Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
BioticZombie
Legend

Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Post by BioticZombie » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:19 pm

Yes, the best gaming system on the market deserves its own thread. I know you guys shared your friend codes on another thread, but I figured this oughta be the home to all 3DS-related discussion.

Current versions:
- Nintendo 3DS
- Nintendo 3DSXL
- Nintendo 2DS
Image Image

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jama7301

Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Post by Jama7301 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:55 pm

My 3DS library is small at the moment,
Fire Emblem Awakening
Pokemon Y
Link's Awakening (eshop)
Girlfriend got me Shin Megami Tensei IV for Christmas as well, so I'll be diving into that over break.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:11 pm

I just have a DS, and three games: Super Mario 64 DS, Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and Final Fantasy III

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

BioticZombie
Legend

Post by BioticZombie » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:23 pm

Definitely getting Fire Emblem, Pokemon X (a friend's getting Y), Animal Crossing, and LoZ: A Link Between Worlds.

I'm most excited about Pokemon for some reason, and I don't think it's the fandom on the internet.
I just really really look forward to playing it and I have no clue why.
Image Image

BioticZombie
Legend

Post by BioticZombie » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:33 pm

El Canuck wrote:I just have a DS, and three games: Super Mario 64 DS, Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and Final Fantasy III
That's last gen Nucks. If you're gonna purchase anything next-gen first, I highly recommend the 3DS. I've been on it non-stop.
Image Image

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:34 pm

I want one just to play ALoZ: A Link Between Worlds. So, it likely will be a purchase at some point in the next year.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

BioticZombie
Legend

Post by BioticZombie » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:36 pm

I seriously can't wait to pick it up either. But do you not have any interest in picking up the other titles it offers?
Image Image

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:44 pm

Not really. The Mario ones look interesting, but I find they have next to no challenge. I haven't been in to a Pokemon game since Silver/Gold era, and I haven't heard any updates on Final Fantasy VI being remade. So, there's not much there that's grabbing my attention.

BioticZombie
Legend

Post by BioticZombie » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:53 pm

My cousins, who've been Pokemon followers since their gameboy colors think the Pokemon X&Y installment is the best in the series.

I'm not even a Pokemon fan, and it's absolutely the game I'm most hyped over.

As for other RPG's, there's Fire Emblem: Awakening. Honestly, Nucks, that game has been lauded out of the ass. I'm looking forward to playing it as well.

- Mario & Luigi Dream Team
- Kingdom Hearts 3DS
- Paper Mario: Sticker Star
- Etrian Odyssey IV

Those are only the RPG titles I've listed. How have you not bought this?
Image Image

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:59 pm

I've never been big on the Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi series', not really my thing in terms of RPG's; Kingdom Hearts falls into that category as well, but I'd be more inclined to play that, and I've never heard of Etrian Odyssey. I'm just not big on portable games anyway. I find looking at the smaller screen for prolonged periods to be detrimental to my vision. If/when they make an add-on for the Wii-U, you'd better believe I'd be all up in that RPG library then. Until such a point, I'll have to stick with PS1 and SNES RPG's for my RPG fix.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:02 pm

Etrian Odysseey is interesting because it forces you to make your own map, and has some interesting depth, based off my experience with the demo.

The Shin Megemi Tensei games are JRPGs with a horror slant (SMT4 and Devil Survivor). There's also Tales of the Abyss a port of the fantastic PS2 RPG.

Are there rumblings pda FFVI remake? I don't know if they'd do that at this time.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:04 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VI#Legacy

It and FF V were both in talks to be remade for the 3DS at one point, though it seems to be off the table now.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:07 pm

Interesting.

On the topic of more 3DS games, I want to get the next Professor Layton game. That's such a fantastic series for Nintendo.

BioticZombie
Legend

Post by BioticZombie » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:16 pm

Just a perspective on the 3DSXL's size.

Oh! And my monitor is 26 inches(?). That's the 3DS pressed against it.
Image Image

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:53 pm

That's dual screens though. The individual screens are still pretty small. My DS hasn't been booted up in well over a year now, at this point.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:39 pm

Here's a full list of 3DS RPG's available in North America:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/list-48?region=1

Not too shabby, all in all, but I much prefer the PS1, SNES and even the DS lists:

PS1: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/list-48?region=1

SNES: http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/list-48?region=1

DS: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/list-48?region=1

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:08 am

SMT4 might be one of the most unforgiving games I've ever played. Persona wasn't this bad, and there were some dickhole bosses in that game.

(god, talking about SMT as a series is weird, because there's the main line games (1-4), and then all the other franchises from the company bear Shin Megami Tensei in the names (i.e. Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3))

Die the first time, get introduced to the death mechanics. Guy charged me like, 350 bucks to be revived. I only had 200 or so an hour in, so he put it on a tab, to claim when I had the money.

Second time I died, the game basically called me a pussy, and said "now you can choose an easier difficulty from the options menu". Fuck you game. I will NOT take the bait.

Third time I died, he took 8 Play Coins (the 3DS currency that you gain by walking around. Used primarily in the build-in games that use streetpass and your Mii.). Next time, He wanted 1000 dollars. I had 250. Money does not come easy in this game.

The real kicker is that when you get resurrected, it's not with full health or anything. Your party is in the exact state you were in before the fight that killed you. So if you were trying to escape to the surface to heal you and your demons, and you got blindsided by a randomly spawned monster, you're going to comeback with a decimated team and no items, plus a lighter wallet (either now, or when you have the cash).

I think the last game that was this strict about death that I played was Demon's Souls.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:58 am

That is a touch ridiculous.

Also, I just noticed my post/sig in the background of BZ's shot. Neat.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:00 pm

It's not as ridiculous as other games. It does instill that extra bit of caution into the game though. There has been no hand holding in terms of gameplay so far. It's very possible to lose in the tutorial.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:12 pm

It's no Contra without the Konami code is what you're saying.