The AndyF1069 Video Game Thread

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Re: The AndyF1069 Video Game Thread

Post by AndyF1069 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:13 pm

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Not exactly a title that fills you with curiosity. It's also a game that I hadn't heard of until famous gaming critic Total Biscuit mentioned it as his favourite game that he has ever played. Pretty high praise, which alone filled me with intrigue.

(To the shock and horror of you all), you play as two sons, who are on a journey to save their dad from an illness. The key focus of this game is that you play as both characters simultaneously at all times. This presents a pretty unique form of gameplay and presents new puzzle elements that you won't really find in other games. Puzzles such as using one character as a target for an enemy to chase whilst the other sneaks by, and then swapping roles and slowly progressing through the path to safety. Puzzles such as being connected by a rope and using the momentum of hanging and swinging from the rope to reach areas which otherwise would be inaccessible. Every bit of team work requires simultaneous control, even if just to hold a button to keep one character holding a lever. It requires a different type of coordination than is ordinarily used for games or actions in general. It's jarring at first, but quickly becomes second nature. Each brother also shines in certain areas, such as the young brother squeezing through tight squeezes and the older brother being able to swim. The puzzles seem perfect in difficulty, they aren't too obvious but they aren't impossible "lets go to google" hard either.

The game itself is a joy to play. You traverse through a land of wonder and mystery, of giants and magic, of fantasy and danger. The characters themselves speak a jibberish, sim like language, yet they are still extremely expressive. You can understand the bond the brothers have very early into the game and it makes the journey that much more intriguing, you genuinely are rooting for them to accomplish their goal. The last hour or two of the game is quite intense and the surprise ending gave me genuine feels.

I enjoyed my time with the game, especially as it wasn't too time consuming. It's not one of favourites, but I'd definitely recommend it.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:37 am

Picked up Mad Max and Ryse: Son of Rome at a 75% discount each, for a total of £7.73.

I know nothing about the Mad Max movies, but I know that the game has gotten high praise and has unique vehicular combat. Ryse is one of the first "next gen" (now current gen) games and was one of the exclusives for Xbox One at launch. I'm getting this just for the sake of curiosity, and that it has good reviews too.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:02 am

Quite a nice little corner you've built for yourself here Andy, since I'm not very familiar with a lot of the game's you've mentioned I can't contribute much but as a fan of creativity and personal expression I will say rock on!

“What a strange girl you are. Flung out of space.....”

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:55 am

Thanks. I'm pleasantly surprised with the view count so I know there is interest even if there isn't much for others to contribute, which is what I expected going in to be honest.

I've been debating buying a new pc for a while now. My pc was moderate at best when I bought it two years ago. It was more powerful than a ps4, but not capable of playing modern games in ultra settings. I can get better graphics than consoles and in 60 fps, but it's not really a step above consoles. Besides that, I've been having crashing issues for weeks which is getting infuriating. On top of that, my fans are dying.

I've looked at quite a few builds, but I think I have settled for this

https://www.thepccustomiser.com/item/bu ... -gaming-pc

It's an improvement on my current pc in every possible way, and also capable of high quality vr gaming. A Solid State drive for mega fast loading speeds, double the ram, a faster processor and a very powerful graphics card. If you were to rank every graphics card available right now, the gtx 1070 is 7th (with the 1080 being 3rd). The card I have in the pc I am typing this post with is 56th.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:35 am

I was toying around with my steam library and sorted my library of 575 games in the order of most recently played. Games that are added to my library are included as played, so a game I installed in 2016 and didn't play is still between a game I played in 2015 and 2017. I scrolled to the bottom to see the games i had played and not finished and found that I started a game of Portal in 2015 and put an hour into it. I had played Portal previously about 8 years ago and hadn't finished it then either, so I went ahead and picked it as my next game to play.

