Spike drops TNA

Discuss the latest happenings in GFW. Share your thoughts, opinions, etc...
Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Re: Spike drops TNA

Post by Greg_McNeish » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:13 pm

They had 1.5 million TV viewers then, and for the past half year have been at 900,000. That's 60%, not 80-85%. As well, Destination America has 60% the market penetration as Spike, so if that's applied evenly to the viewership, you're down to 36% the '06-'09 days. That's a baseline viewership of 540,000, and if the same percentage is applied to attendance, you're looking at 1440 people. Yeah, that's a heck of a lot better than Bethlehem, but isn't exactly a number to get excited about.

Anyway, judging by Destination America's press release, and using some business analysis, it's pretty clear that they're going to try to leverage TNA's consistent viewership to get cable & satellite companies to put them on lower tiers, where they'll get more market penetration, and therefore more money. In other words, they're attempting to use TNA as a vehicle to become a more mainstream network. Needless to say, that's a... bold move. If it fails, the lack of availability for so much of Impact's regular viewership would likely become irreparable. As well, with how it's framed, I get the impression that a lot of TNA's compensation is conditional.

All of which is to say that they're not out of the woods yet, by a long shot.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

Bob
Developmental Talent

Post by Bob » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:27 pm

Good analysis there Greg but my point is overall that they would have more hardcore loyal fanbases in certain areas than others and I cannot figure out why they don't rotate around those areas rather than going to places like Bowie and Bethlehem where they are drawing pretty poor numbers for a company that is supposedly number 2 in the market. I suppose its a bit like testing the water but my goodness at what a cost at such pitiful attendances. Reminds me of reading about some of the WCW attendances in the early 1990s in Eric Bischoff's book Controversy Creates Cash and how he started to try and rectify it when he came into power in 1993. Wouldn't do Dixie any harm to read it. lol.

Just out of curiosity Greg where would you hold TV tapings and pay per view events in 2015 if you were in charge of TNA?

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:13 pm

Yes, Greg, where would you hold taping and PPVs?

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:58 am

Oh right. I had been writing up a big response to this, but fell asleep before finishing, and woke up to my computer having rebooted for a Windows update. Forgot to come back to it. #MyBad

First off, if I've got total control, I'm ditching PPVs entirely. They don't bring in any significant money, they've shown to not be the ticket drivers they used to be, and with the demographic realities of the new television deal (at least for now), they just don't make sense. Better to stop pretending TNA is a "wrestling" company, accept that it's a television company, and start focusing on the business of television. That includes doing away with the idiotic PPVs-as-Impact-episodes model they've been using. Treat it like NXT before the Network specials, or like the WWE's ECW, which both got rave reviews as being terrific television. One of the things that made them work so well was that they didn't have set finish lines for story arcs, or mile markers along the way. When a story called for a title match, they had one. When it didn't, they didn't. Everything had the ability to evolve organically. When you're doing television 52 weeks of the year, don't artificially impose "season finales".

With that in mind, the best course of action for television venues is to find a permanent home, so that they have a controlled, known studio to work with. This ensures they can maximize production values, by knowing exactly how the lighting and acoustics of the building work. In that regard, the Manhattan Center is a great fit, as it's got an interesting look, top quality theatre lighting, terrific acoustics, and it's in the middle of New York City, so you're always going to have enough people in the crowd that you're not having to use clever camera tricks to hide how empty it is. Heck, if not many people show up, the balcony setup looks fine all by itself, as a backdrop. Anyway, that's if the rent is cheap enough to be viable as a permanent home. If not, then the same criteria should be applied to finding a different permanent location: Interesting backdrop, good lighting and acoustics, and in an urban base where you can be reasonably assured of a constant audience.

The number of people that come to the show is largely irrelevant, as ticket sales are not a major source of revenue. What's important is that the audience size is comparable to the venue size. Similarly, ticket prices should be low enough that they're not a barrier for people to come out every 4 weeks. They shouldn't be free, because as they demonstrated in Orlando, when the audience doesn't have skin in the game, they often won't give a fuck what's going on, but even a token admission price of a dollar or two is enough to keep those useless audience members away.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but that's where TNA's business reality dictates they go.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:27 am

Well said Greg, solid points raised and I agree with them all as far as TNA is concerned.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:14 pm

Personally don't think the Impact Zone crowd was bad at all. Who could get invested with the bull shit they were watching?

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:40 pm

Certainly not you or I, but there are psychological effects to paying admission that are useful in this respect. When you've paid for something, you feel an inherent sense that you should get value out of it, so you will subconsciously – and sometimes consciously – search for something, anything that you can cling to as vindication that you didn't make a terrible decision. When something is free, you start from a position of being told that it's valueless, so any emotional investment you're going to make has to be pulled out of you.

It's the same thing with folks pirating PPVs all these years. A lot of the IWC rage that would just tear down every single show, even when it was really enjoyable to so many others, stems from them justifying their decision not to pay anything for it. Money is nothing but a psychological tool, after all.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:48 pm

Greg_McNeish wrote:Certainly not you or I, but there are psychological effects to paying admission that are useful in this respect. When you've paid for something, you feel an inherent sense that you should get value out of it, so you will subconsciously – and sometimes consciously – search for something, anything that you can cling to as vindication that you didn't make a terrible decision. When something is free, you start from a position of being told that it's valueless, so any emotional investment you're going to make has to be pulled out of you.

It's the same thing with folks pirating PPVs all these years. A lot of the IWC rage that would just tear down every single show, even when it was really enjoyable to so many others, stems from them justifying their decision not to pay anything for it. Money is nothing but a psychological tool, after all.
I went to wrestling shows where I was gifted tickets and still had a great time. I'm not sure your theory necessarily holds much weight without some kind of case study.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:01 pm

You aren't exactly a typical wrestling fan (or person in general). You approach situations specifically looking to suspend your disbelief, which is what I've always enjoyed about your match analysis. Your starting point and angle of approach are not indicative of general society, and what I'm talking about here is definitely generalised.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:00 pm

I'm taking what you said as,

"You are unique and different from everyone else, keep it up."

What were we talking about again?

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:26 pm

I think you nailed it

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:26 am

Just keep Rick Rude-ing.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:54 pm

I checked my tv guide today and notice impact wrestling is off of spike tv
but I went on impactwrestling.com and they said they got a new channel
offer on destination America starting January 15th.

That is good news but wonder what channel impact be on in Canada thow?

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:46 pm

It won't be on any channel in Canada now.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:16 pm

Most Canadian cable & satellite providers do not carry Destination America. Which company are you with, isrs?

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:50 pm

I'm fairly certain there's no providers carrying Destination America in this country. Even a basic Google search yielded no results.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:36 pm

Yeah, I was mixing it up with AXS TV, the new home of New Japan. TNA is shopping Impact to Canadian television stations. Until they get someone to sign with them, Impact will not be broadcast in Canada.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:48 pm

Ah, an understandable but inexcusable mistake. You conflated TNA, the televised laughing stock of professional wrestling with New Japan, the best promotion in the world at present. That's...For you, quite surprising.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:42 am

I did not, no. I conflated one television station I'd never heard of and don't receive with another television station I'd never heard of and don't receive. I had to look them both up on Wikipedia, which I did about a week apart, and misremembered in which article I'd read that tidbit.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:03 am

But still...The fact that one carries TNA and the other carries New Japan should work to mentally differentiate between the two.