Ideas for the new Politics thread

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
eobversion1

Ideas for the new Politics thread

Post by eobversion1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:30 pm

Well, a new year is upon us, senate confirmation hearings are underway and this nightmare is about to become a reality.

The last thread we had was on track to surpass the entirety of the Game of Thrones thread so undertaking a new thread is something we should take a step back and reflect before diving back in.

We have learned a few lessons from the year behind us. We assumed in some cases right and in others wrongly that indecency was going to be a deciding factor that would turn voters away from Trump not realising that some people simply voted for him because they were worried about putting food on the table. That should never be overlooked.

That being said there's no denying that Trump, through his cabinet picks, bizarre tweets and contempt for important democratic institutions has laid the groundwork for a disastrous administration.

Congressional Republicans are enthusiastic about repealing Obamacare and suspiciously tight-lipped about what the replacement will be.

Some themes will inevitably be carried over from the previous thread, others not so much.

I'm only laying one rule for the new thread, I don't think it's too much to ask.

1. No Conspiracy Theories or Baseless claims (E.G. "George Soros Ate My Baby" or "John Podesta is a Satanist Running A Child Sex Ring out of a Pizza Parlour".) Disagreement is fine but don't be dishonest. If your claims can only be found in hyperpartisan parts of the internet and don't cut the mustard with Snopes or Politifact then it's not true and I don't know why you would believe it in the first place.

Any other suggestions are welcome including what the title name should be.

“What a strange girl you are. Flung out of space.....”

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Re: Ideas for the new Politics thread

Post by El Canuck » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:21 pm

Spending more than ten minutes a day following the farcical disaster that is Donald Trump and the GOP drains me of all will to do anything. I likely won't participate in another political thread after that election for a long time as I have little desire to provide commentary while America collectively buys a proverbial monorail from an orange version of Lyle Lanley.
Last edited by El Canuck on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

endless
Hall Of Famer

Post by endless » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:23 pm

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:06 am

It's disappointing to see you disheartened like that Nucks, inevitably there will be other pressing stories that will overtake the discussion from time to time but I understand your need to tune out.

We'll get to that in the new thread endless. Entirely unsurprising at this point.

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:37 pm

Just speaking for myself,

I do not find political discussion "entertainment".
Maybe the thread should be in Off Topic?
just my opinion, do what you want.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:10 am

I've said since day one that Trump's and increasingly the media at large's tactics in debasing mainstream political discussion from a substantive discussion on policy into a vaudeville act for the sake of eyeballs. When the debate deserves reverses it's descent into madness and deserves to be taken more seriously that's when the thread should move.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:07 am

What Evan's getting at is that political discourse and coverage, is a tv show now more than substantive. It's a TERRIBLE tv show, but it is one, nonetheless

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:36 am

Thanks for the save Goober, I typo'd the shit out of that last sentence but yeah, when the debate becomes more level headed and there's more substance in the foreground of the discussion we'll revisit thread placement but at the moment it's a circus and shouldn't be dignified with Off-Topic status.

Dynasty
Title Contender

Post by Dynasty » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:03 am

For those that do not get what happened...You pushed too far to the extreme left....Middle America pushed back.
We were attacked for being capitalists, believing in God , being attracted to the opposite sex, not paying our "fair share" ,not supporting the redistribution of wealth, believing in states rights, protecting the lives of innocent unborn babies who don't have a voice. For believing America was exceptional , for believing in secure borders, believing in law & order, for support of police and military. You tried to make disagreeing with a woman a form of domestic violence. You wanted us to be more like Europe, when everyone around the world wanted to be like America. You called us racists for criticizing a Marxist dictator who hated those who "clinged to God and guns." All while thousands of people were dying in his hometown and he ignored it. His hometown, fellow Americans, dying every day.

Well ... now you deal with this.
Daddy's home.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:21 am

I'm not going to dignify a lot of what you've posted with a response Dynasty except to say that you should take a look in the mirror and try to understand how a lot of what you've expressed could seem ignorant, uninformed and downright wrong. Best of luck to you.

Dynasty
Title Contender

Post by Dynasty » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:40 am

You just made the quote's point dude...you just made the point. You essentially called me a racist, bigot, wrong for posting a quote not my words mind you not even all my beliefs or political views .....this quote is floating around yesterday explaining why Trump is now the president of the United States.You just PROVED my point. You don't get it.

For the record....I believe in gay marriage, I believe in a women's right to abortion I also respect the opposites sides viewpoint on abortion I disagree but I think they make a strong case. That is the difference between ME and YOU. I am open to the other sides view point and because I disagree with it I dont call them stupid, evil or racists. I worked with inner city kids white, black, hispanic, asian for four years through athletics and education. What have you done for inner city communities to make a difference?

The point is II didn't say any of that, that is why it was quoted. I'm not from middle America. Im from Boston Massachusetts a blue state. The purpose of that quote is explaining why middle American won the election for Trump with the Electoral College. Those are their feelings summed up....none of it is racist none of it is bigoted, not one piece of it. That is why your side lost the election and you STILL dont get it. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make you a racist and people are sick of hearing it.

