AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Re: The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Thread

Post by AndyF1069 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:09 pm

I'm quite envious. See you in a couple of weeks

Also, modern technology is amazing

https://i.redd.it/wdfa0er437jy.jpg
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:42 pm

Ain't it, though? Imagine how small that would look next to the old NES Zelda games.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:17 pm

In playing Breath of the Wild and trying to figure out where it fits in the convoluted Zelda timeline, I've reached a working hypothesis. First, context: The timeline is barely coherent as it is and to save myself time in explaining the whole thing, I'm just going to put this link here and if anyone is so inclined, they can read up on it themselves: https://zeldawiki.org/Timeline

As it is, the first two Zelda NES games were designated to be the final two games and nearly everything that was released after, was a prequel of some sorts up until Ocarina of Time came along and introduced three new timelines: A) Link fails to save Hyrule in OoT. B) Adult Link's life after saving Hyrule and C) Child Link's life after saving Hyrule. I posit that Breath of the Wild belongs in timeline A, in a new sub-branch after Link's Adventure where he and Zelda have failed to stop Ganon's revival. It's basically the only thing that fits, given the story that's unfolded thus far.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:40 pm

Breath of the Wild is the biggest break in the Zelda formula since Link's Awakening (and the formula wasn't really established back then). It's one part Twilight Princess, one part Skyrim, with a touch of Wind Waker's cel-shading (but not the overly cutesy animations and characters) and stirred lightly.

It's such a fascinating and thoroughly enjoyable game on its own and the Zelda lore just makes the experience that much more enjoyable. So far, I give it the full five stars. We'll see how I feel closer to the end and after completion.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jama7301

Post by Jama7301 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:32 pm

Breath of the wild is one of the best games I've played in a long ass time
The fact that the physics behaves so uniformly is fantastic and allows for so many clever ways to solve problems.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:03 pm

The gameplay is absolutely incredible, to say the least, and the physics just makes it practically flawless.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:09 pm

I'm going to link this in spoilers, but it highlights whats great. Instead of the normal solution...

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:34 pm

Yep, I've solved a few shrines with outside the box thinking myself.

Oh, before I forget, spoiler tags don't work properly in the new forum for some reason and despite the URL tags, it wasn't going to show as more than a link anyway.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:41 pm

Deeeelightful.

Thanks, new forum theme.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:31 pm

There's two now, both in black-on-white and neither one has working spoiler tags. I prefer the black-on-white, my eyesight really does, anyway.

Back to the topic at hand: I currently have the Master Sword and all four Guardians beaten, currently collecting memories and locating the rest of the shrines that I don't already have. There's just so much damn stuff to do in this game.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:01 pm

I haven't even beaten a single Divine Beast. I spend a lot of time climbing and exploring. I did just reach Zora's Domain (beautiful city), and I'm just doing prep for the beast.

Shield Surfing is the best.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:39 pm

I spent a heck of a lot of time climbing and exploring before I ever attempted a beast too, there's just so much to see in this game and it never gets boring.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:05 pm

Admittedly, I only discovered shield surfing last night. I thought you meant surfing in the Gerudo desert with the sand seals. And yes, shield surfing is awesome, it's my new favourite way to get around.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:26 pm

I aalways keep a rusty Shield around for surfing. It's hell on durability, but I can cover some ground with that busted up old thing.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:35 pm

I'm at the point where I don't have a shield in my inventory with a rating less than thirty. I just use the lowest shield for surfing. It seems that at that level, the shields can endure a ridiculous amount, or a single blow from the mini-boss types like Guardians and Lynel's. No middle ground. So, I typically don't worry about it, as I won't use a shield against anything that strong anyway.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:15 pm

If you jump off a ledge whIle surfing, and then paraglide, you can cover a lot of distance, due to momentum, and drop out of gliding to continue sliding.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:09 pm

Indeed, it's quite the means of getting around. Did you get a Switch Jama or are you playing Zelda on the Wii U?

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:57 pm

Wii U. I'm waiting for a good bundle wo pick up the Switch. Maybe one for Mario Odyssey or something.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:51 pm

Likewise, I just can't justify shelling out for a Switch just yet. If I get another console any time in the future, it will likely be a PS4 anyway.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:09 pm

Well, I'm at the point where I have all guardians defeated, the Master Sword in hand (and the Hylian Shield to boot) and all shrines beaten. I'm pretty much just collecting Korok seeds and gear at this point. The one thing I will say that's not glowing about this game: I feel like there were too many shrines that were simply "A modest/major Test of Strength" against the mini-guardians. It got the point where I would enter a shrine, the title of the shrine would flash overhead and I'd go "Aww, not again". That's about the lone complaint I have for the entire game. It's damn near perfect.