Poetry and lyrics

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Re: Poetry and lyrics

Post by El Canuck » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:05 pm

That's interesting, I had thought everyone in the band was Irish aside from the lead. I like the lyrics of that one, though I can't get behind the chorus, for obvious reasons.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:34 pm

I'm not much for religion myself, but I love the song specifically because it's not preachy. Rather than trying to brainwash the listener, he's telling us the story of the physical journey that he made in search of spirituality (the mansion on the Boyne referring to Newgrange in the Irish midlands, for example). All of these places are special to him in different ways and make him feel closer to God. Even those of us who aren't religious surely either have or would like to have those peaceful places that we go to when in search of something deeper in life. In this case, that search is religious, but God could symbolise any triumphant discovery. It's a personal song, but the situation should have a global appeal.

Give it a listen if you haven't already. A lot of the appeal to me is in how it's sung, rather than just the lyrics.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:05 pm

That's an excellent synopsis of the song. I'll definitely give it a listen after supper.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:11 am

Blind Melon play no small role in my love of the 90's Alternative/Grunge sound and this song bolsters that:

Inside, pain in my heart often made her cry
Outside, I cursed the birds and the sugar sky
How long take to realize she's the one
How long until I find my lost and lonely soul one

She was my soul one
She felt like the only one
She was the sun, the sky blue eyes
She was my soul one

Should have never taken the time
'Cause I found myself living a lonely lie
You said, you left to find yourself
But I never, no I never got the chance to say good-bye

Soul One
Blind Melon
Nico

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:25 am

That's my absolute favourite Blind Melon song, and the first one I learned to play. Also a huge fan of Mouth Full of Cavities (possibly due to my own dental issues), and Soup. Both of those have very similar song structures, actually.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:57 am

That's awesome, my own Blind Melon top three are 1. Cavities 2. Change 3. Soul One

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:05 am

I love Smith and Myers version of this classic:

Looks like nothing's gonna change
Everything still remains the same
I can't do what ten people tell me to do
So I guess I'll remain the same, listen

Sittin' here resting my bones
And this loneliness won't leave me alone, listen
Two thousand miles I roam
Just to make this dock my home, now

I'm just gon' sit at the dock of a bay
Watchin' the tide roll away, ooh
Sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time

(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay
Otis Redding
The Dock of the Bay

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:18 am

That's one of their covers we can definitely agree on. Love the guitar flairs thrown into the main riff, and the vocal lines have so much swing to them. I often find that the vocals in their covers are a little too precise to carry the emotion of stripped down acoustic playing (he's far better suited to a full band, in that regard), so Motown and soul work really well for them, because the syncopated rhythms, slides, and slurs are built right into the songs.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:21 am

I disagree there, I see your point, but you can't listen to their cover of Pearl Jam's Black or Adele's Someone Like You and tell me Smith doesn't deliver emotionally.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:39 am

Just fired up their cover of Black, and yes, I absolutely can say that he doesn't deliver emotionally. There's no dynamic range at all, and every single word is pronounced with unflinching clarity. He's got an impressive voice, for sure, with the ability to hit a wide range of pitches perfectly, but he sounds like a robot reading the code for the song, rather than SINGING it.

I'm not alone in these thoughts, either. Here are some comments from just the first page of them:

"love shinedown, but there is just no feeling in this cover of a very powerful song. would have left this one out."

"I don't know that they quite captured the emotion behind the song"

"For someone who puts so much emotion into his vocals I was kinda suprised to not hear very much in this...he's in key but it just doesn't seem like he's really into like other stuff"

"I'm a bigger Shinedown fan than a Pearl Jam fan, but this cover wasn't able to match Pearl Jam. He sounded good, but he didnt put as much emotion into it as Eddie did. Listen to "What a Shame" by Shinedown, Brent should've sang like that for this."

I'll give the Adele cover a listen.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:48 am

I await your review.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:48 am

Now that one f'n nailed it. Much, much better performance. Had a great ebb and flow, and he played around with the timing a little bit, singing just off the beat at times, for punctuation. The video captured the differences perfectly. Just compare how much more animated he is singing "Someone Like You", how he kept pulling away from the lyric sheet, and the way his facial expression kept changing. THAT was powerful singing. Reminded me a lot of their "Blue on Black" cover, which was outstanding.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:01 am

Loved the Blue on Black one too. I can see your points now that I'm rewatching the actual video for Black. To me, the only weak one of the two albums was London's Calling. I thoroughly enjoyed all the others and thought he delivered vocally and emotionally on all of them, albeit at differing levels as each song appealed to his emotions differently.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:07 am

The difference could be as simple as which one of them suggested the song. It's understandable that Smith would give a more personal performance for the songs that he was moved by enough to want to do, versus songs he's doing for his buddy.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:09 am

The entire arrangement was voted on by the fans of their Facebook page. I'd say they both compiled a sizable list and the fans whittled them down to the dozen they covered.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:20 am

Sure, but the two of them put together the list for fans to vote on. Just judging by how much difference there is in Smith's focus on the lyric sheet, I'm guessing that the emotional range of his vocals are heavily dependent on his comfort with each song.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:23 am

I would definitely agree that that is likely the case.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:57 am

You can't take 90's alternative and grunge without talking about this artist and this album in particular:

I want you to know, that I'm happy for you
I wish nothing but the best for you both
An older version of me
Is she perverted like me
Would she go down on you in a theatre
Does she speak eloquently
And would she have your baby
I'm sure she'd make a really excellent mother

'cause the love that you gave that we made wasn't able
To make it enough for you to be open wide, no
And every time you speak her name
Does she know how you told me you'd hold me
Until you died, till you died
But you're still alive

And I'm here to remind you
Of the mess you left when you went away
It's not fair to deny me
Of the cross I bear that you gave to me
You, you, you oughta know

You Oughta Know
Alanis Morissette
Jagged Little Pill

What teenager or twentysomething DIDN'T have this album back then? It screams of the angst of Alternative that booted party-hardy 80's Rock and Hair metal out the door and said "The Kid's Aren't Alright.". Alanis brought the female fury in this album and lead the way with this song. This was not only a hit album, this was her coming out of her dance music cocoon and joining the rest of the sick and tired youth of her era. Alanis, The Cranberries, Garbage, these were the women of the Alt scene saying "We've got issues too, and we're going to talk."

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:35 pm

I eas a teenager who didn't have that album, but I wasn't a regular customer of music.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:41 am

This is one of my absolute favourite songs, and because of the namesake month and its cold precipitation and how I'm feeling coming out of a recent long talk with a certain someone I feel strong feelings for, it can't be more apt:

When I look into your eyes
I can see a love restrained
But darlin' when I hold you
Don't you know I feel the same

'Cause nothin' lasts forever
And we both know hearts can change
And it's hard to hold a candle
In the cold November rain

~

If we could take the time
to lay it on the line
I could rest my head
Just knowin' that you were mine
All mine

So if you want to love me
then darlin' don't refrain
Or I'll just end up walkin'
In the cold November rain

~

I know it's hard to keep an open heart
When even friends seem out to harm you
But if you could heal a broken heart
Wouldn't time be out to charm you

~

And when your fears subside
And shadows still remain
I know that you can love me
When there's no one left to blame
So never mind the darkness
We still can find a way
'Cause nothin' lasts forever
Even cold November rain

November Rain
Guns N' Roses
Use Your Illusion I