The best part of this is, you have no idea who i even voted for and want me to look in the mirror for sharing quote on what the other side felt and why that side voted the way they did. You may not agree with everything in that quote, I may not agree with everything in that quote, Im certainly not a religious man...but nothing in that quote is racist nothing in that quote is bigoted.

And that is the difference between someone that is a moderate like myself who is willing to listen to both sides and try to understand how we got to this point and someone like your self that just throws disgusting terms like racist out there.

I believe the mirror is only big enough for one of us to look into to be quite frank.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:55 am

Cut it with the disingenuous nonsense Dynasty. Calling a neoliberal like Obama's policies the "extreme" left and sharing a post like that which calls him a Marxist Dictator doesn't sound like you're entering into the discussion in good faith in any way whatsoever and it definitely doesn't sound like you're the moderate you say you are.

You're exactly that kind of loathsome prick that would support someone like Trump. Now kindly fuck off.

Dynasty
Title Contender

Post by Dynasty » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:24 am

Your lacking comprehension. I already said I do not agree with everything in that post I am simply sharing what the other side feels. There is nothing racist there is nothing bigoted in that quote. I have obviously invaded your safe space because so far by bringing a different point of view point not even my own. You have hinted at me being a racist not even knowing my actual race which is hysterical , and now have resorted to calling me names, instead of embracing discussion you are telling me to fuck off. Mind boggling really. Have I personally insulted you somehow? Am I taking food off your table?

People are going to have different opinions people are going to share different opinions in my case I shared someone else's it's a quote and you have resorted to calling me names. Very mature of you really. And that folks George Washington is dead on when he said parties would destroy this country. Both sides are not mature enough to have a discussion. Exhibited A right here.

And for the record I do support Donald Trump in the sense that I want him to do a good job just like I supported Obama just like I will support the next president wether or not i voted for them or not. The election is over it is time to work together both sides have to LISTEN and meet in the middle. Name calling and telling people to fuck off doesn't resolve anything.

Dynasty
Title Contender

Post by Dynasty » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:30 am

So I ask you version one what are you doing in your community to make a difference because sitting upon a social media platform telling people to fuck off for sharing other opinions doesn't really solve the worlds problems.

I'm currently volunteering 3 times a week working with inner city kids at our local mixed martial arts gym, oh by the way girls are welcome too....I know I'm a bigot I wouldn't want to be a sexist too.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:33 am

I will not be addressing your highly insincere remarks any further. Kindly go post somewhere else.

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:49 am

Dynasty wrote:So I ask you version one what are you doing in your community to make a difference because sitting upon a social media platform telling people to fuck off for sharing other opinions doesn't really solve the worlds problems.

I'm currently volunteering 3 times a week working with inner city kids at our local mixed martial arts gym, oh by the way girls are welcome too....I know I'm a bigot I wouldn't want to be a sexist too.
I bet you love working those inner city kids.

Dynasty
Title Contender

Post by Dynasty » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:02 pm

Right because when someone responds or provides an opinion different than your own. You tighten up kick and scream call them names and tell them to leave. Why because you can't take it. It's your safe space once someone enters your safe space that is different than your own you freak out. I stayed calm cool collective held my ground didn't bite when you called me names and you completely lost your mind. Remember the Mizzu protests very similar

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:53 pm

Little Jimmy wrote:
Dynasty wrote:So I ask you version one what are you doing in your community to make a difference because sitting upon a social media platform telling people to fuck off for sharing other opinions doesn't really solve the worlds problems.

I bet you love working those inner city kids.
*high fives Jimmy*

Dynasty
Title Contender

Post by Dynasty » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:32 pm

Are you suggesting that someone that volunteers time with kids I actually should say teens...is a pedefile? SI that what you were insinuating? Is that your next attack on someone that has a difference of opinion than your own? Please correct me if I am misinterpreting. Because so far the tally is I am a racist, bigots, wrong and pedefile. Funny how the left preaches love trumps hate, openness, no one should be left out due to their difference, yet when its time to actually put that belief into play the left resorts to name calling and "get the fuck out" I'm going to be honest, I'm not sure you actually know what a bigot or a racist is.

Come on key board warrior..how do you impact change in society other than logging into your social media accounts and hash tagging away or attacking people for a difference in opinion with 4th grade level insults. Anyone can type on a key board and be a social justice warrior. But what course of action do you take in your community to to make the changes in society that you want to see?

You have yet to defend any accusations you made on me of how I am a racist, bigot, and wrong for explaining why middle America voted the way they did to impact the election.

Your response to a quote that you did not agree with was...racist, bigot, wrong, look in the mirror....get the fuck out. And you wonder why we are at where we are today. And you wonder why you lost the election. That is why. Its the same reason why the GOP lost in 2008 with the too much military, anti gay, pro abortion BS for 8 years....they pushed too far right ....middle America pushed back.

You re not mature enough to have a discussion, that much is obvious. Its actually a shame. A place that once provided a platform for all opinions sure things got heated but the discussion was always welcome. Now you are met with....get the fuck out how dare you disagree haha.

I believe the title of this thread was Ideas for New Politics Thread...you meant to say Eobversin1's politics thread...very dictator like, the irony is quite funny.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:43 pm

Quite the active imagination you've got there.