Indie Rock scene, we need to talk

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
endless
Hall Of Famer

Indie Rock scene, we need to talk

Post by endless » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:08 pm

What are the words that come to mind when you think of "Rock music"? Loud. Hard. Fast. Guitars. Drums. Bass. Dangerous. Sex. Drugs. Violence. Fun. etc. I don't know about you, but I'm just old enough to remember a time when some flavor of Rock N' Rock was considered "The devil's music". Your parents shouldn't like it.

Now, I noticed something particularly interesting about my music listening habbits lately. There isn't a single "Rock band" that debuted past 2006(give or take a year or two) that I like. Sure there are plenty of rock bands that debuted before 2006(give or take a year or two) that are still making great new music. But I've yet to come across a good quality rock band that came out in 2011 or 2012 that I like. Why is that?

Well I think the reason for is that Rock N' Roll has lost it's balls.

Let me give you an example. This is what a new indie rock band at the verge of a break out year sounded like in 2003:

This is what a new indie rock band at the verge of a break out year sounds like in 2012:

Which of this is Loud. Hard. Fast. Guitars. Drums. Bass. Dangerous. Sex. Violence. Fun. etc?

Indie Rock what happened to you? Back in my day(god I feel and sound old) the indie scene is where the weird, experimental, fringe, dangerous music was made, and where the future of Rock was forged. Today it's where the boring, and uncreative act like their original while they poorly(very poorly) do what The Smiths were during 25 years ago. I'm picking on the Indie scene because that's what Rock is today. Rock isn't top 40 right now. That doesn't mean it should loose it's edge.

Grow some balls indie rock. Please. I want something new and good that will scare some parents.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Re: Indie Rock scene, we need to talk

Post by El Canuck » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:00 pm

I agree, but consider that folks our age ARE the parents of today. Most of my old high school class has kids now, some are even school age now. We grew up in the era of Pantera, Grunge, 90's Alt rock and even in the shadow of the 80's wave of metal. How can any form of our music scare the crap out of us?

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

endless
Hall Of Famer

Post by endless » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:21 pm

True, but doesn't even have to get as crazy as the 80's or 90's. I just want to have a problem with a 10 year old listening to it.

I remember the very first time I heard The Yeah Yeah Yeah's. I was just starting to listen to rock on a regular basis. At the time I basically listened to two radio stations, Z100(Top 40) and K-Rock(Rock station). K-Rock's rotation at the time basically had a lot of 80's and 90's alternative(lots of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumkins, The Smiths, etc) mixed in with new rock music. And it was a good time for new rock music. The White Stripes had just broken into the mainstream. The Hives, and The Vines got a lot of air time too. And then I heard "A date with the night!" Bam! It was a the sound of fucking chaos. Heavy drums, awesome guitar, and Karen O basically having sex. It was awesome. It basically blew everything else out of the water, and I became a life time fan of rock because of that. It's kind of sad that I might be a part of the last group of fans that will experience that.

Chrissy Benny Wah
Legend

Post by Chrissy Benny Wah » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:01 pm

Rock is just mainstream now, and it's a pretty normal behaviour that, when a certain type/style of music hits the mainstream, everybody 'follows suit', and stuff of better quality starts to stem from grassroots backgrounds, and local scenes. It happened with rap, it's happening now with dance/electronica, and around five years ago I'd wager it happened with rock. Here in Cardiff, for example, and back home, in London, there are fantastic local scenes. Bands don't have to be famous, or successful to be good. Just don't expect to find anything of particular merit on the radio.

It's all subjective anyway. Your idea of a band 'with balls' differs from other people's, anyway. It may be that 'having balls' means doing something slightly differently now. With that said, I don't think indie rock ever had balls that large. I certainly haven't heard anybody reminiscing about bands such as The Hives or The Vines as being examples of bands 'with balls'. If you have the time, check out BBC Radio 6. I listen to it all the time, and it's a fantastic station.

This thread reminds me of a performance which does have balls. Bit off topic, since they're an old band, but still pretty incredible.