Portal

I normally post about games under the guise that at least one person won't have played the game, or have knowledge of it. I believe that anybody who reads these posts has at least a tiny interest in video games to warrant the click, so non gamers aren't considered. That said, I believe that Portal is one of the rare games that doesn't need an explanation. A game that is understand universally by anybody with any knowledge of gaming. I feel it'd be redundant to explain the game, but I do it for all my other games. /shrug

Portal. A game in which you shoot a gun at the world and create interconnected spaces. A and B. No matter where in the world you are, A and B will always connect. Even if A is changed to be several miles away, it will still connect to B, and vice versa. This creates an entirely unique experience in gaming, particularly in puzzles. The use of physics is also interesting. Make a portal A at the top of the wall and Portal B at the bottom of the wall, directly where you would fall from A, and you find yourself gaining more and more momentum which can lead to some spectacular long jumps.

What stands out about Portal is just how simple of a game it is. There are several "levels" and you are required to make it to the end of each one. Why? Seemingly no reason. Each level introduces new elements and a gradual increase in complexity. You make it to the end of the final level and that is it, hooray let's have cake.
Spoiler: show
The cake is a lie
There isn't a whole lot of detail that I can get into outside of that. The game lasted 3 hours and was a fun, unique experience. The last portion of the game was a drastic shift from the first and I'm kind of disappointed that I already knew what to expect, given the unavoidable memes and mentions of the game throughout the gaming world. Whilst short and simple, it's easy to see why the game was so influential and beloved. Portal 2 is praised as being immensely better than the first in every aspect and I look forward to eventually getting to play it.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:47 am

I have too many damn games.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:14 am

My pc arrived today, but unfortunately my monitor isn't compatible with it. I've had to order an adaptor (vga to hdmi) to be able to connect them together. It's the equivalent of Santa dropping a present on your lap, but it needs a key to open and he left it at home. He goes back to the North Pole to get it and then charges you £30 to open your present.

On top of things, I got a bonus SSD for spending x amount on my pc. I had intended to sell it and make back some of the cash I spent, but for some bizarr reason they installed it alongside the other two hard drives I already purchased. A new and sealed SSD is worth much more than an unboxed and unintentionally used SSD. Bollocks to everything.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:16 pm

Been a busy few days as some of you know, but I've finally gotten around to tinkering with my new pc. First thing I tried was GTA V on maximum settings. Solid 60fps 99% of the time and a very noticeable difference on what I had before. The view distance is jaw dropping and the attention to detail of something as simple as rain splashing on a puddle and the reflections on that puddle being distorted by the raindrops was cool as hell.

I opened, but didn't play Batman: Arkham Origins. The reason for this game is that I remember having it open with the intention of playing a long time ago, but having to go do house things. I got back to my pc and the fans were in overdrive and It was ridiculously noisy. This new pc has liquid cooling which is supposed to be essentially silent, as far as noise from cooling is concerned. So sure enough, I boot up Batman and the noise of my pc is identical to when it is idle. All in all I'm happy with what I have. This pc should be future proof for a good few years.

Side note, I'm currently in the process of becoming a contributor for Wrestleview with a focus on fun or interesting social media tidbits, in combination of general news which haven't yet been picked up by the other staff. I already have a couple of posts on the site, although busy-ness has kept me from being able to contribute the last few days. Paul seems happy with what I have contributed so far and if that continues then ideally I'll become a staff member myself. It's pretty cool, especially as this will be my 10th year of being a regular visitor. Being able to contribute to a website that has been a part of my life for 1/3 of my years is really rewarding.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:16 pm

Playing some more GTA V, but going out of my way to pay attention to detail. It's not my first experience with the game, but I'm still noticing things which I've never noticed before. I found myself stood in a fountain in a busy street. I was paying attention to the ripples in the water as I moved through it and as I was moving the camera around, I noticed so many different things. On top of a building there was a flag blowing. The movement was dynamic. It never followed a fixed pattern. Birds were a common sight. All the way in the distance there were cars driving on the freeway, going about their robot lives, as well as all the cars and pedestrians that were near me. I can't help but to be impressed that so much can be happening at once, even all the way in the background. I remember playing GTA San Andreas and cars would be procedurally generated. I could have no cars around me, rotate my camera and voila, a car appears.

