List 'em: Your Top Ten Wrestling Games

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

List 'em: Your Top Ten Wrestling Games

Post by El Canuck » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:08 pm

Simple enough concept, on a video game board on a wrestling forum, this should be a natural fit. So, list 'em, any consoles, any wrestling games you enjoy. This doesn't include the simulators like EWR and TEW.

10. WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2007 (PS2/X-Box 360) - The first WWE game of the current generation, only played the PS2 version, so my comments are directed at that. This to me, was the last game before Yukes started tweaking with the formula to make each game different. Last kick at the can for the GM mode, which was WWE trying to cash in on the popularity of the simulators by simulating brand rivalry rather than promotional rivalries, but the mode was still largely broken, the easiest way to win was to use the same card every show and not change a thing, really. But, it had the first decent version of Curt Hennig since WCW/nWo Revenge had him as an unlockable.

9. WWE Day of Reckoning 2 (GameCube) - During the GCN/Xbox/PS2 Generation, each console had its own line of WWE games with its own unique engine. GameCube got WMX8, WMXIX, and the two Day of Reckoning titles. They were trying to closely mimic the No Mercy engine, but the first two games really left a lot to the imagination, and WMXIX was just plain goofy with its storyline (Although that hanging cage over the water was a fun match) but the DoR's really gave the fans with GameCube's two solid outings and the last one had a fantastic storyline and was obviously the most polished.

8. WCW vs. nWo World Tour (N64) - My first 3D wrestling game experience. I must of spent the worth of this game renting it from Blockbuster, not to mention late fees because Blockbuster was an hour away and I didn't want to bring it back. It had a large roster of WCW, nWo and international workers, a few unlockables, and a highly replayable championship mode.

7. WWF Raw is War (SNES/Genesis/32X) - The 3rd in the only game series LJN did well, Raw is War was their last foray into wresting games, and they got it right on the last going out. Good roster, although to this day I don't see why Luna made the cut as the lone female. Certainly made her seem out of place. They could of easily put in Ludvig Borga, Bob "Sparky Plugg" Holly, or another decent mid-carder that was on the roster at the time. It had the most game modes of any LJN game, boasted a fun, albeit simple, button masher engine and had the biggest variety of move sets for their games. It was also the last decent outing we got with Owen Hart as a character. (War Zone, Attitude and Showdown: Legends of Wrestling were all various shades of awful).

6. WWF WrestleMania Challenge (NES) - Some of you might automatically be thinking that this is the awful NES WrestleMania game that everyone hates, but it's not, it's the oft overlooked sequel.
SpoilerShow
This game actually boasted nine wrestlers (8 roster regulars, one "yourself" character), the first 6 man tag option, and varied, but small move sets for each wrestler. It was my first wrestling game, and still sticks out in my memory as being incredibly fun. It even had decent sounding 8 bit themes for each wrestler. And it's hard mode was difficult in a good way, rather than a cheap way.

5. Saturday Night Slam Masters (SNES) - Street Fighter with Final Fight's movement and grappling and a ring is how I'd describe this game. It even has Final Fight's Haggar as a character. It was my absolute favourite wrestling game on the SNES, one I finished with each different character just to see the animation of them with the belt. It was the first game I saw on a home console that boasted a dozen different looking rings, it had a colourful roster that were each unique in their own way, and a great two player tornado tag team mode.

4. WCW/nWo Revenge (N64) - I plugged more hours on this wrestling game than any other besides #1 on the list. This game was the best in its time. When WWE was declaring Attitude as its game, WCW, which was on top of the wrestling world, put out a game to compliment its short lived position. It had a huge roster of both WCW guys and New Japan and All Japan workers (albeit with altered costumes and names), a challenging, though simple Championship mode, and the first well done inclusion of a multi-man battle royal.

3. Fire Pro Wrestling (GBA) - I could of included both of the GBA titles, because they're virtually the same game, with minor alterations to the rosters and one or two game mode changes. They're both incredible games, great variety of rosters, excellent create-a-wrestler options, great modes for unlocking characters, great game mechanics, and graphics that make full use of the GBA's capabilities.

2. WWF No Mercy (N64) - If you were to tally the hours I spent playing wrestling games on Nintendo 64, the other two on this list and WM 2000 probably have more hours logged, but that's only due to the fact that they came out sooner. No Mercy was basically the pinnacle of AKI/Asmik Ace's wrestling games. It had everything you could of wanted, from an incredible roster of the top promotion of one of wrestling's biggest era's since the inception of video games. You had a wide variety of exhibition game modes that were expansive for the game's time, a survival mode that was a pure patience tester, the best create-a-wrestler around and the still talked about Championship mode. What else could you want from it? (Besides Hell in a Cell, which was not something that gen of consoles could pull off without sacrifices, see SmackDown 2's Hell in the Cell, which was just a regular cage with a top on it.)

1. Fire Pro Wrestling Returns (PS2) - No other wrestling game has claimed more of my time than Fire Pro Returns. It proved with gusto that the best graphics don't equal the best game. It used graphics that probably could of sufficed on the SNES, added a massive roster and more customizable options than you could shake a stick at. Even though it didn't have anything to unlock, it still had an interesting promotion manager mode. To top it all off, the Fire Pro engine is still the best wrestling game engine, in my opinion. Absolutely unrivaled, no matter what WWE does.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

BioticZombie
Legend

Re: List 'em: Your Top Ten Wrestling Games

Post by BioticZombie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:17 pm

SvR 2008 had GM mode.
Image Image

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:18 pm

So it did, with the ECW brand thrown in, now that I recall. It was still broken too, now that I recall.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

BioticZombie
Legend

Post by BioticZombie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Yup. Don't know why I even mentioned it because of how bad that game is often considered the worse of the SVR era.

