The Absurdly Awesome Anime Thread!

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

The Absurdly Awesome Anime Thread!

Post by El Canuck » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:23 pm

I recently started watching some Anime on Netflix and I'm starting to kinda, wanna get back into watching all sorts of it regularly again now that I know just how much of it is on Netflix.

Currently I'm checking out a series from 2009 called The Legend of the Legendary Heroes. It's quite a bit of fun, it doesn't take itself too seriously but has some impressive action sequences and snappy dialogue.

Anyone else here a fan of Anime? Any shows you'd recommend, any favourites or recent watches?

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

GooberBM
VIP Member

Re: The Absurdly Awesome Anime Thread!

Post by GooberBM » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:29 pm

How far back are you looking to go? My anime phase ended around '09-'10 so I don't really know much about the current crop of anime, but I could suggest some stuff from around '04 to then that if you can search it out was various levels of awesome sauce

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:39 pm

I'd like to keep closer to the older Anime shows, like Gundam Wing, Escaflowne, that sort of thing. I also have a tendency to prefer Sword and Steel types over Sci-Fi.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jama7301

Post by Jama7301 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:50 pm

Sword Art Online is sort of a mix between Fantasy and SciFi. VR MMO turns lethal. Kind of like a more modern, better (in my opinion), .hack.

Then again, the only .hack I watched was like, the Legend of the Twilight Bracelet series.

I think it's still on Netflix, but not 100% certain.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:02 pm

Also keeping in mind that American Netflix and Canadian Netflix are two different beasts. What yours might have mine probably doesn't. For some reason, Canadian Netflix has far less content.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:13 pm

Fair point. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:15 pm

I've heard good things about Sword Art Online though, and that's on Netflix, what's your opinion of it?

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:17 pm

Really good. The storyline stays pretty on tracks, no filler really that I can think of. It's, what's the word... not compressed, but really efficient with it's time..

I enjoyed it quite a bit, and I'm hoping more of the seasons get dubbed when they're done airing in Japan.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:25 pm

Might be my next foray after TLotLH. You've sold me on at least checking it out.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:51 pm

One thing I'm noticing is how many English actors I recognise from the PS2 Suikoden games.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:53 pm

My favorite game when I watch anime: "Name that voice actor". Then I get lost on wikipedia for a half an hour...

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:00 am

Since I can't remember any of the voice actors names in Video game voice acting and Anime, I just play "Which Suikoden character(s) do they portray?"

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:16 am

I associate them like "Oh, hey, that sounds like X from Y... His name was... uuuhhh... Z? *checks* Cool, what else was he in?"

And then I get lost.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:21 am

Been there, done that too.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Post by Big slim » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:19 am

I just guest that Steve Blum is everyone and leave it at that.

My Anime knowledge is pretty lacking. I've only watched the ones that have gotten super big here in the rest, the Dragon Ball shows, Sailor Moon, Pokemon, the first 2 season of Digimon, a small amount of One Piece and an even smaller amount of Cowboy Bebop. I might have to check some of the ones on Netflix out.

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:20 am

A lot of my knowledge of wrestling history comes from following Wikipedia rabbit holes. When something doesn't pass the sniff test, I then cross-reference with newspaper archives, if available. Those, of course, then become their own rabbit hole....

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:07 am

If you can, try crunchyroll.com I don't know it's availability in Canada but they are the current definitive source for viewing more modern anime. I still need to go through my anime archives to see if anything can stand out for you Nucks.

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:14 pm

Awesome, I had seen that on my X-Box, had no idea what it was, but I'll definitely be checking it out. Two eps into TLotLH and I'm certainly enjoying it. I had forgotten how much I had liked anime.

Robmayn
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: sRobXMayneZe

Post by Robmayn » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:46 pm

Crunchyroll is awesome, use the Hola! plugin to make the page believe you are logging in from an US computer, it would work with Netflix too.

My anime knowledge is down right now, I am focusing more on Comics as they are becoming more mainstream and I have to be on touch with what's on top with the Agenda. A really good source to find which anime are kind of interesting to watch can be staying in tune with what's hot on Shonen Jump (as I beileve you would be looking for some Shonen).

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:01 pm

That reminds me to get back to TLotLH, I'd forgotten about it lately.