One thing that really amazed me during all of this. There was a building to my left and at some point a strange shadow appeared, rectangular in shape. What on Earth is this? Is it clouds in the sky? No. I zoom the camera in and way way way in the distance I see a crane on top of a building. It was doing whatever it had been scripted to do. The fact that it had been implemented at all, but that it could also cause a shadow to occur from such a distance away? Mind blown.

There are so many other little things. Underwater there are tons of different fish, each in locations that make sense for them. I saw an npc doing his gardening. People were hanging out in the park doing various things. Reading a book, tanning, sitting on a wall kicking their legs back and forth (it was fun to push them off).

I can't begin to comprehend the amount of effort that went into the making of a colossus game like this.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:11 pm

Sadly the screenshot doesn't capture the detail that was actually in game. This is the area I was describing in the post above.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... C5BB79B17/

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:11 pm

The attention to tiny detail never ceases to amaze me. On top of an obscure building that has no significance at all, is graffiti. Pigeons sit at the edge of ledges and the character will shoo them away when walking past them and they all fly in the same direction, keeping together. Little things like that are such a joy to witness.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:50 pm

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:07 pm

"I can fly, Peter! I can really fly!"

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:05 pm

Couple of highlights. There are story characters which can be found in the gameworld, usually immediately after missions. These npcs can't be manually shot at and seem to have an extraordinarily high tolerance to damage. I got creative and crushed a dude with a car and parked it on top of him. Eventually he "died". A few minutes later I got a text from him complaining and telling me I better pay his hospital bills. Another scenario found me and one of the main playable characters heading to the same place as part of the story. I approach the building in the gameworld and can see the character standing in the doorway. I can't shoot at him, but I can throw a grenade next to him. One of the elements of gameplay of gta is being able to swap between the three main characters at will, with each of them doing their own thing when not being controlled by the player. I immediately switch to the other guy and he's walking out of hospital. Brilliant.

The switching element is something I'm really enjoying. With each character having a speciality and usually an area they focus on, I can control the gameplay element I want to experience. Do I want to drive the fast vehicle with angry dudes chasing and shooting at me, or do I want to be shooting from the window of the vehicle at those angry dudes? I love that all of the options exist.

I'm also very much enjoying the interactions between two of the main characters. The deep history they have with each other and the back and forth they have. I care about them and their story and I'm anxious to find out more about their past and to see the conclusion of the story.

The gameplay itself has been ridiculously fun as I've gotten deeper into the game. I played tonight for several hours straight. I haven't been that focused and invested in a game since Metal Gear Solid V in September of 2015. I love the chaos and unpredictability. One mission had me attempting to escape from police. I did so and my mission ended, but the police found me by chance anyway. This led me into a unscripted chase into the sea on boats, but the weather was stormy. This caused very strong waves and a very bumpy ride for me and for the police. This made shooting and being shot at quite difficult, both for the police boats and the police helicopters. As hard as I tried, I couldn't shoot the snipers from the helicopter. Controlling a boat and trying to aim simultaneously with the never ending bouncing caused by waves made it nearly impossible to hit my target, but it was a fun challenge while it lasted.

Some random pictures unrelated to the above stuff.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... 0F04DA2D3/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... F13ABDBF9/

and the whole album with pictures I haven't bothered to post

http://steamcommunity.com/id/AndyF1069/screenshots/

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:29 pm

I now own SUPERHOT (all caps). An fps in which time only flows when you move. Enemies and bullets freeze in midair allowing you to make tactical decisions.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:09 pm

Gave it a quick whirl. It's more of a challenge game than an fps. You're presented with levels in which you need to defeat all of the enemies. The game itself is incredibly unique as far as gameplay goes. Aiming does not count as moving, but you also have to account for the movement that enemies will take as you fire your weapon. The act of firing counts as moving and will cause about half a second of time to take place.

Enemies approach from all angles so you have to always be aware of your surroundings. Any damage taken causes you to fail the level.

