Factions

Discuss the latest happenings in Impact Wrestling. Share your thoughts, opinions, etc...
DaddyEccentric
Legend

Factions

Post by DaddyEccentric » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:58 pm

Just looking at the whole Bully/Sabin feud and it has me thinking..

TNA booked Sabin to win the title during the A&8's takeover and during Aj Styles potential hero turn AND the BFG series, now while Bully may win the title back, isnt the whole purpose of creating a stable feud for two reasons, 1) To push a new guy to the top and 2) to last through one or two big feuds before being conquered or disbanding?

(I exclude NWO here)

Now Evolution lasted a while and through a lot of fueds , but Evolution produced Batista and Orton as breakout stars. A&8's aren't exactly doing that. Now maybe it is a flip reverse and instead, whoever beats the A&8's becomes the next breakout star, but so far, A&8's is just getting very stale, very fast.

What do people think a purpose of a stable should be for and for how long?

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Re: Factions

Post by isrs4life » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:18 pm

Dont forget Christopher Daniels, Kazarien and Bobby Roode is also a new faction.

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:51 pm

While I'm hardly an expert on TNA, Aces & 8s has been a vehicle to propel Bully Ray forward as the top heel in the company. While he'd dabbled in the main event, for a couple years (since becoming the Bully), he'd never really found his sticking power. Now, he has it.

So, A&8s HAVE created a breakout star.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:07 am

The others have definite holes in their theories though. The Main Event Mafia is TRYING to position Magnus as a breakout star and if I'm not mistaken he's performing well in the BFG series, but I have no clue if it's sticking in a meaningful way

A grouping of Kazarian, Daniels, and Roode...probably couldn't be more underwhelming if you're looking for a breakout star. Three guys they've tried and tried and tried with and none of whom have ever stuck.

Yeah, they've got nothing much there, so I dunno

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:52 pm

I would add, though, that factions aren't JUST for creating breakout stars. They're also for reinvigorating the stars you already have, who need freshening up. I would suspect that the Main Event Mafia came together, this time, for the same reason it came together the first time: To give Kurt Angle a fresh angle.

You mention Evolution, and yeah, they definitely wanted to use it to propel Randy Orton (Batista was a happy accident), but let's not lose sight of what was driving the company through that whole period, before and after the stable's life: Triple H. He'd ruled the world of Raw for all of 2002, from winning the Royal Rumble, the title at Wrestlemania, to turning heel on then feuding with HBK, to Katie Vick, to the first Elimination Chamber, to Three Stages of Hell with HBK. With the frantic pace of storylines, at that point, he was running out of gas as a solo act. More than that, they were about to bring in Goldberg, and if you're going to milk a year out of THAT guy, you need your top heel to have flying monkeys.

Evolution's purpose was to draw money. That they created two breakout stars out of it was them killing two birds with one stone. Really, take a look at EVERY OTHER STABLE EVER, and find just one more example of a faction serving both of those purposes. It's not fair to measure every stable that comes along by what Evolution did, because what Evolution did was unique. It's the exception, not the rule.

Also, didn't TNA just crown a new World Champion, by having a relative nobody "break out" and take it from the master and ruler of Aces & 8s? Just sayin'....

DaddyEccentric
Legend

Post by DaddyEccentric » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:27 pm

I just can't help but feel that in TNA's landscape, nothing ever seems major, fuck, they can make Magnus the break out star, but really, he will just blend in

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:38 pm

Well, yeah. TNA sucks.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:38 pm

DaddyEccentric wrote:I just can't help but feel that in TNA's landscape, nothing ever seems major, fuck, they can make Magnus the break out star, but really, he will just blend in
Because everyone can beat everyone and if everyone can beat everyone then why should we care?

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:39 pm

Red_And_Yellow wrote:why should we care?
BECAUSE WRESTLING MATTERS!!!!