DoTA 2

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
Robmayn
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: sRobXMayneZe

DoTA 2

Post by Robmayn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:40 pm

Are there any DoTA 2 players in here? The game is free to play, so I though maybe some of you may play it.

With The International 4 ending giving 1 million dollars to each of the chinese kids that won the tournament, I feel pumped to start doting again.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Re: DoTA 2

Post by El Canuck » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:44 pm

Question: What is DoTA? You might want to spell out the abbreviation at least once so people have a clue what you're talking about.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Post by AndyF1069 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:48 pm

The game is referred to as dota in both typed up and verbal form.

It stands for defense of the ancients, which was initially a warcraft 3 mod and started the moba genre which games like league of legends are based on.

Since it's no longer affiliated with warcraft, the defense of the ancients name isn't appropriate.

I got a million dota keys through steam and ended up trying the game for about 5 minutes. It didn't mesh will with my pc and I haven't tried it since.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:50 pm

They should change the name altogether rather than lazily sticking with a meaningless acronym.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:00 pm

It's an established name, no harm in keeping the acronym which it was referred to as anyway.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

Robmayn
Hall Of Famer

Post by Robmayn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:17 pm

Yeah, it was DoTA then and is DoTA now. The difference is that DoTA 2 was made purely by Valve so they have no legal problem with Blizzard "commercializing" the game. And it is one of the best profitable games there are, not only for Valve, but for their community as they can earn some really good money from it as well. (The almost 11 million dollars prize pool of this year The International was paid mostly by the community).

Even League of Legends does the same by simply being called LoL at times.

Andy, there are visual options on the menu so your can play it. The default options are set at Optimum, but you can lower them, take out texture and shadow quality and you will be able to play it fine. My 6 years-old laptop with a shitty graphics chip was able to play it. It looked like shit, but it could play it.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:45 pm

I usually check the settings of any game before I play them, so I'm likely to have tried that.

Dota doesn't really interest me honestly. Heroes of the Storm has my eye, but LoL and Dota don't keep my attention.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:49 pm

When you say Warcraft you mean Warcraft before WoW, as in Real time strategy? So, that's what DoTA is?

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:00 pm

The original dota was a mod of Warcraft 3 (the rtsrpg). It used the game engine to create a tower defense game (moba). It gained a cult following and became so huge that as stated, it developed into its own game which is now dota 2 (with 10 years between 1 and 2).

The gameplay is like what you get with league of legends.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jama7301

Post by Jama7301 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:03 pm

Dota, if its like the game it inspired League of Legends, is a 5 on 5 strategy game where each player controls a hero, each with their own abilities and stats. Your goal is to destroy the enemy's base using your auto generated minions. The game becomes less about micro managing (starcraft and watercraft) and more about counterplay, and teamwork. As you kill enemy heroes and minions, you get money that you buy items with, that buff stats and give other effect.

At the start of each game, every hero is at level 1, so being a higher leveled player usually doesn't mean much,except a skill gap that you earned by playing the game.

Mind you, this is just a very basic explanation of the game.

Robmayn
Hall Of Famer

Post by Robmayn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:11 pm

It is like a Real Time Strategy game, but here you normally only control one unit with special and unique abilities called Hero, God, Legend or whatever (some other units can be controlled or gained temporarly with game items and abilities). You gain Experience to power up your abilites and gold to get items that will enchance those abilites or give you new ones. The game is competed in a 5 vs 5 scenerio with the winner team being the one that manages to advance destroying towers and the enemy base before the other one.

Due to this team and competetive feature, it is considered an e-sport.

Oh, and don't underestimate microing. At least on DoTA, it is what separates casual players from the pros, you need to use it to get map control and get the most from the jungle and unit farming.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:16 pm

Sounds interesting, now that I know what it is. Thank you for the explanations, I was genuinely curious.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:38 pm

I've never played DOTA, of either variety. I mainly dabble in League of Legends. I used to play regularly, back in 2010-2011, but then I just sort of stopped.

Due to how competative these games are, the communities surrounding them can be... less than desirable. Playing games with Random people can sometimes be frustrating, due to them all being experts of course, and you should get on their level, etc.

There's also a very un-newcomer friendly practice called "Smurfing", where people who have hit the player level cap will create a low level account just to stomp on newbies. Because the skill gap is more of a skill gulf, it makes it harder to learn the ropes, when you're being yelled at by an experienced player who's just there to curbstomp. This I have seen in League, but I'm not sure if it's a problem in DOTA2. My friends are guilty of this, and I just sigh and shake my head, because they could be actively deterring people from playing this game.

Robmayn
Hall Of Famer

Post by Robmayn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:45 pm

Well, there is training, public matches and ranked matches. If people smurf on Training that's reaaally pathetic as it is a very limited kind of play. (You need to pass through all the training to finally enter the real matches). On public you can meet with any kind of people, I think it depends on the kind of level you have.

But ranked matches are supposed to balance the game in stuff like there will be good AND bad players with the same skills. And you need 10 ranked games to determine your own rank. And there are also Ranked Team Matches, in which the team itself has a rank and it faces you against other teams with the same rank.

You can try it, it is free to play at least. But you should go through the training first. With more than 100 characters to choose from and lots of items that build into other items, it is hard to get at least the basics.

This Kotaku editor tried DoTA 2 on a week and wrote all her experiences on an article. Check it out is so funny specially once you already had played DoTA for a while.

http://kotaku.com/my-first-63-hours-wit ... 1599236453

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:50 pm

See, that's kinda why I steer away from massively multiplayer online games anyway. I just don't have the time these people do to consistently sink into one game and get to a point where I can enjoyably play. I prefer just playing single player on my own or locally with friends (which never happens anymore, they have less time than I do to spend on gaming). MMO just seems like a horde of angsty teengers with literally nothing else to do but play these games until they're absolute experts that just maul everyone else.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:13 pm

The hyper-competitive-to-the-point-of-madness attitude probably stems from the fact that the game relies so heavily on your 4 teammates, and that each game can take between 20 and 60 minutes. Some people just take it to far, and threaten their own teammates. It's part of the reason why I got out of League of Legends. I was sick of putting up with bullshit from random people over a game. Now I'll only play occasionally with a team of friends. Much more enjoyable, and easier to coordinate over Skype that way.

Robmayn
Hall Of Famer

Post by Robmayn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:01 pm

Ah, yeah, forgot LoL doesnt has voice chat. The good thing about DoTA is that you can use your mic. It is so much better that way. That is, if your team speaks the same language as you, of course.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:02 pm

Fitting - Dota 2 explained by somebody who has never seen dota 2

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2014/07/23/dot ... e=facebook

I have an edit button. Did I have an edit button before? I forget which board was missing it.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:08 pm

Offtopic and Sports are the only one's missing an Edit button. Has a 15 minute window everywhere else.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:30 pm

I'm not missing an edit button, that's the point. This sub board is off topic.