New ROH Champion at 10/6 PPV Taping

Discuss wrestling happening everywhere that isn't WWE or TNA.
Kris
Hall Of Famer

New ROH Champion at 10/6 PPV Taping

Post by Kris » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:59 am

http://www.wrestleview.com/news2006/1191742375.shtml

- Nigel McGuinness defeated Takeshi Morishima to become the NEW ROH World Champion.

So, thoughts?

I personally am not feeling this one. I don't feel like McGuinness ever had any real struggle or journey to the title.
Super Dragon wrote:They're just lucky I didn't go shank them in the face.
I mark for the 80s.

Magnum TA
Developmental Talent

Post by Magnum TA » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:12 pm

Preshow

1) Alex "Sugarfoot Payne & Ernie Osiris defeat Rhett Titus & Mitch Franklin.

Main Show

~Chris Hero vs Claudio Castagnoli to open. Larry Sweeney comes out and says there will be no match until his demands are met. Age of the Fall vs The Vulture Squad will open instead.

1) The Age of the Fall of Jimmy Jacobs & Tyler Black defeat The Vulture Squad of Jack Evans & Ruckus when Jacobs beats Evans with a choke.

2) Daizee Haze defeats Sara Del Rey with a rollup scoring the upset.

~Sweet N' Sour Inc. out to the ring to cut a promo, but is cut off by Dragon. Danielson challenges Hero, and the match is ON!

3) Bryan Danielson defeats Chris Hero via ref stoppage after Dragon continuously kicked Hero's head in with boots.

~Adam Pearce comes to the ring and calls out Kevin Steen. Pearce asks Steen to join the Hangmen's Three, and they carry out an unconscious El Generico. They demand Steen attacks Generico. Steen ponders it, then attacks the Hangmen's Three. Delirious enters, and the six man tag is on.

4) The Hangmen's Three of Adam Pearce, Brent Albright, and BJ Whitmer defeat Delirious, Kevin Steen, and El Generico when Albright pinned Delirious following a half nelson suplex.

5) Austin Aries defeats Roderick Strong with a brainbuster through a table and a 450 splash.

6) NIGEL MCGUINNESS DEFEATS TAKESHI MORISHIMA WITH A JAWBREAKER LARIAT TO BECOME THE 10TH RING OF HONOR WORLD CHAMPION!

~No speech from Nigel, as he gets in to a scuffle with American Dragon. Nigel then celebrates with the roster to end the PPV.

~INTERMISSION~

7) Claudio Castagnoli defeats Jigsaw with a European Uppercut.

8) The No Remorse Corp of Rocky Romero & Davey Richards defeats The Resilience of Matt Cross & Erick Stevens when Romero pins Cross sending him out of ROH for 60 days. After the match the NRC destroyed the arm of Erick Stevens.

9) Necro Butcher defeats Jay Briscoe in an anything goes match. At one point there were 20-30 chairs in the ring. Necro won with a side suplex in to some chairs. The Age of the Fall brought Mark out tied in barbed wire.

towney007
Site Admin

Post by towney007 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 am

I'm lukewarm on it too. It was just sorta out of nowhere and I heard the match was pretty dreadful. It's just odd after he was beaten so handily by Mori the first two times or so he faced him. That and Mori killing his arm, only for Nigel to use that same arm to smoke him and take the belt.. yeesh that's pretty weak stuff.

That being said, i'm very happy they're pushing Aries back up into the title hunt and Dragon is inscenced that Aries might become the first two-time champ.... One, we're getting a more well-rounded title scene with some drama and two, Aries has utterly blown the past two years. Working with Dragon is SORELY needed right now.

As for Nigel, look, i'm all for simplification, but the fighting spirit stuff is getting a little ridiculous with him... Hopefully, it don't blow.

Kris
Hall Of Famer

Post by Kris » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:20 am

towney007 wrote:I'm lukewarm on it too. It was just sorta out of nowhere and I heard the match was pretty dreadful. It's just odd after he was beaten so handily by Mori the first two times or so he faced him. That and Mori killing his arm, only for Nigel to use that same arm to smoke him and take the belt.. yeesh that's pretty weak stuff.

