The AndyF1069 Video Game Thread

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Re: The AndyF1069 Video Game Thread

Post by AndyF1069 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:58 am

I'm pleasantly surprised so far. The gameplay is very similar to 2k16 (not 15, oops) but there are very noticeable improvements. The visuals are far better, probably because of not being boggled down by last generation console requirements. The audience is the best that I have ever seen in a game. Some on the fly animations are very smooth. I was attempting a running grapple and it was countered into a front face lock that took me to the ground, but the animation made it seem like one smooth transition, rather than multiple button prompts and a clash of visuals. Submissions have an option to be a visual prompt button mash, rather than the annoying and confusing circle rotation. You can manipulate the positioning of your opponent better than any game I've played in recent memory, including the ability to lift them into the air and move them to a spot of your choice, such as attempting to throw over the ropes or place on the top turnbuckle, or just drop them for damage.

The increase from 6 people to 8 people adds a lot of fun chaos. I did an 8 man ladder match and had a blast, although the ladder physics are too arcade-y for my tastes. The ladder matches have also added the smart and realistic function of making characters that have taken too much damage to roll to the outside of the ring to recover stamina and health. The more damage you have taken, the longer this process takes (which of course makes it easier for the people performing well to climb the ladder). There is a minimum amount of time that you will be incapacitated for which you cannot ignore. After that you have the option to get up early, or to keep waiting to fully recover. If you get up early, you will be in a weakened capacity which makes you slower and take more damage from attacks. I got hit with a ladder whilst weakened and my character ended up laying in the corner of the ring unable to move for at least a minute. I was on my feet long enough to knock a guy off the ladder, but the consequence of such was that I was taken out of the action soon after. On the flip side, if you allow yourself to fully recover, you will be in a strengthened state, sort of like an adrenaline rush. You hit harder, move faster and your momentum bar fills faster. It's a really clever risk/reward system that ensures that smart play gets rewarded and reduces the amount of dumb luck victories that happen. Do you take the chance of leaving somebody on a ladder to get the belt while you recover, or do you chance getting up early only to get knocked out again.

The roster is enormous, but a lot of the characters are locked initially. You can unlock them immediately with ingame currency, but I haven't worked out how to obtain that currency and I don't know if it's possible to unlock them without currency. You can buy currency with real money. The plague of transactions have made their way to WWE. Hopefully after the disaster that EA had with Battlefront 2, bigger companies will cut back on trying to get more money out of people. A game that comes with deluxe editions AND multiple dlc packs should not be featuring transactions for ingame content.

I tried the My WWE mode for the first time. I don't get the point of it. You're simulating TV shows, but you don't control what happens. You have the option to actually take part in matches if you wish, but there's no reward for doing so. You're playing for the sake of it, but it doesn't influence anything. The promo segments are also cheesy as shit. The dialogue is something that I would expect from a 16 year old dungeons and dragons fan (nothing wrong with that of course) who has absolutely no clue about wrestling. It's two to three minutes of unrealistic cringe. I can't see myself using this feature much, unless it turns out there are achievements linked to it or there are elements that I'm not yet seeing.

Those last two gripes aside, I'm having a lot of fun playing. I found myself with a big smile after my first match because it was an actual challenge as well as being fast paced. 2k16 was slow and repetitive. Looking forward to getting to really sink my teeth into a long gaming session with it.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:48 pm

I just counted. 70 characters are locked. I still don't see any means of unlocking them or earning ingame currency (but I haven't looked very hard). If it's possible to unlock them entirely through gameplay then that's something, but 70 locked characters? That's ludicrous.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:05 pm

You earn in-game currency by wrestling (win or lose you'll get the currency) but considering what wrestlers, shows and MyPlayer points cost, you don't earn much on a per-match basis. Even a five star victory might earn 350pts, which is piddly when the cheapest wrestlers cost 3000pts (the most expensive, which include five barely distinct versions of Sting (two late 80's blonde versions, two crow versions and his latest appearance) are 6000pts each)

The currency system was my lone major gripe with the game. I've really enjoyed my playthrough of it. There are a few minor nitpicks I have with the slowdown on XBox One in certain arenas (player created ones, and you have no idea when you're making them that it will lead to lag), one or two points where the gameplay isn't 100% fluid, and one or two other little things I can't even remember right now.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:09 pm

Haven't gotten to play much of 2k18 yet, the place I started at last month is desperate for staff and I've been having to do crazy hours. Think I've unlocked three lootboxes total so far and earned very little currency. Oh well.

With all this extra overtime money, I treated myself to a heavily discounted Prey. Heard great things about it. Psychological Space horror fps-rpg inspired by Bioshock, Dead Space and Deus Ex in which anything in the environment is a possible enemy in disguise. Saw a video of somebody exploring and a toilet roll in a bathroom onboard a ship was an enemy.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:30 pm

Prey is fascinating so far. The story is typical sci fi "how did this disaster happen" but mysteries are always fun. There is so much damn value in exploring every nook and cranny. I'm playing on hard difficulty and having a genuine challenge and it forces me to play smart.

The weapons are very unconventional. The first gun you get introduced to is an adhesive gun. It shoots giant blobs of adhesive which can freeze enemies in place temporarily, put out fires, build blocks to jump on and other things. A crossbow launches non lethal projectiles which bounce and make lots of noise, great for distracting enemies. There are grenades which can "recycle" everything in the explosion radius (turn things into crafting materials). These can also be used against enemies, but you risk exposing yourself if you do. You can cook the grenade, but if you get caught in the explosion it is an instant death because you just recycled yourself.