However, when I bought it on some random whim in 2010, my cousins and I had so much fun playing it. That game is the reason I got into wrestling again.
Image Image

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:01 pm

It got a lot of bad rep because they changed the grapple system from the buttons to the right joystick. That was the only major change, and once you got accustomed to it (which they kept until SVR 2011) it played perfectly fine.

BioticZombie
Legend

Post by BioticZombie » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:07 am

Actually Nucks, 07 was the first to implement the joystick grappling system.

08 presented a watered down version of that, but the main reason it was bashed because it tried to pass off "24/7 mode", which was pretty much the worst story mode for any wrestling game in the last 10 years.

2007 was very linear with very few branching element, however, you could at least always find something new in each playthrough. 08 was nothing like this. You had pretty much a decision between two storylines and that was only because you could choose between Smackdown and Raw. None of the feuds really made sense. They just...happened?

Not to mention you'd get the generic cutscenes after every match and it was just nauseating. You also had to a lot of pointless shit on the calendar for 24/7 mode just to up your stats.

The graphics were dandy, but gameplay was watered down and it became noticeably a lot more robotic than its predecessors. You had the new "Wrestler Abilities" which was retarded because it wasn't balanced at all. You only could have two abilities and most of them sucked. The only one that mattered was the Showman one because you could essentially store a finisher.
Image Image

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:30 am

That's all true, now that you spark my memory, but I also recall that in '07 you could still switch back to the button grapples, '08 forced the change to the right joystick.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Post by Big slim » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:22 am

SVR 2008 was a piece of shit, easily the worst of all the SVR games.

Anywho, here is my list, most will be WWE games as they are the only wrestling games I have owned:

1. WWF No Mercy (N64)- Loved spending hours playing this games. Huge roster, fun championship/story mode, and this game was awesome. WWF def. redeemed themselves after those awful pieces of dog shit in War Zone and Attitude. Might be the best WWF game of the Attitude Era.

2. WCW/nWo Revenge (N64)- I think I played this about the same as No Mercy. WCW was on top of the world and they put out a couple of outstanding games during this time. I still enjoy playing this game to this day, it has really stood the test of time and I'd put this up against any wrestling that has come out since.

3. WWE Day of Reckoning (Gamecube)- Like Nucks said, this game gave Gamecube owners (like myself) a unique playing experience. I really enjoyed the story mode where you created player would start from the bottom (Developmental) and work his way to Raw or Smackdown, join either Evolution or the New Ministry, game the Tag title, then the mid card title, and then finally win the big belt at Mania. Excellent game, only wish I could've played the sequel, I may have to aquire a Gamecube and play it.

4. WCW vs. nWo World Tour (N64)- Another fun outing by WCW. Introduced a lot of new wrestlers to me that I wasn't familiar with. Fun championship mode and a dynamite roster.

5. WWF Smackdown! Just Bring It (PS2)- First game I ever got for the PS2. Fun Create A Superstar mode and a very good roster. I wasn't able to keep this game to long for other reasons but I really enjoyed playing it.

6. WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2006 (PS2)- Outstanding story mode and a really fun roster. A big step up from the first SVR and a great addition to the family.

7. WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2007 (PS2)- See my reasoning for 2006 and I'll just add that it was really fun getting to play as both Bam Bam and Mr. Perfect.

8. WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2010 (PS3)- The last really fun SVR game, had several fun story modes and it was the last game to feature Umaga. Loved playing this game.

9. WWE '13 (PS3)- A few more years have to pass by to see if this game stands up to time. But this was a major step up from WWE '12, great roster, with damn good graphics. And of course, the Attitude Era mode was a fun trip down memory lane.

10. WWE Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth (PS2)- Another fun Smackdown game with a nice size roster and an interesting story mode.

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:22 am

Good list, Slim, what about Here Comes the Pain? I've heard a lot of people list that as their absolute favourite of the SmackDown games.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:36 pm

Like DoR 2 I didn't get to play Here Comes the Pain much, so I can't really comment on it.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:46 pm

Ah. It was my favourite of the SmackDown games, that's for sure. You'd get it for a few bucks nowadays too, and aside from the dated roster it holds up fairly well, so I'd even say give it a go.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jama7301

Post by Jama7301 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:23 pm

I remember Smackdown vs Raw 2008 having some cool bonus content. The Batista/Undertaker Wrestlemania match on the second disk was a nice touch.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:52 pm

I'll have to track that match down. It is one of my favorite Streak Challenges.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:22 pm

Here are my top 10 wrestling video games

1.WWF Super Wrestlemania for snes
2.WWF Royal Rumble for snes
3.WWF Raw for snes
4.WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game for snes
5.WCW NWO Revenge for n64
6.WWF War Zone for n64
7.WWF Attitude for n64
8.ECW Game for n64
9.WCW Mayhem for n64
10.WWF No Mercy for n64

I can't believe nucks didnt mention Raw for snes on his :(

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:28 pm

Super WrestleMania/Royal Rumble/Raw is War all hold a special place in my heart, but they don't age well, I have the latter two in my collection, but rarely do they ever get played.