystic Quest (which I own, but haven't been able to finish out of sheer boredom).

RatedRSuperstar
Hall Of Famer

Post by RatedRSuperstar » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:24 am

Yeah, the job system is one of my favourite things to ever come out of the Final Fantasy series. Maybe I'll head down to EB Games and see if I can find a copy of it, just for the sake of giving it a whirl. Plus, if they "ruined" Blitzball, they did something right. I don't even wanna get on the topic of how much I hate Blitzball.

GSDave
VIP Member
Twitter: GetSauced

Post by GSDave » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:50 am

I quite enjoyed the Blitzball sometimes. I got enjoyment out of X, but was too put off by X-2 and what I have heard. It may be worth going back and picking up a cheap copy to try at least. If it has some merits I can normally suffer through games. Particularly FF related.
David Byrne - Regional Manager - Southern Hemisphere Division

RatedRSuperstar
Hall Of Famer

Post by RatedRSuperstar » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:11 am

Question: what game series is renowned for its musical scores, often having the player partake in quite a bit of the music? I'll answer in the form of a list; specifically,

RatedRSuperstar's Top 10 Legend of Zelda Songs

10) Palace Theme: Zelda II

9) Dungeon Theme: The Legend of Zelda

8) Gerudo Valley: Ocarina of Time

7) Oath to Order: Majora's Mask

6) Lost Woods: A Link to the Past

5) Forest Temple: Ocarina of Time

4) Song of Storms: Ocarina of Time

3) Mt. Tamaranch: Link's Awakening

2) Kakariko Village: Twilight Princess

1) Ganon's Tower: Ocarina of Time

As an aside, this list may be incomplete, as I have yet to play Skyward Sword. When I play it, if I deem necessary, I will make a new (probably top 15, since this was almost as hard as the Final Fantasy list) list of Zelda songs.