It's incredibly satisfying to have bullets very slowly glide past you as you move out of their path. Tiny movements will cause tiny periods of time to take place and allow you to avoid whatever is coming your way. However, this is where awareness is important. If you are too focused on the bullets and enemies in front of you, then you are going to get struck from behind and fail the level. You can also take context sensitive actions based on what is directly in front of your character (but every action will cause time to take place equal to the animation of the action). For example, you can take a gun from an enemy in front of you if time is frozen, or you can melee them and stun them. These are unavoidable. This makes dodging and weaving your way through bullets a real strategy in order to either steal a weapon when you are surrounded, or to save precious ammo.

I got this game at a mega discount, along with a handful of other games. The value was £70~ and cost £1.50. The game itself is £18. The game from start to end is very short, apparently just a couple of hours. I don't think a 2 hour game is worth that much, no matter how innovative and unique it is and there's probably a ton of people who won't buy it as a result, including me before this bundle became available. It's a shame really, this concept could easily be applied to a much more developed game.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:51 am

The ridiculousness of GTA is something I'll never grow tired of. A pair of OAP British tourists (Nigel Thornton and his wife, does that name sound familiar?) have come to Vinewood in hopes of gathering celebrity memorabilia. Literally from the celebrities. At one point I was chasing Mark Fostenburg in his golf cart so that I could steal his golf club, imported from Japan (because you know, the Japanese are such avid golfers) for his delicate hands.

I can rescue people and choose to take them to a safe location, or I can choose to take them up the mountain to be sacrificed to a cult.

I can smoke extra powerful weed, trip out and end up being gangbanged by the likes of aliens or killer clowns.

As far as regular gameplay goes, I feel as if this experience is different to my unfinished ps3 playthrough. I feel as though there are less psychiatrist sessions available. I feel as if I'm missing missions, but simultaneously I have had missions I've never experienced before. I remember that for one mission, I had to take one of the characters to flying school and do x amount of lessons and couldn't progress to the main story mission until then. That hasn't happened on my PC playthrough. I also remember a bank heist on my ps3 that hasn't happened on PC (yet?). But if it hasn't happened yet, then why do I have so many more missions on PC that I didn't need to do on PS3?

I've talked about it before, but I'm still amazed at how much general npc activity there is. At one point I decided to climb a construction site, just because. It took about five minutes to get all the way to the top, which also gave me a real appreciation for real world construction and not just because of the fact that I felt a real emotion of fear from being so high up, despite it being a game. So I'm at the top of the construction tower, so high up that a news helicopter is below me rather than above me (and the fact the helicopter is there at all is cool). I take out a sniper rifle and I have to zoom to the maximum distance just to reach the ground. All of the activity is still taking place in the world. Cars are driving, people are crossing streets, police are chasing people other than myself. The world is always alive.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:00 am

Just did a triathlon that took 28 fucking minutes to complete. 28 minutes of tapping the sprint button literally without pause. At one point during the cycling section, I missed a marker and had to turn back around to move into it to be eligible for the other markers. That was at the 17 minute mark and put me into 7th place out of 8th. I highly considered quitting at that point. A few minutes later and I ride over a fire hydrant as I go around a corner and I fall off the bike as a result. I literally yelled out "noooo!". My arm is tired as crap, but I finished the race and in 1st place. There was no reward at all, no achievement, nada, zilch, nothing. Finishing felt so good though, so it was worth it.

28 minutes of never repeating map, and overall just a small portion of the entire map as a whole. 50th time I've said it, but I'm constantly blown away by how much work has gone into this game.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:03 am

A couple of the dozens of side missions include underwater exploration. Police killing, gang destroying, innocent civilian terrorising maniac by day, environmentally waste removal by night. Underwater is as highly detailed as the surface, and is equally as large. No wonder the game was in development for 5 damn years if they're adding so much fine detail to a ridiculously large map.

Also a shark sneaking up on you when you are scuba diving on the ocean floor is as terrifying as it is cool.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:07 am