Spike drops TNA

Discuss the latest happenings in GFW. Share your thoughts, opinions, etc...
stingray11214
Developmental Talent

Spike drops TNA

Post by stingray11214 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:27 am

http://www.wrestleview.com/tna-news/498 ... -wrestling

Well, does this mean the end of TNA is at hand. Or, does Dixie have one final ace up her sleeve? Discuss.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Re: Spike drops TNA

Post by El Canuck » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:07 am

Here I thought TNA was one of Spike's biggest shows in terms of ratings after UFC packed up and left. Oh well, more room for Cops and Jail reruns now I guess?

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:26 am

Speculation is that Spike simply have no faith in Dixie Carter. Might try finding some other wrestling organisation, existing or newly created, to replace it.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:49 am

We should pool our money and create our own promotion with me as the head writer, CEO and World Champion. Then pitch it to Spike.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:57 am

Jeff Jarrett will rise again.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:14 am

Not that he has some sort of monopoly on putting together a company. There's no magic formula.

stingray11214
Developmental Talent

Post by stingray11214 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:14 am

Greg_McNeish wrote:Speculation is that Spike simply have no faith in Dixie Carter. Might try finding some other wrestling organisation, existing or newly created, to replace it.
ink it is the end of the line for TNA? Or, does it just become a regional Fed?

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:20 am

In what region? They don't have a territorial base. If they can't find a new TV deal in America that will pay comparable to Spike, which would shock me, they're done.

stingray11214
Developmental Talent

Post by stingray11214 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:28 am

Greg_McNeish wrote:In what region? They don't have a territorial base. If they can't find a new TV deal in America that will pay comparable to Spike, which would shock me, they're done.
What about buying their own airtime on terrestrial TV in the Southeast and work their way up the Mississippi and Northeast? They could sell the ads, and cut out the middleman. Remember, when Vince went National, he still had many local deals. To be very honest, I see them as a replacement for a combined Florida/Georgia/Mid-Atlantic territory.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:44 am

When Vince went national, he STILL had local deals. It was the base he built from. You're talking about doing the reverse, and not only that, you're talking about BECOMING a regional territory when they already struggle to draw even in those areas, and that's WITH national television distribution, and star power that they couldn't possibly afford to keep. Also, you don't cut out the middle man, by selling your own ads; you HIRE the middle man to sell the ads for you. That can be more lucrative, but it usually isn't, which is why most companies farm it out. That's not even getting into how weak the terrestrial TV market is in America.

I don't relish crapping on people's dreams, but there's absolutely no basis in reality for TNA doing what you're proposing.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:51 am

The rumors out there make it seem like hiring Vince Russo secretly was the last straw from Spike executives. Well, the "how WCW killed Vince Russo" book can't be released about TNA!

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:21 am

That should read "for Spike executives" but I wrote it in a daze as I found this news out when I woke up randomly at 330 AM.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:01 am

What network would even take a chance on TNA right now that would give TNA the coverage it needs, is the question. I don't think they'll find one big enough for their needs that are willing to sink prime real estate into their company.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:28 am

None that I know of. None of Fox Sports, NBC Sports and CBS Sports wouldn't. Without the TV deal they are dead, simple as that.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Dynasty
Title Contender

Post by Dynasty » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:18 pm

I wrote this on another site I visit.

Vince Russo his McMahons herpie that he released all over the wrestling world. The gift that keeps giving and infecting everyone that touches it.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jama7301

Post by Jama7301 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:05 pm

UK/international deal possible? The logistics of it may be rough, but could that be an option?

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:18 pm

I wonder if it would be feasible/possible for them to return to a weekly PPV deal? I can't see that being successful, but I can't see Dixie so easily giving up. She's so damn stubborn.

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:34 pm

About 85-90% of people who watch Spike are overweight, lazy, male couch potatoes and neglected teenagers who lost the television remote a long time ago and still haven't bothered to look for it. They are just as content watching "Cops" marathons, "Jail", "World's Wildest Police Chases" and reruns of "Bar Rescue" all day long. All TNA does is get in the way of more "Cops"

Without Spike, their television future is done for.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:10 pm

Weekly PPVs were an absolute disaster, and obliterated the company's finances such that the Jarretts sold to Panda in the first place. They had to get rid of their monthly PPVs because nobody was buying them, remember?

They already have international TV deals, so there's limited-if-any new revenue to be found there. TV is much, much, much bigger business in America than it is anywhere else in the world. There's simply no other way to generate cash on that level, for a wrestling company. They could try to continue, but there would have to be massive downsizing.

They may be able to land a deal with a smaller network, or might even work something out with Spike, but I can't see it being worth near as much money. Even with Spike, they've been gutting everything they can to cut costs. There can only be so much left to operate on a smaller budget.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:25 pm

Yeah, I thought recalled weekly PPV's being financially horrendous. I can't for the life of me think of a network of any size to net them national coverage in the U.S picking them up, at least not in a decent slot. This might very well be the end of TNA.