Star Wars

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
eobversion1

Re: Star Wars

Post by eobversion1 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:19 am

It's not easy having a family legacy to live up to which is part of what made his character fascinating in truth.

“What a strange girl you are. Flung out of space.....”

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:25 pm

I have to say, I find it remarkable that we have not heard a peep of news about even a hint of production difficulties on Episode VIII, which for a movie as big as this is and a series of such great expectation a lack of such news is miraculous. This suggests that Rian Johnson's version of the movie has the full backing of Lucasfilm and Disney execs. Usually, it's March/April when a rough cut of the movie is shown that the director intends to move towards completion with. Rian will probably have a few pickups to do but if it remains this quiet by May I reckon we have cause for major excitement.

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:31 pm

There is probably plenty keeping the hardcore Star Wars fans placated. There have been a lot of toys released, tied into Rogue One. The dvd/br release should not be too far off (that's what I'm waiting for). I think Disney is in the midst of Rebels TV show (don't have that channel). And what I am really waiting on is the release this month of the conclusion to Wendig's Aftermath trilogy. I don't keep up with comics, so I don't know whats going on in that part of SW.

I know the movies are an important part of the whole, but there is a lot for the dedicated SW fans, other than the films. I'm not a SW fanatic, I don't collect toys or play the games, I like the movies, but am mostly a fan of the stories in the books.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:14 am

And Disney didn't hunt down every version of the EU books and burn them. If someone really loves those stories, they certainly can keep them close to their hearts and enjoy them more than the Disney movies/shows/etc. All Disney has done is said the EU isn't canon. Doesn't make them not exist anymore, and there's a rich history and place in the market for fanfiction. There's no shame in that

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:29 pm

Lucasfilm works hard to ensure that Star Wars fans are satisfied on some level so more power to people that find their own niches within the universe. I can't stand the EU fundamentalist hangovers, though. Lucasfilm doesn't want to constrain themselves by having to avoid tripping over the EU to fully realise why Disney bought it in the first place. It serves no use. Sequel trilogy is canon, EU is fan fiction.

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:14 pm

I don't really understand why any big SW fan would still remain upset about them relegating the EU to "Legends". I was a little disappointed at first, because I would have liked to have seen the Thrawn trilogy made into films, but from the filmmaking persective, it is easy to understand why they pretty much had to sort of start over. As a fan of the written stories, I look at it as they created a 50 year (fictional) period to come up with completely NEW stories. That's not a bad thing. And they are re-using bits of the EU anyway, a new Thrawn book is set for release in April, and the character is supposed to show up on Rebels.

I do think they should have maybe kept some of the EU set prior to Return of the Jedi, although I figure it was just too much trouble and confusion to have to pick and choose. The new canon already includes new non-movie/TV stories set in that period. A good book candidate to have remained would have been Labyrinth of Evil, since it is mentioned in Revenge of the Sith. That is a bit of a quandary, as the movie is considered canon, but it makes reference to something non-canon. But what's done is done.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:44 pm

Maybe that would make a Labyrinth of Evil story a candidate for anthology movie, like Rogue One?

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:02 pm

True, but probably unlikely. It is essentially a Clone wars story, and I'm thinking Disney is reluctant to revisit that, film wise. I think they milked out TCWs for the foreseeable future.

The way I understand it, originally they did not want the Clone Wars TV show as canon, but Lucas insisted on it. And there were 2 Cone Wars shows, the first is considered Legends, the second (the one with Ashoka, Annikin's padawan) is considered canon. But the first series explained how Palpatine got kidnapped and set up the initial events of Revenge of the Sith.

I personally hope they focus on the new stuff. There is a book scheduled for May release that has the story bridging the years between Catalyst and Rogue One, that I look forward to.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Post by AndyF1069 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:27 pm

"Jedi" in The Last Jedi is plural, as confirmed by the title translations into languages such as German, Italian and Portugese.

"In German, the words for "The Last" help denote whether the "Jedi" is being used as a singular or plural. As pointed out by IGN Germany, the newly revealed German title - "Die Letzten Jedi" - uses the plural version, meaning it references multiple Jedi (if it was a single Jedi, it would be "Der Letzte Jedi")."
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:36 pm

I think that makes good sense.

I seem to remember they mentioned in The Force Awakens that Luke had attempted to re-establish the Jedi when Kylo Ren turned to the dark side.

Another story concept taken from the EU.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:42 pm

I think it's a little crackpot for my liking. If you're looking to foreign translations you didn't have much to build your case on to begin with. It doesn't hurt but I'll wait for further confirmation.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:00 pm

The name can have multiple implications, including one meaning at the start and one at the end. I think the uncertainty is a good thing.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:23 pm

Totally, it's not something I really want to know the answer to because in the context of the movie it seems insubstantial. The movie will hardly take on a whole new meaning whether or not the title is plural. Ambiguity and uncertainty is a good thing, it's what gives art meaning otherwise there would be nothing to discuss.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:44 pm

These have been particularly enjoyable. Especially the last one.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:59 pm

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:37 pm

This isn't canon anymore, but I think it's really cool. They intentionally changed the lore that the original clone wars series established with Grevious because they didn't want him to be so heroic (such as scenes in this video).

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:56 pm

^^ That was from the first Clone Wars Tv show, the one that is now considered "Legends". I always liked that show better than the later Clone Wars show. The animation style is very different, more like an old Warner's cartoon, and I kinda like how it's "less realistic" appearance focus' more on the story. This series was shown prior to the release of Revenge of the Sith, and led right up to it.
Sadly, it seems as if it's almost forgotten already.

I'm currently half way though Empire's End, no real great revelations about the future that could hint at anything about The Last Jedi.
The fate of Jar Jar is a bit sad but not too tragic. In The Force Awakens, Rey mentions to Han that the Falcon was at Niima Station (Outpost? I don't remember exactly), apparently named after Niima The Hutt, once ruler of a large part of Jakku, a major character in this book's story.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:43 pm

Rewatched Rogue One today, I'm pretty much set in my solid but lukewarm (no pun intended) feelings towards the movie.

Only about 20 minutes of it is memorable for me the rest of it seems to be trodding around looking to find an angle. Thank God Disney made them go back and reshoot the ending because to me it's one of the only parts of the movie that makes sense because a Star Wars movie with a flat ending goes over as well as the first two prequels.

Felicity Jones' performance is completely lost in the edit and the times where she's good is the time when the film seems at it's most directionless. Overall, pretty good and even though I hate to say it......I prefer Revenge of the Sith.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:49 pm

The only Star Wars movies ahead of Rogue One for me are A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. I absolutely loved Rogue One. It had a magic to it for me that just lifted me from a place of cynicism where I'm critiquing the movie and just sucked me clear into the story. Outside of the LotR trilogy, not many movies have that effect on me. So, for Rogue One to hit that note, it holds a tender spot for me.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:56 am

And it shows how a new hope has more meanings