The little asshole enemies that camouflage themselves can literally be anything. Music of dread plays whenever enemies are in the area, so you have to always be on guard. Walk around looking for things, listening to noises. Then you backtrack and realise there are now two chairs instead of one. One of them is a bad guy. There is no way to tell them apart. The moment they sense danger (aka a gun being fired) they will come at you. You only get one first chance to strike. Who do you go for? The big dudes don't need to camoflauge, and they are very difficult. I avoid them wherever possible because of them being so hard to kill. If I have no choice, then I am forced to be creative such as freezing them and quickly tossing a recycle grenade at them. They do so much damage to me that even attempting to freeze them is risky. They have such fast reaction speeds that tossing a grenade will likely have me dead from across the room before the grenade has even exploded.

The customisation to gameplay is huge as well. There are tons of ways to approach areas. Stealth is viable. There are multiple paths to focus on upgrades for. Many objects block off areas, but you can upgrade yourself for strength to be able to move the objects. Some areas can be hacked into, saving you time and granting early access to the treasures inside, but you have to upgrade your hacking skill. Maybe you focus on survability instead. Every option is completely viable, but you can't choose every option. Will you be a hybrid, or will you focus on one specific path? Weapon upgrade toolkits are a rare find and each weapon can be upgraded in multiple different ways. One person might focus on the adhesive gun, another might focus on making melee weapons stronger.

There is lots to do besides the main objectives. I've already mentioned how rewarding exploring is. There are also npcs to find (dead or alive). Optional side objectives. Items to collect. Books to find. I feel as if I've barely scratched the surface so far (which is probably true).

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:08 pm

Gotten back into Prey over the last few days. The enemy type keeps expanding and it's really damn cool. A lot of the enemies have psychic type abilities. They can mind control nearby humans to fight for them (or to blow themselves up), they can warp gravity around you, distorting your movement and your aiming. They can straight up launch kinetic blasts at you. There are enemies which are completely invisible and can't be detected by turrets or your scanning tool. I've been playing the game in Hard from the start and it's definitely been challenging. I'm forced to think creatively as far as positioning, combining powers and guns and using the environment such as turrets or jumping from heights (you can slow your descent).

One of the things that caught me off guard was discovering that I don't have to kill mind controlled humans. It's never referenced at any point and I think this is intentional. Once you acquire a stun gun, you can force them into unconsciousness. You'll also have the option of choosing a power that allows you to psychic(ly?) break the mind control without risking harming them. Now I find myself regretting all the humans I've killed up to now and trying to save as many as I can. I don't know if there is any benefit to doing so. I don't know if there are achievements or a special ending or anything, but I feel like it wouldn't be an option if there wasn't something associated with it, so I'ma be the hero.

Part of the difficulty is managing ammo. You aren't a stereotypical pick up a gun and be a bad ass like you get with most other games. Your aim sucks and your damage is low. You could fire an entire clip into a bad guy and only knock down half their health pool. Then what do you do? This falls into the earlier bit about thinking outside of the box and using the environment. I'm quite fond of turrets and drag them around with me as much as possible. I'm also slowly unlocking new abilities as I progress through the game. As you scan enemies, you get to learn about their abilities and use them for yourself (it's all part of the story and well explained). An irony of this is that it changes your genetics so if you take on too many of the alien abilities, the automated defence system begins to confuse you for one of them and will attack you. But the beauty is that there is an alien ability that forces machines (good and bad) to fight for you. With the hacking system, you can change the ai to make both the good and the bad machines fight for you permanently. But it all comes down to your play style. You can't pick every available ability. You find the items for abilities in the game by exploring, but there is a finite amount. The amount of customisation and freedom is staggering. I'm something of a hybrid between sciency stuff (high hacking skill), survival (fuck the difficulty) and environmental manipulation with alien abilities. I've neglected combat abilities such as increasing my ability with weapons (aim, damage etc) or the ability to actually upgrade weapons (higher ammo count, more increased damage, faster reload, etc). I could also be stealthy if I wished.

I also need to praise the environment again. There is so much damn reason to explore. You want to find those ability upgrade items. You want to find ammo. You want to find crafting materials. Maybe you'll stumble across a turret which will make a hard section easier. Maybe you'll find keycards or notes with passwords to unlock inaccessible areas (which leads to more exploration). The station is masterfully designed and feels like a real place that real people would live in. There are also lots of side quests which are found through exploring. I'm having as much fun from just checking every room (and getting a heart attack when the little camouflage dudes have been hiding as an inanimate object) as I am from actually following the story. There are items hidden in very obscure places so it pays to look at every single section of a room, high and low.

I'm having an absolute blast, but it feels like I've barely scratched the surface. I think my playtime is 10 hours but it feels like there's so much more to come. My only gripes are with swapping between abilities and powers, and it might be my own fault for using a controller instead of a mouse an keyboard (but I doubt it since it was designed for consoles as well). You can only have three weapons and 1 ability on quick access at any point in time. You'll be wanting to combine multiple types of attacks at once, which requires you to constantly go into the menu to assign buttons, which slows the pace of combat and takes you out of the moment. There are two shoulder buttons which only get used to look around corners. Surely they could have been used to have the left corner button be held down to allow you to quickly swap between four abilities and the right shoulder to swap between four weapons? As far as gripes go, it's quite minor in the big scheme of things.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Sat May 12, 2018 3:12 pm

Was disappointed with the ending of Prey. It felt very flat, very inconsequential. I saw a review saying that the first 80% of the game is amazing and to avoid the final 20% once the story begins to reach the climax. I'm hard pressed to argue against that. All in all it is a good game with a lot of replay value and amazing customisation possibilities.

I lucked out and won the full version of Life is Strange (Episodes 1-5) for Steam and I also purchased Horizon Zero Dawn: The Complete Edition for my PS4 after giving in to temptation. About time I dusted off my PlayStation.