Star Wars

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Re: Star Wars

Post by El Canuck » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:45 pm

Indeed, he's supposed to be our resident critic. The one who we could rely on to stay above the allures of the movie to tell us how it really is and level critical analysis. This is the big one, folks.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:06 pm

I will, it's just way too soon.

“What a strange girl you are. Flung out of space.....”

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:09 pm

I know that feeling. I live in that feeling. That's the good stuff. I'm happy for you, Evan. You keep feeling all the raw!

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:46 pm

Oh yes! That feeling is what dreams are made of. I imagine every Star Wars saga film from now on will be like a deathmatch of directors trying to kill other directors from the stress of one-upmanship. I would so hate to be Colin Trevorrow right now. The poor guy. He can't win. Jurassic World was fine but what's expected of him here is simply too much for his green ears.

Although the recency effect is in full swing I have no problem saying that The Force Awakens is a better film than Return of the Jedi. There's one debatable point on that statement which I'll leave for another time. No messing with Ewoks or fucking around with Jabba the Hut. There's no fat on TFA's bone.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:52 pm

Also TFA has one of the best uses of lighting I've ever seen. To elaborate further would be saying entirely too much.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Post by Big slim » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:19 am

I may head to the movies to check TFA out. I like what I have heard so far.

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:34 pm

The cat is alive

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:46 pm

Killer piece of trivia ahead
SpoilerShow
Daniel Craig played the Stormtrooper Rey plays the Jedi mind trick on towards the end of the movie. "and I'll drop my gun"

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:18 am

Great movie, just so well done.

Can't believe people are hating on it in some places. I swear people decide to hate a movie before they even see it. I loved it though.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:28 am

Indeed Legend Killer, the most entertained I've been by a movie in a long time.

Another interesting titbit
SpoilerShow
Ewan McGregor appears as Obi-Wan as a voiceover during the scene of Rey's vision (Which btw almost reduced me to tears, such great filmmaking) I think his line was "These are the first steps." A very interesting cameo.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:04 pm

For a full rundown of Easter Eggs and fun titbits this video covers it all. Spoilers obviously.

SpoilerShow
Daniel Craig will probably go down as one of my favourite cameos ever.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:17 pm

It seems like it's a small group that's against it, Legend Killer. It's got a 95% over at Rotten Tomatoes, that's like the holy grail of making it in the movie world. It's got 261 fresh reviews to 14 rotten ones and those fourteen seem to be half made up of people who just seem to disdain the genre and the franchise and the other half seem like they probably couldn't say a nice thing about any movie that's not in black and white.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:31 pm

Rotten Tomatoes is a bit of a joke in that regard. Too much of a minority to give it any mind. If you don't like the Force Awakens you mustn't like to enjoy yourself, you mustn't like to laugh, you mustn't like adventure, excitement, inspiration, tragedy or joy. Aside from all that it's also a very well made movie. Breathtaking vistas of real sets and locations. It's just a complete marvel. In fact a strong case can be made for multiple Oscar nominations, most technical but some above the line like Best Picture, Director and Best Actress for Daisy Ridley. If you can't enjoy this movie you're too old and cranky for your own good and should probably check yourself into a nursing home.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:36 pm

Don't insult old people like that, most of them are awesome!

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:43 pm

I didn't say anything to the contrary. What I meant was that if you can't enjoy the Force Awakens then you're probably way too bitter, cynical and cranky than is reasonably healthy.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:47 pm

No no, I mean don't put those terrible people in the nursing homes with sweet old people. The old people deserve better than that

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:54 pm

You're right, there should probably a different home for people like that. The one I visit has about 30% of cranks who live just to be a nuisance to the people trying to help, care for and support them.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:00 pm

To backup a little bit, that's a big problem I have with a lot of movie critics and movie award voting committees though. It seems far too often every genre that's not drama has to meet such a high level of expectation to exceed mediocrity in their eyes that it makes one wonder why these critics even bother to show up to the theater for anything that's not a pure drama flick.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:04 pm

Because it's an unfairly rigged system, that's why

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:11 pm

Well, you're talking about a very small minority in cases like Mad Max: Fury Road, Edge of Tomorrow, The Force Awakens and The Dark Knight. You can't please everyone all of the time. The only people who's opinions I can respect know how to keep balance between fun, exciting, intriguing, engaging, enjoyable, well-made big budget movies and pure dramas. I look for a different experience in everything I watch. I'm bored by the overly familiar or blandly executed. I just want to see something that takes some kind of risk. I don't care what it is. I LOVED Carol I think it's one of the best films of the year, I LOVED TFA I also think it's one of the best films of the year but for entirely different reasons. Reasons that are no less valid than each other. If you can't see that then I can't help you.