That being said, i'm very happy they're pushing Aries back up into the title hunt and Dragon is inscenced that Aries might become the first two-time champ.... One, we're getting a more well-rounded title scene with some drama and two, Aries has utterly blown the past two years. Working with Dragon is SORELY needed right now.

As for Nigel, look, i'm all for simplification, but the fighting spirit stuff is getting a little ridiculous with him... Hopefully, it don't blow.
I think ROH blew their load early on Morishima, just to appease the ROH PPV buyers. I think they could have done a revisit of the Joe/Aries feud, accept replace Joe with Morishima.
Super Dragon wrote:They're just lucky I didn't go shank them in the face.
I mark for the 80s.

Flair_Pinned_Me
Mid Carder

Post by Flair_Pinned_Me » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:27 pm

Why would they repeat something they did almost 3 years ago? ROH is about evolution, hence why a lot of us don't like it as much anymore, cos the product is so different than it was in 2005.

Anyway, I'm all for Nigel with the title, but I hope the Japan lite main events end.

benhagen20

Post by benhagen20 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:44 am

I don't think working over someone's striking arm negates the possibility of said striking arm being used as a weapon. The idea behind it is clearly to make the worker's strikes weaker, but often that doesn't quite work. See the plethora of matches where workers target Stan Hansen's arm only to get killed by his lariat anyway . . . or, hell, even the January 20, 1997 match where Kobashi kills Misawa's arm only to fall to a running elbow smash. I'm not saying that Nigel is on level with Hansen, Kobashi, or Misawa, but do wait to see how Nigel and Morishima work it into their match. Some people think 5 minutes of arm work means a wrestler has to sell the arm the rest of the match. We all know that's bologna and baloney. If a wrestler doesn't manage to "injure" the arm of his opponent, there's very little point in the wrestler holding his arm or letting it hang limp by his side. If Morishima did, in fact, injure Nigel's arm . . . then we can fully expect Nigel to at least grab his arm and say, "Ow!" after murdering Morishima. If he doesn't and if Morishima had in fact "injured" his arm (or spent a great portion of the match using his butt attacks on it), then we can bitch.

Not that I always agree with the DVDVR Road Report, but they can be pretty damn critical of ROH . . . and they thought the match was great (for what it's worth).

I say good for Nigel. If Gabe can do something interesting with him, I'm all for his title reign.

Colt45
Rookie

Post by Colt45 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:08 pm

benhagen20 wrote:I don't think working over someone's striking arm negates the possibility of said striking arm being used as a weapon. The idea behind it is clearly to make the worker's strikes weaker, but often that doesn't quite work. See the plethora of matches where workers target Stan Hansen's arm only to get killed by his lariat anyway . . . or, hell, even the January 20, 1997 match where Kobashi kills Misawa's arm only to fall to a running elbow smash. I'm not saying that Nigel is on level with Hansen, Kobashi, or Misawa, but do wait to see how Nigel and Morishima work it into their match. Some people think 5 minutes of arm work means a wrestler has to sell the arm the rest of the match. We all know that's bologna and baloney. If a wrestler doesn't manage to "injure" the arm of his opponent, there's very little point in the wrestler holding his arm or letting it hang limp by his side. If Morishima did, in fact, injure Nigel's arm . . . then we can fully expect Nigel to at least grab his arm and say, "Ow!" after murdering Morishima. If he doesn't and if Morishima had in fact "injured" his arm (or spent a great portion of the match using his butt attacks on it), then we can bitch.

Not that I always agree with the DVDVR Road Report, but they can be pretty damn critical of ROH . . . and they thought the match was great (for what it's worth).

I say good for Nigel. If Gabe can do something interesting with him, I'm all for his title reign.
Winner is you

Sides Nigel is the only pure babyface right now worthy of the belt.

Phoenix88
Title Contender

Post by Phoenix88 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:37 pm

Right now I'm a bit iffy on the match. A friend of mine in attendance had nothing good to say about it. He said that most of the first half was Morishima injuring the arm; only for Nigel to come back and hit AT LEAST 12 lariats. Which just seems ridiculous.

And the finishing spot sounds way too unbelievable for me. Back Drop Driver rolled out into a Rebound Lariat. Come on.

But I haven't seen it; I will probably get this ppv; and then pass judgment. But for now; I'm not too excited about this match.
Paul Nemer referring to Shawn Michaels wrote: He's just a real stand up guy.