Star Wars

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
GooberBM
VIP Member

Re: Star Wars

Post by GooberBM » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:25 pm

Your thought process is what makes the current system as unfairly rigged as it is, Evan, because your mindset should be the way people look at things in general and specifically as a critic, and yet it's not

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:28 pm

Oh you see it less in the few movies like the ones you listed that rise to the top of their respective genres. However, I find that far too often that anything that's labeled a drama will get an automatic pass from critics and something of the same caliber, with an equally talented cast and crew from a sci-fi/fantasy, action or comedy effort will be hemmed and hawed at, derided and picked apart for every minute detail that would be overlooked in a drama unless it was ludicrously bad.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:46 pm

Everything should live and die by its own sword in my book. Quirky indie dramas and blatant Oscar bait get their fair share of negative reviews too. It's a bit of a grey area. I think it's more to do with the fact that if genre work fails it fails hard because they are very hard things to pull off tonally but if dramas fail it's usually because they fail to engage and are just totally banal.

“What a strange girl you are. Flung out of space.....”

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:04 pm

I think the issue comes when something is pigeonholed as obviously unworthy. For example, Inside Out was a phenomenal piece of filmmaking, and I think the three of us (if Nucks has seen it yet) would say it's easily one of the best films made this year. But even with the expansion of the Best Picture nominations for the Oscars, I'd probably die if I held my breath that it would get a nomination. And I would never presume that it could win, even if it did get that miraculous nomination.

And it's legitimate horsecrap because that movie was phenomenal

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:14 pm

On and institutional level you're absolutely right Goober. Inside Out should be treated with no less respect than a movie like Spotlight which is also in contention this year. Both different movies but with equally difficult hurdles that have to be overcome with their filmmaking. You can't compare them as similar movies, but you have to treat them with an equal amount of respect and openmindedness if you're to reasonably look at their virtues. To do anything less would be foolish.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:43 am

Finally, it's time to review "The Force Awakens"

If you hadn't guessed from my earlier reactions I absolutely adored this movie. It invigorated an interest and a curiosity I haven't felt in so long. I've never been so gleefully entertained at the cinema in my life. Maybe I have been but not in this way. It is a film that excites, enthralls, captivates, wonders, breaks your heart and everything in between. The best part about that is that it earns those moments and executes them with the urgency they deserve. The laughter, the tears, and the joy are all there in a way that purely inherent to the script and Abram's direction. Since it is Star Wars there are some familiar faces like Harrison Ford's "Han Solo" but it doesn't rest on nostalgia by integrating them into the film. It's earned by the narrative and the 30 years that have passed between films. The only noticeable flaws for me really are just cosmetic nitpicks. It's like a lightning bolt to the heart.

The new cast are perfect. Especially Daisy Ridley who I can't speak of highly enough, she is outstanding. Her character has so much heart, grace, and strength but with a vulnerability at key moments that make you empathize so heavily with her character. It's almost as if the trailers underplayed what they bring to the film. Oscar Isaac, Adam Driver and John Boyega all infuse their characters with a spark of curiosity and intrigue. Adam Driver's Kylo Ren has the potential to be one of the most interesting antagonists in cinema history. His character is unstable, volatile and darkly compelling in unexpected ways which allowed the drama to captivate you as you see some key moments play out. The character dynamics and arcs have the potential to play out better than the original trilogy did.

Technically the movie is also pretty much flawless, visually breathtaking, blocked in a way that makes every scene heightened and operatic to fit the scale of the universe. Some desert scenes are shot with a grandeur not seen since "Lawrence of Arabia", "Starkiller Base" brings out the best of the snowy landscapes almost as if it's a blend between "Doctor Zhivago" and "On Her Majesty's Secret Service". The sound mix is highly detailed with many interesting and well-observed surround effects. There's a cheeky "Willhelm Scream" thrown in there for good measure too, a nice touch. The art direction of the interiors draws inspiration and pays fitting tribute to Ralph McQuarrie but adds so much to the energy of a new age in this universe.

The finale is touching symbolic, a scene that means so much yet invites you to want more. It can't be understated how much of a good time I had with this movie. This was an enjoyable movie that meant something to me, not just as a guy that loved the original movies but as a guy who loves movies. That to me is one of the biggest achievements of all. 9/10

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:37 am

If you loved it so much, why don't you marry it?

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:42 am

I would if I could. I think BB-8 would make for a great life partner. It's resourceful and constantly endearing. Goddamnit, If a man can marry another man then what's to stop him from marrying a droid? I don't believe that of course, it's just a funny take on what some very closeminded people say.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:54 pm

I totally get it, Evan. Everything you were saying after you saw this movie, I totally get it.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:53 pm

I have never wanted to see a movie so much again, especially after hearing certain theories etc about the different characters. I have a big crush on Daisy Ridley, Just perfect casting there.

They are showing the prequels over here on TV on a dedicated channel and jesus they are just terrible in comparison. Just horrible.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:04 am

And now, upon reading your review too, I can't agree more, EOB. It's a well earned 9/10 from me too.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:35 am

I will take a snapshot of this. What a momentous occasion.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:58 am

I should be more in a rush to go see this, but I'm like...it'll be here in 6 months, on my tv, in blu-ray...so *shrugs*

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:30 am

This is true. Still though, absolutely amazing movie and you definitely should see it in one format or another.

Also, I fully predict that Goobs will be a Daisy Ridley/Rey superfan in no time at all.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:20 am

The only thing against her favor, in my entirely limited exposure to Episode VII, is that there's been so much love for her from everywhere that I might have hipster blowback on her and actively not love her as much as I could.

That's about the only thing that could ruin it, though, because everything I have heard about her is positive

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:42 am

I second Nucks', sentiment you'll love her. I agree though, it's better to discover her in your own way.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:52 am

Hmmm...That's a good point, Goober. Yeah, I think you'll appreciate her even more after the Star Wars mania dies down a little and you get to watch the movie without the megahype perhaps swaying your opinions one way or the other.

Then, someone will have to write a GoT/Star Wars crossover fanfic where Rey and Arya have an epic lightsabre battle (Arya would have a lightsabre equivalent of Needle) that destroys Goober.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:21 pm

That's probably trying a little too hard, on the lightsaber thing. I appreciate the sentiment though. I like when happy things break me.

And yeah, I'm hyper self-aware, which is something helps me avoid those kinds of basic mental traps. But sometimes it just means I see the trap I fall into coming and can't do anything about it. That is the worst

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:37 pm

BB-8 is a total charmer too. I'm also pretty self-aware. Value propositions are what sell me. I lose interest in the painfully unexceptional rather quickly. I was always mildly skeptical about the Disney purchase and Kathleen Kennedy's approach to new Star Wars movies. The were emphasising the return to practical effects and less political convolution at the core of the films to focus on the heart of the characters. Up until a few weeks ago I was still open to the idea that it might all be a smokescreen and that they were still showing me what I wanted to see and telling me what I wanted to hear. When I saw it though, the proof was in the pudding. I will say this Goober if you approach it like you did MEATDG you should have no problem with finding your way into the characters. Again it has to be your way and not anyone else's, I can respect that.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:24 pm

Well you should know Evan, the way I approached MAEATDG is how I approach everything. So yeah, I'm so totally boned